Chapter 4

Listen to my Heart Beat

CHAPTER 4

 

     Yuju slumps her body on her chair as soon as she enter her office. Her only private room other than toilet in this hospital. She is tired after talking a lot today. Suddenly, her phone ring.

 

Caller ID: Lee Seokmin

   

     Yuju sighs as she hold on the phone. She had no other choice. She choose to answer the call.

“Anyeong, Yuju-ssi.”

 

“Yes. What do you want Lee songsaengnim?”

 

“Oh, don’t be too cold. I just wanna ask you something.”

 

“Spill it out.”

 

“Would you like to have a drink with me?”

 

“I’m sorry, Lee songsaengnim. I’ve much work to do.”

 

“Oh, come on Yuju-ssi. Just don’t be too formal. Even I call you Yuju-ssi and not Choi songsaengnim.”

 

“I’m really sorry, Lee songsaengnim. I’ve work to do. Talk later, okay? Excuse me,”

 

     Yuju sighs as she throw her phone away on her table.

 

Yuju’s POV

  

     Just what’s wrong with that boy? He have been so coy with me since the last dinner we had together with President Lee two weeks ago. Ugh, just thinking about that night really made my head hurts.

 

[Flashback]

     “Thank you for joining us, Yuju-ssi.” President Lee said as Yuju take her place at the table. They were having a dinner at a 5 star restaurant. Yuju gladly smiled at the older one.

     “Oh, I should say that you’re very pretty in that dress.” He continued.

“Oh, thank you, President Lee. This is really nothing.” Yuju was being humble. She know that the man in front of her hold a really big power in his hand. He could do anything to other people, including her. He is no rare president of the biggest hospital in Seoul.

     “How could you say that? You’re really pretty! If not, my son hear won’t talk about you to me.” President Lee was patting on Seokmin’s shoulder.

“Ah, abeoji!” Seokmin flinched as he blushing madly. It’s true. Seokmin really like Yuju but she never acknowledge that. Not that she really care about it. She’s just being nice with everyone.

     Soon, they start to eat. Nothing much to talk since it’s too awkward. Yuju had no idea what to talk about. This was her first time having dinner with President Lee and this is so sudden! But still, she have to be careful.

     “Yuju-ssi, I’ve something to ask.”

Yuju looks up and her eyes met with President Lee’s.

     “Did you live with your parents?”

Yuju was caught off guard with that sudden question. That topic has always been sensitive to her.

     “They were gone.”

     “Oh, I’m sorry.”

     “I’m fine.”

But President Lee won’t stop.

     “I heard that you live in Gangnam-gu. Is that true?”

     “Yes.”

     “That is rich people residential area. Do you live alone there?”

Yuju threw her gaze to the older man. She could sense something was going on.

     “Yes. Why?”

President Lee was smiling brightly. “Oh, it’s nothing. It’s just my son here, he seems to like you so much.”

     “Pardon?”

     “Abeoji!”

“Hahahahaha~ Yuju-ssi, please take care of Seokmin.”

 

[End of Flashback]

                                              

Yuju’s POV

 

     *sigh* I know he was up for something. Like, what the hell? Is he trying to make me engage with his son? Oh boy, he’s just not my type. And plus, he’s papa boy. I knew it the moment I stepped in this hospital and it was like two years ago.

     President Lee.

     Lee Joo Hyun.

I remember you. I remember you clearly. You’re just not an ordinary president of this hospital. You’re more than that. More than people imagine.

     I opened the drawer of my table and lift up a file, revealing a black box under it. *smirk*

Just wait.

I’ll just give you more time, President Lee.

 

#

 

     It’s already 11.05 pm when SinB finally could lay down on her new bed. Starting from now, she would live at the hospital during her practical time. Yerin was left alone at the apartment. Speaking about Yerin, Sinb suddenly thought about her and decide to call the older one.

“Yeoboseyo?”

 

“Unnie!”

 

“Ah, it’s SinB! How are you? Did you eat dinner already?”

 

“Yes, I had it few hours ago. What are you doing?”

