Chapter 4: Re:Party

Eomma J²

A/N: I know its late but here is a chapter dedicated to our beloved eomma Jin's birthday. I won't be able to update much after this since I'm going back to college. I'll try to update but don't expect it to be soon. Also, in the previous chapter, I've make a little mistake on the fact. Jihoon is youger than Soonyoung so I should've write the younger instead of the older. I'm sorry about that. Last but not least, I want to say that I'll still open any request for the upcoming chapter's ideas. You can be as creative and ridiculous as possible. I'll try to write it as long as its relateable to the story. Enough of that, I hope you'll enjoy this chapter! ^^


 

It was all fun and games until a voice belonged to non other Kim Seokjin echoed through every crook and nook of his beautiful house when he screamed at the horrifying sight before him. The kids, who were busy hopping up and down in the living room as they put up some decorations freeze at the sound, all visibly pale. Jimin, being the timid little lad he was, shied away behind Jungkook who was a few years younger than him.

 

"Who the f*** did this to my cake?!" Again, came the shouting followed by a crude word which the kids knew they shouldn't hear. Namjoon who was also there helping with the preparation quickly dropped the banner he was holding and rushed to the kitchen, partly to calm Jin down although mostly to make sure no more curse words escaped his mouth and land into the untainted ears of the innocent boys.

 

Jin never swore. Well, maybe he did; quite a lot, when he was with Namjoon but he always mind his manners in his children's present. To make him so cross like this to the point of yelling the word out loud, someone must have mess with is cooking.

 

It had been a long time since he knew the his handsome friend so it was no surprise to find that his hunch was right. There, before him stood Jin with wide eyes and parted lips, milky white skin flushed in a dashing shade of red. His huge brown orbs were black with rage, angered by the wrecked delicacy lying still near the table where it once stood in its pink glory. A mess it was, with the light-coloured cream smeared all over the floor, the stain must be a pain to remove, and the spongy cake peeping out from the coating it was covered by. Namjoon had braced himself for the worst, but even worse could not compare to the hell that about to break loose.

 

What is it with only a cake, one might asked. You could always buy another from the store. Yes, you could be angry that all your money was wasted but there's no need to be so angry, right? But that was never the case with Kim Seokjin. No. This was much, much more than that to him. The cake, the g****** ruined cake, was a symbol of his hard work. His pride and joy, as valuable as any of his kids. For the cake was a week worth of experiment, a week of going back and forth from his house to his neighbour's Yoon Jeongjan to get critics and advices, a week of trying to achieve the very perfect taste and perfect look, also a week of pain and sorrow hidden away from his little angels when the cake failed to achieve his desired image.

 

"I-I'll clean it up." Namjoon carefully said and bent down to take as much of the cake as he could to dump it into the garbage can. 

 

"Stop." 

 

For someone with a tough face and well-built body, it was comical when he flinched and stepped back, eyes locked to the ground while mouthing string of sorry. Somehow, he did not dare to look up at his friend whose face unamused. "I'll clean this up. You go and help the kids. Tell them nothing's wrong." 

 

"Pardon?" 

 

"Just. Go." 

 

Without another word, he obeyed and made his way to the living room. Tiny heads curiously peeked on them through the door to the kitchen, which Namjoon ushered back so that Jin won't get further annoyed by their innocent questions. It was unlikely but he's not taking the risk.

 

It was rather calm when they're all seated around the dining table, variety of scrumptious dish lining up, inviting. Jin didn't seemed so mad now. Namjoom couldn't help but worry. The other was not the type to let it pass easily when food is involved but here he is, sitting like nothing happened. Maybe he's just trying not to scare the kids off with his foul mood. Its supposed to be a happy day for him too. His birthday. One that he always look forward to every year.

 

"Why are you looking at me like that? Let's eat." The eldest asked while casually stuffing mouthful of meat into his mouth. The children followed, eating happily while chatting away. Jimin feeding some of his food to the eager Hoseok and Jungkook stealing from Taehyung's plate who just laughed and steal back from his brother's portion. Even the serious Yoongi showed his infamous gummy smile, happiness radiated from his pale face and small eyes. One look, and you'll never think that anything was wrong.

