Epilogue

Keep You Safe

Okay now this really is the last part of Keep You Safe. For real.


“Alright. See you tomorrow.”

You walked in the cozy inn and out of the chilly street, smiling at the concierge as you walked past the counter. It was a small up and down roadside inn situated just outside the city. Aside from him and a woman seated near the fireplace watching the television on mute, the whole lobby was deserted, so peaceful and quiet, a complete contrast on what’s supposed to be happening behind the scenes.

It's been almost two weeks since you left for your assignment, one overseas. A joint operation was conducted months ago by various agencies under the government for suspected arms trafficking and illegal trade. You, among others, were picked from your agency to pose as new tourists in the area, acting us additional ears and protection for undercover agents, including the concierge.

However, information was scarce and no suspicious activity has happened in over a month, forcing everyone to be pulled out from the operation by tomorrow.

You walked upstairs towards your room when you heard someone cough. You stopped in your tracks. The cough came from your room.

You grabbed your gun tucked behind your pants, your heart beating hard against your chest. The doorknob was warm against your hand as you slowly twisted it open. Walking in silently, you rounded the corner and aimed. “Freeze!”

Eyes wide as discs met yours, a small yelp escaping his lips as he threw his hands in the air. “What the – put that away!”

You took a step forward and lowered your gun, your breathing slowly going back to normal. “Seungcheol? What are you doing here??”

“Put that away!” he repeated, flapping his hand towards your gun.

You stood staring. What on earth is going on?

“I...I wanted to see you,” he said in a small, guilty voice.

“Seungcheol you’re not supposed to be here!” you hissed. “And I was going back tomorrow!”

Seungcheol's lips were pursed. He was sulking. Again. Before you left, he was uneasy about letting you go for a few weeks. Although you were able to coax him, assuring him that time will pass by in a flash, clearly it wasn't enough for him. “I thought we could have a vacation here,” he continued.

“What?”

“I told you didn’t I? I wanted to go on a date with you.”

"Seungcheol, we already did!"

"But that was a business trip!"

You closed your eyes in frustration and took a deep breath. “Alright. Fine. Let’s go somewhere but we’re leaving first thing tomorrow. Okay?”

His face lit up, his lips now curved into a smile. “Okay!”

“But first, I need to cancel my flight –”

“Already taken care of.”

“What?”

“Already taken care of,” he repeated.

“But...your dad –“

“Permission already granted.”

“But my dad –“

“Permission also granted,” he grins. “He said you were already free anyway.”

You stood, your eyes narrowed towards him. Apparently, there were a lot more going on behind the scenes.

“And where are you –” you paused, your gaze shifting towards the corner of the room, a few bags, not yours, resting near the couch. You stared at them before looking back at Seungcheol and noticed; he was wearing pajamas. You closed your eyes and took a deep breath. “No.”

“Oh come on. There aren't any rooms left!”

“You could've gone to a hotel! There's one in the city!”

"No way! That's too far."

"Seungcheol."

He climbed on the bed, tucking himself under the blankets and made himself comfortable.

"Seungcheol, it’s not safe for you to be here!"

“I’m safe with you,” he said, his eyes locked on yours, you felt your heart pound against your chest.

“Fine.”

Seungcheol beamed before he saw you marching right at him. "Y/n?"

You grabbed a pillow, pulling the outer blanket from him and threw it on the couch before you grabbed your bag beside him and walked towards the bath room.

You turned to close the door and saw Seungcheol still watching, his eyes piercing innocently right through you making the tip of your ears grow warm before you slammed the door close, leaving him a confused mess outside.

Your hand went over your heart and tried to breathe evenly in an attempt to calm yourself. He honestly has no idea at all!

 

You opened the door slowly and went out. The bed was neat and empty, the couch was now occupied.

"Seungcheol?"

Your voice echoed in the room. You walked near the couch and saw him sleeping peacefully, his chest rising and falling steadily, his mouth slightly opened. He must've been tired from the long flight.

You tiptoed back to the bed, climbing in carefully so as not to make any noise and sighed. It's been a long and uneventful day and you weren't sure if his surprise was the best way to end it. Well, he did talk about having a vacation with you. Maybe it's a good thing.

You reached to your left and switched the lamp off, shifting on the bed, closing your eyes when you heard him call your name.

