I

The Audition Exo Short Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Before Exodus

Ideas of a new concept for the big comeback album of EXO were in the process by the head people of S.M Entertainment. EXO was finishing up some last recordings of the new album, they were hyped about performing new songs. Singing the same songs, doing the same dances repetitively, as much as they loved (and sometimes endured) it, it grew tiresome. So this is a nice change, and the material is great.

Around this time, hours of dance practice filled their schedule; new choreography was to be taught. But they weren't called down to dance practice as much as they expected; in fact, they only went over one dance routine when they should have been going over at least two or more. The band started to wonder why dance seemed to be the least of their priorities.

Maybe it's a part of the new concept, thought Suho, the leader of the idol group. As he was getting dressed for a busy day of interviews and TV specials EXO was to make their appearances. Suho let himself elaborate on his thoughts: new album, new concept, new image, therefore their boy band image would defuse, with less focus on the dance aspect and more showcase on their vocal ability and stage presence just like groups such as One Direction and 5 Seconds of Summer. He could see the connection in this new approach that S.M potentially wanted to take. Having a similar style to international acts could raise their popularity as a group.

However, these songs didn't match this potential concept. It was still dance music, unless jumping around and flailing their arms in every direction on stage like One Direction would substitute for their choreography. Oh, how Suho and the other members wished they knew what was going on in S.M Entertainment's head.

________

Some of the members were bound to crash asleep as soon as their bodies hit any soft surface they could lay on, yet they decided on relaxing from a long and tiring day with a quality film. Chen and Lay were preparing popcorn and gathering snacks while the other members were lounging on the living room couch.

"Get off Youtube. We still need to find a movie to watch," Sehun nagged Kyungsoo who was in possession of the TV remote. 

"I'm looking for a trailer right now," replied Kyungsoo, his puffy brown eyes focusing on the screen. "I can't remember the name of the movie, though," he added.

"That's not our video in the suggestions, is it?" inquired Baekhyun. The band had come across their videos featured on the homepage before, yet it still felt odd to see themselves on it.

"No, can't you see Dance Cover in the title? And the person in the picture is a girl." Sehun clarified, pointing at the thumbnail. He hadn't even bothered to wash all the product out of his dark brown hair as it felt sticky against the couch pillows. Three million views were the view count that was displayed below the video EXO GROWL DANCE COVER FT. QUEST CREW.

"Why don't we watch it?" Xiumin suggested.

"You've never seen a dance cover?" Chanyeol asked as his long legs stretched over to rest on the coffee table.

"Not one of ours," Xiumin returned to Chanyeol who was seated next to him.

"D.O., play it." Ordered Baekhyun.

"I thought we were going to watch a movie?" Kyungsoo questioned back.

"We still have to wait for Tao to come down, so let's just watch this while we wait for him," Suho suggested.

"Tao probably crashed as soon as he got to his room," muttered Chanyeol for only the people on either side of him to hear.

Chen and Lay quickly hurried to the living room to figure out what video their friends were discussing. They set the bowls of snacks and the drinks down before settling on the couch.

"What are we watching?" Chen inquired, plopping down next to Suho.

"Apparently a dance video to Growl," Suho said, expanding his arm around the back of Chen's head to pull him by the neck, convincing Chen that he was going to headlock him but he embraced him instead.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter