#SIX

I'll Be Your Light

 

 

 

 

###

AUTHOR'S NOTE: AYOOO WADDUP!! SORRY FOR MY LACK OF WEEKLY UPDATES!! I'll be on track from now on (hopefully...). And I just want to put it out there that the chapters come in forms of events (things that happen) rather than the 'everyday life' kind of writing. You may notice time skips without any mentions of it in the chapters, however, if the events are back-to-back (for example, chapter 2 and 3), then you'll know because I'll make it really obvious (as in mentioning "the next morning/that afternoon/that night/etc.") I hope this way of writing chapters don't confuse you all too much... XD Enjoy and remember to leave comments~ See all of you gorgeous beings later~

###

 

 

 

 

 

    Leaning against the glass window next to the classroom’s door, Jaebum nodded his head to an imaginary beat tuning inside his head while waiting for his best friend. There was a test during Jaebum’s period and the boy happened to finished it early (aced it or failed it), so he got to leave early. And of course, the bad boy would be hanging around outside of his blind friend’s class. 

 

    The ending bell rang loudly, creating ruckuses of tired students, who have all been counting down till the second school ends. Everyone gathered their stuff in a hurry, racing each other to escape out from this Hellhole. Youngjae remained in his seat as he calmly loaded his books and pencil case into his backpack. Jaebum casually walked into the empty classroom, towards that one occupied seat. 

 

    “You’re so slow, Jae-ah,” the bad boy teased with a small smile. 

 

    Halting for about a second to register who’s in the room with him, Youngjae didn’t missed to scoff afterwards at Jaebum’s ridiculous attempt at nagging him. “Shut up, Bummie. I’m blind. God, how many times do I have to repeat myself for you to get it engraved inside that minimal brain of yours?” 

 

    Staring at Youngjae affectionately, Jaebum laughed it off. He shook his head and didn’t say anymore. Instead, he waited for the blind boy to finish zipping up his bag. Youngjae, with the intention of annoying his best friend, took his sweet time to pack himself up. When he was finally done, he swiftly pulled the straps over his shoulders. Jaebum reached out and grabbed Youngjae’s hand and held it, leading both of them out of the classroom.

 

    The sight of the school’s biggest loser hand-in-hand with another male student sparked interest in the usual group of pathetic bullies who’ve got nothing else better to do than picking on those physically weaker than them. Of course, Doohwan would be leading the group of disastrous teenage boys. “Woah, woah, woah, will you look at that? What’s going on? Choi Youngjae, I didn’t know you’re such a player! Who’s that? New boyfriend?” 

 

    Laughters erupted from the undisciplined boys. Other students passed by with pity in their eyes for the blind boy. But no one stopped to defend him, though. After all, Youngjae is the biggest loser ever. Normal people don’t help losers. The two halted in the tracks. Jaebum slowly turned around to face Doohwan and his group of cowards. 

 

    “Holy ,” someone gasped, “that’s Im Jaebum!” 

 

    “What?” Another pipped. “No ing way. Im Jaebum?”

 

    “He’s different!” The group of boys were stirred among themselves at the shocking sight of the school’s baddest Ice Prince looking partially normal with his straight and unstyled fringe hanging gracefully over his, usually, exposed forehead. 

 

    “Are you sure that’s him?”

 

    “Dude! That’s Im Jaebum.”

 

    “Oh, my God. It is. Well, .” 

 

    Jaebum just stared at the noisy group with unamused eyes. He wasn’t in any mood to deal with this right now. All he’s in the mood to do is Youngjae. He just wants to take Youngjae home, away from this awful place. Jaebum looked over at his best friend, who’s unknowingly gripped onto Jaebum’s hand really tight. Squeezing Youngjae’s hand back, Jaebum reassured the blind boy that everything’s fine. With Jaebum here, nobody would dared to laid even a finger on Youngjae.

