Chapter 6

Till We Meet Again

Soo Hyuk was up early on Sunday. He had a long list of things to do that day. The restaurant will open at 12 noon instead of the usual 10 a.m. opening time. This change in timing only happens on the last Sunday of each month. The whole team of chefs were gathered inside the restaurant as early as 7.30 a.m.; two of the interns trying their best to hide their occasional yawns. Alex, the assistant head chef, glared at them, earning apologetic nods from the two.

“Alright guys, this is only the second time we’re doing this, but I believe you know the drill. Alex, you’re in charge of presentation. The bento MUST look good to taste good. Chiang, you’ll be the leader at the packing station. Make sure that each bento is packed in the paper bag with a bottled water and Christmas gingerbread cookie. Min, you’ll do the quality checks. I need to have all 60 bento sets ready in 2 hours. The rest of you, follow the teams you’re assigned to and assist. I’ll be checking on today’s menu in the kitchen. I’ll come out later to do the final checks. Are we ready, team?” Soo Hyuk commanded.

“Yes Chef!” the team responded.

“Let’s go!” Soo Hyuk cheered and entered the kitchen.

He pulled out the checklist pinned on the noticeboard and went around the kitchen to do the necessary checks. All the meat ingredients have been marinated the night before, so he only had to finish making the sauces and soup for some of the dishes. He folded his sleeves and began cutting a handful of lemongrass and spring onions, and slicing some garlic. These would make the base for the sauces. He skilfully picked up other ingredients and continued chopping and slicing. The chopped ingredients went into a pan and began to sizzle in the heat. Ahh, I’ll never get tired of this sizzling sound and sweet aroma, he thought.

He added soy sauce and his secret sauce to top it off. This secret sauce was a concoction of special ingredients that only Alex, his assistant chef knew of. It was a family recipe that has been passed down in his family for at least 5 generations already. After finishing up the preparation for the menu of the day, he moved on to the empty bento box that was sitting at the edge of the countertop. He smiled, as he thought about what to fill it with.

Alex entered the kitchen just as Soo Hyuk placed the finishing touch on the bento he was working on.

“Chef, we’re almost done outside. Do you want to come and see?” he asked.

Soo Hyuk raised himself from his leaning position and grabbed the hand towel. He tried to shift his body to cover the bento but it seemed like Alex had already caught a glimpse of it.

“Sure, I’ll be out in a moment,” he replied.

“Okay. Um, by the way chef, who is that extra bento for?” Alex questioned with a raised eyebrow.

“Oh uh…it’s….it’s for me,” Soo Hyuk answered, flustered.

Noticing the Head Chef a little jumpy, Alex smirked. “Well if it was for yourself, you could have asked any one of us to help you pack it. I’ll see you outside, Chef,” he chuckled and gave a wink before he left.

Soo Hyuk laughed and stepped outside.

“Perfect. I think we’re good to go, guys! I’ll trust you to have these bento sets delivered to the church after this. Min and team, I’ll meet you there later at 10.30 okay. The rest of you, go and prepare the restaurant for today’s lunch service. Do note that I’m taking the day off. If any problems come up, go straight to Alex,” Soo Hyuk informed the team after checking on the paper bags. He gave everyone a thumbs-up.

“Yes Chef!” the team chorused.

Soo Hyuk looked at his watch. It was almost 9.30. He had less than an hour to change and freshen up before his meeting with So Eun outside the church. Luckily for him, his apartment was only 2 blocks away from the restaurant. He sped off in his car.

 

*******
 

Donning the blush pink peplum dress that she had received from Aunty Se Ra yesterday, So Eun sat in front of the dressing table. She had worn another layer of warm innerwear inside paired with black leggings. She sighed when she reached for her make-up bag. They only contained her basic make-up that she had prepared for her short trip. There were only a couple of lip balms and lip stains, her eyeliner and eyebrow pencil, some creams and moisturisers, which were sufficient for her two weeks of training sessions. Oh well, what am I sighing for? This is only a casual meeting with him.

She began putting on her usual light make-up and filled in her brows. Once she was done, she noticed Aunty Se Ra standing at the door of her room.

“Aunty, what are you doing there? Come on in,” she invited her.

Aunty Se Ra entered with a bigger stash of makeup in her hands.

“I was just looking at you dear. It feels like I’m watching my daughter grow up. But you can’t go out like this. Sure, you already look good, but I’ll doll you up a bit more to give that little bit of glow,” Aunty Se Ra winked. I hope this one’s a fine boy. You deserve the best, Eun-ie.

