Pt. 8

Keep You Safe

You glanced at Junyeong who was in the police car and to Wonwoo who just finished speaking with someone. After Wonwoo showed up, you phoned the headquarters to send some people to pick Junyeong up. As expected, his mouth was shut. He wouldn’t answer any of your questions and you felt like it was happening all over again. It was like when you first caught him. Still, you were determined to get the truth from him. You even offered him protection in exchange for information. But he just smiled at you as if you were telling him a joke.

“Wonwoo, what are you doing here?”

“I was on my way home from work.”

“Work? You mean…”

He smiles, taking a glance at Seungcheol. “Mingyu. Yes. He had a late appointment today.” He glanced at Junyeong, studying his face. “So he’s the one I’ve been hearing about? The accomplice of Tiger?”

“Yes. We all thought he was dead. Clearly, he’s not. Which is why,” you turned to Seungcheol, “I’d have to go with them to the headquarters.”

Seungcheol started to speak but seemed like he changed his mind. He smiled. “Of course. I understand.”

“If you’d like, I’d go with him in your place. Just to be sure,” he offered.

“Of course. Thank you, Wonwoo.”

Wonwoo nodded and started walking to Seungcheol’s car where his driver had been waiting. You glanced at Seungcheol sadly. Again, his life was put in danger because of you. You shouldn’t have thought twice between not letting Junyeong go and securing Seungcheol’s safety first. No. You shouldn’t have gone after Junyeong and left him alone in the first place. Seungcheol’s your top priority now and you just broke protocol. If it wasn’t for Wonwoo, who knows what could’ve happened?

“Seungcheol, I’m –”

“Y/n,” he shook his head. “I should’ve listened. I’m sorry.”

“What?”

“Well, I just thought…I don’t know…I wasn’t thinking. I just ran after you. And because of that, you almost lost him. And I know how important this is for you. It’s my fault.”

You closed your eyes and shook your head. How can someone be as understanding as him? Even before, when you two just met, he never left and continued trying to be friends with you even when you were treating him coldly. Such a weird person. “You should really learn to listen to me though.”

Seungcheol looked down, his gaze fixed on his hands. “I know.”

Looking at him, he seemed like a child being scolded that you can’t help but smile. “Hey,” you placed a hand on his shoulder, “It just turned out that way. I was acting on my own too. So I should be saying sorry too. Don’t blame yourself. Okay?”

He looked up, a small smile on his lips and nodded.

“Right. I just need to see things through until we get him back to headquarters and make sure he doesn’t get away this time then I’m done.” You walked him to the car and opened the door for him. “For now, listen to Wonwoo. Don’t do anything reckless. Alright?” you scanned him, looking for any injuries he might’ve gotten during the chase. “You’re not hurt are you?”

“No. I’m fine.” He glanced at you and smiled. “Be careful, okay?”

Indeed. What a strange person he is. “You be careful,” you smiled.

He got in the car followed by Wonwoo, an eyebrow raised and a small knowing smile on his lips, pointing at you and Seungcheol. “I’ll make sure he arrives home safely,” he says in an exaggerated tone.

You rolled your eyes and waved him off as he got in and closed the door. You waited as the car pulled away and rode off to the darkness before turning back and walking towards the car where Junyeong is. “Back to business.”

 

The silent hum of the air condition and the occasional passing of vehicles filled the silence inside the car. Wonwoo, who was seated in the backseat with Seungcheol, was staring outside the window, watching the scenery change from busy neighborhoods to a much more private setting. Beside him was Seungcheol, his eyes busy taking glances at Wonwoo.

There’s just something about him, he thought. And the look of awe that you had when you saw him tonight? It was the same look you had when you saw him again when he arrived with Mingyu: a look of pure admiration or quite possibly attraction. Whatever it is, Seungcheol didn’t like it.

Wonwoo smiled, knowing full well that Seungcheol has been studying him ever since he got in the car. He did the same thing when they met during his meeting with Mingyu, making him a truly interesting and amusing person. Finally, he turned to face Seungcheol. “We meet again,” he smiles coolly.

“Yes.” Seungcheol replied promptly.

“I haven’t fully introduced myself yet,” he said, offering a hand towards Seungcheol. “My name is Jeon Wonwoo. I’ve trained with Y/N for a few years until I moved away after graduation. Oh and Seungkwan,” he adds. “You do know Seungkwan right? He and Y/N are my closest friends in the academy.”

