Chapter 6

Listen to my Heart Beat

CHAPTER 6

 

Yuju’s POV

 

Omo omo!

     Why she is leaning towards me? Oh my, our gap is dangerously close! Eotteohke?! Why my heart is pounding so fast? What’s the meaning behind her smirk? And…why I’m becoming so nervous?

I close my eyes.

.

.

.

Wae?

Is she going to kiss me?!

No way!

.

What is taking her so long?

.

.

.

I felt a shook on my shoulder and a fainted voice is calling my name.

     “Unnie? Yuju unnie!”

     “Omo!”

I open my eyes and saw SinB’s worried face.

     “Are you okay?”

I look into her eyes.

     “What happened?” I ask. But SinB doesn’t seems to know about it too. Am I embarrassing myself in front of her? Am I dreaming just now?

     “I don’t know that’s why I ask you.” She said. “Are you okay?”

I nod while hanging my head low.

     “But you doesn’t seem so.” She said again and I heard a faint sigh. “Maybe you are too stress. Come on, follow me.”

     I was about to process her words when she pulls my hand for the second time today. I couldn’t say anything and just follow suit. I’m not brave enough to ask her where are we going. That’s when I realise that this way is heading to the cafeteria. Is she taking me lunch?

     “Sit. I’ll take the food.” I don’t say much and just follow what she just said. It takes 5 minutes before she come back with a tray in her hand. She put the tray in front of me and sit the opposite of me.

     “I thought that you must be stress so eat is the best way to release it.” She said. I was awe with her words. “Eat.” She push the food towards me.

     I don’t know why but this is too sudden to make my brain process what is happening. My heart seems cannot beat normally too and my hand become cold and sweating. Why am I feeling so nervous under her stare?

     “Aren’t you gonna eat? Or…you want me to feed you?”

What?

     “Eh?”

She giggles.

     “Relax. I was joking, unnie. Lol, you’re funny to tease.” She said and chuckles afterward. I smile looking at her so happy about it. It takes another second when she starts talking again.

     I thought that she is kinda secretive type? Is she opening herself to me?

“But unnie, the cut on your finger is not serious why you can’t even lift the chopstick to eat?” She said.

     “Fine, stop teasing me, kid.” I said and lift the chopstick just like she want. I eat silently and at the same time feels like somebody is staring at me. I know it’s her. I look up to her and asks, “Why are you not eating?”

     “I don’t have any appetite.” She answered. “It’s okay, you can eat.”

I shake my head. “No, you need to eat something too. Being a doctor need a lot of energy.” I said. “Here eat this.” I lift up a piece of rolled omelette and take it near to while waiting it to open.

     “It’s okay, unnie. Really.” She said.

     “No. Come on, SinB. I don’t like waiting.”

It took 5 seconds to her to open and I gladly shove the food into . “Good girl.” I praise while giving her a smile. She reply it with another smile and thanks me.

 

     “Oh, no wonder I couldn’t find you!” A familiar voice interrupt our ‘lovey-dovey’ moment. We look up to the person. Ah, no wonder. It’s the noisy Taehyung and behind him, the others were standing while looking at both of us.

     “I saw it. You two are being lovey-dovey towards each other!” Dahyun said while pointing her finger to us.

     “I saw it too.” Umji said.

I look to SinB and she seems to looking at me too. I turn to face them. “We’re just eating lunch. What’s so wrong?”

     “It’s so wrong because you don’t invite us.” A voice coming from behind me. Now, who is it? I turn my back and saw Eunha and Sowon standing with the food tray in their hand.

     “Oh, Eunha and Sowon unnie!” I called. They leisurely walks towards my table and Eunha sit beside me. When Sowon unnie is about to sit beside Eunha, I heard the latter said, “Sorry, this seat is taken.”

     I frown and look to Eunha. Just who take that seat? There’s nobody. “Eunha-yah, just who’s gonna sit beside you?”

     She don’t answer and decide to eat her food. I smell something fishy. Lastly, Sowon take a sit beside SinB and she seems to be startle. Oh right, they don’t know each other.

     “Oh sorry. Kids, these two are my friends. The short hair one is Jung Eunha, an anesthetist while the tallest one is Kim Sojung, a neurosurgeon. They are a couple.”