 

After they finished, the main event took place. Namjoon went to the kitchen along with emptied plates. All the way, he could hear the children squealing in glee, fidgeting in their seats as they can't wait to see the cake. Since it became a tradition for Jin to make a special cake for birthdays, there was always something to expect. He could also hear the eomma trying to calm everyone down. His voice lacked excitement, though and Namjoon knew that the incident already ruin the day for Jin.

 

There was a box on the kitchen counter. A medium sized box with splash of white and pink on it. The picture of heavenly-looking cake printed on top where the ribbon which tied the parcel ended. Jin must have ordered one while they were decorating the house. He put the dirty plates into the sink and opened the box. His breathe hitched, eyes widened. "No... Way..."

 

He already could foresee what would happen after this. And whatever it was, things were going to get ugly. But he could do nothing about it, nor think much further when his name was summoned from the dining room. "Namjoon-ah! What's taking you so long? Its here already isn't it?" Jin's asked about the cake which he quickly order after his own smashed on the hard floor. "Hyung! Hurry up!" "We want cake!" "Namjoom-hyung! Cake!" High pitched voices echoed right after.

 

"Ya! Be patient!" He shouted back. Taking the cake out of the box, he wondered if he should light up the candles. It seemed like a bad idea. Not with the cake looking like that. Praying to whatever God exist, he braced himself and carried the tray out.

 

The cheer died when he got closer to them, only gasps and surprised exclamation escaped the tiny mouths. Jimin and Jungkook looked up at their eomma with sympathetic eyes, feeling sad themselves while Jin just sat there, stone-faced, eyes didn't leave the disfigured pastry before him.

 

It was round, heavy white and cream cake decorating it. Small Mario figures on the surface where Jin's name was written in red cream. Or at least, that's how it was supposed to look like. Not with the icing came off from some part of the cake, showing off its content inside. Not with the figure lying on the surface, face deep in the cream. Not with the cake looked far from the shape it supposed to resemble.

 

Laughter erupted from the celebrated man, unamused and cold. Even his usually gentle face turned dark, the lights in his eyes gone. "Really... I wonder what happened. Maybe the delivery guy got chased by some dogs or something. Hahaha..." After saying that, he got up. 

 

"Eat with your hyung. Eomma will go to bed first..." No one dared to say anything. All they could do was nod and looked as the broad-shouldered figure disappear into his room.

 

***

 

Jin woke up with a massive headache. His eyes were hard to open. Maybe it was due to him crying last night. It was frustrating, really. But he can't show how he really felt in front of his child. He don't want to burden them with his own selfish feeling. Like it or not, he's still a adult. He can't think for himself only like when he was younger. 

 

He don't even have the time to get off the bed when the door to his room; which he swore was locked last night, flew open for five toddlers running in. They went to either side of his bed, beaming. "Happy birthday, eomma!" They said in unison. 

 

"Huh?" 

 

"Are you going to stay in bed only? Its your birthday! Let's enjoy it!" Someone said from the door. His gaze quickly went to the voice's owner. Namjoon.

 

"W-what?" He breathed out. His hazy mind unable to make sense of what was happening. His birthday? But that was last night! Is it just a dream, then?

 

Jin reached out and took his phone to check the date. 4 December, it said. His head felt like it was about to explode. What about last night? The cake and all? He can't be dreaming about it all, right? If not, why were his cheeks felt sticky with the tears? 

 

Worried glances were exchanged between the child before directed towards him.

 

"Eomma? Aren't you happy? Its your birthday today." Taehyung was the first to ask. 

 

"Huh...? Uh... I'm fine... Why don't you go out first? Eomma want to take a bath and change." He said, managing to keep his voice soft and level. They nodded with childish eagerness and rushed out. Jin threw a questioning look at his best friend who just gave a smile and closed the door, giving him some space.

 

The first thing he did was took out his phone and search for Namjoon's contact number. Opting for messaging, he typed away his questions.

 

'What was that? What happen? Is it really my birthday? I'm not dreaming, right?' Sent.

 

It took a whole minute before the other replied. 'Are you drunk? Hurry up and get here. I can't handle them alone.' No answer to his question at all. Boy, he just wanted to curse.

 

*** 

 

Doesn't matter how much they try to deny it, everything felt like a déjà vu. Like the place they're currently visiting right now. The zoo. It really felt like they've come here yesterday. But the way they acted proved the opposite.

 

"Why does it looks like you're not enjoying yourself?" Namjoon asked as he hand a cold drink and sat beside his friend. The children were busy looking at the animals so they were alone for now. "They're upset you know."

