#THREE

I'll Be Your Light

 

 

 

###

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Sorry this chapt. was too short.... I had longer ones, but my little brother (the Devil in disguise) was messing around on my laptop and deleted them.... So in the state of devastion over my lost hard work, I've only managed this much... I promise to be better next time! I hope you all enjoy the chapt. and don't be afraid to leave a lot of comments~ I'll see y'all later~

###

 

 
 
 
 
    His fingers clumsily tried to tie the tie under the collars of his shirt by memory. But it didn’t worked out so well. Youngjae could tell that something was wrong without having to see it. So he hastily took the fabric apart again, for the third time, as his patience started to wear thin. Jaebum enters the room (his room) with wet hair and smells of fresh shampoo. He watches as his best friend’s eyebrows furrowed in frustration and eyes stared straight ahead. Chuckling and gave a little head shook, Jaebum walked over to the bed and swatted Youngjae’s hands away from the abused tie.
 
    “Let me do it,” Jaebum took over and within a minute, he had Youngjae’s black-and-red stripped tie looking neat and pretty on the white uniform shirt. 
 
    “Thank you,” Youngjae mumbled, upset evident on his face. “I can’t even tie a tie. How cruel must life be?” 
 
    “You’re fine.” 
 
    Jaebum walked over to his closet and lets the towel that’s wrapped around his waist drop carelessly on the floor. He reached in and pulled out his uniform and a pair of boxers. Slipping on his shirt, Jaebum turns towards his blind friend, who’s feeling around the bed (Jaebum’s bed) for his school blazer. “Sleep well?” 
 
    “I guess. At least you didn’t kicked me off this time,” Youngjae’s hand found the jacket. “You’ve grown, I see.”
 
    “It’s been years since the last time we slept together on the same bed so of course,” Jaebum scoffed and pulled up his pants. “But you still wakes up really early.” 
 
    “That’s because I tends to take long in the shower due to the process of differentiating which one is the shampoo and shaving cream. By the way, you shave your legs? That isn’t like you.”
 
    “No, I shave my , Jae.” 
 
    “Oh, well, that makes more sense.”
 
    “Obviously, girls always complaining about a hairy ,” Jaebum just puts on his blazer, completely ignoring the tie that’s hanging on the hook behind his closet’s door. “Gotta stay clean for the ladies.”
 
    Youngjae sighed, already fully dressed and ready to go, “your only gentlemanly act is making it comfortable for girls to blow you. How Jaebum-like.” 
 
    Smirking as he styles his hair in its usual sharp bad boy updo, Jaebum lowkey admires the handsome face that’s staring back at him with an identical tug of those attractive lips, “you’re just jealous ‘cause you’ve never got one.” 
 
    “Whatever,” Youngjae rolled his eyes, “you’ve changed so much.” 
 
    “People change, my friend,” taking one more glance at the piercings that’s settling upon his ears, Jaebum walks towards his bed and grabbed Youngjae’s wrist, pulling the blind boy up to his feet. “Except for you. And I like that. So don’t change, Youngjae.” 
 
    “I can’t anyways.”
 
    The two boys exited the house, and unlike usual, Jaebum and Youngjae walked to school on foot. Jaebum constantly reminding himself to buy a new bike since his best friend won’t stop complaining how long and tiring the walk is. They ended up a little later after the first bell had rung because Youngjae smelled ice cream and practically begged Jaebum to buy some. Anyways, no matter how late, Jaebum still dropped his best friend off and watched him settled down in his first period class before running to his own. 
 
    Lunch comes rolling around, Youngjae was about to put the riceball that Jaebum bought at the school’s cafeteria in his mouth when loud stomping of heels against tiles approached their table. The overwhelming scent of rose oil perfume was enough for Youngjae to know who had decided to visit. Jaebum sat up and sighed, slightly annoyed. 
 
    “Im. Jae. Bum,” Sohee crosses her arms against her full chest, her pretty eyes bored into her boyfriend’s. Jaebum still prefers Youngjae’s eyes. 
 
    “What is it this time?” The school’s hottest bad boy hid a little yawn behind his hand, hinting that he wasn’t interested. Of course, Youngjae caught onto that and gave his best friend a little kick under the table, which made Jaebum hissed and glared at the owner of that rude assault. 
 
    Sohee scoffed and flipped her curly brown hair sassily, “I’m sick of this bull, Jaebum. I’m tired of always being the one who tries in this relationship. Look, I think if you’re not serious about this, then we should just go our own ways.” 
 
    Jaebum just shrugged like if he could give more than two flying s, “okay.” 
 
    Youngjae shook his head in defeat. A woman’s words meant so much more than what she actually said. You need to read between the lines. Sohee obviously wants Jaebum to prove her wrong by telling her how serious he is about them and that he loves her and that he’s sorry. But Im Jaebum wasn't that type of person. 
 