     “Tsk. Couple,” I’m sure I heard Eunha mumbles something but I decide to shrug it away. They must be fighting again. Just what dense Sowon unnie did again?

     “Nice to meet you, Kim and Jung songsaengnim. We’re under unnie’s supervision.” Dahyun said. As expected, our friendly Dahyun.

     “Nice to meet you too.” Eunha said.

     “Yeah, nice to meet you too. By the way, you guys look so close with uri Yuju.” Sowon unnie said and Umji answers, “Yes, you can say that. We’re calling her ‘unnie’.”

     “Oh yeah? Then you can call me Sowon unnie.” Sowon unnie said smilingly.

“Wae Sowon unnie? I thought your name is Sojung?” Taehyung asks. “Ah, that’s my nickname. People calls me with that name.”

     "Oh…” They said in unison. “Then, we should go first. We’ve work after this. See you again.” They bid a god bye then walk away.

     “Uh, I think I should go too.” SinB said and get up from the seat. I quickly hold her hand and make she look at me.

     “You’re not going anywhere.” I said.

     “But—“

     “No but. I know your shift is night time.” I reply. “Sit.”

She follow what I said and sit back beside Sowon unnie. I notice the stare that the couple had give to me.

     “What?”

     “Who is she?” Sowon unnie asks.

I look to SinB and look to Sowon unnie back. “Ah, she’s SinB. She is one of the team too. The leader should I said.”

     “Ne, Hwang Eunbi imnida. But people call me SinB. Nice to meet you.” SinB said, introducing herself to my friends.

     “SinB-ah, they are friendly, believe me. But I think this couple is fighting so the atmosphere is quite…” My voice trailed off as I glance at the couple.

     “What? We’re not fighting, okay. Right, Eunha?” Sowon unnie looks to Eunha in a lovely way but Eunha is the opposite.

     “We’re fighting.”

I glance at Sowon unnie and shrugs. I turn to look at SinB who may be awkward in this situation.

 

“SinB-ah, do you want the meat?”

 

#

 

Sowon’s POV

 

Here it is. You can do it, Sowon!

 

KNOCK KNOCK!

 

     “Eunha-yah.” I said as I push the door slightly open. There she was, pretending to be busy with the file on her hand.

      I enter the office not forgetting to lock the door behind me. I don’t want anybody to disturb us for now. Slowly, I walk towards the ‘busy’ girl of mine and backhugging her. She seems to flinch by my sudden action and trying to push me away.

     “What are you doing here?” She said coldly, still pretending working with the file. “I’m busy, you know.”

     I smirk. “But it doesn’t seems so.” I said. I lean in to her cheek and kiss her cheek from behind. She stop flipping the page.

     “What do you think you’re doing?” She asks as she turns to face me. Aww, so cute. She suddenly look so small. I smile as I wrap one of my hand around her waist and pull her closer to me. Now that our face are just an inch away, my heart starts to beat faster than usual.

     For the first time in my life, I get to see her face this close and I never realise that she is so pretty without wearing heavy make up. I always know that she isn’t that type to apply much make up on face. She is natural beauty.

     I still remember the first time I saw her. I was in my third year in the university when she is the freshman in the medical field alongside with Yuju since they are best friends. We officially met during dinner party for the freshmen and to be truth, I never interest in that kind of event.

     But my best friend, Nayeon practically dragged me out of my room that night and we headed to the restaurant together. Since I was the head of student council, I became popular back then (and still now), so the students mostly had crush on me. So literally, I had to answer all their question that night and I was so boring. I excused myself to the restroom.

 

[Flashback]

     Ugh, that was so boring. I decided to excuse myself to the restroom to wash my face. As I reach the restroom, I bumped into a girl and she fell on the floor. I was panic and felt sorry for her so I squat to help her get up.

     “Are you alright? I’m so sorry. I—“

     My words stop immediately as she look up to me. Our eyes somehow met in the middle of the midst, I slowly drowning.

     “Erm…can you release my hand?” She said and oh my… Her voice. She sound so angelic. She is shorter than me so I had to look down on her. I was startled when she pulled her hand from my grip and I was so embarrassed.