 

“Nothing much. I was about to sleep. You? Why you’re not sleeping yet?”

 

“I was about too but then I thought about you.”

 

“Aww… SinB is being sweet~”

 

“Shut up, unnie.”

 

Whatever. By the way, did you meet the pretty doctor of yours?”

 

“Wha—Unnie!”

 

“What? I’m just asking!”

 

“I met her, unnie.”

 

“Woo, chincha?”

 

“She is the superior of our team.”

 

Wah, daebak! Yah, I think you two are a match made in heaven.”

 

“Stop your nonsense, unnie.”
 

“Yah, bring her sometimes to our restaurant. I will treat my sister-in-law to-be some fried chicken!”

 

“Yah!”

 

“Okay okay, fine! Enough, you need to sleep. Tomorrow will be a new day for you. Bye~ Sleep tight…”

 

“You too. Don’t miss me too much!”

 

“Oh, I won’t even you’re away like two years.” *toot toot*

 

“Wha—“ SinB looks at her phone. “Did she just hang up? Wah, this unnie chincha!”

 

     “Aren’t you sleeping yet?” Umji come approach SinB with the facial mask she just put on her face. SinB turns to look at her but later shock by the image she seeing right now.

 

“Whoa! Umji-ah!” SinB was terrified. “You just made me shock!” SinB said as she rub her chest, to relax herself.

     “What’s the matter? It just a facial mask.” Umji reply innocently.

 

#

 

“Eunha-yah~”

 

     That voice is supposed to be a healing to Eunha’s ear but it suddenly become such an annoying voice for her. She tries to keep ignoring the finger that poking her chubby cheeks and literally makes her more annoyed.

 

“Eunha-yah.”

 

Another poke. Eunha sighs in frustration. “What?”

 

     “Are you mad at me?” Sowon asks as she hold into Eunha’s hand. Eunha flinch at the sudden touch but she try her best to not look like she is not blushing thought her cheeks is burning in red.

     Eunha remains silent. They are in Eunha’s office. Yeah, after the commotion the two have made earlier during lunch, Eunha goes straight to her office and she don’t want to be disturb. But Sowon manages to enter her office. She needs to make things clear between the two of them. She don’t want to break up with Eunha. It’s the last thing she would do in her life—no—she would never want to break up with her.

     “Eunha-yah…” Sowon leans in and caress Eunha’s hair with the other hand. She try to make an eye contact with the latter but she won’t look up.

     Oops. Sowon may be a slow-witted woman, but she never fail to be a romantic person without her knowing. It just flow in her blood.

“Eunha-yah, if I happen to hurt you, I’m sorry. I’m such a slow-witted, right?” Sowon said. Her voice is sweet, just suit Eunha’s ears. But Eunha is not responding.

“Pabo…” She mumbles and it goes unnoticed by the latter.

 

     “What did you say?” Sowon asks. She is leaning towards the already burning latter. Eunha’s heart skip a beat and her legs are shaking. Oh, this cannot be.

“Huh, why did you care?” Eunha slowly push away Sowon even she already miss her touch. She cross her arms and turns her back on Sowon.

     “What? Of course I care! You’re my girlfriend!” Sowon exclaims.

Eunha’s heart skip a beat again upon hearing Sowon’s answer. Even though she is playing hard to get at Sowon, she couldn’t help her heart to pound at a normal pace. Her ears become red. Luckily Sowon couldn’t see it because her ears were covered by her hair.

     “Okay. What is it? Tell me. I know you’re mad at me.” Sowon said.

     Eunha sighs heavily and quickly turns to face the latter.

“Seriously Sowon? You don’t know?” She asks in disbelieve. Sowon shakes her head. “Oh my God.” Eunha sighs again.

     “I don’t ask you if I know. Come on, tell me.”

Eunha looks in Sowon asks. Yeah, she looks clueless.

 

Eunha’s POV

 

     She is not planning to pretend, right? She looks so innocent. OMG, Sowon always look innocent. I shouldn’t believe on the look on her face.

“Are you seriously don’t know or you just pretending?” I asks her.

     She shrugs. “Yuju called me slow-witted. I really don’t know.”

