You and Her

Unwanted Benefits

 

“How long do you think it'll take for Jennie to realize that we're gone?” Jisoo asked as she drove, a mischievous smirk tugging on her lips.

“Well, Jennie is a heavy sleeper. I think I last set her alarm for seven fifty five though, but it'll take her a while to notice we're not there,” Rosé reasoned. She leaned back in the shotgun seat, unabashedly staring at Jisoo.

“Why are you doing that?” the older girl chuckled without looking over.

“Doing what?” the redhead replied innocently.

“Why are you staring at me like that?”

“Because you're beautiful and I want to admire you.”

“Whoa there. Someone woke up romantic.” Jisoo tried to make it sound teasing, but her giggle sounded nervous and a blush coated her cheeks.

“Well I've never woken up in the arms of someone who takes such good care of me. I can’t help it if I’m falling for you.”

“You shouldn’t say such things,” Jisoo chuckled, shaking her head as she pulled into the parking lot of a small café.

“What? Why not?” Rosé demanded seriously. Jisoo, who hadn’t yet caught on to Rosé’s sincerity, grinned at the younger girl playfully.

“Because I might start to believe you.”

“You should. I mean it.” The playful expression was immediately wiped off of Jisoo’s face when she realized that Rosé wasn’t joking. The older girl gulped visibly, her lips slightly parted, as she watched Rosé slowly lean over the car’s center console. Jisoo was practically frozen, her heart beating wildly in her chest when the younger girl stopped with mere centimeters between them and breathily whispered, “I really like you.”

“I r-really like you t-too,” Jisoo stuttered. Her mind was foggy and the way Rosé was looking at her through her lashes wasn’t helping at all. Unable to bear the proximity any longer, Jisoo lunged forward, capturing the younger girl’s waiting lips. She hungrily moved against Rosé’s, craving the blissful contact. Rosé happily reciprocated, her hands locking behind Jisoo’s neck and pulling her ever closer. Jisoo’s hands were on the younger girl’s waist until, unexpectedly, one of them began to wander. Her fingers grazed Rosé’s milky skin, exposed by her short skirt, before caressing the younger girl’s inner thigh and begin to slowly move beneath the skirt’s fabric. Rosé smirked against Jisoo’s lips before pulling away, breaking the kiss and forcing Jisoo to retract her hand.

“Someone is oddly eager today,” Rosé teased. Jisoo, meanwhile, looked completely dazed as if she genuinely had been unaware of her own actions. Rosé could do nothing but laugh at the older girl’s expression, leaning forward to plant a quick kiss on Jisoo’s lips before opening the car door. She grinned widely as she looked back at her still-dazed partner. “Let’s go, cutie. I want some breakfast.”

***

“What do you mean they’re gone?” Lisa’s panicked voice came through the phone. Jennie flinched involuntarily, feeling inexplicably responsible for the younger girl’s distress.

“They’re not in their room. I don’t know where they are,” Jennie admitted. “I woke up with my alarm and was getting ready for class when I realized it was oddly quiet. I thought maybe Rosé and Jisoo had slept through their alarms or something so I went to check on them. No one answered my knocks and when I opened the door, the room was empty. I don’t know when they left or where they went.”

“Do you think they’re gonna attend class today?”

“I hope so. I’m gonna stop by Rosé’s class before lunch and see if she’s there.”

“I’ll do the same with Jisoo. This behavior is really starting to worry me.”

“Yeah, me too. I don’t know what’s gotten into them lately.”

“You don’t think they’re doing anything crazy or dangerous, do you?”

“Honestly, I don’t know anymore.”

***

“So, you’re picking me up for lunch, right?” Rosé stated more than asked, leaning against the driver’s side door of Jisoo’s car.

“Yep. I’ll leave my class a little early so I can be here when you get out,” the older girl confirmed, smiling at Rosé through the open window.

“You don’t have to do that, you know? It’s perfectly fine for me to wait for you.”