"Are you sleeping?"

"Seungcheol, I literally just turned the lights off a few seconds ago."

"Oh. Right." You held your breath as you heard the couch squeak, hoping he was only making himself comfortable. "Y/n?"

You breathed. Thankfully, his voice sounded far away. "Hm?"

"...I’m sorry for coming here on my own. I really did missed you."

You turned, twisting the blanket loose. Why does it keep getting warm? You allowed yourself a few seconds before replying in a quiet voice. "Me too." And it was true. Though not all the time, whenever you had nothing to do, it was him that was constantly in your mind.

"Really?"

"Really."

You waited anxiously for whatever's happening next. But seconds passed and you were only met with silence. Maybe he was sleep talking?

“Then,” he continued, your heart pounding hard as you heard the couch squeak again, “is it alright if I sleep next to you? Not even on the same bed!" he added. “Just...next to you.”

You sighed and chewed on your lower lip. He seriously doesn't understand! You shifted again, facing the edge of your bed away from him and cleared your throat. "The bed's...wide enough...for two."

You heard him smile, if that made sense, and silently prayed that he couldn't hear you smiling yourself.

The sound of feet shuffling and the bed dipping replaced the nerve-wracking seconds of silence that hung in the room as he slipped under the covers with you. Your back felt warm as he laid down next to you, the hairs on your nape prickling. None of your previous missions even compared to the nervousness that was happening in you now; it was crazy!

"Stay in your lane, okay?"

The sound of his soft carefree laughter, deep and calming (it was almost irritating), reached your ears. "Relax. I'm not that type of person."

"Whatever."

"Where do you want to go first tomorrow?" he asked in a quiet voice, prompting you to do the same.

"Well I was originally thinking of going back home but I guess that's out now."

"Mhm."

"I don't know."

"Alright. Let's just go on an adventure tomorrow. Sounds good?"

"Yeah."

The bed dipped slightly again as you felt him shift facing you, you can almost feel the warmth of his breath against your skin. “Seungcheol I told you –” you glanced back and stopped to see that he was actually sleeping.

It's been a while since you last saw him this close. With life being simpler and more peaceful than the last few months, it really shows on a person's face. Slowly, you turned to face him, taking in the looks of his features as best as you can. The bags and dark circles under his eyes were still there but it's the smile on his lips and the relaxed expression on his face that made a huge difference.

“You're making your thinky face again, aren't you?” he mumbled.

“What?”

“You're staring.”

“I wasn't staring,” you said feeling your cheeks grow warmer. “I'm going back to sleep!”

“Wait!” Seungcheol caught your hand and held it tight, preventing you from turning back. “Please stay...at least, just like this.”

You studied him some more, feeling more relaxed as seconds pass. The whole two weeks has been so trying that you can’t help but feel thankful that he’s here. It wasn't just the warmth of his hand on yours or his smile that made you grateful. It's his presence; his whole existence that brought warmth in your life. Just for tonight, at least, just like this. You smiled. “Good night.”

“Good night.”


Your eyes fluttered open, your gaze landing on Seungcheol’s face. He was sleeping soundly just as he was last night. You smiled, realizing that his hand was still holding onto yours, when you heard a scream.

You bolted up, looking around. Whoever it was screamed again.

“Y/n?” Seungcheol mumbled, rubbing his eyes.

You reached for your jacket and your gun and went outside the hall.

“Somebody!! Anybody!!” the voice, now clearly a woman’s, shouted. It was coming from downstairs.

You rushed down the stairs past rooms with half-opened doors as other guests checked what was happening.

“What is it??” you panted just as the other agents caught up beside you, Seungcheol right behind them. Your eyes followed hers and landed on a body face down on the floor. It was the guy at the concierge last night and he was lying on his own pool of blood.

“The-there’s a no-note right h-here –”

“Don’t touch it!” you shouted, grabbing a pen from the counter.

You stepped closer to the body and knelt beside him, carefully pulling the note with the pen away from the blood before you broke out in cold sweat.

It wasn’t the threat from the note or the fact that the operation was found out that terrified you. It was the sign at the bottom.

“Y/n! What is it?” Seungcheol asked.

You slumped on the ground, not believing your eyes.

It was the mark of Tiger.