 

    “ off,” Jaebum said, a sigh following afterwards, indicating his exasperation of their lame bull. 

 

    Doohwan scoffed nastily before stepping down from the high ground he was standing on. He came face-to-face with Jaebum. With a distasted snarl, Doohwan spat, “who do you think you are, Im Jaebum? Look how low you’re dropping to impress this piece of good-for-nothing trash.” 

 

    Because Youngjae knew Jaebum has a short temper, the blind boy’s other hand, that’s not being held by Jaebum’s rough one, quickly reached over and gripped onto the said boy’s arm, softly squeezing those muscles to calm the bad boy. Youngjae didn’t wanted to cause a scene, especially when they’re still on school property. Jaebum had already done bad enough; one more fight and he could get expelled. But that’s what Doohwan was hoping for. Provoking Jaebum until he rages and throws the first punch has always been Doohwan’s first priority. And things were made easier when the bully knew just what gets under the Ice Prince’s thick skin.

 

   Choi Youngjae.

 

    “Youngjae-ah~ I’ve been missing you a lot~” Doohwan grinned, his snake-like tongue darted out and the corner of his mouth teasingly while eyes strained on Youngjae’s slightly-panicked pale face. “You’ve gotten a lot cuter~” 

 

    Holding tighter onto Youngjae’s small hand, Jaebum made a fast move to push the blind boy behind him. “I said  off.” Jaebum growled through gritted teeth, body protectively covered his best friend. 

 

    “Come on, Youngjae-ah! You can’t POSSIBLY be choosing this overrated heartless slump over me! Come play with us, Jae-ah.”

 

    Eyebrows furrowed angrily and sharp eyes glaring thousands of daggers into Doohwan’s smug face of a shameless bastard, Jaebum’s blood boiled at the nickname that disgustingly rolled out of that ’s poisonous tongue. Jaebum began counting the seconds. “Don’t call him that.” 

 

    Doohwan laughed hysterically, clutching at his stomach at how funny the whole situation was. “I can call him whatever and however I like, Jaebum. The world doesn’t revolve around you alone, my friend.” 

 

    “Nobody here is your friend,” Jaebum retorted, suppressing his fury with each word, “it’s hard to be friends with someone’s so pathetic and worthless. No one would wants a friend who have nothing better to do than bullying those weaker than you are. You’re not fiveGrow the up.”  

 

    “You-“

 

    “Doohwan-hyung, let’s just go before we all get in trouble,” one of Doohwan’s boys stepped forwards and puts some distance between his leader and the lonesome prince. 

 

    “Yeah… Let’s drop it, hyungnim. The teachers will be here soon.” 

 

    “Come on, hyung, they’re not worth it.” 

 

    “Hyung-“

 

    “One day, Im Jaebum, one day,” Doohwan glared, his eyes filled with the heavy smell of metallic, of blood. 

 

    Jaebum smirked, “I’ll wait.”

 

    With a sinister smile, Doohwan didn’t let his chance of threaten his sworn enemy to go down the drain just like that. “It won’t be you. I’ll be that little puppy you’re protecting,” leaning in closer to Jaebum’s face, Doohwan whispered harshly, “if you want him for yourself, you better keep him close.” 

 

    Jaebum’s free hand moved to grab onto Doohwan’s shirt’s collars, “touch him and I’ll make sure you regret being alive.” 

 

    Brushing Jaebum’s hand off, Doohwan crackled annoyingly, knocking against every door of tolerance Jaebum had left. He watched the group left and could hear their horrendous laughters echoed through the halls. Jaebum shook it off with an eye-roll. He then turned to his best friend, who’s been awfully quiet. 

 

    “Hey, Youngjae,” Jaebum softly called as his hand rubbed slowly against his best friend’s arm. “You okay?”

 

    Youngjae exhaled loudly but still managed to nod in assurance. “Yeah. I’m okay. No worries. I’ve been through this. Thank you, Jaebum.” 

 

    Jaebum sighed, “let’s get you home. I want to stay over.” 

 

    “All of a sudden? Is it because of what Doohwan said? If so, then you don’t need to worry beca-“

 

    “Tomorrow’s Saturday, Jae, and it’s getting colder alone in my house.”

 

    “Okay then. I’m sure my family wouldn’t mind. They’re, like, in love with you.” 

 

    Youngjae’s comment had granted a wholehearted laughter out of Jaebum. “That’s nice. Are you, too?”

 

    “What?”

 

    “In love with me?” 

 

    This time, Youngjae laughed. “Of course not, idiot! You’re my best friend! And that’s weird.”

 

    A bit, no, scratch that, very disappointed with Youngjae’s straightforward answer, Jaebum mumbled under his breath, “best friends can fall in love, too…” 

 

    “Did you say something?”

 

    “No,” Jaebum shook his head, “just talking to myself.” 

 

    “Let’s go home, then,” Youngjae said. 

 

    Continue holding Youngjae’s soft hand, Jaebum smiled mildly and led the both of them to the parking where he had locked his bike. Reluctantly letting go, Jaebum missed the feeling of Youngjae’s hand in his, but he had to unlock their transportation. And like, now, usual, Youngjae would rest his chin on top of his best friend’s silky locks of raven hair that’s free of bothersome products. The ride home was nothing but the scraping of the late autumn winds against exposed skins of teens enjoying the way their friendship hugs their individual loneliness. 

 

    But of course, Youngjae’s arms and hands would somehow ended up winding messily around Jaebum’s neck and shoulders because the said male would pull some lame tricks like pedaling extremely fast down the hill. And of course, Jaebum would laugh out loud at how ridiculous (and cute) his blind best friend was reacting. Youngjae would then proceed to hit Jaebum. It hurts, of course. 

 

    “You need to stop that!” Youngjae scolded as he carefully got himself off the bike. 

 

    “Admit it,” Jaebum stifled back a laugh, “that was fun.” 

 

    Pouting, Youngjae muttered quietly, “no, it wasn’t.” 

 

    “Jae-ah~” 

 

    Ignored. 

 

    “Youngjae-ah~” 

 

    Still ignored. 

 

    “Choi Youngjae~” 

 

    Continue to ignored. 

 

    “Grandma! Your grandson is ignoring me!” Jaebum whined to Youngjae’s grandmother as soon as the two stepped inside Youngjae’s house (after Jaebum had removed all his piercings and buttoned up his uniform obviously).

 

    “Aigoo, what did you do this time, Jaebum?” Youngjae’s grandma approached the two boys with a kind smile, hands holding a tray of just-made green tea, Jaebum’s favorite. 

 

    “Nothing much, I swear! He’s overreacting,” Jaebum sighed, yet still stuck his hands out to grab a cup of that heavenly tea, “I’ll be taking one. Thank you, Grandma~ You’re the best~” 

 

    “Go ahead and have a lot. I’ve just made them for Youngjae, but I didn’t know you’ll be coming over. Are you staying for dinner?” The old woman set the tray down on the small table that’s placed in the middle of the wall of brown leathered sofas. “Youngjae, come here.”

 

    Following the voice of his dear grandmother, Youngjae made it from the front door to the sofas without any help. He slowly took a seat, reaching out his hands to feel anything he’d came in contact with. “Woah. Slow down there, Jae. Where are you touching?” Jaebum almost dropped his cup of tea; he’s so sure his face is as red as that tacky red blanket that Youngjae gifted him as a Christmas present five years ago. 

 

    Youngjae frowned, “sorry, I didn’t know. And you shouldn’t have sat right next to me.”  

 

    “Excuse you, it’s not my fault that your hands like to wander elsewhere,” Jaebum defended. 

 

    Youngjae rolled his eyes, “whatever. Stop acting like you’re a . You’re not.”  

