Pt. 10 (Final)

Keep You Safe

It’s the final chapter alright. Thank you so much for all who stuck with Keep You Safe until today. Enjoy!


You hang up and placed your phone back in your pocket. Talking to Wonwoo and knowing that Seungcheol was in good hands made you feel at ease. At least, that’s taken care of.

You glanced past Seungkwan and to Junyeong who was still on his knees. He was already losing a considerable amount of blood from his arm injury earlier and by the looks of it, he did not have any fight in him left. Good thing Seungkwan only grazed him. Else, he would really be dead for good and that would be terribly inconvenient.

“Seungkwan, have you called for back-up?”

“Yeah. They’ll be here in a minute.”

Your phone vibrated and saw a message from Wonwoo telling you where they were. “Where’s that?”

“What is?” Seungkwan asked as he read the message. “Isn’t that the clubbing district? Really busy place. Why would Wonwoo-hyung want to meet you there?”

“I have to go,” you said as you placed your phone back in your pocket. You heard the police siren and looked up in time to see a car pull up in front. “Take care of this for me?”

Seungkwan nodded and watched as you disappeared from view as agents and a few medics came rushing to his aid.

“Sir! Officer Jun is on the line,” an agent said handing Seungkwan a phone.

“Junhui-hyung?”

“Seungkwan…” a hoarse voice answered.

“Where the hell are you? You’ve been missing for a month! And why do you sound like that?”

“No time… Y/n… Where is she?”

Seungkwan winced as he heard Jun have a coughing fit. “Y/n just left. Why?”

“Tiger.. Tiger is...”

 

“So I have to go through the club itself, right? Got it.”

You placed your phone down as you rounded the corner and parked in front of a small building with neon signs and loud music all over.

The place reeked of alcohol and smoke, not to mention brewing trouble. Except for the expected presence of tipsy customers and noisy people, the club was littered with bouncers all armed more than they normally would be. Your hand automatically went over your gun hidden under your shirt, making sure it was still there and out of sight. Just in case.

Right through the club, stairs to the right, door in the middle, just as Wonwoo instructed. Two bouncers stood guard in front of two huge doors. You stopped in front of them and announced that you were there to see Wonwoo. A look of reluctance passed between them.

“I’m here to see Wonwoo,” you repeated yourself sharply.

Wonwoo’s back came into view as soon as they opened the door. He stood at the back of the room in front of a table. The room was simple with doors on either side that seemed to connect with the next door rooms, the night view outside easily visible through the big windows at the back. Other than Wonwoo, there were two other people in the room, both standing guard in front of each door but neither of them was Seungcheol.

“Y/n!” Wonwoo turned just as the doors behind you closed. “Thank goodness you're okay! What happened in there?”

“Stop.”

Wonwoo raised an eyebrow but obeyed, stopping midway. “What is it? Are you okay? Were you hurt?”

“Stop pretending. I know who you are.”

The muffled booming of the bass and whooping laughter from the club below filled the growing silence in the room. Neither you, Wonwoo, nor the men moved or made a sound, watching each other in silence, waiting on who will pounce first.

Wonwoo laughed lazily and relaxed, as one would when told a lame joke. “What is this? I can't even introduce myself properly?”

“Where is he?”

A silent staring battle continued between you and Wonwoo before he broke eye contact and laughed. “Impatient as always, aren’t we?” He shook his head before turning to the man on his right. “Bring him.”

The man, the one with a tattoo on his neck, went through the door behind him and disappeared.

“I don’t understand. Why?”

Wonwoo shrugged and sat down on the couch behind him. “Any guesses?”

“Quit playing around,” you snapped.

“You know y/n, I've always thought you were smart. I was so convinced that you would find out any time soon…but you didn't!” he smiled. “I’m impressed though now that you’ve finally caught on. How? Who told you?”

The door on your left opened and back was the man with the tattoo, half-holding half-dragging Seungcheol in arms.

“There he is. You know, he’s not as soft as he looks. I was mildly surprised when he threw a fit in the car. You’d think he’d be more scared and confused with how he looks…” Wonwoo looked back at Seungcheol and sneered. “Well, it’s two against one. Three, if you count me of course.”

You looked past him and at Seungcheol. He had a bruise on his cheek and his lips were bleeding. His hair and clothes were ruined but it was his swelling left eye that made you wince; it was almost half closed.

Looking at everyone else, it was clear Seungcheol didn’t go down without a fight. Even Wonwoo had a small bruise on his temple. But Wonwoo was right. With those two men, Seungcheol was lucky to even be conscious right now.

“Enough. Let him go.”

Wonwoo scoffed. “Just like that? I haven’t even told you the story yet. Aren’t you curious?”

“Why should I be?”

“Don’t you know? All of this is thanks to your dad.”

“…what?”

“Ah. He never told you?” he smiles. “My father was a businessman. Of course, there will always be competition, a lot of them more competitive than you would think. All we wanted was protection from those people, but we were rejected without reason!”

“At first I thought I’d get back at your dad for that. You know, making things harder for everyone, making everyone run blindly in circles...I knew more than enough to control all of those! And I didn’t even have to try hard! There were lots of people out there that hated your father. But then something more interesting happened!” He laughs, sending a shiver down your spine.

“Who knew it would turn out exactly how it should have been? You,” he points, “becoming his bodyguard? My father and I were denied of that small request! Isn’t it a little bit unfair that he’s got you?”

“What do you mean? I've never heard anything about this!”

“I thought it was pretty memorable though considering how because of me, there’s now a mark on your hand,” he said. “Don’t tell me you forgot about that boy you used to play with?”

Your eyes shifted to the scar on your hand. It was the scar that you told Seungcheol about, the one about the kid you saved in the past. “It can’t be…”

“Duh,” he rolls his eyes. “Again. Not that smart,” he pointed at his head before sitting next to Seungcheol. “I never forgot. I’m thankful for you for saving me of course but...my dad just went through a lot, going back and forth just to ask for your father’s help. I guess money really is a big factor,” he shrugged.

“My father is not that kind of person.”

“BUT HE IS ISN’T HE?!”

You flinched, instinctively grabbing your gun and pointed it at him, the man on your left returning the gesture towards you while the other one pointed his at Seungcheol.

You stood in cold sweat as you met Wonwoo’s eyes and saw only cold anger behind them, your heart pounding hard. You’ve never aimed your gun towards him even in training and you’ve never imagined that you would now. He's not the guy you spent years with. He’s not the same guy that you admired and became your friend. This person, as you found out, is a person that went through incredible measures for revenge. This person is not Wonwoo. This person is Tiger.

Unfazed, he brushed his hair in frustration and waved you off in annoyance. “Put that down. We don't want anyone else getting hurt. I don’t want extra mess to clean up after.”

“Really? Doesn't seem like it,” you said, jerking your head towards Seungcheol.

He shrugged. “It was his fault. He could’ve went quietly with us but –”

“And why...would I do that?” Seungcheol scoffed.

Wonwoo clicked his tongue and glared at Seungcheol.

“If you hated my father so much, then why did you become an agent with us? Why did you become someone else’s bodyguard? Why go through all that??”

“Ahhhh…are you feeling the pain of betrayal?” he asks, his hand going over his heart. “Because that’s how it felt. It was a simple request. But what did your father do? Nothing! Was it because we didn’t have enough money?? Because he thought my father was making things up?? WE NEEDED PROTECTION BUT HE THREW US AWAY! MY FATHER BEGGED EVERY DAY! WAS IT TOO MUCH TO ASK?! HE COULDN’T SPARE EVEN ON PERSON TO PROTECT US?? MY FATHER AND I ALMOST DIED COUNTLESS TIMES!” Wonwoo panted, his chest heaving. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, a soft chuckle escaping his lips.

“Is…is your father…”

“Dead?” He scoffed and looked away, walking towards the table at the back of the room where a small box was. “He’s as good as one. He won’t stop blabbering about the people who were after us day and night.” He opened the box, pulling out a knife from it and examined it closely before turning back to you. “Course, they’re now dead. But you don’t really think I’ll forget just like that, right?”

“So that’s it? You went all through this, involving as much innocent people as you can…all to get back at my father?”

“Not all of them were innocent,” he added. “But, if you put it that way, it does sound grand,” he sneers. “Like I said, I didn’t need to try hard. It was quite fun watching everyone lose their heads from trying to find out who Tiger is.” He walked over to where Seungcheol was, tracing Seungcheol’s cheek with the flat of his knife. “But it wasn’t enough. Then I found out about your new assignment. Naturally, I would get angry at that, right?”

“You’re mad.”

“And your father’s not? Tell me, which of us initiated this whole mess?”

Target clear.

“And what happens after?”

"Who knows? How about you? What’s your plan now?" Wonwoo asked, pointing the tip of his knife at you.

7, 6…

Your eyes went on Seungcheol who looked like he might collapse at any moment and felt sorry. Just a little more. “Seungcheol, remember my first day in school? When we met during lunch?”

3, 2…

The sound of breaking glass pierced through the room along with the cold wind of the night. The knife clattered on the floor as Wonwoo howled in pain, the carpet beneath him now stained red and covered in shards of glass.

Seungcheol grabbed the man’s arm and pulled with great effort, rolling the man off his hip, elbowing his face for good measure. He threw him down before pinning him on the floor and grabbed the gun from him.

You ran and went for the other guy, ducking as he fired at you.

BANG! Another shot was fired.

The man cried out, holding his side as blood dripped down from his fingers. You grabbed his arm, twisting it as you pried the gun off of his hand. You spun around, throwing a punch at his jaw and watched as he fell face down unconscious.

You turned in time to see Wonwoo reaching for his knife before you kicked it from his hands. You stood in front of him, gun aimed right before him. “Game over.”

Thundering steps and muffled groans echoed behind the walls. The doors slammed open as agents filled the room. “Hands up where I can see them!!”

You stepped back and turned, a slow smile forming in your face. It was Seungkwan and the others.

Your father emerged from the sea of agents in the room, his hair and clothes a mess, his hand clutching his side. He stood beside you with a frown, his tired eyes set on Wonwoo.

Wonwoo looked up. His eyes were like piercing cold daggers, the smile on his face despite the alarming amount of blood in his hands like sweet poison. “Well, well. If it isn’t the devil himself.”

The lines on your father’s face deepened, his face a look of pity more than remorse. “What I did in the past is wrong. Believe it or not, I’m still paying for my sins until now. But looking at you, I’m even more sorry that you made choices that turned you this way. I prayed that you will find another path Wonwoo. You deserved that at least.”

That was it. Wonwoo bolted up, his body visibly shaking and his teeth clenched in anger. His hands swiped the air as he tried reaching for your father, blood splattering on the floor. If it weren’t for the agents that held him back, who knows what could’ve happened.

“Take him away.”

You heard words you would’ve never imagined you would hear from him. His screams echoed the room, his fist closed tight as he tried hard to fight back. It was like a losing game of tug-of-war while you watch him get dragged helplessly out of the room.

You glanced at your father. His eyes were shut tight as though physically blocking out the horrible sounds, the frown on his face getting deeper still. You reached out a tentative hand and gently placed it on his shoulder. Questions swam in your head but only one seemed to surface. “Dad, are you alright?”

His lips curved into a small tired smile. He looked at you as he reached for your hand and held it tight. He sighed. “I am,” he said, patting your hand. He glanced at Seungcheol. “I’ll go and check some things. See to him okay?”

You wanted to press on but decided not to. It’ll have to wait. “Alright.”

You moved back and made way as more agents came in, helping Seungcheol up as they took the man beneath him away. You watched as they carried the man on their backs before you felt Seungcheol’s hand slip from yours as he collapsed on the ground.

“Seungcheol! Seungcheol!” You shook his body, placing your head over his chest. He was breathing. “Seungcheol!”

Seungcheol shifted ever so slightly and groaned. “I’m fine…just exhausted.”

“Stop worrying me!” You let out a sigh and slumped on the floor beside him before you hit his chest.

He winced and took a peek before closing his eyes again, a content sigh escaping his lips. “How did you know about him?”

“Let’s just say a missing friend called Seungkwan and saved everyone. I’ll tell you the details later once I understand it more. Promise.”

“And Mingyu? Is he safe?”

“He is. Don’t worry.” Images of an unconscious Mingyu slumped at a corner in the basement parking came into mind with just a curious piece of paper folded beside him.

With everyone occupied, you took the chance and studied his face, your heart aching at every bruise he has. He really suffered a lot and you were just thankful that this was all that he got. “I’ll go call a medic.”