I sighs for the umpteenth times already. She is innocent.

     “Yes, you’re slow-witted—no no—pabo-yah! You don’t really know my feeling? Ah, you’re so frustrating! I’m jealous and having you here is not helping at all!” Finally, I get to confess it all. It’s so hurt keeping it in my chest. At least, I feel better even she is looking so shock right now.

 

“You’re jealous?”

 

     “Ne! I’m jealous! Why did you get a team from Ewha University? And you also said them pretty and tall! I know I’m short but please, I’m your girlfriend for god-sake! Shouldn’t you take care of me first? Ah, I’m so—umph!”

 

     Omo! What is this feeling? What is this soft thing that lying on my lips?! Omo omo omo! Sowon, she is damn close to me. I just can’t!

     It’s too late that I now realise that the soft thing on my lips just now was her lips. Sowon’s pretty lips. Sowon’s red lips. Sowon’s hot lips. Everyhing is Sowon!

     It’s was our first kiss—no no—MY first kiss!

We may be dating for two weeks but we never kiss. Neither me nor Sowon would initiate a kiss. All we had do were just hugs and a little skin ship such as holding hand. We had date but it just once. We’re busy as doctors. Sowon is a neurosurgeon and I’m an anesthetist.

     I open my eyes slowly and the first thing I see is Sowon who is smiling at me sweetly. She acts like nothing is happen. She leans in and whisper something in my ear, “You’re just too noisy. I found a way to shut up your mouth and it’s a success.”

     I couldn’t move any of my limbs. I give up. Sowon is leaning closer and I know she is aiming for my lips. “I’m sorry but it’s so addicting.” She whispers before she land her lips on mine.

If I know this is the feeling of being kissed, I would kiss her earlier. I’m happy that my first kiss was happen to be with her. I love her so much.

     It’s like my body is reacting as my hand sneaks around her neck and pulls her closer. She also let her hands to circle my waist and rubs my back. Ugh, why does it feel so hot in here?

I don’t want this to be the last time.

 

#

 

     It’s a new morning for the five friends. Today, they will receive a real training. Well, they need to be train mentally and physically. Being a good doctor is not easy you know.

     After they freshen up themselves, they leisurely take a quick breakfast at the cafeteria before all the interns gather in the hall. They will be given a few words and also their own schedule.

     “Yah, I heard they will give us a new schedule.” Dahyun whispers to SinB’s ear since they sit side by side. SinB who is busy with her phone turns to face Dahyun. “New schedule? What do you mean?”

     Since SinB is taking interest in Dahyun’s words, the other also lean in to hear the latter. Dahyun sit properly. “I just heard it from the other group.”

“So, what?” This time, it’s Jimin.

     “I heard that ER is the most difficult.” She continue. “You will have no time to rest.”

“Chincha? Heol~” Umji sighs.

     “What to do if we get ER?” Taehyung whines.

“Just do whatever we got to do.” SinB leisurely said. Everyone look at her.

     “Yah, do you want to duty at ER?” Dahyun asks.

“What if we got it? It’s not that we can change.” SinB said and the others nod in silent.

 

#

 

“Heol~” – Umji

 

“I die!” – Taehyung

 

“Why me?” – Dahyun

 

“My life…” – Jimin

 

“…” – SinB

 

     The other four stare at SinB.

 

“Why you aren’t say something?” Taehyung asks out of frustration. SinB looks at him. “What I need to say?”

“Just anything!” The others reply.

.

.

.

“WAE?!”

     They seemed shock by SinB’s sudden loud shout. Just now they were given their own schedule and it’s just like they expected. They need to duty in ER. The only different between them is the date and time, which should be day or night.

     But out of the five, SinB, Taehyung and Dahyun are the worst. They got the night shift, which mean no sleep. All of them remains silent while looking at their own schedule. The piece of paper seems torturing them too much, especially the night shift team.

     In the midst of the intense atmosphere, a voice break the silent.

“I heard a loud voice earlier. Did it come from you?” SinB turns back and gasps at the figure that standing in front of her. SinB blinks her eyes in disbelief.