 

    Jaebum scoffed and continued sipping on his tea, pushing the embarrassing incident back behind him. Youngjae’s right. He shouldn’t act like he’s never been touched before. But that was out of nowhere and caught Jaebum completely off guard. Maybe he shouldn’t sit down before Youngjae. 

 

    “So you are staying over, right, Jaebum?” Youngjae’s grandma flashed a sweet smile. 

 

    “Yes! It’s the weekends and I’m a bit lonely. I hope you don’t mind,” Jaebum returned the smile with a matching grin. 

 

    “Oh, God, no! You’re always welcome here, Jaebum-ah. You could keep Youngjae's company, since his parents took off on a short business trip together this morning, and I’ll be returning back to my hometown for the weekends on family matters. I was about to call anyways,” the old lady explained, looking at her grandson’s best friend with hopeful eyes. 

 

    A smile immediately plastered across Jaebum’s face. “I’ll be more than happy to look after Youngjae! Leave him to me!” 

 

    Next to an enthusiastic Jaebum, Youngjae groaned, “it’s like you all think I can’t take care of myself.” 

 

    Turning over to Youngjae, Jaebum reached up and the smaller’s cheek tenderly, “no one saids that, Jae-ah. You’ll probably call me over anyways.” 

 

    “You know that’s true, my child,” Grandmother chuckled at the adorable sight of Jaebum petting Youngjae. 

 

    Not even denying it, Youngjae returned to finishing his cup of tea. They’re right. Youngjae would have called Jaebum over sooner or later due to his inability to contain himself against boredom. Even if they ended up doing nothing but lay around in Youngjae’s bed all day, at least there’s someone other than a helpless blind teenager in the empty house. 

 

    Jaebum helped Youngjae upstairs when they finished their tea and waved “goodbyes” to Grandmother as she hailed for a taxi down the street. Now it’s just Youngjae and Jaebum. 

 

    “You brought clothes?” Youngjae asked, taking off his blazer and tie and working on ing his shirt. 

 

    Jaebum didn’t mean to stand there and watch, but that’s exactly what he did. “Erm… Uh… I left some clothes here the last time I’ve came over… So… I’m just, uh, going to go look for them…” He held his breath, silently praying Youngjae wouldn’t take off that shirt all the way. Or else it’ll be a huge problem for Jaebum. 

 

    “Okay, I’ll just go shower first,” Youngjae said before casually walking out of his room and into the bathroom next door with ease. If there’s anywhere around the house that Youngjae knows best, it would be the way from his room to his bathroom. 

 

    “Yeah, uh, have fun…” And Jaebum wanted to slap himself for sounding so awkward. Really? Have fun? Who wishes someone else to 'have fun' in the shower? Like, that’s so lame. Why in the holy name of God is Jaebum acting this way? He’s losing it. And that’s not okay. Not to Jaebum. 

 

    Shaking his head, Jaebum was disappointed in himself for being uncool. He’s supposed to be smooth like how he always is. But in front of Youngjae, it’s like all composures Jaebum had ever possessed just slipped through his fingers like waterfalls. The bad boy groaned loudly as he dug around inside his best friend’s closet. Eventually, he found his pair of black sweats and a thin long-sleeves forest green sweater. Throwing those two articles of clothing to the side, Jaebum tried to look for his boxer (if he did ever left one here) but no luck. 

 

    “Oh well, can’t be that bad. I usually sleeps anyways,” Jaebum shrugged. 

 

    He picked up his clothes and walked back to Youngjae’s bed. He sat there in silence as he listened to the shower going off next door. The water just remained running. After a couple of minutes, Jaebum decided it’ll be a great idea to bring clothes in for Youngjae. What coincidence. The blind male had forgotten to lock the bathroom’s door. Without thinking about it twice, Jaebum turned the knob of the bathroom door and walked straight in with clean clothes in his hands. Only to stop dead in his steps when he remembered that the shower room was entirely made of transparent glass. “Youngjae- oh, God, I’m so sorry!” 

