Pt. 4

Keep You Safe

“Good morning Y/N!”

You turned around to see an excited Seungcheol running towards you, waving his bag up and down.

“Hey!” he placed his arm around your shoulders, smiling widely, walking with you to class.

You eyed him, confused with how he’s acting. “What are you doing?”

“I’m walking to class with you.” This time, he smiled so much, even his eyes were smiling.

“You’re planning some type of revenge aren’t you?” You said, pushing his arm away.

“Eyyyyy. I thought about it last night and I really didn’t see any reason why I should get mad at you. Like you said, you were acting on orders.” Seungcheol leaned away only to nudge you on the shoulder, smiling the stupid smile he always had. “I’m cool like that.”

If you had a penny every time you thought he was just like a kid, you would’ve had enough to buy yourself something nice. You shook your head, leaving Seungcheol outside the room. Well, at least you had one less thing to think about.

You actually thought a lot about the difference it would make now that he knew. But you thought it would be harder because of how he reacted yesterday. Clearly, it was the opposite.

“By the way,” Seungcheol walked towards his seat and sat on his desk facing you, “Do you watch me during lunch time too?”

Your eyes widened, surveying the room to see if anyone was listening to your conversation. “Yeah I do and while we’re at it, why don’t you just declare to the whole school that I’m your bodyguard??”

Seungcheol held his hands up in mock surrender, looking around the room. “Geez. You’re being cranky again.” he laughed, leaning in closer. “So do you?”

“Yes. Why?”

“Nothing.” He smiled, taking his seat as the teacher entered the room, silencing the class.

 

You sighed, staring at your food and turned to the guy beside you. “You really do what you want, huh?”

Seungcheol smiled, taking a sip of his juice. “I thought it’d be a nice change of pace.”

It was lunch time and Seungcheol opted to have lunch in the rooftop. “This way, no one can know what we’re talking about” is what he said. You watched as he shook 2 large lunchboxes to mix and gave one to you.

“So. About my questions…”

You put up a hand and continued mixing your lunch. “Food first. Questions later.”

Seungcheol grinned and did the same.

The two of you ate in silence, taking your time. If you were going to talk about the heavy stuff, might as well get some food in your stomach. Besides, the first half of class was so draining that you found yourself longing for the dreaded physical exercises in the academy, which was saying something considering that it wasn’t exactly your favorite thing about the academy.

Seungcheol placed his lunchbox down as he ate his last bite before looking at you expectantly.

You caught his eye and sighed, putting your lunchbox down. “Alright. Let’s start with that guy from yesterday. Well, I’ve got everything I asked them to take from the scene when I got back. Blood samples, tissue samples, fingerprints, any information that was present and could be salvaged. I’ve also asked our intel to look up the surveillance cameras in the area for the man.”

“And?”

“And it seems like you have nothing to worry about. Course, he’s been in our database for previous crimes of theft like I thought. He probably thought that you’re a rich kid and you’re his ticket to being rich himself. We already put up a BOLO on him for the cops so don’t worry.”

Seungcheol sighed. “But why now?”

“Was there any time when you felt like something’s wrong? Like someone’s following you or anything weird at all?”

“Oh you mean besides you?” he smirks.

You glared. “Choi Seungcheol.”

Seungcheol smiled, leaning forward to trace a short line with his finger on the side of your forehead, just above your eyebrow. “You’ve got the cutest wrinkle on your forehead whenever you’re being serious. I shall call that your thinky face.”

What was that even supposed to mean? “Seungcheol,” you said, waving his finger away from your face, “this is serious.”

Seungcheol sighed and thought for a second. “Yeah. I think there were a couple of times before. Mostly after class.”

You nodded. Based on the statement of the guards at school and his driver, there were a couple of times when a bunch of suspicious people appeared. No surprise there. “My theory is,” you your spoon clean, “the media caught hold of information on you inheriting your dad’s company on your birthday and somehow, the bad guys are now after you like moths attracted to a flame.”

You glanced at Seungcheol who looked like he was deep in thought. Surely, it’s still a shock for him how everything is happening at once. After all, he’s trying to live normally like any other kid his age.

“…so…” he started, brows creased together, “you think…I’m hot?” he smirked.

Your jaw dropped open at his statement, your eyes wide in disbelief. “That is waaay off! From all the words that came out from my mouth, I’m pretty sure none of them implied that.”

Seungcheol scooted over, his face leaning weirdly close to you. “Pretty sure?”

You rolled your eyes, pushing his face away from yours. “You’re weird. You literally just had your life in danger, found out that I’m here to watch over you and yet you’re acting like it’s the most normal thing that could happen.”

“Well, like you said,” he sat back, “they’re like moths attracted to flame. And I’m the flaming hot flame.” He smiled contently before sighing, his expression turning serious. “I’d just have to get used to it and prepare for it. Maybe even enjoy it if I can. I mean, what’s the point of being worried about things I can’t control, right?”

He watched you finish your food before asking another question. “So you really think that’s what happened?”

