Pt. 9

Keep You Safe

Keeping your distance wasn’t exactly easy nor was it ideal. Between the hours you spend together at school as ‘classmates and friends’ and the times you accompany him outside and in official business schedules, it was simply impossible to do. Seungcheol wasn’t helping either.

After making your resolve to not let your feelings and emotions get tangled with work, it was obvious that Seungcheol himself was making an effort to get closer.

You shifted in your seat, glancing around the neighborhood view in confusion. “Seungcheol? You’re next schedule isn’t until at least two hours later. Why are we already here?”

“I have another schedule.”

“What?” You pulled out your phone and checked your memos. 6pm. End of class. 8pm. Meeting at Gangnam. You scrolled through it, reading and rereading your notes. Nothing. “Secretary Seo didn’t give me the wrong schedule didn’t he?”

“No. Just outdated,” he smiles.

“Really?” You tuck your phone back in your pocket. “Why wasn’t I informed? What schedule is it and with who?”

He took a knowing glance at you and smiled. “You’ll see.”

The car finally slowed near a huge looking building and inside an underground parking. You followed as Seungcheol got out, walking towards the elevator.

“Okay. Why are we at the mall? Do you need to buy something again?”

“Y/n please. Just follow me. Okay?”

 

“Seungcheol,” you started, a frown forming on your face as your eyes wandered from the well-lit signs and marquees and to the mass of people in the area. “What are we doing here?”

“We’re gonna watch a movie!” he beams at you.

You sighed. “Shouldn’t you be preparing for your meeting later? Seungcheol, you don’t have time for this.“

“Y/n, I’ve been working hard nonstop. We could leave before it ends. Besides, we’re just 15 minutes away from the meeting place. Let me just rest.”

“Then you should’ve rested at home instead.”

“Where’s the fun in that? Come on. I’ve already bought us seats,” he said, showing you his phone.

“No.”

You watched as the smile on his face slowly dissolve into a frown only to be replaced by a suspicious smile instantly. “Fine. I’ll watch by myself.” He started walking away slowly, taking swift glances back at you. “Just me, myself and I. Alone. Unattended. Unchaperoned. Without protection. An easy target –”

“Alright! I get it. I’ll go with you.”

You caught a glimpse of his little victory cheer before closing your eyes in frustration with yourself. Since when did he know the right words to use on you?

Thanks to Seungcheol picking seats at a corner, it was easy for you to check and secure the place. “Alright. Everything’s clear so just relax. We’ll be going in an hour, okay?”

For the first few minutes of the movie, Seungcheol was so excited and chatty that he was able to attract a couple of people glaring your way. But as the movie went on, you noticed that he gradually stopped talking and finally became quiet. You took a curious glance at him only to find him sleeping so soundly, as if the surround sound in the cinema doesn’t exist at all.

Your eyes were fixed on him, noting the look of slight discomfort on his face and the steady rising and falling of his chest. It’s been a while since you’ve actually looked at him and you can’t help but notice a big difference from what you usually see. His dark circles have reappeared, the bags under his eyes getting more visible with every night he had to stay up for business related schedules. It’s already been a busy week due to school but with the addition of his big project on his already packed schedules, there was little time for him to rest.

You sighed. Seungcheol wasn’t the type to lean on someone else and talk to them about his troubles but you wished he would. He’s always worked hard silently, not complaining about anything, always putting his very best.

You glanced at your watch and saw that it was almost time. You looked back at him again, a relaxed expression now on his face. You felt a pang of guilt as you shook him lightly, small protests and grunts escaping from him. He needed to rest but you knew that this meeting was important too. After a few more seconds, he finally woke up, stretching slightly, his eyes still half-closed.

“We have to go,” you whispered.

He nodded silently, standing after you as you led him out of the softly lit cinema. You walked in silence towards the parking area and into the car, debriefing him shortly about the upcoming meeting. He listened quietly, his eyes shut again.

You sighed. At least the worst will be over by tomorrow. He’ll be free from all the stress soon.

 

The warmth of the lobby embraced you as soon as you stepped into the building and out of the freezing night. You walked in with Seungcheol right beside you towards the massive doors just in front of the main entrance. Before it were a couple of people, one of them being one of the event manager of the building, the other being the coordinator of the whole project and the last two being Mingyu and Wonwoo.

“You’re here,” Seungcheol steps forward, shaking Mingyu’s hand. “I didn’t think you’ll be here early.” He turned to Wonwoo and nodded at him in acknowledgment.

Mingyu laughed. “We just got here too but it’s a good thing, right? The earlier we start, the earlier we go home. The event coordinator was just updating us about the status of the venue.”

“Shall we go in?” The manager opened the door to the well-lit exhibit hall, guiding everyone inside. The huge room was filled with stands, mini stages, chairs and tables, and a couple of workers bringing in more equipment. “As requested, this will be the VIP area, for the press, and for the public,” she points at different directions.

The small tour went on smoothly with Seungcheol and Mingyu going through their checklists and programs, noting about a few changes and improvements on the setup, testing out the screen walls and other LCD displays. Tomorrow afternoon, they will be announcing the launch of their new products to the public. Of course, everything needed to be perfect.

“Are the team ready for tomorrow’s security?” Wonwoo asked, standing beside you as you both watched the other two do their own things.

“They should be. Seungkwan will be their lead,” you smiled. “He knows how to handle them. Although I’d much rather he stayed to look after you know who.”

Wonwoo nodded. “Junyeong huh? Did he finally say anything?”

“Nothing useful. He keeps on threatening us that Tiger will come save him and finish us. I say go. It’s what we want anyway.”

You heard him scoff, muttering something under his breath. You glanced at him and saw the intensity in his eyes before he seemed to snap back to reality and relaxed, shaking his head.

“Anyway,” Wonwoo cocked his head towards Seungcheol’s direction, “are you two alright?”

You blinked. “What do you mean?”

“I don’t know. Something’s off from you and him tonight,” he shrugs. "Did you guys fight or something?”

You narrowed your eyes at him and folded your arms. “How do you do that?”

“What?”

“How do you always know everything?”

Wonwoo smiled. “I have my ways.” He looked back at them who were now seated together at one of the tables deep in discussion. “Or I’m just really good at guessing. You’re pretty easy to read you know, knowing you for years.”

You sighed. Was it that obvious? “Well, we didn’t exactly fought. I was just having too many thoughts lately.”

“Mhmm.”

“I feel like I haven’t been doing my job properly. I guess it’s because of the huge difference with my usual work nature. But…I can’t use that as an excuse, can I?” You straightened up as if cementing your resolve physically. “I have to do better and focus more on my job. I can’t get distracted anymore.”

Wonwoo frowned but didn’t say anything else.

The ingress lasted for another half an hour with a short rehearsal before they decided that they were satisfied with everything. “Lastly, the products will be delivered tomorrow morning. We’ll be sending you the list of workers that will be delivering them tomorrow,” Mingyu said, wrapping up the meeting.

“It’s been a fun time.” Seungcheol said, shaking hands with Mingyu. “I’m looking forward to more projects with you.”

“You know I feel the same,” he smiles. "I’m really glad I get to do this project with you, hyung.”

“By the way,” Wonwoo whispered. “Things are still the same in the headquarters, right?”

You turned to him, a bit confused with what he meant. “I guess? There really wasn’t time for change. We were quite busy you know?“

Wonwoo smiled and nodded, escorting Mingyu out after they said their goodbyes.

You glanced at Seungcheol who was admiring the whole venue, a fervent look in his eyes. “It’s finally here. It’s finally happening.”

“You did great.”

Seungcheol turned to you and smiled. “Thank you for being with me all this time. You’ve helped me in so many ways than you’ll ever know.”

You shook your head, your smile disappearing. “I was just doing my job.”

“Y/n…” Seungcheol frowned, grabbing your hand and held it in his, his eyes searching yours. “Did you really think I wouldn’t notice?”

“Seungcheol.” You tried pulling your hand away which only made him hold it tighter.

“Y/n, I know what you’re doing. Why are you tiptoeing around me? This isn’t about me and that recent incident is it?”

“That’s just it.” You looked back at him and met his eyes, feeling every emotion you’ve been trying to bury for the past few days resurfacing just from those words. “The recent one. And the one before that. And the other incident. Can’t you see? I was hired to protect you, to keep you safe. But lately, there has been so many things happening. And I can’t afford to be distracted if I want you safe from harm.” You felt a sting in your eyes, blinking back the tears that were threatening to form. You can’t crumble now. You can’t turn weak again.

“Hey,” Seungcheol leaned in, trying to meet your eyes, only for you to look away. “You put your everything in your work and I know that. But sometimes, things won’t go our way. Things just happen. And I get that while I’m important to you, this case that you’ve been working on for so long is also important.”

He cupped your face gently in his hands, your eyes finally meeting his. "It’s difficult but we just have to go through it together.”

Somehow, hearing those words and his sincerity felt like that burden was lifted from your shoulders. Not entirely, but you knew that this time, you weren’t fighting this battle alone anymore and you felt thankful. Since day one, he’s always been there, always understanding you and reaching out to you.

He took your hand gently this time as if it were something fragile and smiled softly. "Together. Okay?”

You smiled, finally allowing yourself to hold his hand back. “Together.”


Afternoon the next day, things were pretty hectic. You arrived at the venue with Seungcheol early for their last rehearsal. Seungkwan, along with his team, was also present for the briefing of the staff and security. With the amount of guests attending, especially with the VIPs, security level was up in high alert.

Mingyu and Wonwoo arrived shortly, signaling the start of the rehearsal. Things went rather smoothly and without delay. Eventually, it was time for the people to arrive and for the event to start.

“And now, we would like to call in Mr. Choi Seungcheol to give the opening remarks.”

You watched as Seungcheol got up from his seat and went up the stage. He took a glance at the crowd, his eyes briefly meeting yours as he waited for the applause to die down. “Good morning. Thank you so much for making time to attend today’s event.”

“Wow. It’s almost as if you’re still part of the team.”

You turned to see Seungkwan standing next to you, looking coolly and posing like he always does during assignments. He was wearing the badge that you used to wear when you were team lead, realizing what he meant.

You grinned and pushed him playfully. “I still am part of the team. I’m just on a different assignment.”

Seungkwan smiled back and glanced at the crowd, giving orders and asking for updates here and there.

“You know, I think you’ll do well as permanent team lead.”

“What? No. I’m just filling in,” he answers shyly.

“Seungkwan, I’m saying you’re qualified for this position. More than qualified. I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re up for promotion any time soon. And I wouldn’t mind handing it to you.”

Seungkwan smiled at the compliment when a voice spoke in his earpiece, his expression immediately changing. “What do you mean there was an inside attack? What happened to Chief Park? Get over here!”

“What was that?” you asked, hoping that you heard it wrong, a heavy feeling forming in your gut.

“Someone called in saying some of the detainees at headquarters escaped including Junyeong.”

“Seungkwan what about my dad??”

Seungcheol turned to your direction, noting the look of alarm on your face.

An agent arrived and explained everything. There was a distress call from headquarters saying that a few detainees caused trouble before their escape and there was a mark that was undoubtedly Tiger’s. In an attempt to stop them, your dad got injured but he insists that it was just a graze from a gunshot and that he didn’t want others fussing about him instead.

“We need everyone we can get to chase after them. Chief’s orders,” the agent said.

“Y/n, what’s happening?”

You turned and saw Seungcheol right in front of you, worry clear on his face. You shook your head and tried shooing him away. “Don’t worry. It’s nothing.”

Seungcheol studied you and saw how pale you were, your hands visibly trembling.

“I can only spare 2 others besides me. A lot of these guys aren’t experienced enough yet. I need someone else,” Seungkwan mused before turning to you. “Y/n.”

Your eyes widened, realizing what he meant. “Seungkwan, no…I can’t.”

“I know but…” This time, Seungkwan got a call directly from headquarters from how it sounded. It seemed like there were other agents that got injured and they were able to recapture a few detainees but there were still a big number of them out there.

“Y/n,” Seungcheol turned you to face him. “Go.”

“No! You’re my priority now. I told you didn’t I?”

“And I told you that I understand. I know how important this is to you too. Catching Tiger now is more important. Things are much wilder there. They need you. It’s okay. I’m okay.”

“Is everything alright? Some people are looking.” Your eyes went past Seungcheol and saw Wonwoo walking towards you.

