Chapter 5

Till We Meet Again

"So Eun-ie, are you up yet? I've baked your favourite apple pie! Come eat it while it's hot!" Aunty Se Ra's voice could be heard coming from the kitchen.  

So Eun stirred under her duvet. She stretched her arms out before squinting at the alarm clock on the bedside table. It was already 10 in the morning. She let out another yawn as she replayed the events that occurred last night. Was it a dream? Even So Eun didn't seem to be sure. She climbed out of bed and looked for the coat that she had dropped beside her bed last night before she had completely drifted off into dreamland. It was no longer on the floor and was now hanging neatly on the coat hanger. Her hand instinctively slipped into her coat pocket and pulled out a name card.  

It read:"Lee Soo Hyuk. ChefWorks Asian-Fusion Dining." The restaurant's phone number was printed neatly on the bottom and on the flipside, Soo Hyuk had written down his personal phone number. 

So it wasn't a dream after all. 

So Eun headed downstairs after brushing her pearly whites and washing her face. The enticing smell of home-baked apple pie filled the entire living room.  

"Good morning, dear. Aren't you looking lovely?" Aunty Se Ra chimed as soon as she saw So Eun and gave her a kiss on the cheek. 

So Eun chuckled. "Lovely? You're too nice, Aunty. I haven't even brushed my hair," she confessed and ran her fingers through her tangled tresses. 

"But I spot a glow on your face, darling. Something great must have happened yesterday," she winked. 

A blush attempted to creep up her cheeks but So Eun dismissed it with a laugh. 

Both of them enjoyed the generous slices of apple pie while listening to the morning news on the radio. Aunty Se Ra began story-telling about how she used to be really close with So Eun's mother when they were younger. They would always play pretend, and her mum would fight for the doctor's set, insisting that she had to be the doctor. Aunty Se Ra didn't mind being the patient all the time. Once, when they were 6, she fell really sick and So Eun's mother rushed to her side with the pretend doctor's set, and thoroughly checked on her condition with the toys. It was no surprise that she became a doctor later in life. So Eun erupted into laughter hearing all the funny stories. It reminded her of her childhood with Ha Neul too. 

They continued sharing stories about skiing and Aunty Se Ra talked about how she and her sister were amazed when they first brought So Eun to ski. She was such a natural, sliding down the slopes like she was in her own element. So Eun also shared about her recent training sessions with her newly-formed team and how Coach Kang had asked her to focus on alpine skiing. She admitted that she actually enjoyed the moguls category more as it was more challenging, but she understands that she needs to take small steps as she had just returned from an injury. Aunty Se Ra patted her niece's arm. 

"Don't worry Eun-ie. We'll all be supporting you no matter what you choose to do," Aunty Se Ra encouraged her. 

So Eun nodded and excused herself to make a quick phone call. 

 

******* 

  

Bzz. Bzzz. Bzz. Bzzz. 

Ha Neul's phone was on vibrate mode on the sofa. He had just finished making a glass of warm milk and was settling himself back on the sofa again.  

Bzz. Bzzz. Bzz. Bzzz. 

He noticed his vibrating device. "Who is it calling me at this time of night? Aish," he cursed as he looked at the clock. It was already 1 a.m. 

"Hello?" he started, his voice a little groggy and croaky. 

"Ha Neul? Is that you? You sound a little weird," uttered So Eun. 

His frown changed into a smile upon hearing her soothing voice. "Well, what do you expect to hear when you call me at 1 in the morning, dumbo? I can't sound chirpy 24/7can I? Also, I think I might be coming down with a sore throat." Ha Neul coughed. 

So Eun looked at the clock and felt apologetic that she forgot about the 14-hour time difference. "Oh my, I'm so sorry. I forgot all about that since it's still 11 a.m. here. Yeah, you don't sound too good. Did you take some meds?" she asked, concerned. 

"No. I just got myself a glass of warm milk so I can sleep well. I'm afraid if I pop some pills, I won't be able to wake up for my early call time later," Ha Neul answered. 

"Oh you poor thing. Can’t you tell manager-oppa that you're unwell and take the day off? I'm sure he understands," she suggested. 

"I can't. I have an important script reading for the new movie I'm shooting. I'm one of the leading roles and it's the first script reading session, so I can't afford to be absent. Many of the top senior actors will be there too, they'll think I'm a snob if I don't turn up," he sighed. 

So Eun sighed too. "I'll phone Appa later, and get him to prescribe you a bottle of Vitamin C. I'll ask him to send Driver Shin to drop them off with some of Omma's specially brewed herbal drinks to your place." 

Ha Neul chuckled. "It's okay Eun-ah. Don't trouble them. I'll be fine if I get some sleep," he insisted. 

"No you're not okay. I know how stubborn you can be. Just make sure to take the Vitamin C tablets and herbal drinks when they arrive later. No excuses. Now go get some sleep, I'll call you back when you're better. Take care," she argued. 

"Fine, missy. You win. You take care too. Is everything going well there? You're not meeting any strange guys right?" he questioned. He had a strange feeling about this. 

