Father's Wishes

Royal Matters.

Jisoo's father wasn't a very large man, or very intimidating at that, he was generally very sweet, but when it was just him and his son, there was an edge to all his words that could cut through diamonds, and even just the air in his chambers felt thicker and harder to breathe than the hallway connecting. The prince took a seat at the long wooden table with only two chairs on either end, accompanied by Wonwoo who sat down next to him. Both of them had their hands folded politely in their lap, just watching his father who was sitting at the head of the table, eyes narrowed at the both of them.

"I assume you know what today's conversation will be regarding, right son?" The king asked, obviously more of a rhetorical question than something that begged a response. Jisoo nodded, digging his fingernails into the palms of his hands, trying to brace himself for the tongue lashing that would ensue.

"I simply cannot see why you're so opposed to the idea of marrying a princess, you would be finding a wife, someone to make an heir for your throne here, and you'd also be bringing together two kingdoms."

"I just don't see why I have to marry someone that I don't know, have no interest in, and frankly, I think the kingdom is doing well in its own standings, I don't see a need for us to assimilate into someone else's territory and potentially hurt our own people."

Jisoo's father slammed his hand on the exquisite table, making a sound loud enough for it to echo through the room, and both the prince and his servant were spooked enough to almost jump out of their chairs.

"Sir, I don't think violence will help make your point any more efficiently than a calm conversation." Wonwoo interjected, only projecting enough for his voice to be barely caught by the king. The tyrant nodded his head, and sat back into his chair, letting his hands grip the accented arms of the throne-like chair.

"You must stop being so selfish, son. You're the only heir that I have, what will you do when you need to pass the kingdom on to someone else?" The king's voice was calmer, softer. It seemed that Wonwoo wasn't just good at being a listening ear, he was also good at being a mediator, though he'd never spoken out against Jisoo's father before, he was thankful for the interjection.

"Father, I have to apologize, but this should be the one thing in my life I should be allowed to be selfish about. I don't want a princess who will basically be using me for what our family has spent so long trying to build. I don't want an heir that will take my spot because they have to, I want an heir who wants my title because they want to do good for the kingdom."

Jisoo's father pressed a hand to his chin, and pursed his lips together, giving a sharp sigh before he leaned onto the table, propping himself up on his elbows.

"Is it that women aren't your taste? Do you just not understand your duties?" Suddenly it felt like the conversation was some sort of mental assault on the way Jisoo was as a person. But now that he thought about it, he'd never been into women, mostly because every one that crossed his path wanted something from him, and the only person he'd kissed was Wonwoo. Jisoo shook himself free of the thoughts, and stood up, hands placed on his hips as he looked at his father.

"I have no taste, honestly. Living the life I have the only person I've ever been allowed to get close to has been Wonwoo, can you really blame me for being apprehensive here? And as for my duties, I know well what they are, I've lived this same life, preparing for the same role every single day. Perhaps you are the one who is misinformed here, father. Maybe you just refuse to understand me." Jisoo spat, ready to storm out of the hall, only to be jerked back into his chair by Wonwoo's hand.

"I'm sorry about the prince's outburst, sir." Wonwoo's eyes were focused, and he was almost annoyingly calm with the amount of tension in the air.

"Leave. We'll talk about this again when you've come around. Until then, you and I will be holding interviews with prospective wives, since you're so bent on marrying someone you know." The king scoffed, and waved the two of them off.

It was enough to get the prince's blood boiling, but thankfully Wonwoo had dragged him off before he had the option to go berserk in the king's chamber.

"Come on, we'll go out to the garden." Wonwoo murmured, pulling Jisoo along at a pace that his legs almost couldn't keep up with.

"It's fine, I'm fine." The prince spoke with a certain sort of defeat in his voice. It was quite obvious that he wasn't fine, and if he were to begin crying or get upset in the castle, one of the other servants would surely end up reporting it to the king, and Jisoo, as headstrong as he was would absolutely despise that. So the dark haired seer kept tugging the prince along to the only place in the castle's grounds that wasn’t riddled with nosy servants, rather a spare gardener or two, and even they wouldn't be paying much attention to the two of them.


Trekking through halls and corridors out to the garden, Wonwoo and Jisoo were welcomed by a sea of green, a plethora of flowers, and a scent sweet enough to bring a smile to even the sourest of humans. Out in the freedom of the world, Wonwoo let go of Jisoo's hand, letting the prince off to his own devices now that he was free to react however he deemed fit. Though, he only took a couple of steps out into the expanse of blooming flowers and shady trees that hung above them before he squatted down into a ball, burying his face in his knees.

"Sir?" Wonwoo looked over, and patted the prince's shoulder, sinking to his knees to sit beside the prince.

"I hate being a prince." Jisoo murmured, his voice shaky and weak.

"I know you do."

"Why can't he just understand that I don't want a woman!?" The prince's voice sounded even more distraught, and there was a very audible sniffle after his question. Wonwoo was never good at comfort, but he just patted the prince's back, lips pressed together in confusion about what he might be able to say to be any kind of help.

"If it's just the fact that you don't want to marry a woman, you should be honest with your father. I think he might understand more if you were honest with him."

Jisoo pulled his face away from his knees, staring at Wonwoo with furrowed brows that were accented by tears trailing down his cheeks.

"You didn't even know, how would I ever bring my father to understand?"

Wonwoo opened his mouth to speak, and quickly shut it, he didn't have the same amount of stress that Jisoo had when it came to honesty with his family, so he knew that anything he had to offer here would merely be a shot in the dark, instead he laid his head against Jisoo's and sighed.

"I'm sorry that you feel that way, but I am thankful you felt the need to be so honest with me, sir."

"Stop that. Didn't I tell you that I didn't want you to call me sir? It's weird, you're the only friend I have, I don't want to feel like I'm just a boss to you."

Wonwoo was honored to be considered the prince's friend, and he nodded slightly, though he'd been effortlessly trying to break the habit, he had a reason to be less formal now, and it gave Wonwoo that same fluttery feeling he got in his stomach when the prince had kissed him.

"I- Uh, I'll be right back."

Wonwoo rose to his feet, walking back inside the castle, waiting for the heavy doors to swing shut behind him before he broke into a full sprint to reach the nearest bathroom. He didn't even bother fooling with the lock, he just slumped against the door, letting himself slip to the floor, burying his face in his hands to hide his own tears. He felt weak, and useless, not being able to provide any actual help to the prince. And he especially hated this fiery feeling in his gut that was getting harder and harder to ignore, even If the prince didn't like women, he definitely wouldn't be chasing Wonwoo! He was a lowly servant, he had no skills, or talents to hold the prince's interest, he was just a human alarm clock.

Wonwoo was doing his best to conceal every sob, but with every breath he took more of the hot tears rolled down his face into his palms, and it felt like he may well drown before he got back to the garden.



A/N: I TOLD YOU GUYS I WOULD UPDATE IT AGAIN QUICK!! <3 I really do hope you like this chapter, it kind of broke my heart to write, because I love these two and just want them happy. TT-TT

Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoyed!!!