 

     “I’m sorry again, Miss…”

 

     “Oh, Eunha-yah. Why are you here? Let’s go. They’re starting.” A voice came from behind her. Ah, maybe it’s her friend. The girl that I’ve bumped gave me a last glance before said, “I’m sorry. I need to go now.”

That was the last words from her before she walked away.

     I quickly finish my business and return to join the party. Well, I thought that it would be rude if I just left the event just like that. I decided to sit beside Nayeon than my previous seat.

     “Where were you going?” Nayeon asked.

     “Restroom.”

     “It’s okay. We’re just about to start.”

     Later, the freshmen started to introduce themselves one by one. I never interest in this. But later…

 

“Ah, anyeonghaseyo,”

 

That voice.

 

“My name is Jung Eunha. Please take care of me.”

 

     Maybe she just look so cute that all the guy even girl cheered to her. I don’t know why but I don’t like it. I kept staring at her until our eyes met. She looked shock to see me but I smile to her. It’s a relieved that she replies my smile and bow her head slightly to me.

     I don’t even have a clue that I wouldn’t able to sleep that night. I thought that I wouldn’t meet her again but the next day, she joined the same club as mine. We started to talk to each other and apparently became close alongside with her best friends.

     Remember the girl that calling her name that night? She is Choi Yuna or you can call her Yuju. Since I was their senior, they often asked me about what they don’t understand. Without I realise, I had  already fell for her charm.

I fell for Jung Eunha.

     I thought I would be brave enough to confess to her. But I was a coward. I never confess my special feeling towards her until the last semester. I need to confess to her before I graduate.

     “Hey, Yuju. Where’s Eunha?” I asked Yuju as we take a sit on a table at the cafeteria.

“I think she went to meet Seokjin sunbaenim.”

     I frowned as I heard my classmate’s name. “Seokjin-ssi? Wae?”

     “I don’t know the real reason but… I think he’s gonna confess to Eunha.”

“WHAT?!”

     “Wae, unnie? Why are you so shock?” Yuju asked.

“Yuju-ah, is it true?” Yuju looked at me weirdly and frowned. “Tell me please.”

     “I think so. From what I see, he is hitting on Eunha.”

     “Oh…”

Wae?

Why this feel so hurt? It’s like my heart was taken but torn in front of my face.

 

No.

     “Where are you going, unnie?”

I ran. I ran as fast as I could to wherever they might be. I couldn’t let this happen. I cannot lose her.

But,

Am I make a right decision? I don’t even know if she like me or not. No, I don’t even know is she bend in the same way as me.

     I stopped. I saw them. They were… they were hugging. I saw she was smiling in his embrace. Without my knowing, a tear already rolled down on my cheek.

I was late.

Too late.

     Since then, I distance myself from her. My crush. I should forget her. I ignored her. It’s hurt so much. Until the last day at the campus, I decided not to show myself. I left my university life with such a sorrow.

     I start my new life at Myungwoo Medical Center.

[End of Flashback]

 

#

 

Eunha’s POV   

 

What is that?

Why I saw tears on her face?

Is she crying?

     “S-Sowonie?” I called. “W-Why are you crying?” I said as I brought my thumb to wipe off her tears. She shakes her head and hold my hand that land on her cheek. We stare into each other eyes and I saw sadness.

     “Eunha-yah…”

     “N-Ne?”

She put her palm on my cheek and caress it lovingly. She is being sincere, I can feel it all over my body. My heart ached. I forgot that I mad at her just now.

     “Can you promise me something?”

I remain silent as I wait for her to continue. She pulls me closer and wraps her arm securely, hugging me tightly.

     “Can you promise me, that you will not leaving me?”

I shock hearing what she said.

     “S-Sowonie, what are you talking about?”

     “Promise me, that you will love me forever?”

I release the hug and I can see that she is desperate by the way she looking into my eyes. I saw sadness and the feel like losing someone.

     “I will not leaving you and will stay loving you whatever it comes.” I said. “I promise.”

I pull her closer to me and land my lips on her. “You can believe me.”

     Her lips slowly curve into a small smile. I caress her cheek that was still stained with tears as I leaning closer again. I kiss her, this time, passionately.

 

“I love you, Sowonie.”

 

Don’t cry.

 

TBC...

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

It was short!

Mianhae!   *bowing 90'*