IV

The Audition Exo Short Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Josie and Arden set up an official time for the following day. A couple minutes after the two arrived in the studio, more voices were heard entering into the studio.

Arden beamed when she met the glance of three of her other friends. "Hey, you guys didn't have to come; Josie and I were just going to go over a bunch of songs."

"We wanna help with that, and the choreography, we're gonna make sure that all your strong suits show in this dance" Ryan declared. Arden's smile returned but quickly faded when she glanced at her friends and noticed Tommy wasn't present.

"I guess Tommy is still devastated..." she muttered gloomily.

Nap exchanged a sympathetic look. "He didn't talk to you?" Arden shook her head.

"Don't worry about him, give him some time and he'll budge. For now,  we should just let him be," Nick dismissed. The rest of the team were voiced their agreement.

She decided to persevere and not think about him but focus on choosing music. The team sat down on the dance floor in a demented circle with ideas and suggestions filling the air.

"It has to be a song that complements Arden's style," Ryan pointed out. The group began to suggest artists now. Many of the artists that were offered were American and Arden saw the error in this.

"I think it should be Korean," she affirmed. Voices fell silent, for most of her crew members didn't have as much knowledge of Korean music as Arden did.

"That Kai guy auditioned with an American song, I remember since you showed me that video a million times," Nick said.

"I can't see myself going into this without a Korean song, Nick," Arden asserted. From there, Nick recognized that this was instinctual with Arden.

"If we didn't do that Chaser dance then I would've suggested that song for her audition," Josie confessed.

"That was a really good dance, one of our best. I don't know how we are going to top that one." Arden reflected.

"We can always make a dance better than the last one, you especially." Nap assured Arden.

"Just gotta figure out the right Kpop song to go with it," Josie added. Arden went through a list of songs on her iPod that played through the stereo speakers. As she played these songs, she already had one particular song in mind.

Song after song, Arden attempted quick improv to the music but none of them felt right. They took a quick break. Arden decided to check the group's email on Nap's computer for a reply from S.M Entertainment. Her lips perked into a smile finding a new email on the screen. They answered all her questions, which made her more excited. They also asked her to fill out an application and a confirmation letter for her and her agent's flight ticket.

The application form asked for her name, age, gender, height, weight, ethnicity, a head shot, full body picture and some of her dance experience. She began to fill the application.

"They want dance experience too." Ryan pointed out.

"Well, you've got plenty of that," Nap commented. Arden took a while to write out that section, having her members look over it and help her recall all her previous dance experiences that traced back to her later childhood. Her mood fell low again when she was reminiscing about all her memories of dance, Tommy had played a major role in her life, dance especially ever since she turned to hip hop dancing.

They had started as a duo, then had expanded Shout Crew with the addition of Napier. Then Arden met Josie in university through her dance program. Then, through the years, the group grew, gaining and losing members.

"They'll let you in just by looking at your experience!" Josie hyped. "Dance scholarship, winning competitions, dancer for music videos and movies, collaboration with Quest Crew, the list is endless!"

"Most of those references belong to the whole group. We've accomplished so much in the last couple of years." The memories were racing through Arden's head. Her feelings were punctuated with apprehensiveness over the group's fate.

"Are you going to send it?" Nap questioned. Her head snapped into focus again. The fear was still there, but she pricked up the courage to make herself send it because of her friend's encouragement. There was no going back, Arden realized.

They went back to debating song choices. Every suggestion she dismissed as her mind was fixed on one song only.

"I think I can to make very good choreography to BTD by Infinite." The more she thought about the song, the more she realized it was the right song.

She played it for them resulting in much approval by the group.

Everyone in the room agreed on the song and began their warm up stretches to start the choreography.

Over the course of the subsequent two weeks, Arden continued to work hard on the dance, perfecting all her moves and bringing out all the characteristics of her dance style; also making some changes and fine-tuning key aspects of the dance. By the end of the week, she started to practice her routine by herself and stay in the studio until the sky darkened. She had been so focused, that she hadn't thought about Tommy as long as she was dancing.

Only her crew members and her parents knew about this audi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter