Chapter 2: Meeting

Eomma J²

Jeonghan walked quickly, pass the table filled with empty plates and paper cups which were neatly arranged, a container in his hands. He had been going around since morning, making sure all the cutleries and wares were enough and working well. He also need to cook some side dishes since there was no way he's only serving the barbeque to his future guests. It was hell tiring considering his low stamina and usually lazy attitude. He was lucky that the children were really obedient or he's sure he'll turn crazy by now.

 

"Thanks for helping, Seungcheol. I'll never be able to finish preparing if its not for you." The long-haired guy said as he leaned against the kitchen counter after putting the container down, smiling in gratitude at his friend who was busy cleaning the kitchen.

 

"What about me?" Another voice asked as a guy with shiny eyes and cat-like lips went into the kitchen. 

 

"Of course, thanks to you too, Joshua." Jeonghan turned to him, flashing his unique big smile which showed his perfect, pearly teeth. Both of his friends seemed to beam in delight at the gratitude he showed. It was always this way with the three of them. They would help Jeonghan and practically consider the smile to be the most precious gift they could gain. 

 

"So... Thirty more minutes before the party. I'll be the first to cook. Then Joshua. You just go on and talk to your neighbours." Seungcheol said as he put the broom away after he finish sweeping the floor. "But, really. You should've just use catering service instead." He continued, earning a sigh from his pretty friend. 

 

"I wish I could. But buying this house already cost me so much. Hiring them will only hurt my account. You know I can't have that when I need to feed those children too." Jeonghan said, sighing. Joshua went to his side leaned against the counter too, his eyes looking at the male. "You know you can count on us if anything happen. We'll be ready to help whenever." He sounded so sincere that it was really touching for the young eomma. 

 

"Thanks, really. But you guys have help so much. And you never question me when I take them in although I can barely take care of myself."

 

Seungcheol chuckled and pat the other, making his already messy hair messier. "Because we know how soft you can be." Jeonghan was about to say something back when he heard a commotion from the living room. Looks like Seungkwan and Hoshi are at it again. They're both so hyper that sometimes it could drag to a petty argument. "Looks like that's my call." He excuse himself, leaving the two to tend to his child.

 

Seungkwan and Hoshi were still bickering even when Jeonghan already step into the living room. The others did nothing but watch or ignore them as they played with their own toys. Only Vernon and Seokmin tried to calm them down although the latter only manage to cry most of the time.

 

"Didn't I tell you to behave?" He wasted no time in asking. 

 

"But-" "No buts. If you love me, stop arguing now and make up." Jeonghan was quick to cut them off, his voice screamed authority. And as usual, no one could say no to their eomma. Not especially when he looked so tired and worn out from preparing for the party. 

 

"Sorry..." The two boys said in unison, Hoshi looked down to the floor while Seungkwan drew random shapes on the floor with his ties. Seokmin already hang on to his eomma's jeans, hiccuping after crying too much. "Hush, baby. Your brothers already make up. You can stop crying now." Jeonghan said with a gentle voice and pat the toddler's head. He just nodded while sniffling, trying to stop crying.

 

"Eomma! You should change. The guests can't see you like this." Small hands suddenly grabbed his and pulled him towards the staircase to his room. Another pair of hands grabbed his free one. "We'll help you change! So that our eomma will look the best!" Jeonghan had no choice but to follow the two while laughing at their antics. "Ya! Wonwoo, Vernon! You're going to take my hands off!" He said playfully. The other kids also laughed along as they follow the trio upstairs.

 

Standing at the kitchen entrance, Seungcheol and Joshua just watched as the event unfold before them, both with a fond smile carved on their handsome face. "He's really good with them, huh?" The taller of the two commented. "Yeah. Well, he is their mom." Joshua nodded in agreement.

 

***

 

It was still too early for him to really rest. After going through the horror of having his clothes littered around by his two little stylist, and finally find the right ones; a pair of new jeans and white shirt, the first doorbell rang. Without even recovering from the terrible mess, he was pushed downstairs by his 10 children to get the door. A pair of old couple greeted him warmly and gave him their present before being led to the backyard where the party was held.

 

Jeonghan was actually nervous and scared. Nervous because he was a little awkward around new people being the usually silent type. Scared that the neighbours won't even show up, or maybe just a few did which would be humiliating, or having totally no control over his child who then crash the party. Maybe Joshua realized it by the way he bit his nails and helped him greatly using his gentlemanly charm to capture the guest's heart.

 

Honestly, if he was a single man with no tiny human around his feet, he won't even hold this party. Heck, he won't even buy this big of a house in the neighbourhood where all of the residents are married people who led a family life together. He had to do this because considering that he's got so many kids to handle, he would need help from them from time to time.

 

They were shocked to know that he's actually single, and that those ten little humans he got was legally adopted, just the way he expected it. Although, its more like they are shocked about the quantity, not the fact that he was willing to spend his youth looking after them. It made him wonder too although it quickly slipped his mind when his guests kept on drowning him with questions.

