Chapter 13

Till We Meet Again

A/N: Brace yourselves for this chapter guys. I’ve actually had this in my draft since the time I posted the last chapter, but I took a long time to post it because I kept having different ideas on which direction to go. But alas, it’s here (and slightly longer than usual)! Quote of the week: Good things come to those who wait. Thanks for all the love, till then, have a great week! ❤

 

*******

Soo Hyuk was in the restaurant kitchen, doing a demonstration for his fellow chefs because he wanted to introduce a new menu item at his Chinese-Korean fusion restaurant. He had marinated the duck the night before so that the flavours of soy sauce and other spices would be infused in the meat. After 50 minutes in the oven, the suave chef pulled out the tray of duck. The juices were seeping out, coating the golden-brown skin of the duck. The younger chefs clapped at the sight of the perfectly cooked dish. He set the dish aside and went to check on his soup. After adding some salt, he stirred the soup and prepared to serve. First, he sliced the roasted duck into thin strips and arranged them on a plate with a watercress salad at the side. The soup was served in a medium bowl and topped with five dumplings each, dressed with finely chopped spring onions.

“Alright guys, have a taste! Let me know what you think. I want your honest opinions,” announced Soo Hyuk.

One by one the team of chefs savoured their head chef’s cooking. While they chewed the food, everyone looked at each other and gave approving nods. Soo Hyuk observed their reactions and all of them seemed pleased.

Daebak, Chef! This has to be your best dish yet!” exclaimed one of the younger chefs.

“I agree. The duck meat is so tender and juicy. The dumplings are soft yet not too mushy,” another chef echoed. The rest of them nodded their heads and gave their thumbs-up.

In the midst of their cheers, the waitress barged in and interrupted them.

“Excuse me, Chef Lee. There’s a couple outside who wants to meet you.”

Soo Hyuk nodded in understanding and stood up to clean his hands and straighten his outfit before making his way outside. He noticed a familiar figure, with her auburn hair cascading down her back, walking from her table towards the restaurant exit. She was holding a beautiful bouquet of peonies. Isn’t that So Eun? What is she doing here? He wanted to chase after her but the waitress was directing him towards the two guests. He gave her a final look before quickly heading towards the couple.

Mama Kim’s face lit up when she saw Soo Hyuk. He was indeed a handsome young man.

“Good evening, Sir and Madam. I’m Lee Soo Hyuk, the head chef of this restaurant,” he introduced himself and bowed respectfully.

The parents acknowledged him. “Ahh we didn’t know the head chef would be this young. We just wanted to extend our gratitude and compliments for making such delightful dishes. We are truly impressed. My daughter loved the food too but she had just left for another appointment.” Soo Hyuk felt a little nervous. So…they must be So Eun’s parents, right?

“Thank you, Sir and Madam. I’ll be glad to serve you the next time you come,” he smiled. It was not often that customers gave direct compliments to the chef, so he was glad they did. It also meant that he earned another compliment from So Eun.

Papa Kim handed his name card to the chef. “I’m Doctor Kim from the Seoul University Hospital, let me know if you’re having any health issues. My wife and I will be glad to offer assistance, though I doubt you’ll need it seeing how healthy you look.”

Soo Hyuk grinned. If only they knew, he thought. “Thank you for this. I think I’ll need it. I apologise but I have to head back now, have a great evening!” He bowed again before leaving to trail after the girl that he caught sight of earlier.

However, he couldn’t find a trace of her outside the restaurant. She wasn’t near the taxi stand or the bus stop. A long sigh escaped his lips. Just when he was about to give up, he spotted her brightly-coloured hair in the distance, skipping towards the nearby park. She looked cheerful and carefree, the joy evident up to her cheekbones. A smile grew on his lips as he caught sight of her, and he quickly made his way towards her. He hadn’t had the chance to congratulate her properly on her victory in the skiing competition earlier.