“It’s okay, Aunty. I’m just going out with a friend,” So Eun politely declined.

“I insist. Now, just stay there and trust me,” Aunty Se Ra asserted.

She immediately pulled out her makeup brushes and started going over her niece’s light makeup. So Eun was left speechless but she did as told and stayed on her chair.

“Now……doesn’t this look much better?” affirmed Aunty Se Ra, as she turned So Eun’s body towards the mirror.

So Eun let out a small gasp, slowly nodding in agreement. This was perfect. Thank you Aunty.

 

*******
 

Soo Hyuk was sitting on the parapet outside Holy Rosary Cathedral. A white sweatshirt hugged his body, paired with his favourite pair of light grey jeans. He slipped a black leather jacket on top to provide him warmth in the chilly morning. He also completed his look with a matching leather duffel bag and black boots. Although he usually had his hair up with some pomade, he didn’t have a lot of time to tame his crown earlier this morning. Thus he chose to keep his hair down in a neat style. He thought it went well with his casual look anyway. As he waited, he began to feel nervous. Breathe Hyuk, breathe.

At exactly 10.30, So Eun emerged from the blue sedan that Soo Hyuk had recognised from the other day. Once the car drove off, he jumped off the parapet and approached her.

He had wanted to greet her first, but he couldn’t find the right words to say after setting his eyes on her. She looked so stunning in her outfit and her face glowed in all the right places.

Breaking the silence, So Eun greeted, “Good morning, Soo Hyuk-sshi. Am I late?” She was worried as she noticed that Soo Hyuk’s ears had turned a little red, probably from waiting out in the cold.

“Good morning, So Eun-sshi. No, you’re right on time,” he assured her, pointing to the watch on his wrist. He smiled.

“That’s good. I thought you’ve waited for a long time because your ears have turned red,” she added.

Hearing that, Soo Hyuk mentally slapped himself, realising that his ears have turned red because he had blushed.

Oblivious, So Eun continued, “Also, I was wondering why we’re meeting up here? Are we going for church service this morning?”

“Well, the Sunday Mass is actually about to end in another fifteen minutes. I thought you could help me out today to distribute bento sets that my team and I have prepared for the patrons once they’re done,” Soo Hyuk explained.

“Oh, I’d love to! That sounds wonderful,” So Eun replied, beaming.

Soo Hyuk gladly led her towards the porch of the cathedral, where his team had set up tables with the paper bags of bento sets neatly arranged. Other than himself, there were three other team members with him. So Eun politely greeted them. Soon, the church bell rang to signal the end of service. People began streaming out in small groups. The whole team, including So Eun got ready to give out the foodstuff. Smiles and cheers of delight could be seen and heard from the patrons as they received the neatly packed food. After the last of the paper bags have been distributed, Soo Hyuk’s team excused themselves to go back to the restaurant. He thanked the team for their efforts and dismissed them. After they left, he found So Eun looking straight at him.

“What is it?” he asked.

“It’s nothing. I just feel good that you’ve gotten me to do a good deed today,” she laughed. “Do you do this every week?” She was curious.

He laughed along. “I plan to do this once a month, on the last Sunday of each month. Today’s only the second time. Back in Korea, we give out food packs to different charities during Chuseok and Christmas Eve. So I thought I’d start something different in Vancouver.”

“That’s very kind of you,” she replied in awe. Soo Hyuk-sshi, you’re truly amazing.

“Well, the pastor has been very kind to me over the years, from the time when I used to study here in Vancouver. He’s helped me in my healing, so this is my way of repaying him, and giving back to the society. You know, paying it forward.  When someone does good unto you, you do it unto someone else,” Soo Hyuk explained. “Anyway, enough about that. Do you want to take a look inside?” he added.

Helped in your healing? So Eun nodded, still reeling in his words. “I thought you’d never ask.”

They walked down the church aisle, looking at the intricate murals that adorned the walls. Soo Hyuk started becoming like a tour guide, and showed her around. The pastor was resting in his room when Soo Hyuk knocked on the door.

“Come in,” the pastor called. “Why, if it isn’t our handsome Hyuk! And who’s this you’ve brought?” he exclaimed the moment he saw Soo Hyuk.

Soo Hyuk smiled shyly, but didn’t answer. “How’d you like the bento, Sir?” he asked, diverting from the question.

The pastor laughed. “It looks great, but I haven’t tasted it yet. I’ll give you my honest reviews once I’ve eaten it. Then again, if it came from your heart, I’m sure it’ll taste fantastic,” he reckoned.