“I know I don’t have to do it, but I want to. Girls like you shouldn’t have to wait.”

“Girls like me, huh? And what kind of girl am I exactly?”

“The perfect kind.” Jisoo’s answer came without hesitation and her eyes were shimmering with sincerity and adoration, causing Rosé to blush darkly.

“Wow, guess I’m not the only one who woke up romantic. Who knew you were such a sweet talker?” Rosé teased, trying to play it cool.

“Do I get a kiss now?” Jisoo asked, pursing her lips expectantly. Rosé rolled her eyes but happily obliged, leaning through the driver’s side window to press a kiss to the older girl’s waiting lips. When she pulled away, Rosé was met with Jisoo’s goofy smile and she couldn’t help but burst into laughter.

“Alright, Romeo. Get to class before you’re late,” Rosé chuckled.

“I’ll be back for you, Juliet,” Jisoo responded with a wink before setting the car in drive and leaving. Rosé stood on the curb for a while, watching the car disappear down the street, until a voice snapped her out of her daze.

“Rosé, is that you?” Rosé looked up to see that the source of the voice was none other than Wendy.

“Wendy, hey! Wow, it’s been a while,” the redhead greeted, allowing herself to be wrapped in a hug.

“Yeah, I know! We haven’t hung out since last year,” Wendy agreed, friendly as ever.

“I know it was greatly my fault and I’m sorry. Things just got so tense between Seulgi and Jennie after the fallout and I really didn’t want to be in the middle of it.”

“Is that why? I thought maybe it had something to do with us breaking up.” Wendy pouted, though it was obvious that she was joking.

“Oh, stop pouting.” Rosé rolled her eyes. “You know I always prefered you as a friend instead of a lover.”

“Back atcha. Especially since we were both interested in other people more than each other. Though I see you might have found someone you’re even more interested in.” Wendy raised her eyebrows, smirking at how Rosé blushed. “So, who was the lucky person in the car?”

“Um… it was, uh, Jisoo.” Rosé couldn’t even meet Wendy’s gaze, opting to stare at her fingers which were fiddling with her sleeve.

“Are you serious? You and Jisoo?” Rosé nodded wordlessly, peeking up at Wendy’s shocked expression. “Well, that was an unexpected turn of events.”

“Yeah, I didn’t really expect it either,” Rosé confessed, her laugh coming out nervous.

“So… are you two together then?” Wendy asked, holding back another smirk.

“Not officially, no. But I hope that’s where we’re headed,” the redhead said wistfully.

“I hope so too. You deserve someone who loves you and takes care of you, and I think Jisoo might finally be that person for you.”

“Thanks, Wen. It means a lot coming from you.”

“Hey, you know I want the best for you, Rosie. That’s what friends are for, right?”

“Right.” Rosé glanced at her phone to check the time. “Damn it, I’m late. I’d better get going. But I’ll text you?”

“Yeah sure. Later!” Wendy called as Rosé jogged away.

***

“Hey, Wendy! What’s up?” Seulgi groggily said.

“Tell Joy that she owes you ten bucks,” Wendy replied immediately, not even bothering to say hello.

“Wannie, what are you talking about?” Seulgi asked. Her voice was still thick with sleep and it was obvious that her mind wasn’t yet working enough for her to process what was being said.

“You were right,” Wendy clarified. “Rosé and Jisoo are together now. Your meddling worked.”

***

Before Jennie had gotten together with Seulgi, she’d been a much more attentive friend to Rosé. The realization hit Jennie as she made her way to the building where Rosé’s current class was, something the dark-haired girl hadn’t done for months. The year before, Jennie would always leave her classes earlier in order to meet with Rosé. After things had gone south with Seulgi, Jennie and Rosé had switched roles, with Rosé being the one to go out of her way for Jennie. At some point, though, they’d both stopped altogether, opting to meet up somewhere instead of going to find each other. Jennie hadn’t realized it before but she missed the old dynamic and she was hit with the sudden desire to make it up to her neglected best friend.