Seungcheol took his hand and shook it, his lips pursed in a strained smile. “Yes. I’ve met him before. More than once actually.” Only twice to be specific but he doesn’t know that, he thought.

Wonwoo nodded, settling back in his seat.

Seungcheol eyed him once more before settling back himself. He hoped to know more about this Wonwoo person but there was nothing to talk about.

The car finally slowed to a stop in front of Seungcheol’s house. They got out and stood in front of the house for a moment, with Wonwoo admiring its grandeur. “It’s a really big house.”

Seungcheol looked up, studying it as well and shrugged. “Too big. I mean, it’s just me and my dad.” He glanced at Wonwoo and saw a look of concentration on his face. He followed his gaze and saw that he was looking at the room upstairs; Wonwoo was looking at his room. He frowned. “Is everything alright?”

Wonwoo smiled, looking back at him. “It’s nothing. I just…miss my old home.”

“Oh.”

“Well. I guess I should go now. Uh, would you mind if I asked for a lift?”

“Oh. Sure.” Seungcheol turned to the driver. “Can you please give him a ride home?”

“Ah. I’m fine.” Wonwoo answered. “I just need a lift to the nearest bus station. Your house is kinda far from the main road. Oh and Seungcheol-ssi?”

“Yes?”

Wonwoo smiles. “It was a lucky thing I was there to save you both. But you should be more careful next time.” Wonwoo bowed and went in the car, leaving Seungcheol standing in front of his house. And as he watched the car drive away, Seungcheol had to admit something: he really doesn’t like this Wonwoo guy and it’s not just because of your history with him. There’s really something off with him.

Seungcheol walked in and up to his room, pulling his phone out, searching for your name in his contacts. Are you still at the office? How are things going? Are you alright? There were a lot of things he wanted to ask and things he wanted to say, things that he has been thinking – feeling – for a while now. But he knew he had to wait. Right now, there’s a more important thing that’s going on; things that are really important for you. He could wait until tomorrow. It’s not like you were going anywhere, he thought.

He placed his phone down and climbed to bed. Tomorrow, you’ll be back with him again.

 

You glanced at your watch. It was 1:42 am. Despite being active all day, your burning curiosity and growing anger is enough to keep you awake. He might have had it easy and escaped before but not this time. Sliding your arms from the cool steel table, you slouched back on the chair, your eyes practically digging into this guy’s soul. You studied his face, determined to see anything, determined to make him crack. But all he did was sit there, looking back at you with a laxed smile.

After he was caught, Junyeong just went with it. He came in quietly and without any resistance which was the complete opposite of what he was trying earlier and from what you expected. You thought for sure that he would be a little more discouraged – defeated even. After all, he was supposed to be in hiding; he was supposed to be dead. Instead, he sat there, looking smug and proud and you can’t help but feel unnerved by that.

You sighed. He clearly isn’t talking any time soon. It really wasn’t a problem since they usually don’t talk until later on. But a lot of things have happened recently and you just can’t help but feel agitated with his silence. You looked back at the glass wall separating you from the observation room.

“Alright. That’s enough. We’ll try again later,” came a voice in your earpiece.

You nodded and stood up, taking one last look at Junyeong. “I hope you’re fine with bunk beds,” you smile. You started walking towards the door when you heard him laugh quietly.

“Oh boy. You’re all dumb ain’t ‘cha?”

You looked back at him, your anger level spiking again.

Junyeong shook his head and sighed, his face suddenly turning dead serious. “He’s ain’t letting this go.” He shifted from his seat, now fully facing you. He smiles. “He’s gon’ come after ya.”

“Y/n. He’s playing you. We’ll take it from here,” again the voice spoke in your earpiece.

You looked him in the eye, your whole being holding yourself from punching the living daylights out of him. In just one night, this person right here created so much trouble for you and Seungcheol and it was all because of Tiger. Who cares then? If catching Junyeong means luring in Tiger, then isn’t that great? You’d be much obliged to face him when he does come for you. “I’ll clear my schedule for him.”

You walked out of the room while two others went in to get Junyeong. You met Seungkwan outside as you plopped on your chair, exhaustion catching up to you.

“He’s irritating, isn’t he?” Seungkwan asked. “Wouldn’t want to question him again. He stresses me out,” he shakes his head.

You smiled. Count on Seungkwan to make things lighter and make you feel better.

“Aren’t you going home yet?” he asks.

“No. I’m going to make sure he’s staying and still breathing until we get something useful from him.”

