Chapter 3: Helping Hands

Eomma J²

A/N: Thank you for subsscribing! Just wanna say sorry if my writing is terrible. I literally write all chapters using my phone so I'm really lazy to check for mistakes. One more thing, if you want me to write any scene, please let me know in the comment. Love yall and enjoy~


 

Jeonghan had hoped that he could sleep longer after the festivity the day before. He was still exhausted. His body hurt all over especially his arms and legs which didn't stop moving until he was on his bed. The thought of having to clean up the mess from the party made him even lazier. Seungcheol and Joshua had helped him clean up but there was not much they could do that late at night. He would love to call them again today but they must be tired too. It was selfish if he asked them for him. Besides, they have their own life to manage too. No matter how much people pointed it out, he was not the centre of their story. At least, that was what he believe.

 

"A few more minutes... Hours perhaps...?" He mumbled as he looked at the digital clock. He had woke up earlier than he expected, which was just two minutes before the alarm supposed to ring. It was expected as his biological clock was set like that. If he wanted to care for those children well, he need to sacrifice his so much adored sleep time. If not, he might ended up leaving ten starving tummies just to fulfill his needs. A responsibility he knew he had to accept the moment he started taking care of them.

 

Just as he just drift off to dreamland, the blasted alarm clock rang mercilessly, shaking up the whole room and no other than his eardrum. Jeonghan woke up wide-eyed and startled, his heart erratic at the supposed to be expected sound. He let out a groan as his hand reached to stop the alarm. It felt heavy though and his joints hurt. Not only that, his head felt like someone hammering inside, messing with his brain.

 

"Eomma... Are you awake...?" He heard the door creak and someone asked as tiny footstep walked towards his bed. He only mustered a hum and watched as Jihoon went to the clock and shut it down. The boy's curious eyes than glanced at his eomma before the little hand stretched to touch Jeonghan's own. A gasp escaped his thin lips as his small eyes widened. "You're hot... Are you having a fever?" The boy asked softly and climbed the bed. He situated himself at the lying male's side before bumping their forehead together gently. "You're unwell!" 

 

Jeonghan quickly pushed little Jihoon and turned to cough when his dry throat felt itchy. His trachea burned so he tried to stop coughing, which made it sound terrible to the six years old's dismay.

 

"I'm sorry, Sunshine. But don't get too close or you'll catch my virus..." His voice was hoarse and weak as he spoke. Jeonghan pushed himself up, his whole body aching although he tried not to show it. A smile carved on his pale face to show the worried child that he was alright. "Do me a favour and wake your brothers up. Eomma gonna take a shower and make you breakfast." Jihoon seemed hesitant at first but he silently nodded and got off the bed before running out.

 

Jeonghan pushed the covers away, the cold wind greeted him immediately when he did. How he would love to get back into the warm blankets but he's got mouths to feed. It was hard to walk at first what with his dizzy head and tired legs but he manage somehow. He went to the dresser and looked at his refection on the body-length mirror. He strongly resembled a zombie he usually saw in the movies what with his disheveled hair and those huge eye bags which stood contrast to his skin which was as white as a sheet of paper. His body was shivering visibly and his eyes were bloodshot. Trying to ignore the less than angelic appearance he had, he quickly dug up through his pile of unfolded clothe and pull out decent ones.

 

The shower was as good as a torture. He forgot to turn the heater on and with his sensitive skin, every drop of water felt like knives cutting through his flesh. He bit back the groan and quickly turned the shower off, which was not quick enough considering his really weak arm. He hastily got out of the damp, cool bathroom and dried himself before putting on the warm clothes he had chose just now. There were creases on them but he could hardly care. He need to prepare some food for his children, fast.

 

That morning was a little different it usually was. Less noisy and less active. Maybe it was because they were all still tired although he knew that wasn't the case. Jihoon must have told them about him being unwell and made the the others behave. Despite being so young, he was really dependable.