"It is! Skiing's great so far but the weather is freezing. And no, of course I'm not. Go to bed, Ha Neul," she said. Soo Hyuk's not a strange guy, so I'm not lying right? I'll tell him about it another time.  

"That's good. Goodbye Eun-ah," he finished. 

 

******* 

 

That afternoon, Aunty Se Ra brought So Eun out for some shopping. She knew her niece had a tight training schedule and could only spare some free time this weekend. It was 12 degrees outside, but the sun was up and bathed the city in its warmth. The both of them basked in the delightful weather and took a stroll across the park to reach Downtown Vancouver, which was well-known as a shopping heaven. True enough, the surrounding streets were lined with shops and boutiques selling a variety of clothes, bags, accessories and even luxe items.  

Aunty Se Ra recommended some popular shops that carried exclusive brands at affordable prices. So Eun was spoilt for choice as she browsed through the racks, finding an outfit that suited her taste. She managed to pick out and try on a few dresses, but none of them felt right. Finally in one of the shops, Aunty Se Ra pulled out a peplum dress in a blush pink tone, that had an intricate lace pattern on the cuff of its long sleeves. Lace ts with a detailed beading also decorated the neckline and made it look exquisite. The material was warm but not too thick. So Eun gushed at its beauty. Her aunt pushed her inside the dressing room and waited outside.  

So Eun emerged from the dressing room looking polished in the beautiful dress. 

"You look stunning dear!" commented Aunty Se Ra, wide-eyed. 

So Eun did a little twirl in front of the full-length mirror and her cheeks began turning as pink as the dress. The shop owner came over with a long, tan coat. 

"She's right. That dress fits you perfectly, Miss. Would you like to try this coat on too? I think it matches well with the dress," she added. 

Aunty Se Ra took the coat from the shop owner and helped So Eun to put it on. She smiled and nodded. 

"This coat and that dress looks wonderful on you, darling. I'm going to get them both for you," exclaimed Aunty Se Ra excitedly. 

"Thanks Aunty," So Eun replied shyly 

The two of them walked out of the store happily and made a few more pitstops to get some accessories. So Eun also remembered to pick out a gift. By then, it was almost 4.30 in the afternoon and the sky was turning dark. 

"I think we should head back, Aunty," suggested So Eun as she looked up at the sky. 

"We should. Do you have any plans tomorrow? If you don't, I can show you around some of my favourite places in the city," offered Aunty Se Ra. 

They continued on their way home, back through the park, where the lights from the lamp posts began to turn on. It lit the pathway nicely. 

"I actually do. I'm going out with Soo Hh...Min. Soo Min," So Eun caught herself from blurting out his name. 

"Soo Min? You have a Korean friend here?" asked Aunty Se Ra, unconvinced. Her eyebrow twitched. 

"Yeah. We met on the plane on the way to Vancouver, and we exchanged contact numbers. He said....I mean sshh...she said she'll bring me around. Ss-he...she studied here so she knows this place pretty well," So Eun explained, her eyes focused on the ground. 

I'm sorry Aunty. I don’t mean to keep it from you, but I don't want you to think too much of it. And if you knew, you'll definitely tell Omma. 

"Aww, how sweet of her. Then you'll wear this dress and coat tomorrow right? I was tidying up your clothes earlier and I saw that you only brought mostly your training clothes and down jackets. You're not going out in those attire are you? It's Sunday tomorrow and I forbid you from putting on those clothes. You need to go out and have fun, darling," Aunty Se Ra responded with a wink. 

"If you say so, Aunty," So Eun conceded. 

Aunty Se Ra smiled knowingly, recalling the name card that she found on the floor while she was cleaning up her niece's clothes in the morning.  

 

~flashback~

So Eun had been fast asleep when Aunty Se Ra entered the room and she had noticed her niece's coat on the floor. She was surprised to find a name card lying under the coat and placed it back in the coat pocket, noting the name of the person on the card. She grinned and gently pulled the blanket, tucking So Eun in, who was peacefully smiling in her sleep before leaving the room. 

~end of flashback~

 

******* 

 

Bzzzz.  

A text message received from 'Chef Soo'. So Eun had taken a while to think of what to save Soo Hyuk's contact name as, and she finally came up with such. She thought it sounded cute. 

Chef Soo @ 8.55 p.m.  
~ So Eun-sshi, can we meet outside the Holy Rosary Cathedral on Richards St at 10.30 tomorrow morning? Do you know how to get there? If not, I can come over to your place to fetch you. ~ 

So Eun @ 8.58 p.m. 
~ Sure, I think I saw that church when I was out with my aunt earlier. I'll make my own way there tomorrow morning. Thanks for the offer! ~ 

Chef Soo @ 9.00 p.m. 
~ That's great then! I'll see you tomorrow. Have a good sleep and dress warmly okay? :) ~ 

So Eun @ 9.03 p.m. 
~ You too, Soo Hyuk-sshi. Sweet dreams. ~ 

 

I wonder why he asked to meet outside the church tomorrow. Is he going for service? Hmm I guess I'll find out tomorrow then. It'll be nice to explore the inside too. The church already looked charming from the exterior when I saw it with Aunty Se Ra just now. Better sleep early so I won't be late.