 

Jin let out the sigh he had been holding. "I don't know... Its just... I got this dream. That we celebrate my birthday but then things went wrong. It looked so real. And our outing today... Its felt like we've come here yesterday."

 

"You're thinking too much. Its your birthday. Enjoy it. They want you to be happy too. Let's just enjoy the day." Saying that, Namjoon stood up, grabbing Jin by his wrist and dragged him towards the squealing toddlers.

 

They were all tired after the visit to the zoo but that was not enough to dampen their spirit. The birthday boy especially, as he already abandoned the thoughts that had haunted him since he woke up. Besides, there was no way to explain why the day would repeat except that it was all just a stupid nightmare.

 

Once they were home, Jin was in for another surprise. The meal was already served, the steam rose up to the air, giving off sweet, delicious scent. Someone came out of the kitchen, blond hair pulled back in a ponytail and face flushed from the heat inside the kitchen.

 

"Jeonghan? W-what is this?" Jin stuttered, can't believe that his neighbor was there, preparing the meal for his birthday. And they have known each other for quite some times for him to know that the other prefer not wasting his energy with something tiring. 

 

"Oh, hyung! You're back! Hope you don't mind me using the kitchen. Don't worry. Your kitchen is not ruined. We've got professionals handling it."

 

"Ah... Okay...? Wait. We?" 

 

Namjoon put his hand on his friend's shoulder with a smug smile. "I bet you're surprised. I call for the catering team to prepare something and Jeonghan here is watching over them."

 

"Yeah. Well, the team has already left so there's only me now. Its time for me to go too. Happy birthday, Jin. And the presents from the kids is on the table in the living room. I'm sure you've seen it." Jeonghan talked non-stop as he put the plates onto the table and gave them a smile before walking past them.

 

"You owe me one." The long-haired male whispered to Namjoon as he passed and went out.

 

"Namjoon? I don't understand." Jin turned to the higher guy, staring at him, demanding for explanation. 

 

"Uh... Let's eat first! You must be starving!" It was clear that he was trying to evade the topic and ushered the little boys to their seat. 

 

They finished eating and waited for the next event which was the cake. Of course, Namjoon was the one who got up to get it with dirty platters in his hand to put in the sink. A pink coloured pink stood proud on the table, circle-shaped and two storeys high. There were small white and red flowers decorating the edge and drawing of Jin's favourite Mario character drawn on the surface.

 

'He did a good job, indeed...' 

 

The candle was lit up, a pair of numbers put together to form the number 24, which was Jin's current age. The children went to Namjoon and started to sing together. 

 

"Happy birthday to you~ Happy birthday to you~ Happy birthday to eomma Jin~ Happy birthday to you ~" 

 

They all clapped their hands when the song was over. Jin, as always, couldn't help his tear from falling whenever they sing the birthday song for him. Still with the tears on his cheeks, he made a wish before blowing the candle. Then, he took the knife and cut the top piece into a few pieces of the same size for each of his children and a bigger one for Namjoon and himself. They all laughed when Jungkook got the cream all over his face as he ate, Taehyung chasing Jimin to out some on his face and Yoongi trying to avoid the mess. Hoseok laughed the hardest and went to help Jimin by smearing some on Taehyung, which cause the latter to change his target. Jin decided that it was alright to let them have fun and even join in too as he poked his friend's face with finger full of creams. It would be hard to get the stain off the wall and carpet later but seeing the happy faces made it all worth it.

 

***

 

It was not until a week that Kim Seokjin learnt the truth. He had thought it was weird that there was a hole in his memory regarding the day after his birthday. It was supposed to be 5 December but the screen of his phone showed 6 instead. He tried to think that he was probably just confused until Jeonghan spilled the beans.

 

"Oh? You didn't realize it yet?" Was the pretty boy's casual reaction at the older guy's ignorant.

 

"What do you mean?" He asked back.

 

"Its true that someone... Or something, I don't know, ruin your cake and put you in a bad mood. Its not just a dream. Namjoon asked for my help to bake the exact same cake. He wanted you to think that what happened was just a nightmare. I don't think it really work but looks like it did. Its getting late. I need to cook now. You can ask Namjoon for the details. Bye, hyung~"

 

It was safe to say that Jin was really shook by the fact that he was completely fooled and had his best friend paid for it.