    “Excuse me?!” Sohee shrieked a bit too loud, causing the cafeteria to stir in curiosity and everyone focused their attention on the school’s visual couple. 
 
    “I said ‘okay,’ and jeez, can you chill?” Jaebum broke eye contact with his now ex-girlfriend and turned back to playing with his food. 
 
    “I can’t believe,” Sohee huffed, looking like she’s about to cry, making this whole situation worse. 
 
    Youngjae decide, which he shouldn’t, to slip in a few words for Sohee. “Jaebum-ah, don’t do this. Talk it out with each others.”
 
    Looking at his best friend’s blank eyes and turning back to look at Sohee, Jaebum gave a little reluctant nod and said, “fine. Whatever.” 
 
    His answer only made Sohee more angry, because she had always been the second choice. It’s always been Choi Youngjae that Jaebum cares for above anything and everyone else. Sohee doesn’t know what is it, but there’s this look in Jaebum’s eyes whenever he looks at Youngjae. And she doesn’t know if Jaebum knows it himself. Either way, she’s jealous at the kind of attention Youngjae is receiving from Jaebum. She’s so through of being understanding. She could care way less if Youngjae is blind. 
 
    “You only listens to him,” Sohee commented, hoping to find relief for her raging heart.  “You don’t care about anybody else but him. Is he that important?!” 
 
    Jaebum knows perfectly well who Sohee was referring to. All his past girlfriends were the same; they’re always jealous of that one person. “Yes, he is.”
 
    Finding himself in an uncomfortable situation of being the wall in between his best friend’s relationships, Youngjae quickly tried to mend the atmosphere before it gets any worser than it already is. “No, that’s not what he means, Sohee-ssi. We’re just best-“
 
    “BULL!” Sohee shouted, now facing herself towards Youngjae, eyes glazing with deep red of all mixture of emotions that could only spelt out 'hate.’ 
 
    Youngjae flinched involuntarily. Although he couldn’t see, all his other senses were very sensitive. His ears ringing at her high-pitched voice, and his skin tingling timidly under her furious gaze. Youngjae was scared. 
 
    “YAH!” Jaebum roared, standing up, causing Youngjae to almost jumped out of his seat. Every students were shock at the quiet Ice Prince’s outburst. “Why are you so needy? Us ing should be enough for you. Stop trying to get more than that out of me. If you want romance, you’re dating the wrong person,” and with that the bad boy rounded over and grabbed his blind friend’s wrist, pulling the latter up and dragged him out of the cafeteria.
 
    All eyes followed the duo until the doors closed behind those two iconic figures. Sohee was left all alone, embarrassed and angry. She couldn’t believe it. She had done so much to get close to the Jaebum and get him to go out with her. Yet, she’d ended up being treated this way. It’s not fair. 
 
    “J-Jaebum, let go or slow down. I can’t catch up,” Youngjae tries to wiggled out of his best friend’s grip, but all effort goes down the drain. “Yah! Im Jaebum! Stop. Right. Now.”
 
    Jaebum stopped, fingers still wrapped harshly around Youngjae’s small wrist, face contorted to a scowl (but he still looks handsome). He was angry. He was angry at Sohee for making Youngjae scared like that. So he didn’t thought about it twice and just snapped. 
 
    “You’re not going to let go?” Youngjae softens his voice, knowing well that in situations like these, a mad Jaebum only likes to be spoken to softly and slowly. 
 
    Slightly shaking his head, but only to remembers that his best friend couldn’t see, so Jaebum mumbled quietly. “No.” 
 
    Sighing, Youngjae didn’t question more but to give Jaebum the signal to stop gripping onto his wrist so hard. Jaebum eased his grasp a little. “You know, I was eating.” 
 
    Began walking down the school’s hallway with the destination of the garden in mind, Jaebum sighs, “I’ll buy you more ice cream later.” 
 
    Immediately, Youngjae’s face lit up with a bright smile. “Don’t go back on your words!”
 
    “You don’t have to worry about that,” the next sentence that came out of Jaebum’s mouth surprised him. “When have I ever refused anything you’ve asked…” 
 
    Clearing his throat to get rid of the strange feeling he was starting to feel creeping up inside him, Jaebum was glad that Youngjae doesn’t have the personality to read too deeply into things. But did Sohee words affected Jaebum in any way? While holding onto his best friend’s fragile wrist and walking together out into the fresh chilly air, Jaebum started to wonder how the Hell did he answered Sohee’s question so smoothly without missing a beat or halting to clearly think about it. What is this? Why hasn’t he realized anything? 
 
    Stopping on his tracks, Jaebum turned around and faced Youngjae, who’s facing sideways, confused. Biting on his lower lip, Jaebum wanted to try something. “You’re very important to me, Youngjae-ah.” 
 
    “And you’re very important to me, too!” Youngjae replied with a wide smile, showing his teeth and his eyes turning into upside-down crescents. 
 