Feeling a little left out, So Eun introduced herself. “Good morning Sir, I’m a friend of Soo Hyuk. Nice to meet you,” she bowed.

The pastor bowed back. “Nice to meet you too. Now what can I do for you?” he asked them both.

“I actually just wanted to drop by and give my greetings. But since you’ve asked, could I request for a little prayer to hope for the weather to be good today and for our endeavours to go smoothly, for both me and her?” Soo Hyuk answered sincerely.

“I’ll always pray for the best for you, my boy,” the pastor replied and patted him on the shoulder.

Soo Hyuk and So Eun left the room with light steps and hearts full of hope.

 

*******

 

So Eun waited near the parapet outside the church as Soo Hyuk went to get his car. He soon arrived before her in a sleek, black convertible. Hmm, black must be his favourite colour. Soo Hyuk stepped out to bring her to the passenger seat.

Once she got on the car, she asked, “Soo Hyuk-sshi, don’t you have to get back to work?”

“Don’t worry. I already took the day off because---,“ Soo Hyuk started.

“Because…it’s your birthday,” So Eun interjected. “Happy birthday, Soo Hyuk-sshi,” she added. So Eun fished for a small, wrapped gift in her handbag and shyly held it out towards him.

For the second time that day, Soo Hyuk had no words to say. He could feel his ears heating up, and almost wanted to blame her for always making him lose his ‘coolness’. He doesn’t always show his feelings but when she’s around, he can’t help but to bask in her warmth and radiance. It melted his cold exterior and made him feel all fuzzy inside. He didn’t know how to describe it, but he knew he enjoyed it.

Seeing him silent, So Eun coughed. “Um, Soo Hyuk-sshi. Are you going to take my gift or not? My hands are tired,” she joked as she wiggled the gift in front of his face.

Soo Hyuk laughed and took the gift from her hands and the corners of his lips lifted up. “I’m sorry, and thank you So Eun-sshi.”

“It’s really nothing, but I hope you like it. You can open it and try it on,” said So Eun.

“No, it’s the thought that counts. I wasn't expecting a gift too,” he replied. Gently, he untied the blue ribbon around the pouch and opened it. It revealed a pair of club master sunglasses with black and silver rims. The lenses were a cool shade of blue and reflected into a spectrum of aquamarine tones when under the sunlight. Soo Hyuk picked them up and slid them on. He checked his reflection in the rear-view mirror and was pleased at how it looked on him. He turned towards her.

She smiled and gave a thumbs-up in approval.

“They look great on you, and they kind of match your outfit today too. You look fresh and sharp,” she commented as she admired his features. And your hair looks good too when it’s down and combed like that, she thought. She almost said more than she should.

“Thank you. You look beautiful today too, I’d wanted to say it the moment I saw you,” he confessed.

So Eun felt her cheeks burn. Both of them went silent once more. Soo Hyuk some music to save the situation and drove off. Ignoring the music from the speakers, the drive towards Jericho beach was quieter than he had imagined. So Eun had not said anything after the last comment he made. He tried to make her comfortable by asking about her favourite music and about what she thought of Vancouver so far. Thankfully, she responded to his questions although she kept her gaze on her lap.

“Look out there, isn’t it beautiful, So Eun-sshi,” Soo Hyuk pointed out the window, one hand still on the steering wheel.

It was the first time he saw So Eun look up from just now and he smiled. Finally, he thought. She seemed to have forgotten about the awkwardness and started getting all excited about the view.

“Wow, indeed it is! The sea looks like an endless blanket of shimmery blue, and the birds above are flying harmoniously in splendid patterns, like a painting,” So Eun said, her head leaning closer to the window.

Soo Hyuk slowed the car down so that she could enjoy the scene. Soon, he found a parking space and invited her out to take a walk on the beach. They got off the car and began stepping towards the beach. There were not many people out at the beach as it was winter and the sea breeze was rather chilly that day. However, the weather was not enough to make So Eun and Soo Hyuk shy away from the beach. The mountains in the distant horizon looked blurry because of the fog but the effect made So Eun feel dreamy. Soo Hyuk felt the same way too. He had never imagined taking a stroll on the beach with the girl who had sat next to him on the plane a week back. The same girl who had been at his restaurant. The same girl who had made his heart beat faster. The same girl who he wanted to meet again and again.

 

A/N: I had a lot of fun writing this chapter and the next. The next one's almost done, just needs some editing. This is a fictional story but I tried to include real places so I had to do a bit of research since I don't live in Canada (so don't ask me why I chose this as the setting lol). Anyway, happy new year everyone! May this year bring peace, love and happiness in your hearts :)