Chapter 6: Darling Little kitten

Eomma J²

Hey guys! I finally finish the new chapter to this story! So sorry for going missing for too long. I was stuck in work and writer's block. I've got like, 6 drafts for this chapter but none are to my liking. Please frogive me for any mistake in the story. Its not proof read. Also, this chapter is kinda sentimental to me because the same thing happened to me a few months ago. Hopefully, you will enjoy this and don't forget to tell me what you think about it! Your support is a fuel for me to keep on writing~


Tear stung Jimin's eyes which usually  hold the beautiful crescent shape. His cheerful and bright demeanour fell apart for the day. His little heart just couldn't take it. There were reasons why he was the angel in his family. He's just so sensitive and emphatic. Not to mention that he's the biggest cat fan among his brothers. What lied before him was enough to make him cry.

Just this morning, the Kim family had found a little kitten inside the drain filled with water. It was Jin who found it first and decided to bring it up in fear that the carcass will rot and brought terrible odour. The poor thing didn't move as its corpse was brought onto the ground. It just stayed there, limp. Jimin had hold onto Taehyung's hand, trembling and scared for the safety of the kitten. Jin had left it there on their yard since it was still alive. He was going to bury it but he cant do that while the kitten was still alive. Its not that he don't want to bring the creature to the vet but he somehow knew that it won't survive.

It had been an hour yet Jimin still can't take his mind off the cat in their yard. He can't even focus on building the lego castle and beating Jungkook's bigger one. After sighing for the hundredths times, Jungkook looked up at his brother.

"Let's go out, Chim Chim hyung." He said suddenly and stood, bringing his puzzled brother along.

"What's wrong, Kookie? I thought you wanna play with the lego?" He asked innocently.

The youngest didn't say anything and just brought him out the door. They went towards the cat and crouched near it.

"Is it dead?" Jungkook asked as he poked the kitten with a grass. It was dirty from the drain water and eomma had warned them not to touch it. Jimin squinted his eyes as he focused on the kitten. A loud gasp escaped his plumb lips. "Kookie! Its still alive!" He said happily. He dreaded thinking the little feline would die.

"Its strong..." Jungkook commented.

Smiling softly, they kept on staring at the kitten. Suddenly, the younger crunched his nose in a disgusted manner and pointed a its body. "Eww! There's uh... There's something on it!"

Peering closer, Jimin could see some maggots moving between the damp black fur.

"Oh no! Poor kitty will be eaten by them! We need to save it!" Jimin pull off a grass blade and picked at the maggot so that it'll fall. But then, another came out and the boy took it off yet more caught his eyes. "What should we do... There are too many!"

His eyes started tearing again. Without warning, he lift the dirty kitten up, drain and maggots be damned, and ran to the faucet. He turned the silver knob and let a steady of water flow out before rinsing the kitten's body under it. The body was oily and it made Jimin frustrated because he really, really wanted the cat to be clean. Jungkook followed from behind, disgusted that the other touched the dirty cat just like that.

"Park Jimin! Jeon Jungkook! What are you two doing?!" They flinched at the voice, Jimin almost dropping the cat.

"I-I'm sorry eomma..." Jimin said softly and held the now soaking cat close. "But its not Kookie's fault! I just... There are these nasty things eating the kitty and I just wanna wash it..." He explained meekly, afraid of being scold.

Instead, he was met with a sigh and fond chuckle. "Aish... What to do... Our Chim Chim is too kind to leave it alone. Its okay. Eomma is not mad. Wait here." Patting his son's head, Jin went back inside. He came out a few minutes later with a bottle of shampoo and towel. Jimin's face up.

"Let's wash it, okay?" Jin gave the shampoo to Jungkook and smiled.

After a while, the kitten looked much better and smelt nicer after being washed with the shampoo. Jin gave his son the towel and let him wrapped it around the kitten to dry and wipe it.

Jimin hugged the kitten gently. "Its not moving... And its so cold..."

Jin just smiled and ruffled the boy's head. "Yeah... It'll get warmer later. I'll go inside for now. Take good care of it, yeah, Jiminie?" The said nodded eagerly and gazed at the kitten fondly.

***

"Kitty!" A high pitched voice yelleded from across the street. Hurried footsteps started towards the direction where Jimin is currently petting the little animal. The latter looked up and saw some of the neighbor's kids running towards him, all looked both interested and curious. Minghao was the one who arrived first and the last being the youngest Chan who tried his best to keep up with his brothers on his shorter, smaller legs.