     “Omo! Yuju noona!” Yeoksi, Taehyung would be the first to react.

“Hi, Taehyung. Wait, why did your face like that? Any problem?” Yuju asks when she notices that none of them are smiling.

     “Bad news.” Dahyun said. “We got ER.” She continues.

Yuju just stare at them. “But these three are worse.” Yuju looks up to Jimin who is pointing to the bad luck trio. “Night shift.” He whispered.

     “Aww… That’s tough. You guys just like me when I was an intern too.” Yuju said. She take the paper in SinB’s hand. SinB was startled by the doctor sudden action. “Oh, your schedule looks like the same with me.” She said while looking at the latter.

 

Yuju’s POV

   

     Why SinB is so startle? Aww… She looks so cute with that face. I take the paper from her hand and read it’s content.

Oh, what a coincident. It does seems so familiar. Right, it’s the same with me. So, are we gonna stick to each other now?

     “Oh, your schedule looks like the same with me.” I said. Omo, look at her face! It’s so cute! Wait, Yuju! You’re just said her cute?

Well, whatever. She is cute though. Her reaction is also cute. She has this kind of vibe that make me want to more.

     It’s not like I don’t know that she was staring at me the whole time yesterday. Yes, I noticed that her eyes on me. Is she checking me out? Haish… no way. But, it can be, right?

     “It must be nice to see you all day.” I said, yeah teasingly. SinB is hanging her head low but I kind of saw that her cheeks were pink.

     “But your schedule starts tomorrow, right?” I asks the others. Actually, I was thinking to bring them out for dinner tonight. Yeah, just want to know each other. I’m not that type that being to harsj on intern. I like it when they feel comfortable around me. Plus, they are just a younger than me. I should be a kind unnie and noona for them. At least, they have someone to depend on without having much time to stress about problems.

     I had experience all these. It’s hard during being an intern and I don’t even had anyone to share my problems with. Even to my team mates. I only has Eunha and Sowon unnie. But I don’t really share so many thing with them.

     Back to the situation, the other four are nodding to my answer except this cute fellow in front of me. “Why you aren’t nodding?” I asks.

     Maybe she was too startle with me so she quickly nod her head and even bow an apologise. She is so funny to tease.

     You’re so funny, SinB-ah.” I chuckles while holding on her shoulder.

“Why did you asked, unnie?” I turns to Umji who is looking at me with her always curious eyes.

     “I thought of treating you guys tonight. What say you?” I asks. Taehyung’s eyes beams in excitement. “Jeongmal?”

I nod.

     “Yeah, we’re free.” He said. The others are nodding too. “Wah noona, you’re so kind.” He continues.

     “Thanks Taehyung. But I still don’t know where to bring you tonight.” I confess. It’s true. I never think any restaurant yet. I just bluntly asking them. “Do you have any suggestion?”

     “How about SinB’s restaurant? They serve fried chicken.” Jimin said.

Wait, SinB has a restaurant?

     I look at her curiously. “Ah, it’s not mine. It’s my unnie. She is the owner.” SinB said.

“Great. We go there tonight.” I said and spare a glance at her.

 

#

 

SinB’s POV

    

Seriously? Are we going there?

     “Are you serious, Yuju unnie?” I ask.

She nods. “Why not? I may get a discount if I go with you.”

     I know she is joking, but I really don’t mind giving her a discount. Even she asks for free, I would give her.

     “Sure, I will inform Yerin unnie later.” I said.

 

Unnie, I bring her tonight.

 

.

.

 

     It was tough during the day but it become less intense during night. We get our free time. Finally, we get to Yerin unnie’s resataurant. The clock was struck to 10.22 pm when we arrive there. My friends literally run to hug Yerin unnie when we got there. Yeah, they are close with her. I was the last one to enter the restaurant and behind me is her.

Her.

     Let me repeat. HER. Oh, why am I smiling like idiot now? Okay SinB… get back to your normal face.

Blank.

     “Oh, SinB! There you are! I miss you sooooo much!” I was startled by Yerin unnie’s sudden hug. I don’t have other choice then. I miss her too. I hug her back.