With light steps, So Eun approached the playground where she used to frequent with Ha Neul when they were younger. From afar, she noticed the area around the swings brightly lit. What’s happening? Where’s Ha Neul? When she came nearer, she realised that the lights were actually candles surrounding the swings in a circle. One of the swings was decorated with flowers and on the seat, was a sticky note that said: Sit here. So Eun chuckled at the extravagant setting but followed the instructions. She sat and waited for her best friend to arrive, trying to figure out his intentions while cradling the bouquet that he gave her. While still in a daze, she felt a pair of warm hands on her shoulder gently rocking her on the swing. She turned to find Ha Neul in a smart white shirt and dress pants, looking dashing.

Yah, Ha Neul! What’s the occasion? Why are you dressed so nicely? And what is all this?!” She looked confused.

“So Eun, there’s something I’ve been wanting to tell you, but I was waiting for the right moment. I specially prepared all of this to tell you tonight,” he started. His voice was a little shaky.

So Eun looked at him intently, still unsure what to expect.

“What is it? Go on and tell me, you’re making me all nervous,” she said.

“So Eun-ah,” he paused. “…When you’re not with me, I worry about you, and when I don’t see you, I really miss you. I want to be there for you forever. To be beside you, and to be taking care of you. I want to share my happiest and saddest moments with you. Only with you.” Again, he paused.

So Eun continued to stare at him.

Ha Neul took in a deep breath. “Kim So Eun, I love you, more than just as a best friend,” he confessed.

A shockwave shot through her body at his sudden confession, making her feel dizzy. His confession replayed in her head but she could not form any words in response. Was he playing a prank on her? She looked at his face to look for any sign of mischief but all she saw was his teary and sincere eyes staring back at her.

Ha Neul came closer to her. “I know it sounds a bit sudden, but I mean everything I say. You know that the best, right? So the question now is, So Eun-ah, will you be my girlfriend?” He opened a blue velvet box that revealed a silver infinity bracelet.

So Eun was at a loss for words. Her best friend had just poured out his true feelings to her but she did not know what to do. She loved him too, but she was not sure if she loved him more than just a friend. As much as he can be annoying, she knows how thoughtful he is and how much effort he took to prepare all this. Not just this, but he was always there to lend her support. The last thing she wanted was for him to get hurt. Finally, she mustered enough courage to speak.

“Ha Neul…to be honest…I feel a bit lost right now. This is such a beautiful setting, and that bracelet is stunning…but I don’t know. I’m not sure. You know I love you too, but this is too much for me to take in for tonight. I’m sorry,” she muttered softly.

Ha Neul looked disappointed. He fixed his gaze on the ground. “I understand. I know you’re not the type to accept anything without contemplation. I’ll wait for your answer. For now, you should go have a good rest. I’ll send you home.”

“Can you send me to my parents’ house? I want to be with them tonight. Thank you Ha Neul, for everything.” She went over to give him a light hug.

From the corner, Soo Hyuk watched the whole scene unfold in front of him. He had wanted to approach her before, but after seeing the set-up, he knew he had arrived at a bad timing. Although he could not hear anything while standing from his spot behind the wall, he could tell that it was a confession of love. And from the way they hugged at the end, it seemed to be a happy ending. He certainly had not expected to witness a confession, what more towards the girl that he loves too. As sudden as how the scene unfolded, a sharp pain emerged in his chest. It felt tight. He gasped for air as though his lungs had been deprived. Clutching his chest, Soo Hyuk trudged back to the restaurant taking short and sharp breaths. His head and his chest felt heavy. The distant restaurant looked rather blurry but he managed to walk himself back without bumping into anything or anyone. As soon as he entered the rear door of the restaurant, Soo Hyuk collapsed on the cold floor.

 

*******

 

So Eun sat on her bed, staring at the blue velvet box from her best friend. She had not seen this coming from him at all. Although he could be bothersome at times, he was actually such a sweet person. But me and Ha Neul, as a couple? That’s impossible! Then again, knowing how sensitive he is, I don’t want to break his heart. Omma, what do I do now?

As if sensing her thoughts, Mama Kim knocked on her bedroom door.