“See? Wonwoo’s here,” Seungcheol pointed at him, “and we’re almost done. I’ll be fine.” His hands gripped your shoulders tight, his eyes locked on yours. “I trust you. Do you trust me?”

Your gaze went from Wonwoo to Seungcheol. You didn’t want to leave him; not again. But they needed you. Your father needs you too. You nodded but stood still. What now?

Seungcheol pursed his lips before pulling you into a hug. “Be back safe okay?”

“…I will.” You pulled away from him, your heart feeling heavy as you let go. You promised not to leave him again but right now, you had no choice.

“Go!”

You nodded and went away with Seungkwan, leaving Seungcheol and Wonwoo watching you from afar.

 

“Pull up every surveillance camera inside the building and in the whole grid! Alert the police force and set out BOLOs! We don’t know what these guys are going to do but we need to get them before they get someone else!”

It was pure chaos. Some chairs and tables got overturned, papers scattered everywhere, and as ugly as it is, there were a few bruised agents slumped here and there.

You went to your locker and grabbed your gear and met Seungkwan out as he gave orders to the team, each covering different blocks while you two got the 4th one.

You ran, scouring every street, alley, and building. Nothing. Radio updates keep on ringing on how they either found no one or found them injured somewhere. A few more minutes of running passed and you finally found yourself in the same situation and by sheer luck, it happened to be Junyeong.

You found him limping in an alley, his hand over his left arm with blood dripping down his hand. “Freeze!”

You watched him scoff, turning slowly and found yourself looking at his bruised face, his clothes visibly dirtied with blood. Though he escaped for the second time, he sure went through a lot just to be captured again that you almost pitied him. Almost.

“Whaddaya want?” He smirked. “Gunna kill me? I’m already dead!!”

You took a swift glance at Seungkwan who stood beside you. He nodded. You trained your gun down slowly and placed it back in your holster, lifting your hands up to show that you weren’t armed, Seungkwan doing the same thing.

“Aren’t you tired of this Junyeong? Getting caught, escaping, getting injured…just to be caught again? Give up already.”

He looked at you and smiled. “Then what? Turn good? Bull!” He stepped forward, his eyes still glaring at you. “Just kill me already,” he growled.

You shook your head. “Oh, don’t tempt me.”

“Just surrender Junyeong. Tiger won’t be able to help you this time.”

His eyes shifted to Seungkwan, staring at him like he would kill him there and then. “I know,” he chuckled. “I know. He told me that this was my last job. That he had no need of me after this.” He laughed, looking more and more deranged. “So go ahead. Kill me. I’ve done my last job anyway.”

“What do you mean? Speak!”

He grinned and set his eyes on you once again. “How’s your dear Choi Seungcheol doing?” he laughed before pulling out a gun and pointed it at you.

BANG!

You watched as Junyeong dropped on his knees, clutching his leg. Seungkwan ran towards him and grabbed his gun, cuffing his hands behind him. “You’re not going to just die and not repent for your sins Junyeong.”

Seungcheol….You grabbed your phone and dialed Seungcheol’s number but to no avail. Getting antsy, you dialed Wonwoo’s number instead and thankfully, he answered immediately.

“Y/n! I heard –”

"Wonwoo! Is everything alright there?? Where’s Seungcheol? Why isn’t he answering?”

“Don’t worry. He’s just taking a rest. What’s going on??”

“Tiger is after him! I need you to get him into safety!”

“Alright! Meet us at Apgujeong. I’ll send you the address.”

“I’ll be there as soon as I can.”

Wonwoo raised an eyebrow and placed the phone down. He looked over at Seungcheol who was seated at the back. “Well, I didn’t think it would be that easy. Thank you so much for helping me.”

Seungcheol glared at Wonwoo, his teeth clenched together in anger despite the taste of blood and the nasty bruise on his lips. “What do you want, Tiger?”

Wonwoo turned back at the road and smiled. “You’ll see. But first, you need to sleep.”

Seungcheol dodged the hand that tried grabbing him, attempting to headbutt the guy seated next to him but missed. An arm circled his neck into a headlock, leaving him no chance of fighting back. Then the strong smell of ammonia came, his body and his eyes feeling heavy instantly with everything going black as the last thing he saw.