 

    Because Jaebum is somewhat a polite human being, his eyes trained themselves to focus only on Youngjae’s soaked head of dark locks. Suddenly, Jaebum forgot how to breathe. He just stood there, dumbfounded and embarrassed, trying to keep himself from straying too far into whatever black hole is this cruel fate. 

 

    Of course Youngjae would turned around. 

 

    Jaebum thought the back of Youngjae’s head was enough to killed him. He was wrong. The bad boy’s jaw dropped slightly at the sight of water dripping and gliding down his best friend’s face. The way those tiny droplets clung onto his blind friend’s long eyelashes drawn all that was left of Jaebum’s soul. Closing his mouth and swallowing the lump in his throat, Jaebum’s mind was forced to find a solution for this situation before his body gave out. Apparently, his mind wasn’t functioning correctly at the moment and all he think of was letting his eyes travel lower… 

 

    “Jaebum?” 

 

    Youngjae’s called of his name snapped Jaebum out of whatever perfect fantasy he was playing inside his ed up mind. “H-huh?”

 

    “You need anything?” 

 

    You. I need you. An evil whisper seductively blew into the bad boy’s ear. Jaebum quickly shook away that thought and cleared his throat. “Y-you didn’t bring a change of clothes, so I…” Lifting his hands up to show Youngjae the items, Jaebum rolled his eyes. Right. Youngjae can’t see

    

    “Oh,” the boy titled his head slightly (Jaebum wanted to die). “I was going to change in my room once I finished but thanks anyways.” 

 

    Nodding absentmindedly because all Jaebum could think about right now is to ONLY look at Youngjae’s face and nowhere else. No matter how his skin was glistening against the coat of clear liquid with traces of white foamy substance of the shampoo. No matter how ten thousands times attractive he became when wet. No matter how dried Jaebum’s lips are. No matter how bad Jaebum’s knees were shaking. No matter how much Jaebum wanted to stare and stare all day. No matter how sinful Youngjae was looking under the raining of water, drenching his frail bare body. No matter how extra vulnerable Youngjae was looking. No matter how much Jaebum wants to do something about the uncomfortable feeling in his pants. No matter how oblivious Youngjae is and how desperate Jaebum is. No matter what. Doesn’t matter what. 

 

    Jaebum will not let this ruined his friendship with someone who meant the world to him. 

 

    “I’ll just leave it here on this counter near the sink, all right?” Jaebum informed before placing the neatly folded clothes where he had said. 

 

    “Okay,” Youngjae replied and went back to running his hands through his hair, massaging his scalp. 

 

    With a nod and purse of the lips, Jaebum silently exited the bathroom. He collapsed as soon as the back of his knees hits the edge of Youngjae’s bed. He gripped the fabric above where his heart was beating wildly. Jaebum finally let out the breath he’s been holding. He closed his eyes to will away the painful straining between his legs. Calm down, Jaebum. Calm down. It’s okay. You’re just going through a lot right now. Everything’s fine. Calm down. Jaebum comforted himself. His poor heart couldn't take it much like he had hoped. 

 

    “Why did I walked in?” Jaebum sighed. “I’m so ing stupid. Oh, my ing God, Im Jaebum, why?” There’s nothing for him to do except scolding himself at his utterly careless decision. “. Now it’s stuck in my head forever. Thank God it’s only his face. Thank God for giving me the strength to not wander off into the pit of my stupidity.”

 

    Swallowing hard, Jaebum still gripped tightly onto the fabric of his white uniform button-down. “Calm down, this isn’t the first time you’ve seen him . Chill.” Jaebum mumbled to himself, determined to repressed the rising of blood and adrenaline that’s actively running courses all over his veins. “But goddamn, it’s the first time after I’ve developed this weird feeling for him. Someone, please, explain to me how can a normal human look so ing good with water running all over his face? Oh, my God, what am I thinking?? Stop it, Im Jaebum!” 