“Dearie, can I come in?” her warm voice echoed from the other side.

“Sure. Come in Omma, the door’s not locked.”

Mama Kim sat herself next to her daughter and gently massaged her shoulders.

“Why the long face? This is not the look of someone who just won the ski championships…” Mama Kim jested.

So Eun sighed and tried to force a smile. “Omma, before you married Appa, did you know that he was going to be The One?”

Mama Kim laughed at her sudden question. “To be honest, I never knew him before I married him. Our parents arranged the marriage. About a year before I met your dad, there was another man who proposed to me, and I thought at that time that I loved him. But my mum was against the relationship. He never bothered to fight for our relationship and left me. I was heartbroken then. After that, she paired me up with your dad, and I just said yes to avoid her nagging. Lucky for me, I fell in love with your dad after we got married, and now I can’t imagine my life without him.”

“Aww that’s so sweet Omma.” So Eun released a long sigh.

“…Is something bothering you, dear? Is it regarding our boy Ha Neul?”

“Hmm yes…..and no? Well Ha Neul,….he….confessed that he likes me. I mean, he said he loves me more than just a best friend and asked me to be his girlfriend.”

“And? What do you think?”

“That’s the thing Ma, I don’t know. I know he’s been such a wonderful friend, always there to support me. But I’m not sure if I love him in THAT way,” she explained.

Mama Kim nodded. “Let me guess. There’s someone else on your mind?”

So Eun’s eyes widened. “How….how did you know?”

“I’m your Omma, of course I can tell. Okay, so the secret’s out. Who’s this boy? You’re not going to introduce him to me?” Mama Kim smiled.

So Eun felt relieved that she finally told her mum about this. “I will, but not yet. I think we both have mutual feelings but we need to sort that out because we’re still in the stage of getting to know each other.”

“Is he handsome?”

“OMMA! That’s beside the point!” she retorted but continued, “...But if you really need to know, yes he definitely is.” So Eun smiled shyly.

Mama Kim cupped her daughter’s face. “Appa and I really like Ha Neul like our own son, but we want you to be happy, Eun-ah. Follow your heart.”

“But what if while I follow my heart, I break another person’s heart?” So Eun’s eyes filled with tears.

“It’s better to break it sooner than later, honey. It will hurt, but the pain will heal over time,” Mama Kim reassured her daughter.

After Mama Kim left her bedroom, So Eun went ahead to dial Soo Hyuk’s number. She needed to talk to him. However, the call kept getting redirected to his voicemail. He must be busy. I’ll call him back tomorrow, she thought.

 

*******

 

~The next morning~

Soo Hyuk reached for his ringing mobile phone at the edge of the bedside table, struggling to fight his throbbing headache.

“Hello? Soo Hyuk?”

He immediately recognised the sweet voice that came from the receiver.

“Hh-hey…So Eun…”

“Am I disturbing you? …You don’t sound too good. Are you alright?”

“Yeah, I’m good…ugh,” he coughed.

“No, you’re not! Are you at home? You stay near the city centre right? Text me your address, I’ll head right over.”

Amidst the pain, Soo Hyuk almost laughed when he imagined her adorable face nagging at him. Did she just ask for my address? This girl is really something. But he suddenly remembered the scene he saw last night and his face turned grim again.

As if sensing his thoughts, So Eun continued. “Before you start having any funny thoughts, I’m only heading over to check on you okay, nothing else.”

“No, it’s okay. I’m just not feeling well today so I’m resting at home. You don’t have to trouble yourself,” his icy voice returned.

“But I insist. Please? I won’t be able to feel at peace today if I don’t personally check on your condition,” she coaxed him.

Soo Hyuk sighed. “Okay, I’ll text you the address. If I don’t answer the door later, I’m probably asleep. I left the spare keys under the first flower pot by the door.”

After massaging his forehead, he popped some pills and fell back on his pillow. Soon, he drifted off into slumber. He woke up to the enticing aroma of chicken porridge, but he thought he was imagining it because he was famished. However, he felt a warm sensation on his forehead and realised that it was a damp towel. Oh, is she here already? The sound of light footsteps approached his bed. Soo Hyuk closed his eyes and pretended to still be asleep. The towel slipped and dropped by the side of his pillow.

So Eun sat down by the side of the bed and wiped away the beads of perspiration from Soo Hyuk’s forehead before repositioning the towel. She then placed the thermometer against his ear to check for a reading and heaved a sigh of relief when it showed “38.0” degrees Celsius.

“Ahh, at least your fever’s going down,” she whispered, not wanting to wake him.

She ran her fingers through the star charm bracelet that he had around his wrist. So, he’s still wearing this bracelet huh? she thought. A smile spread across her lips. Soo Hyuk had his eyes closed but he could sense her every action, and he felt guilty for pretending to be asleep. Slowly, and as naturally as possible, he stirred and opened his eyes.

“Soo Hyuk…you’re finally awake!” she exclaimed almost too excitedly.

He wasn’t sure what to say next but with his blank expression, he blurted out, “I’m so hungry.”

She chuckled and immediately went to bring him a bowl of chicken porridge. Soo Hyuk propped himself up against the headboard.

“Are you sure you can eat by yourself?” So Eun asked as she passed him the bowl.

He nodded.

“Eat slowly. It’s still hot.” She kept her eyes on him.

Her gaze made him feel so flustered that he forgot to blow on the porridge before putting it into his mouth.

“AH HOT!” he shrieked and coughed when the hot spoonful touched his lips. So Eun shook her head and held out a glass of water for him. The bowl that was in his hands ended up in hers and she scooped a spoonful of porridge and gently blew on it before directing it towards him. He avoided her gaze and gulped down the porridge. It was strange that he seemed to be so jittery around her today, so she knew something was off. She continued feeding him while he ate quietly.

“Are you avoiding me, Soo Hyuk?” So Eun finally asked.

Soo Hyuk ignored her question as he swallowed the chicken slices. Seeing his reaction, her heart deflated a little. Her hands gently caressed his cheek and turned his face towards her.

“Is something wrong?”

They finally locked their gaze into each other’s orbs while an air of silence overcame them. Soo Hyuk looked away first.

“WHY?! Why are you acting like you care so much about me?!” he snapped.

So Eun was taken aback by his sudden outburst. “….But…but I’m not acting. I do care a lot about you,” she choked back on the tears that were starting to form.

Soo Hyuk recalled the man that he saw with So Eun last night. It must have been the person called Ha Neul that she mentioned before. He looked tall, handsome and with that extravagant set-up, he was most definitely a romantic guy. He seemed perfect for her. Unlike me, who have problems overcoming my own struggles. She deserves to be with someone like Ha Neul, he thought.

“You should just forget about me,” he said.

“Soo Hyuk, what do you mean?” Her hands clung onto his arm.

“You’re seeing someone else. You shouldn’t be here with me. I think you should go,” he muttered under his heavy breathing as he removed her grip on his arm.

“Listen, Soo Hyuk! I’m not seeing anyone! You’re getting me wrong!”

“But I saw you last night…at the park,” he stared into her eyes as if demanding the truth.

He witnessed another tear roll down her cheek and he mentally scolded himself for being the reason behind it.

She stared back at him in disbelief. “Last night at the park?!” A mental picture of Ha Neul’s surprise event floated into her mind. Soo Hyuk was there?

“That was Ha Neul. I told you before, he’s a close childhood friend. We grew up together…,” she paused to take in a deep breath. “…Last night, he prepared a special event that caught me off guard and he confessed that he loves me. Not as a friend, but as a man to a woman.”

Soo Hyuk looked away. Holding in his emotions was suffocating. His chest felt like bursting and a hot flush washed over his body. It seemed like his fever was coming back.

“But I can’t accept his feelings, because I think I am in love with someone else. No, scratch that. I know I am,” she admitted, her eyes fixed on his face.

Soo Hyuk rested his head against headboard again to calm himself and released a long sigh. He thought he had seen enough last night, and here she was smashing his already broken heart into pieces. I’ll never have a chance now.

“So Eun, please, I think it’s better that you leave…” he spoke, but was interjected by the girl.

“Soo Hyuk, I’m in love with YOU,” she proclaimed and leaned closer to place a peck on his cheek. The hot tears from her cheeks brushed against his and sent an electric impulse down his spine. Her words and soft kiss left him weak; his throat was sore and his lips parched. So Eun was disappointed at his lack of a reaction and stood up to leave.

“Maybe I should really go,” she whimpered.

As she stepped away, she felt a tug around her wrist.

“No….don’t go!” he called in his raspy voice. “I think I’m starting to hallucinate. Did you just…?” His forehead creased in confusion as he placed his other hand on his cheek. When he felt the dampness from her tears, he knew it was real. The corners of his lips lifted into a grin.

So Eun watched his face turn pink and broke into a smile. His grip around her wrist tightened and he carefully pulled her to sit beside him. He planted a deep kiss on her forehead before he collapsed into the crook of her neck.

“I love you, So Eun. Please don’t leave me,” he whispered, exhausted from the emotional turmoil earlier.

“You’re the one who kept telling me to leave, you babo. I’m not going anywhere until you get better.”

 

*******

 

~3 days later, at Starlight Entertainment office~

The CEO, and two other executives sat across from Ha Neul and his manager.

“Manager-nim and Ha Neul, will you please explain to me what is going on?” one of the executives urged.

He flipped his electronic tablet to face Ha Neul. It showed an online article with a troubling headline.

 

“BREAKING NEWS: Kang Ha Neul Proposed to Skier Girlfriend

DIZPATCH has caught photos of Ha Neul and his girlfriend on several occasions. In the first photo, the two were seen at the airport with a bouquet of flowers. Another one was taken at a recent ski competition where Ha Neul was also seen bringing her some blooms. In the last one, the couple were caught in a sweet date at a playground, where there was a romantic setting with candles. We believe Ha Neul has proposed to his girlfriend and we wish them all the best in their relationship.”

The photos attached in the article were indeed photos of him and So Eun that were caught by the paparazzi. Ha Neul’s face turned red as he held in his anger. If there was one thing he was relieved about, it was that the photos did not clearly disclose So Eun’s face. He did not want to involve her in his lifestyle as a public figure.

Manager-nim looked at Ha Neul, searching for an answer.

“Fine. Those are pictures of me,” Ha Neul started.

“Duh, we know that. Uh, tell us something we DON’T know,” the bosses pressured him.

“It’s really nothing. I met my friend, and that’s it. It was unfortunate that we were caught on camera,” he continued.

“Ha Neul, come on. If it’s flowers and candles at the playground, it doesn’t look like she’s JUST a friend. Come clean, boy. We need to resolve this quickly. Either we deny the rumours straight out, OR we can confirm them.” The CEO looked straight at the actor, ignoring the office phone that has been ringing since morning.

Ha Neul sighed. He did not want So Eun to get hurt by the media, and worse, his extreme fans might send her harsh remarks.

“Okay, give me two days. Stall the media and tell them that you’re still clarifying the issue. I’ll find the best way to solve this by then,” Ha Neul tried to convince them.

The bosses glared at him and gave subtle nods before they stood up and left the room.

Ha Neul looked at his manager with pleading eyes. “Hyung, what do I do now?”

“Ha Neul-ah, this was exactly what I warned you about. But well, you sounded confident when you spoke to the CEO just now. What do you have in mind?”

“Of course, I had to sound confident! It was the only way to get them to leave. Honestly, I have no solutions yet,” Ha Neul revealed.

“Alright, first things first. Let’s get this straight, you and So Eun are not dating, right?” his manager asked.

“No…” he replied.

“That’s good.”

“…But, I confessed to her about my feelings and asked her to be my girlfriend,” Ha Neul continued.

The manager stared at him wide-eyed. “You what?!”