 

"Eomma! Are you really unwell?" Seungkwan took his hand and ask the first thing when he saw his eomma. Jeonghan smiled although he knew the child won't be able to see it through his mask. He's not going to risk infecting his child after all. Chan also made his was to him. the youngest cling to one of his skinny leg, trying to say something with his limited vocabulary. "Eomma... Eomma... Don't sick..." He whispered cutely and looked at the taller male from under his bangs.

 

Jeonghan couldn't help but feeling touched by their concern. Sure they are a handful most of the time but it was the love he received in return that made him cope with it all. Crouching, he brought the two into a brief hug and kissed their heads with the mask as the boundary. They winced at how his body burned, which they quickly point out.

 

"Don't worry, baby. Eomma's fine. Just don't go and cause trouble for me today, okay?" The two nodded a little too enthusiastically.

 

"Promise?" He asked, putting up his two hands, all finger curled down but the pinkies as they sprung up. Seungkwan and Chan linked theirs with him, while saying "Promise/pwomish!" In unison.

 

It was not long before the other kids found him there with the two and surround him, all wishing him to get well soon.

 

"We made something for you!" Mingyu announced, Soonyoung and Vernon nodded as they chirm in about how they helped too. A feeling of worry quickly took over the only adult. They excitedly took his hand and brought him to the kitchen.

 

It was not a sight to behold. In fact, it was really bad that Jeonghan felt like he could pass out then and there. He knew they only wanted to help but making their new kitchen looking like Katrina tornado had just pass through it made him unable to feel thankful. Or so he thought until he saw the sandwiches on the dining table; which was the only place squeaky clean, ready to be eaten. Sure, most of his plates were broken, flour all over the floor and cabinets, unrecognizable traces of goo found its way on the kitchen sink along with other things he tried to overlook along with a weird sickly sweet mixed with pungent smell polluting the air but they saved him the time to prepare for breakfast. At least that was something.

 

After giving them stern warning not to set their feet inside the kitchen until all the mess were cleaned, they started eating. Jeonghan cringed at the weird taste of the sandwich. There were peanut butter and jelly along with some chocolate jam but there were traces of bitterness and salty in it. Maybe it was due to his wrecked taste bud but when he separate the two thin breads to reveal what cause it to taste like that, Jeonghan had to stop himself from hitting his head on the desk. He was pretty sure that it was Soonyoung's idea and Vernon just get along with it since Mingyu was smart enough to know what salt and coffee powder would do to the sandwich. Regardless, he just ate it in silence because the other's seemed to be okay with it although Wonwoo and Jihoon had a deep frown on their head after the first bite.

 

Although there were too many kids, having them at a really close age actually made things easier for eomma Jeonghan. They all had someone to play with and despite being the only three year old, Chan was dotted by his brothers courtesy of being the youngest. The pretty male decided he should clean up the kitchen first as he don't want any of his kids to be cut by the broken shards of shattered porcelain plate. It took a toll on him, though, as his head throbbed even worst that it felt like his skull going to split. The world started to look fuzzy and blurry. His stomach were doing flip flop and hurt so much, he had to bend forward, his hands touching the painful area. Cold sweat covered his body like a thin film before the world out on him.

 


 

"Hoseok-ah! Be careful! You'll fall!" Jin shouted from the kitchen. He was busy doing the dishes after they had their meal. He don't need to see to know how Hoseok jumped around, trying to dance with the cartoons on the children's show on television. That child was always the most hyper among them, with Yoongi being the exact opposite as the latter just lied on the couch, reading something.

 

It was when Jin just finished his washing that the door bell rang. He could tell something happened by the way the visitor kept on pushing pushing the button and knocked on the door. There were faint noise asking for help, ones that belonged to children. He instantly felt worried, the crease on his forehead proved it.

 

The door was opened to reveal Soonyoung and Jihoon, one was a crying mess while the latter had tears in his eyes but able to compose himself if not for his trembling body. "Eomma. Please help eomma!" The oldest said, begging while looking up at their neighbour, visibly shaken by the sight of their caretaker suddenly fell, face flushed, lips white and breathing erratic. The male quickly nodded and told Yoongi to take care of his brothers as he hurriedly followed the two children home.