“No!” He grabbed your hand, his eyes wide and set on you and pulled you back. “Stay.”

You looked at him, ready to scold him but decided not to. “Fine. Just rest for now.”

He nodded and closed his eyes again, resting as though he was in bed in his own room and house.

Agents came in and out of the room, chattering away about recent findings and new orders, none of them paying attention to you and Seungcheol.

“Y/n,” he said, tugging at your finger lightly.

“Hm?”

“Lap pillow.”

You stared at him before flicking his forehead lightly, rolling your eyes as he let out a small cry. “I think you’re feeling fine if you have enough energy to joke around.”

“Sorry.”.

You shook your head and sat comfortably next to him. You sighed, the tight feeling in your body finally loosening, disappearing with your worries and problems. “It’s been a really long day.”

Finally, it’s over.


“Nervous?”

“Very.”

You smiled contently, fixing Seungcheol’s bow tie. You stepped back, admiring his formal look as though it was your first time seeing him. He looked handsome like always, though this time, he seemed more mature. “You’ll be fine. Just don’t trip on the steps like you did during rehearsal,” you laughed.

“I did not trip,” he pouts.

Yep. ‘Seemed’ was the right word. You studied him some more, his eyes and his lips. Though his bruises were gone weeks ago, the one evidence that remained from the whole Tiger thing – only visible when you’re standing near him – was a small scar on his lower cheek. You brushed it lightly with your thumb, oblivious of Seungcheol turning pink. “Let’s go?”

He cleared his throat and nodded as he walked with you outside the room and into the big hall.

The sound of applause welcomed you, a sea of people clapping and smiling once they saw who entered. Seungcheol waved at everyone with a smile as he walked to the front. Though he looked perfectly normal, his excitement and nervousness were plain as day, his pace slowing down a little as he went up on stage.

He surveyed the room, a content smile on his face as he waited for the applause to die down. “Thank you. Years ago, I learned that my future was already set. I’d have to admit, I wasn’t too happy about it. But just a month and a few weeks ago, things changed.”

“My father, President and Chief Executive Officer Choi, made a few twists in my life that as I knew from the start, would make my life an adventure whether I liked it or not. I’ve been more involved in the family business recently, guided by competent and amazing people both inside and outside of it,” he said, glancing at your direction.

“I’m still learning and will continue to learn. And with everyone’s help, I would like for Choi Industries to grow as a company that cares for its people and cares for the people. I’m asking for everyone’s guidance and participation into making this a reality.”

His gaze swept the room, giving everyone a warm smile. “I’m looking forward to working with everyone. Thank you.”

His words were drowned in applause, several people standing up as they cheered for their new president. His father met him halfway, giving him a hug. His eyes met yours, smiling – beaming – as you clapped harder than anyone else.

 

“So.”

“Sooo…”

“I was informed that I was to remain as your bodyguard.”

“Yep.”

“And I was given permission to participate in assignments when needed.”

“Uh-huh.”

“And I heard that it was all because you,” you halted and pointed at him, “personally went to my father’s office and requested it.”

He nodded. “That’s right.”

“Why?” you said, smiling in disbelief.

He shrugged. “Because I knew that it was what you wanted…that it would make you happy. So I wanted to help.”

You shook your head. “And you’re fine with it?”

“Yeah. I mean, it’s not like you’re going away or anything. I did specify that you’ll only go when absolutely needed.”

“Right. I forgot,” you scoffed. “Only when absolutely needed. With Tiger gone, I wonder when that will be.”

“Hopefully not soon,” he chuckled. “It’s only been a few weeks. You need time to rest. And I don’t want to miss you a lot.”

You smiled at yourself, your cheeks getting slightly warmer. It was one of those things Seungcheol was best at: turning ordinary words into special ones.

“I know! Let’s go on a date soon! Somewhere overseas with no distractions!” he joked.

“Alright. Just tell me when.”

Seungcheol stopped in his tracks, his mouth slightly agape as he stared at you. “Wait. Does that mean you’ll go out with me?? For real??”

“I said I’ll go on a date with you. I didn’t say I’m going out with you.” You rolled your eyes and resumed walking. “Not yet at least,” you muttered under your breath.

“What did…did you just say…?”

You shrugged and smiled. "Who knows?"


The end...?