     “Oh, it’s Choi songsaengnim!” Yerin unnie calls. She release the hug and whispers, “You really bring my sister-in-law.”

Ugh. What with that creepy smile? I hate her.

     “Omo, Choi songsaengnim… You came. I heard you are SinB’s superior. Is it true?” Oh my, she start her interrogation.

     “Unnie, why don’t let us sit first? Then, you can ask her all you want.” I said sarcastically.

“Oh, you’re right! Where’s my manner?” Yerin unnie face-palmed herself.

“I don’t know, maybe you left it at home?”

“YAH!”

“Ouch! Unnie!”

     What did I just do to receive a smack from her?!

“You two are so cute.” I look up to the owner of the voice.

     “Omo, let’s get you guys sit first. Talking to SinB is a torture.” Yerin unnie said before dragging the other to sit at one table. Luckily, tonight is not as crowded as other day.

     “Noona, give me a lot of chicken!” Taehyung shouts.

“Ne, I know. Excuse me first.” Yerin unnie said. I was about to follow her when she stops me. “Wae?”

     “Where do you think you’re going?”

     “Where else? Helping you?” I said as I lift my left eye brow.

“No no no. Sit. I know you’re tired.”

“What the—It’s nothing, unnie. Let me help you.”

“No is no. Sit and entertain your guest.” Yerin unnie said as she wiggles her eye brow while glancing at Yuju unnie.

I sigh.

 

#

 

Yuju’s POV

 

     SinB walks and sit at the only occupied seat at this table. It’s just in front of me. Maybe I was staring at her too much until Umji notice it.

     “Unnie, why are you staring at SinB?” She asked.

     SinB heard her name being called and lift her head to look at me. Omo, why my cheeks suddenly feel hot. God, I just got caught by the maknae.

     “E-Eh? I-I’m not looking at her.” I said, denying. My heart is beating so fast and my hands are cold.

“Unnie, you’re pale.” Dahyun said.

“Ne? Ah, it’s maybe I’m too tired.” I made an excuse. I hope she buy it.

     “You should eat more later.” Jimin said. In my observation, I think Jimin is the most matured one. Taehyung is kind of playful whikle Dahyun is friendly. Umji is the maknae and also the always curious one. Meanwhile SinB… let’s say she is the prettiest.

     As I was trying hard to hide my blushing face, SinB’ sister is coming with a tray that full with food.

“Wah…. Yerin noona is daebak!” Taehyung said as she put the tray on the table. Wah, this is too much.

     I divert my eyes to her. Her face, it doesn’t seems similar with SinB. Or it’s just my eyes? Are they the real siblings? As much from what I see, she has a different character than SinB.

     “I’m sorry for earlier, Choi songsaengnim. I didn’t even introduce myself properly. My name is Jung Yerin. Nice to meet you.” She said while asking for a handshake.

     Did my ears hear things? I thought she said Jung earlier. But SinB is a Hwang?

“Jung?” I bluntly said.

     She nods and said, “Yeah, we’re foster siblings.”

Foster siblings? They are orphans?

     “I’m sorry.” I said.

“It’s okay. By the way, I’m older than you by a year. I remember you said your age after checking of Halmeoni that day.”

     “Ah, ne. How’s Halmeoni? I don’t get to see her when she was discharged.”

“She’s doing good. How about you eat first? We can talk later. I feel burning with SinB’s glare.”

     As soon as Yerin unnie said that, I look to SinB and I swear, I saw her really glaring at Yerin unnie. Wow, she looks scary with that glare. I thought Yerin unnie was joking.

“Enjoy your food!” Yerin unnie said before disappearing in the kitchen. I look back to her who is eating her food slowly, not saying a thing.

     I clear my throat and talk to her, “SinB, are you okay?”

She look up and our eyes met.

What was that? I saw disappoint in her eyes. But why?

     “I’m okay. Eat your food, unnie.” She said coldly and continue eating.

 

It’s hurt to see her like that.

 

TBC...

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Uh, I'm feeling hot writing about WonHa.

How's this chapter?