“You know, for someone who’s the future CEO of Choi Industries, you’re so not updated.” You pulled out your phone, searching for something on the internet and showed an article to him. “It’s all over the internet.”

Seungcheol reached for your phone and saw a picture of him speaking in a public event in school. The article was mainly about doubts of him running the company effectively though. Assumptions on his capabilities and the picture. That was his contribution for the recent news. Everything else was about how the company is doing fine. “I simply don’t care, that’s why.” He said, handing you back your phone.

“You don’t?”

“My dad and I don’t really get along. Same with his business. If you’d ask me, I’d rather be a professional athlete or something.”

“Well you looked like you were an inseparable pair.” You said sarcastically.

Seungcheol rubbed the back of his neck, smiling shyly. “Yeah, sorry you had to see that.”

You studied his face, waiting for more but it seemed like he didn’t want to talk about it. The playful mood he had also seemed to disappear. “I’d like to apologize too.”

Seungcheol looked up. “What?”

“I wanted to apologize for being unprofessional.” You shrugged seeing his confused expression. “Actually, I was mad at you. Wrongfully, I know. I was so invested in my previous assignment that I got mad for being pulled into this.”

Seungcheol sat quietly, chewing on his lower lip.

“But as it turns out, babysitting you wasn’t such a bad thing after all. Of course I miss the action. But if it means you’re safe, then I’m fine with it.” You looked up and met his eyes. “I promise. I’ll do whatever I can to protect you.”

Seungcheol nodded. “I know you will.”

“Well,” you clapped your hands together, “does that mean we got this whole thing behind us now? We’re good?”

“I guess? I mean, I’m still kind of lost here. I did just had my first attempted-kidnapping experience yesterday and found out that my new classmate was actually my bodyguard.”

“Well technically, I am a special agent but yes you can call me your bodyguard.” You smirked.

“A special agent?” his eyes widened. “So are you like a spy or something? Do you always travel and beat up the bad guys?”

You chuckled. There it was: the reaction that you expected. Just like an innocent kid. “I wish that was all. But no. We’re just like the police, but with bigger scale cases like Tiger’s. We have more paperwork than cases, really.”

“Who’s Tiger?”

“You don’t know? Well I suppose you wouldn’t. He hasn’t really been making any noise until recently. He’s one of our cold cases,” you said, taking a drink of your water. “Probably the oldest one we have.”

“What’s a cold case?”

“It’s basically a long running investigation that hasn’t been solved yet. For Tiger’s case, we’ve been following him for almost 2 years now.” You paused, the image of the burning house and the corpse forming back in your mind. “I can’t really tell you much but I can tell you that that person is dangerous. Best not get involved.”

Seungcheol studied your face. Not like earlier, it went back to being really serious, he could almost feel how dangerous your life actually is.

“That’s why it would be so much help for me if you would inform me whenever you go somewhere else besides school. All that I got is your class schedule and you’ve been going out a lot lately after school.”

Seungcheol stood up and dusted the back of his pants. He watched as you do the same and nodded. “I will.”

You smiled and nodded back. “Let’s go.”

 

The following days passed with no trouble at all. The man who tried to kidnap Seungcheol was caught, there wasn’t much homework, and Seungcheol and his sometimes-too-friendly-friends Jeonghan and Joshua had been easier to deal with. You might even consider them as friends at this point with the amount of time you all spent hanging outside school. It mostly meant listening to their stories from the past and watching their weird antics though. Still, it was nice of them how they just welcomed you in their circle with no questions asked.

Aside from tests, school was fun too, opposite to how most of your classmates view it. It was nice learning something new and completely harmless like business statistics and anthropology compared with the seriousness of learning about criminals and convicted murderers, and all sorts of unpleasantness. You just can’t help but realize how different life would’ve been if you’ve never chose the path you’re on now.

If only Seungcheol would stop telling you every time he had to go somewhere that was just a few feet away or messaging you just to ask about the ‘adventures’ you had with your job, it would’ve been great. Sure it sounded cool whenever he talks about it, but in reality, it’s a scary world. Every mission felt like your last and to some, it was.

You shook your head clear of the horrible scenes you’ve seen in the field. Right now, you had to deal with math. You glanced at your phone to see if there were any messages. Weirdly enough, tonight was silent. Maybe Seungcheol was having a hard time with his homework too?

Seungcheol rolled on his bed and took his phone from his desk. He scrolled through his contacts before dialing a number and waited for an answer.

“Hey man!”

“Ah. Coups-hyung.”

“You don’t sound tired. That’s good. Anyway, I need help.”

He heard the voice scoff and the sound of a chair squeaking as it turned. “On a hurry aren’t we? Alright. Shoot.”

“You remember Y/N, right?”

The voice from the other end laughed. “That girl who literally flipped you over?”

“You’re not wrong but why would you bring that up?” Seungcheol groaned. “I was caught off guard okay? Anyway, I’ve been thinking. I want to do something nice for all her hard work but I’m not sure what.”

The line went silent for a while before the voice spoke again. “And you called me?”

“I know but you’re my best friend and I really need help. I seriously have no idea what she would like. She’s still kinda distant to me.”