 

    “Are you okay, Bummie?” Youngjae’s voice jolted all of Jaebum’s nerves awake. The bad boy let out a shriek and jumped fully on the bed, face morphed into horror. Youngjae was taken back at the loud noise. The blind boy automatically held onto the doorknob like his life was depending on it. 

 

    Noticing Youngjae’s scared reaction, Jaebum blinked thrice and calmed down instantly. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to- you scared me.” 

 

    Sighing, Youngjae left his place by the door and made his way over to his bed. His hands patted the soft cushion a few times before he settled down carefully on the mattress. As on cue, Jaebum crawled over closer to his best friend and took the tower that’s hanging around the latter’s neck. Youngjae sat still as Jaebum dried his hair. 

 

    “Jaebum,” Youngjae said.

 

    “Hmm?” The called male answered with a hum. 

 

    “Should you be getting yourself a new girlfriend?” 

 

    Stopping his movements for some seconds, Jaebum bit his lower lip, “what do you mean?” He continued softly rubbing the towel against Youngjae’s wet hair. 

 

    “You’ve been touching me a lot lately, you know?” Youngjae bluntly said, getting right to the point. 

 

    Jaebum almost dropped the towel, but managed to prevented his fail or it’ll be obvious. Youngjae took his best friend’s silence as a sign to go on. “I mean, instead of letting me grabbing onto your arm like usual, you always, like, holds my hand, and pats my head and touches my cheeks. And you’ve been staring at me a lot more than before. I could feel it. Something’s wrong, Jaebum-ah?” 

 

    “No!” Jaebum immediately denied, “nothing’s wrong, Youngjae. Don’t worry about it.” 

 

    “But Jaebum-“

 

    “I said it’s nothing. I’m fine.”

 

    “Are you sure? I’m your best friend, Bummie-ah. I’m always here, so tell me whenever something’s wrong. Don’t hide it from me, yeah?” Youngjae said, visibly upset because Jaebum is definitely hiding something. 

 

    Staring at the back of Youngjae’s head, Jaebum sighed softly, “I won’t. If there’s anything, you’ll be the first to know, like always.” He allowed his hand to run through Youngjae’s still-wet bed of hair. Youngjae hummed peacefully as his eyes shut close. They did that for a while before Jaebum had to force himself to stop. “Now why don’t you go and think of we should eat for dinner while I go shower?” 

 

    Nodding excitedly, Youngjae beamed, “okay!” 

 

    Smiling warmly at Youngjae’s child-like behavior, Jaebum got off the bed and gathered his clothes in one hand. 

 

    Being an awesome best friend he is, Youngjae didn’t missed the chance to tease, “make sure to lock the door. Don’t be like me.” 

 

    Shocked, Jaebum turned around and stared at his best friend with wide eyes, “w-wh-what?”

 

    Giggling, Youngjae winked at the wall in front of him, but Jaebum got the idea, “it’s okay. I can’t see anyways. Don’t be so embarrassed~” 

 

    “Yah! Choi Youngjae!” Jaebum’s face burned into a pretty scarlet. “Stop with the nonsense!” He’s grateful that Youngjae can’t see right now. 

 

    “Okay, okay, okay! Go shower. I was just kidding,” Youngjae hid his chuckled behind his hand, ready to deliver his last line, “but I’m sure you have a great body, though. That’s something to be proud of.” 

 

    “Choi. Youngjae.” 

 

    The blind boy’s laughter could be heard clearly from behind the bathroom’s door, where Jaebum had collapsed once more onto the cold tiled floor, clutching at his chest at the suffocating feeling of a forbidden affair. Jaebum decided not to gamble and save both him and Youngjae the trouble of a couple of heartbreaks and painful clenchings of yearning hearts.