 

It was as if someone had found a dead body as the rest of the kids gathred around Jeonghan, tears falling like endless stream. Seokmin even shook the unconscious body, calling his eomma to wake up and don't leave them. There were even some of them fearing that the God of death came and took away their beloved guardian's life.

 

Seokjin didn't waste his time, scared that things would get worse if he did. The kids moved to spare space for him to examine his new neighbour. He put his hand on the male's forehead only to pull back at the heat. He had a high fever. Which made him more wary.

 

Using his strength, the handsome guy scooped the blond up, carrying him in princess style. Jihoon led him to Jeonghan's room where he put the long haired male onto the bed. He didn't talk much as nursing the other was his priority now. He exited the room and came back with a bowl of cold water and wet towel which he use to reduce the temperature due to the fever. The other male kept on groaning and , feeling uncomfortable at the chilly sensation but then oldest ignored it. Meanwhile, his mind ran, all the while pitying his pretty neighbour. It must have been hard to move into a new house with ten children in tow. What more, his child are still too young and needed full attention. Summed up with him holding the party at such a close date, it finally took a toll on his body. Jin understood how he must felt, to be so young and bear such responsibilities. It was rather foolish but he was also the same. They're hopeless against their maternal instinct.

 


 

The traces of daylight was long gone, only darkness enveloped mother earth at that hour. Outside, it was as silent as grave. Even the crickets refused to sing as if understanding the gloomy situation in Jeon Jeonghan's household. Everyone was gathered around the dining table for dinner including Jin's five kids. He had no choice but to bring them over if he was to look after the others. Despite the large number, none of them said a word. Not even from Seungkwan who was usually the mood maker and not even from the hyperactive Hoseok. The ten children were worried and the other five seemed to understand. It was a good thing because the last thing he wanted was a brawl between them due to insensitivity.

 

"Come one. Eat more. Your eomma will be sad to see you like this." The only adult said when they barely touched their food. Some quickly eat, small bite at a time but the rest still stubbornly pushed the plates away. There was nothing he could do about that. He's not in the position to scold them. And its not their fault to lose their appetite.

 

After finishing their meal, Jin cleaned the table. The kids went to the living room to play. He was glad that they get along with each other despite his child being older. He absolutely loved looking at Jihoon and Yoongi. They really looked like siblings with their small stature, cute faces and behaviours which betray their angelic appearance.

 

Thinking that it was okay to leave them alone, Jin made his way up the stairs to the room, Seokmin and Jun at his tail as they insisted on coming. Jeonghan was already awake when he got in, probably just did considering his confused face. "Eomma! You're awake!" The two toddlers exclaimed excitedly and tackled the blond, giggling despite having tears in their huge orbs. The beautiful guardian chuckled and welcomed them in his arms warmly.

 

Jin could not help but smile at the scene before him. It was sweet how they were so happy to see that their eomma was fine.

 

"Thank you." The pretty said and looked up at his neighbour. "And I'm sorry for the trouble." 

 

"Its nothing, really. We're neighbours after all." The other replied kindly.

 

Jeonghan nodded, then looked down sadly. "You must think that I'm such a lousy guardian. I made my children worried and made you come all the way here..." Jin shook his head and touched his shoulder.

 

"No. I just thought what a great mother you are to push yourself like that for the sake of your children."

 

The pretty guy looked up, their eyes met. Jin seemed sincere enough. "Thanks... Really..." Jeonghan choked on his tears and instantly averted his gaze in embarrassment.

 

They talked for quite some time, the two child had already fallen asleep on either of their eomma's lap. 

 

"So... Why didn't you bring me yo the hospital?" The house owner asked curiously.

 

"Well, you begged me not to. Besides, I understand how it felt to leave them behind." Jeonghan could not be more thankful for that. Jin was really understanding, even more so than the housewives. Was it pure luck that they got to meet each other? That was what he'd like to believe.

 

"Its getting late. I'll take my leave now. You don't have to see me out. Rest." Seokjin bid his farewell and got back to his own house after everything was back to normal.