    Without thinking, Jaebum’s hand reached out, his fingers found Youngjae’s chin, and turned the blind boy’s face towards the right direction. “If you’re going to smile at me, at least do it correctly. I’m over here.” 
 
    Smiling again, but this time, directly at Jaebum, “sorry, I didn’t know where you were.” 
 
    Jaebum was sure throughout his childhood and years of being close with Youngjae, this smile had never affected him. Youngjae was a cheerful person. He always smiles and Jaebum always sees it. So it wouldn’t be anything new to see it again and again. So what difference does this time makes? So why does Jaebum suddenly feel like he’s bewitched by his own best friend’s star-like smile? 
 
    Jaebum wanted to try something else. 
 
    Placing a hand softly on Youngjae’s cheek, Jaebum stared into those onyx orbs he’s so fond of. He began closing the gap between them. And when he was close enough, something inside him stirred wildly. Youngjae’s face was only a couple of small centimeters away. 
 
    “Jaebum?” Youngjae’s call came out as a small whisper as if he’s being careful.
 
    Looking down at his best friend’s lips, Jaebum leaned in closer. Everything in that moment was still like time had froze over. The soothing cold autumn wind sent chills down Jaebum’s back. But his face was being warmed by soft huffs of calm breath. Leaning down and cutting the distance between their lips, Jaebum could move a little closer and they’ll lock lips. 
 
    Then he heard it. Jaebum heard the loud thumping of his heart piercing through his ears. Snapping out of it, he quickly pulled away, moving further back with wide eyes and slamming a hand on his heaving chest. Swallowing down the lump in his throat, Jaebum looked at his confused best friend and whispered to himself, feeling awfully ashamed, “what the Hell am I doing….” 
 
    Youngjae no longer felt Jaebum’s presence near him and panicked. Stretching out his arms and waved them around. “Jaebum? Hey, this isn’t funny. Where are you?” He didn’t know what had happened, but he’s afraid to be alone. 
 
    “I-I-I’m he-here,” Jaebum advanced back towards Youngjae and grabbed his arm. “Right here, Jae-ah.” 
 
    Sighing in relief and putting his arms down, Youngjae gave a small smile, “if you wanted a hug, you could have just said so.” 
 
    “Wh-what?” 
 
    “You wanted to hug me, right?” Youngjae tilted his head to the side slightly, his empty eyes looking at nothing in particular, but they were facing Jaebum. 
 
    “I…” Jaebum couldn’t possibly told his innocent best friend that he wanted to try kissing him. “Yeah. It’s cold and I wanted a hug. Sorry.” 
 
    Youngjae reached out and pulled Jaebum forwards, pressing their bodies together. Wrapping his arms around Jaebum’s broad shoulders, Youngjae smiled. “Warmer now?” 
 
    Standing in shock for a few seconds, Jaebum wasn’t expecting himself to held his breath. They’ve hugged so many times. So why is this time any different? Slowly hugging Youngjae back, Jaebum relaxed. “Yeah, much warmer, much better. Thank you.” 
 
    Burying his face on Youngjae’s shoulder, Jaebum thought about what he was testing. He couldn’t quite pinpoint anything or put a label on whatever he was feeling. Nothing made any sense to Jaebum right now. Patting Youngjae’s back lightly, Jaebum didn’t wanted to press matters on any more than he already had. 
 
    “Maybe I’m just overthinking,” Jaebum said. 
 
    “Hmm?” 
 
    “I think I’m overthinking too much,” Jaebum repeated, not really in the mood to explain everything to Youngjae. 
 
    “You know,” Youngjae said, “you’re very confusing today. But yeah, I agree with you. You always overthinks, Jaebummie. It’s time to chill and look at things in a simple perspective rather than trying to complicate everything.”
 
    Chuckling, Jaebum pulled away first. He looked at Youngjae and swept his cold fingers over the latter’s eyelids, making them fluttering close at the contact. Jaebum’s heart skipped a beat. “You’re right. I shouldn’t complicate things. Maybe it’s just the heat of the moment and nothing else.” 
 
    Jaebum decided to ignore the excited beating of his heart and the warmth he felt when Youngjae smiled at him. Nothing good comes out of trying to make things harder than it is. It’s better to leave things the way it begins. 
 
    “I promise I’ll get a new bike today so you won’t have to walk so much, Jae-ah,” Jaebum ignored how easy and willingly that slipped out of his mouth. 
 
    “That would be great!” Youngjae clapped his hands together and grinned widely. “How about the ice cream?” 
 
    “Don’t worry about it,” Jaebum smiles back, “we’ll definitely go like I said.” 
 
    “You’re the best, Im Jaebum!”
 
    And Jaebum ignored the way butterflies were flapping their beautiful wings and flying frantically around in his stomach, giving him the feeling of a thousand blooming red roses.