Seungcheol heard the voice let out a sigh and pretty soon, he heard the familiar tapping on the computer keyboard. “Man, she’s got you bad.”

“Pfft. What?” Seungcheol scoffed. “What do you mean? I’m just trying to be nice okay.”

“Yeah right.” The voice on the other end teased. “So here’s what I think.”

 

“Hey Y/N?”

You turned to see Seungcheol sitting on his desk facing you. Class just ended and surprisingly, Seungcheol’s been a total angel today. He only asked sensible and important questions and has been sticking to his schedule all day. “Yeah?”

“Do you have any plans after class?”

“Uh, besides waiting for your driver with you? None. Why?” Your gaze went to Seungcheol’s eyes which, apparently, were too busy avoiding yours.

“I was thinking…” Just then, Seungcheol’s phone rang. He raised an eyebrow upon reading the caller id. “Yes, Secretary Seo?”

You watched as Seungcheol’s face turn serious.

“Like I have a choice?” Seungcheol turned his phone off and sighed. “Change of plans. You’ll still be going with me somewhere though.”

 

You shifted in your seat at the back of the car with Seungcheol. After the phone call, his driver arrived with a change of clothes. Thankfully, they had something comfortable for you to slip into as well. CEO Choi was supposed to meet someone but due to conflict in schedules, he had to pass it over Seungcheol. This will be the first time you’ll be going with him on a not-so-official schedule, much less a business meeting at that. Of course, you’ve been into meetings before but it still feels different.

“It’s fine. I just have to meet him and entertain him. Official business work won’t be starting until next month.” He said, dusting off invisible dirt on his shoulder. “Think of it as a date of some sort.”

You turned to him, eyebrows raised.

He returned the look with an easy smile. “Relax. I don’t mean us.” He laughed, facing the front. “You can think of it as one, though.”

You scoffed, turning your gaze back to the side. “You wish.”

The car slowed to a stop in front of a restaurant. Seungcheol entered the establishment with you behind him, instructing the driver and his partner to be on the lookout from the table on the patio.

“Hyung!” a voice called out from one of the separate rooms in the restaurant. A tall and rather handsome guy approached Seungcheol with a big puppy grin on his face. “It’s nice to see you again!” he said, taking Seungcheol’s hand and gave him a hug.

“Mingyu! You’re too early! Are you making hyung look bad?” Seungcheol laughed, obviously happy at the sight of this person.

“Eyyy. My flight just landed earlier and I didn’t want to be late. I’m really happy to see you!” he said giddily, guiding him to his seat before turning to you.

Seungcheol followed Mingyu’s confused gaze to you, cocking his head on the side. “Oh right. Y/N, this is Mingyu. He’s a friend so it’s okay. You don’t have to take guard.” He said, pulling the chair next to him. “Sit with us.”

“Thank you but there’s no need,” you nodded. With just the three of you and a couple of attendants going in and out of the room, guarding outside would be the best thing to do. You turned to Mingyu and nodded. “My name is Y/N. I’m Seungcheol-ssi’s bodyguard.”

-ssi?” Seungcheol asked.

“It’s very nice to meet you, Ms. Y/N.” he smiled, oblivious of Seungcheol sending him daggers with his eyes.

“If you’ll excuse me, I’ll be staying right outside to give you some privacy.” You bowed slightly before walking out of the room and to the table right next to it, making sure that you still have a clear vision on them while keeping an eye on the rest of the restaurant.

“I want one.”

Seungcheol lifted his gaze from the menu to see Mingyu staring outside. At you. “What?”

Mingyu turned to look at Seungcheol, leaning towards the table. “I want one. A bodyguard.”

“Then get one. But she’s off limits. So stop looking at her. Okay?” Seungcheol let out a forced smile as he went back on picking what to eat for dinner. “You know, you really have to learn to adjust your timing Mingyu.”

Mingyu looked up, a smirk on his face. “Ohhh. Defensive. Did something happen, hyung?”

Seungcheol smiled and shook his head. “Nah. It’s fine. Ahhhh I want chicken.”

 

For the nth time since stepping foot in the restaurant, you surveyed the surroundings while taking a sip of your coffee. With no suspicious activities at all, you rested your chin on the back of your hand and spoke softly. “Anything outside?”

“Negative. Everything’s clear.”

“Alright. Get the car ready. Looks like they’re finished.” You stood up and watched Seungcheol and Mingyu walk out of the room.

“We’ll see each other soon, right?”

“Ah hyung. Of course. I’ll visit when I’m free.” Mingyu said, shaking Seungcheol’s hand. He then turned to you and took your hand. “I hope we’ll meet next time too.” He smiled, bringing his lips to the back of your hand and kissed it. He smiled and went in the car.

Seungcheol walked and stood beside you. “Really? I thought for sure you were going to punch him or something.”

“Nah. He’s a cute kid.”

“Whoa. Wait. You actually like him??” Seungcheol asked, his eyes wide open.

You shrugged, ushering Seungcheol to the car before smiling at him. “Let’s go.”