Jimin felt a little uncomfortable but not because he's not used to the other children. Its just that the moment they arrived, they started to bombard him with questions which he didn't really mind. He just don't want the kitten to feel uncomfortable. Jungkook seemed to realize this and shushed them, finger on his lips as he gestured towards the still cat. They all nodded in understanding and focused on the creature, watching as the chest rose and fall. 

"What happen?" Mingyu asked with hushed voice after a moment of silence. All of them already formed a circle with the kitten on Jimin's lap. It almost seemed like they're about to form an occult ritual with the formation they're sitting in and the whispering.

Bringing the kitten closer, Jimin answered, "It was in the drain. Then eomma saved it. I wanna um... doctor it..." The others nodded again in unison. Even if they knew the right word to what Jimin tries to say, no one open their mouth. He just looked so sad and earnest that they don't want to ruin the moment.

Another half an hour passed with them only talking about the kitten while occasionally it as a show of support. Being the children they are, their attention started wavering and they started growing bored. Chan and Jungkook were first. Being the youngest in their respective family, they can't stand staying put for a long time since there are always something to do and someone to play with. Both got up and started to play tag. Jungkook was fast though and Dino was not which hardly made it a challenge for him. Seeing this, Jun and Minghao got up to join them.

"You'll see! I'm going to catch you all!" Jungkook said when he, once again lost his chance on grabbing Minghao's shirt. The others just laughed and tried their best not to run into him. It was a lighthearted playing session, with some harmless taunts and cry of either success or failure. Soon, everyone joined in minus for Jimin and Mingyu became 'it.' Jimin just stayed at the side of the lawn, a small smile on his face as he watched them play. Jungkook seemed so happy, he noticed. The youngest always was with the Yoon's children since their is much smaller. And they treat him more like a friend than pampering him like his family did. Its a nice thing. There is a little jealousy but he knew that Jungkook will always be their brother. Their family. A 'Kim' as his eomma said when they sometimes asked about their real family.

Shadow suddenly enveloped him and Jimin tore his gaze away from the kitten which had been twitching since a few minutes ago. One of the boys stood before him, blocking the sun ray. "How is it?" Minghao asked with his weird but cute Korean accent. Jimin distinctly remembered eomma Jeonghan saying that some of the kids are not native and Minghao is one of them, considering that his name is different from what he used to hear. He liked it when Minghao talked and was glad the boy came to him.  Jimin lift the clothe that covered its hairy, skinny feet and showed how it twitched every now and then. The kitten's breathing was getting louder too. "I don't know... Maybe its better? It starts moving..." The child said but he sounded unsure. He never had a pet cat and didn't know what is good or bad. But then, as long as the cat was still alive, he'll bet that its alright.

Running his finger on the kitten's head down to its small nose, Minghao could feel how cold its body was. But compared to before, it was considerably warmer. Maybe it does get better. "You are not bored?" He took a seat in front of Jimin, ignoring the gleeful cries of his brothers calling him and Jimin to join playing. The latter shrugged and pouted. "Dunno... I wanna play too but the kitty..."

"Hyung! Let's play together!" Jungkook called and waved at him. Bored of the tagging game, they settled on playing a different game. There were sticks arranged on the yard and they're trying to hit it using another stick. It seemed interesting and Jimin really wanted to join.

Taking the cat out of Jimin's laps, Minghao told him to go and let him take care of it. Hesitant, he did stood up and joined the others. Soon enough, he forgot all about the kitten and enjoyed his time. Just like that, they took turn caring for the kitten while the others went and play. It was in the afternoon that Jin came to them. "Kookie, Jiminie! Come in and have your lunches first!" The two obeyed although Jimin did use his charm to try and get the cat join them at the table. He wanted to try and feed it something, which Seokjin is against at but what could he really do when those round eyes and pouty lips directed towards him? 

***

They gathered again after the lunch hours, except this time, everyone was there except for the adults. The cat seemed to be doing well. It started drinking and eating a little, those fed by its self-proclaimed doctor. It even got its eyes opened and body moving to get more comfortable. Everyone seemed relieved and happy with the progress, Jimin especially. He had grown o fond of the weak kitten especially that cats are one of his favourite animal.

 It was all Mingyu's idea to name the kitten since it seemed to be doing well. There were low murmurings as they decided what's the most suitable name. There were a few nice suggestions like Cheonsa and Hime. Some are regular names from cartoons like Mickey, Donald, and Popeye. There are ridiculous ones too like Lunch, Ball, and Balloon. Since Jimin was the one who really took care of it, they decided he should be the one to choose the most preferable one.