 

He thought that everybody was already there although he could hear some of the guests whispering about a he haven't arrive yet. Jeonghan was busy pretending that he listened to what a middle-aged woman said; something about his successful son and beautiful daughter which he had no interest in, when the doorbell rang. Taking that as an excuse to stop her babbling, he went to the front door to greet his late guest.

 

When the door was opened, 5 children ran pass him and went to the backyard, ignoring the yelling from their supposed to be guardian who then apologized for his kid's rude behaviour.

 

For Jeonghan, it was the first time he had met someone as handsome as the person standing before him. His face was perfect, with those round eyes just the right distance from the sharp nose which situated right in the middle and those full plump lips which seemed so soft and velvety. Oh no, its not like he had fall in love at first sight with this stranger. He was just simply mesmerized by the perfectly proportioned face.

 

In Jin's eyes however, it felt like it was the first time he ever met someone so close to his image of an angel. With shoulder-levelled, blond hair and a smile which showed the two rows of perfect, white teeth, the person before him seemed to be glowing. He knew that he, himself is very good looking but buy was still appalled by the beauty before him. This neighbour is more beautiful than most girls he ever sat his eyes on.

 

Jin cleared his throat while Jeonghan scratched the back of his neck as both averted their eyes after staring at each other for quite some times, appreciating the masterpiece before them. Jin was the first to snap out of it though as he held his hand forward. "Kim Seokjin. I live just across the street."

 

Taking the offered hand into his own, he then introduced himself. "Yoon Jeonghan. Nice to meet you, Mr Kim." Jin chuckled and shook his head. "Jin is enough. We are going to see each other a lot so let's be friendly." The long-haired male just nodded in agreement. "Then, you can call me Jeonghan. Come on in." He then invited the, who he presumed, older guy to join the party.

 

It was just the way it should be when people gathered like this, chatters, laughter in the air and smell of smoke mingled with cooked meats, sausages and vegetables. Seemed like almost everyone attended the party, which was no surprise since the neighbours are actually good people. Besides, who won't come when there is food, right? Its a great reason not to cook dinner and save some budget as well as energy.

 

"How do you like the neighbourhood so far?" Jin asked, a paper in hand, his watchful eyes searched for his boys in the crowd, which was quite hard considering there were too many kids running around, most whom he didn't recognize. 'Are they his...?' 

 

Jeonghan nodded to show he's fine with it and hummed as he thought why. "I think this is the best place I've found yet. Its near to the convenient store and the train station. And thank God the kindergarten and primary school is not far from each other. Also, the nursery is just down the road. This is like, a paradise for family with kids, don't you think so?"

 

Jin nodded in agreement. "So, they are yours...?" He asked, gesturing towards Mingyu, Seokmin, Minghao and Jun who were playing tag. Jun was it by the way he chased after his brothers, maybe selected because he was one year older than the rest. It was funny seeing the frustrated look on the 6 years old face as he tried to evade the taller adults as he was in pursuit of his younger siblings.

 

A chuckle escaped from the mouth of the young eomma as he looked at their antics lovingly. "Yeah. All adopted." The blond answered, adding to avoid any misunderstanding. There were times people thought that he often went around and have unprotected s** that he was left with many bas*****. 

 

"Oh? How many of them?"

 

"Ten."

 

It was rather ugly when Jin spitted his drink after hearing the figure, something he tried to avoid as he's not going to ruin his handsomeness but he just couldn't help himself. Ten! For goodness sake! He had a really hard time handling 5 kids let alone twice as much! He just stared at Jeonghan, eyes wide in disbelief.

 

The beautiful male just laughed lightly, his hand covering his mouth in a gentle manner. "Here." He offered some tissue for his guest to wipe his mouth with. "But I see you've got some of your own too. I heard them talking about someone who is in the similar situation as me. I guess that person is you."

 

"Yeah. Five.. Adopted. Glad that I'm not the only one who 'waste' their young age with children." They both laugh at that, feeling somewhat relieved and glad to know each other.

 

"Looks like you've met Jin! How wonderful! And to love just across each other. I'm sure you two will make a lovely friend." Someone interrupted, the same woman who babbled about her daughter and son just now. Others quickly joined in, forming a small group as they chatted around, their topic focused on the two single 'mothers'. 

 

All Jin and Jeonghan could do was smile and nodded as the guests excites themselves with the rare yet interesting situation.

 

***

 

Lucky for Jeonghan that putting the kids to sleep was not as hard as it always did since the boys were exhausted after playing all evening. Although Soonyoung who always with the most stamina did made his already existing headache to throb further.

 

"Jeonghan. We'll be going now." Joshua said to his friend as he and Seungcheol was ready to leave.

 

"Thanks you guys. I don't think I can made this without you two." The blond said with gratitude, pulling them both into a brief hug.

 

"We'll always be here for you, you know that. Don't hesitate to call us if anything happen." Seungcheol reminded when they part.

 

"Yeah, yeah. Of course." The three of them took a moment to smile at each other before saying their goodbyes. Jeonghan closed the door silently and finally prepared himself for bed, not before saving the number of the neighbour who seemed to be the most understanding.