“Oh. Okay. What about Seungcheol? You were with him weren’t you?”

You nodded thoughtfully. It’s been an hour since you saw him leave with Wonwoo but he hasn’t contacted you yet. Did he get home fine? Was he okay? Although he acted cool earlier, you knew him well enough to know that he’s probably reflecting right now. That’s just the type of person he is. But it wasn’t entirely his fault, is it? How many times has he been in danger now because of your carelessness? “He’s fine,” you said, absent-mindedly fiddling with your phone. “He’s probably sleeping by now.”

Seungkwan studied you more before nodding. “Well,” he got up, packing his things, “I’ll be going home now. If you need me, just call, okay?” he placed a hand on your shoulder.

You nodded and watched as he leave the office. You looked around. The place was almost empty. It reminded you of how you used to camp out here and spent the night investigating. You got up and got a tiny pillow from your locker and set up camp on the sofa in the monitoring room. It might be a little too much but you can’t be too sure. And for the next few hours, you spent the night keeping an eye on everything, trying your hardest not to fall asleep.

 

What seemed like a few minutes passed by when you bolted up, realizing that you dozed off. You quickly looked at the cameras for Junyeong and sighed in relief when you saw him still in his cell. You calmed down, grabbing your phone to see what time it was. It was nearly 7 AM and you had some time to prepare for school. You looked around and realized that you had a blanket draped over you, confused as to where it came from. Well, one of the staff probably saw you in your pitiful state (you were basically crashing at work like a homeless person) and was thoughtful enough to give you a blanket. You smiled at the gesture and sat up when the door opened.

“Oh. You’re awake.”

“Wonwoo!” Your eyes widened in surprise, wondering why he was here so early in the morning.

“I figured you’ll be here,” he smiles, closing the door. He grabbed the chair from a table and sat facing you. “Keeping an eye on him, huh?”

“What are you doing here?”

He shrugged. “I had time. I have to leave later though. And I was involved last night so I thought I should report it. You okay?”

You laughed, shaking your head. “I can’t believe you. I just can’t.” You smiled. Wonwoo is that friend with tons of surprises. When you first met him, he was a really shy boy. He used to practice and train quietly by himself until you approached him and befriended him. As it turns out, he was actually very goofy. Sometimes, he’ll say things in random and would make jokes that are so lame that it’s actually funny. It doubled when you two met Seungkwan and you three just became the loudest bunch in your batch. Of course, you three were also very hardworking and so no one really bothered about your antics. And it was also a surprise when he announced that he will be going abroad after graduation by himself. He said that he wanted to improve himself and learn more and that there was this opportunity given to him. He just couldn’t let it pass. It was one of the reasons you liked him. Then he left and now, he’s back. You met again thanks to Mingyu and with the given situation now, it feels like he’s back home. “Yes. I’m fine.”

Wonwoo smiled and stood up. “Great. Cause I ordered breakfast. You’re not skipping work are you? I hear you’re also an undercover in Seungcheol’s school.”

“Of course I’m not skipping,” you stood up and walked after him out of the room. “I’ll be going later. Just have to finish some stuff and clean up.”

While having breakfast, people started coming in and soon enough, the office was busy again. There were tons of calls going on, and lots of people going in and out.

“Wow. This feels very nostalgic,” Wonwoo said, his eyes taking in everything.

“Yeah, well… ”

Just then, your dad came in. He was walking straight to his office when he turned and saw you two. “Jeon Wonwoo! Is that you?” He smiled widely, walking towards him and shook his hand. “Wow.” He studied Wonwoo and nodded. “You’ve grown up well, son.”

Wonwoo bowed. “It’s very nice to see you again sir.”

“What brings you here?”

Wonwoo took a glance at you as if he was asking for your help, making the chief look at you as well.

“Y/n?”

“Well, you’ve heard about what happened last night. Wonwoo came here to report in as well. He…he was the reason why we got Junyeong.” For some reason, after the words came out of your mouth, you can’t help but look down in shame. Once again, you felt like things would’ve gone bad because you couldn’t make up your mind that night.

“Y/n,” Wonwoo looked at you before turning to the chief. “It was actually her that got hold of Junyeong, sir. I was just lucky to be near the area.”

The chief looked at him solemnly before smiling though it seemed a bit strained. “Very well. Just hand me a copy of your reports. Yes Wonwoo. I need yours too no matter how brief it is.” He turned to you and sighed. “Y/n. I saw the notice last night. It’s a good thing that you caught Junyeong. But need I remind you that that’s not your priority now?”