"I know!" Jimin exclaimed, his voice filled with excitement. He's came up with a really nice name for the kitten. "Let's call it-"

Its whole body suddenly started to moved as if it was suffering a spasm. They didn't know what happened nor what to do. "What's happening?!" Jimin asked in panicThe group quickly turned into a mess. All of them were shocked with the sudden development. 

"B-but! It was fine just now!" Hoseok gasped. Even Yoongi, the one who's the most composed among them were shaken. He can't help but being scared. He was still too young to witness something like this and despite being cold, he loved Jimin a lot. He knew how this would affect their most sensitive brother.

They all took a quick step back when the cat suddenly peed while its whole body trembled. Only Jimin remained as the kitten was in his hands in the first place. He was lucky that they covered it in clothes or he would've been wet too.

Blinking his eyes, his mouth formed the 'o' shape. "O-oh... It just... It just wanna shoot..." He said almost in relieve. The kids started to calm down. Even Dino who can't help but cry seemed to stop crying at that. 

"You should... You should wash it." Yoongi mumbled when no one made a move, all still a bit shaken by what just happened.

"Y-yeah..." Came the soft reply.

They went to the tap and ran the water slowly before wetting the bottom part of the kitten. Jimin took off the clothe and dumped it near the tap. It was already dirty so he wanted to change it. Tae came running with a clean, dry towel which would make Jin really mad if he found out what the use it for. But, who cares, right? The kitty is more important.

There was a frown on Yoongi's face when he held the cat while Jimin prepared the towel to wrap it around the creature.

"Jimin ah..." He called softly, the name wavered on his lips. The boy stopped what he's doing and face his brother. The other's came closer too as they were curious what Yoongi was going to say.

"I think its... I think its gone." He sounded unsure as he hesitated around the words. But at the same time, he seemed so sure about the statement. Audible gasps spread around the small crowd. The young ones seemed not to get it and started asking what big brother Yoongi was talking about. No one explain anything.

Jimin seemed so broken. His hands become slack and the towel dropped onto the ground. Taehyung and Jungkook took both of his hands while Hoseok hugged him from behind. Somehow, Yoongi felt guilty.

"R-really...?" Jimin whispered. His lips trembled and eyes glassy. The eldest stared at his younger brother for a while before nodding.

A sob escaped from his mouth before he started to weep in sorrow. The crying spread and soon, more than half of the boys were sobbing and weeping along. This attracted Jin's attention as he quickly ran from inside the house, soup abandoned, towards his yard.

"Kim Yoongi! What happen?" He asked in panic. His eyes landed on the limp body of the kitten and  he quickly understand. "Oh... Poor little creature..." He shook his head and moved towards Yoongi. The child looked so pale, paler than he usually was. Patting his hair, the man took the dead kitten into his own hands. 

"Kids..." He called out. They all turned their attention to him reluctantly, eyes red and cheeks wet. Sighing, Jin tried his best to stay calm. He need to. He had to.

He was just about to say something, to tell them about how some things will go but then Jimin cut to the chase when he went forward and enveloped his caretaker in a tight hug. Jin quickly kneel down and collect the boy in his arms. 

"Minnie... Minnie..." He sounded so heartbroken as he tried to talk. "Jiminnie doctor it but then... Then..." The child can't finish his sentence when he broke into another sobbing fit.

"Hush, sunshine. You did good. Its just that... Its time for kitty to sleep now." He consoled the child softly, hand rubbing circled on his small back. 

"B-but-" Jimin wanted to argue but Jin shook his head and smiled.

"You care for it. I'm sure the kitty is happy having you as its friend."

***

It took a lot of effort to calm a group of fifteen boys from their trauma all while digging a hole for the burial and preparing a simple funeral for the kitten. Namjoon and Jeonghan came to help while Jisoo came over a bit later when it was almost over.

"I can't believe I agree to let Jimin take care of the cat..." Jin said regretfully when the funeral was over. "Now all of them are traumatized. I'm sorry, Jeonghan..."

The latter just gave a small smile. "Its not your fault. You just want to make him happy. No one could guess that the outcome will be like this.

"If they ever need counceling, just tell me. I'll pay." 

"No, hyung. Its okay. Sooner or later, they'll need to learn about this too. Don't blame yourself. Besides, i think they'll be fine. They got each other with them after all."

As if on cue, they turned to look at the kids who seemed to be holding on to each other. Even the reserve Yoongi won't leave Jimin's side.

"Yeah... They do..."


Also, notice the cover? I'm able to put one since I got a laptop now~ Its my sister's drawing. I know you won't read this but thank you, sissy~!