Sleepless Night

Royal Matters.

"Well, you'll have to do some proving to me that you really want to be mine." Wonwoo's words were defiant, and Jisoo shot straight up in protest. But before any protesting words could spill past his lips, Wonwoo's finger was sitting in front of them, shushing him.

"Awe, come on now, a prince can't always get his way." The servant's voice was teasing, and it only upset Jisoo more. Enough to make him cross his arms and pout.

"And what right do you have to make me wait?" Jisoo huffed, his eyebrows sat like stone over squinted eyes.

"I have done my waiting, and now it's your turn. Pouting won't make me change my mind, and being brat will only get you punished." The word punished raised a lump in Jisoo's throat, and his angry posture dropped, equal parts curious and horrified about what punishment would entail.

 

"What do you mean?" The usually self-assured and confident prince's voice was meek, and wary, walking on eggshells in the case that punishment meant selling him out to his father.

"I mean, spanking, not allowing you to -- even when you're absolutely begging, tying you up, blindfolding you. Things of that nature. You sure do have a lot of fancy robes and scarves at your disposal, wouldn't it be a shame for them to become nothing more than lowly rags to tie you down with?" Wonwoo's tone was almost infuriating, how confident and mouthy he was now that he had the upper hand in a situation. Jisoo's nostrils flared and he let out a defeated sigh, knowing that waiting would really be the only way that he'd get what he wanted, not that was the only thing he wanted, but the thought was so tantalizing now that they were actually in the same bed.

 

"You wouldn't dare ruin something that's worth more to the castle than you-" The words were cut off as the prince accidentally bit his tongue in shock as Wonwoo's hand grasped his chin.

"That's where you're wrong. You wouldn't go telling daddy about me ruining them anyways, because if you did, you wouldn't only be selling yourself out, you'd be selling me out. And you're far too benevolent to get us both banned from the castle." Wonwoo's words carried some truth, even though they were practically spit into the prince's face. He wouldn't have the courage to face his father about some mere scraps of fabric in the name of exposing the secret that he'd gone to such far lengths to hide for so long now. Jisoo crumpled down, and laid his head on the pillow, earning a soft chuckle out of Wonwoo, who pressed his head on his elbow.

"Come on, Jisoo, I'm not that mean. I was just teasing you." The servant ran a reassuring hand over the prince's shoulder, an airy laughter filling the negative space between them.

"It didn't feel like you were teasing." Jisoo removed Wonwoo's hand, and sat it down on the bed between them, letting his lithe fingers curl against the silky sheets.

 

"That was the point, though. You were acting like a spoiled brat, dear."

"Even if I was, that doesn't mean that playing a mean joke on me is okay!" Jisoo jabbed lightly at his sweetheart's shoulder, still pouting. Wonwoo shook his head, and wrapped his arms around Jisoo, which didn't stir up much protest, but it did earn a long sigh out of the prince before he gave in and wriggled a little closer into the hug. The servant took to humming in an attempt to soothe the obviously miffed prince, and it worked well enough to make him ease back his tense shoulders. The two laid there for a while as Wonwoo hummed, and the prince kicked the covers up, trying his best to envelope the both of them under the comfy duvet. It wasn't long until the prince had drifted off to sleep, his arm thrown over Wonwoo's waist as the servant laid there awake for the greater part of the night. He was comforted by a chorus of shallow breaths out of the prince, and muffled chirps of crickets and cicadas outside.

 

Though, even the lack of sound or light wasn't comforting enough to lull him off to sleep. Wonwoo knew that sleeping in the prince's room would end up making him anxious, but he'd never imagined that he'd be overthinking who might notice that his bed was empty, or who might try to wake the prince up since he had been gone all night. The other servants in the castle rarely even interacted with the prince, much less that they'd willingly talk to him with how much bad-mouthing went on in the servant's wing, but no comforting thought was quite enough to get his eyes to willingly fall shut. Wonwoo did take solace in the fact that Jisoo seemed to be sleeping well, barely moving even into the late hours of the night.

 

 

"Crap." Wonwoo rubbed his eyes, in disbelief of the fact that the sun was slowly coming up, and the pitch black sky was in mid-metamorphosis, turning a soft navy as the sun began peeking into the horizon. It was tempting to pull the covers over his head, but if he did that it would mean disturbing Jisoo who was currently balled up against him, and that wasn't an option. So Wonwoo took the past of least resistance, and just prepared himself to get up for the day, and tend to their routine as usual. He tucked an arm under his head, earning a whine out of the sleepy prince that was under that same arm. For lack of anything else to do, Wonwoo began mulling over the options for breakfast, what the prince would wear, how he would be able to get across the castle for a pair of his own clothes, or whether it would just be better to borrow a pair of Jisoo's clothes and wash them before returning them.

 

The servant sighed quietly, and removed his arm from under his head to pinch the bridge of his nose. At this point, a brick to the side of the skull sounded nicer than the racing thoughts that were plaguing him. However, he was reminded of the times that his mom would comfort him during moments like these, telling him about how a busy mind was just an obstacle put in the way of a person who'd be far too efficient with a clear train of thought. It was nice, but while it was a nice thought, it was just that, another thought.

 

Instead of allowing his thoughts to run rampant until the prince woke up, Wonwoo slipped out of the bed as carefully as he could, and made his way to the vanity, turning on the lights that were set into the mirror, and began tapping bits of makeup under his eyes to camouflage the dark rings that hung beneath his lashes, not even bothering to apply a full face of makeup before he got up, and stretched, bellowing out a yawn as his bones woke up, wishing his mind could be as lazy as the rest of him tended to be come nightfall.

 

He stretched, and twisted a few more times before waltzing into the closet, in search of something that might fit properly, even if it would only be worn long enough to get across the castle. After sifting through a handful of hangers, Wonwoo was almost certain that he would end up having to dash across the castle in a pair of dirty clothes in search for a fresh suit. "You know, there's a pile of my dad's old clothes in the dresser. I can't wear them because everything is too long." Jisoo's voice nearly caused Wonwoo to have a heart attack, making him take a death grip on the shirt that was in his hands as his knees buckled.

 

"You could've said something if you were awake!"

"That was the point, though. I wanted to spook you." The servant's words were thrown back at him like a bad joke out of the groggy prince, who was now standing in the doorway of the closet, propped against the doorway.

"That's just plain rude, sir." Wonwoo grumbled, and took to scavenging through the king's old clothes for something to wear for the day, settling on a pair of grey pants that would surely need a belt, and a white button down. The prince shrugged in response to Wonwoo, and chuckled quietly,

"It might be, but it's payback for that mean little joke that you thought would be funny last night. Fair's fair."