You looked at him and immediately regretted it, seeing disappointment in his eyes.

“It’s a good thing that you and Seungcheol didn’t get hurt. But you have to focus more,” he placed a hand on your shoulder, “you know that, right?” He studied you a bit more before he left and walked into his office.

Wonwoo turned to you and smiled awkwardly. “Well, I have to go now. I’ll visit again next time.”

You smiled sadly at him and watched him leave. You glanced at your watch. Classes already started. You sighed. For someone working as a bodyguard, you were doing a pretty sloppy job. You have to work harder. For Seungcheol’s sake.

 

Seungcheol glanced around the classroom and looked at his watch. That was odd. You were never late. Just then, Joshua came in. “Hey Josh! Have you seen Y/n?”

“No. Shouldn’t I be the one to ask you?” he smiles.

“What? Why?”

Joshua rolled his eyes and sat on your desk facing Seungcheol. “Please. It’s so obvious. Especially with me and Jeonghan. It was weird seeing you stick to her all the time before but we kinda understand why.”

The bell rang.

Joshua smiled and patted Seungcheol’s shoulder. “We’ll support you.”

First period already passed and you still weren’t in school. Seungcheol kept on glancing at your seat. What happened? He pulled out his phone and started dialing your number when you came in the room. Seungcheol stood up and smiled. “Y/n!”

You pursed your lips before giving him a little smile and walked directly to your seat.

He leaned over and studied your face. “Hey. What’s up? You missed classes. Well, you didn’t miss a lot because Mr. Park just kept on droning about business history and all that stuff and – ”

“Seungcheol, I’m fine. I’ve talked to the teachers after getting here.”

He leaned back and stared at you in confusion. Although you didn’t seemed angry, you looked like you didn’t want to talk and Seungcheol can’t help but think that it had something to do with what happened last night.

Second period immediately started, giving Seungcheol no time to ask you anything else which you were thankful for. A lot of things are currently going on in your mind and you just needed a breather from everything; a distraction. In this case, it’s school. Classes went on as usual and without complications. During lunch, Seungcheol tried asking you again but thanks to Jeonghan and Joshua’s interruption, he didn’t get to do so. It wasn’t until classes were over when he had a clear chance. But instead, you found him sleeping soundly with his head down on his desk.

You stood in front of him and frowned. “Seungcheol.” Nothing. “Seungcheol.” Still nothing. You sighed. “Seungcheol,” you shook him lightly. “Seungcheol get up.”

Just then, his hand grabbed hold of yours and held it tight.

Flustered, you tried pulling your hand from his but he held it even more firmly. “Seungcheol please. Your driver is waiting.” Why is he being like this?

He looked up, his eyes filled with questions and sadness, searching yours for answers. Maybe he was just imagining things. Maybe you were just tired. But he needs to know. “Y/n…do you hate me? Have I done something wrong?”

Your eyes met his and immediately felt every resolve you had earlier melting away. You studied his face, feeling a painful fondness for him. His eyes that were always full of emotions that you would immediately be able tell how he was feeling at that moment was now full of sadness. His lips that you’ve always seen giving off contagious smiles had no trace of happiness in them. And now, that look of longing that he was giving you. Why now? Why him?

You finally looked away, your heart starting to feel heavy, afraid that he might see through you if you gazed at him any longer. You can’t get distracted and let your feelings control you anymore. Being with him was fun and made you feel normal. Being with him, you felt like it was all real and that everything in this current life you’re living in is real. But you’re not here to live a normal life of someone your age. You’re not there to be his friend or anything more. You’re here to protect him, to keep him safe. But recently, you’ve done nothing but keep your guard down and let your feelings control you, fooling yourself that everything was okay. A life of a normal person? With normal friends and days where your only enemies are school work? A life of going to school and having fun with friends afterwards? A normal life with him? Who were you kidding? It was never meant to be like that. Nothing like that. And you knew you needed to stop pretending. You need to wake up. Now that Tiger has made it clear that he’s after you and the people around you, you can’t drag him into this any longer. Getting involved with him any further means Tiger can and will use him. You can’t let that happen. You need to keep him safe even if it means letting him go.

You gazed at his hand still holding yours, a sad smile on your lips. If only things were a bit different… You looked at him once more, trying to tell him everything that you won’t be able to tell him anymore. You shook your head, slowly pulling your hand away from his and smiled. “Let’s go.”