Just then, Jennie spotted Rosé walking out of the building, scanning the vicinity as if she were looking for something. Jennie was about to approach her, desperately wanting to hug her best friend for the first time in days. She stopped short however when Rosé’s expression suddenly lit up and she made her way towards a stationary car. Jennie watched in confusion as Jisoo climbed out of the driver’s seat, smiling brightly as she wrapped her arms around Rosé’s waist. And when the pair shared a long, slow kiss, Jennie could have sworn that she stopped breathing. Wide-eyed, Jennie was frozen in place watching as Jisoo opened the passenger door for Rosé and helped her in before climbing into the driver’s side and driving away.

Jennie stood there for several minutes, unable to understand what she had just witnessed. What the hell was going on here?

***

When Rosé got back to the apartment after dance practice that evening, the last thing that she expected was to find a grim-faced Jennie waiting for her.

“Geez, Jennie, you almost scared me half to death,” Rosé exclaimed when she caught sight of Jennie, a hand placed dramatically over her heart. The redhead was smiling jokingly, but Jennie didn’t seem amused.

“What’s going on with you two, you and Jisoo?” Jennie demanded, eyes cold and arms crossed. Rosé immediately stopped smiling, the tense atmosphere finally settling on her shoulders.

“Is that really the first thing you’re going to say to me?”

“Just answer the damn question. What the hell is going with the two of you?”

“Last time I checked, it’s really none of your business. But if you must know, we’ve just been hanging out and destressing a bit. Is that a problem?”

“Oh, so making out with people helps you relieve stress now?”

“What are you even talking about?”

“I went to your class earlier and I saw you guys start kissing. When did that happen?”

“What the hell? Are you stalking me now?”

“No, I wanted to talk to my best friend, which I haven’t been able to do lately because you keep disappearing with her,” Jennie spat. She was on her feet by this point, fists clenched at her sides. Rosé let out a sharp, humorless chuckle.

“Oh so now I’m your best friend? Now that I’m not on call twentyfour-seven to tend to your every whim, now you care? I’m not your little , Jennie. I can go wherever the hell I want, whenever and with whomever. I don’t need your permission nor do I owe you any explanations.”

“You could have at least told me but you’ve been avoiding me like the plague. It’s like you don’t even want to be around me anymore.”

“Maybe I don’t want to be around you anymore. Maybe I’m tired of you selectively caring about me when it’s convenient for you.”

“Then why are you still here? Why don’t you just leave?!”

“Fine, I will!” Rosé spun on her heel and stormed down the hall, leaving a dumbstruck Jennie behind.

“W-wait, what?” Jennie stammered, only then realizing what had been said. She quickly ran after the younger girl. Panic started rising in Jennie’s chest when she made it to Rosé’s room and saw that the girl was shoving various things into a large duffel bag. “Rosé, what are you doing?”

“I’m leaving, Jennie. Maybe for good.”

***

The moment Jisoo entered her dorm room, a slim body slammed into her.

“Chichoo, I missed you so much,” Lisa murmured, her face buried in Jisoo’s shoulder.

“Did you just call me Chichoo?” Jisoo asked, gently detaching herself from the younger girl.

“Uh, y-yeah… Why? Do you not like being called that anymore?”

“It’s not that. I just… you haven’t called me that since…”

“Since Bangkok, I know.” Lisa grimaced, rubbing the nape of her neck sheepishly. “Look, I’m sorry if I’ve been distant since my arrival here. It’s just that after you left Thailand last year…”

“I know, Lice. It was hard for me too.” Jisoo reached out, putting her hand supportively on Lisa’s shoulder and offering a smile. “But hey, we’re okay now. Right?”

“Definitely! I was actually hoping we could hang out tonight. We haven’t really done anything together since I got here.”

“Sorry, kiddo. I already have plans with Rosé. But we’ll definitely hang out soon, I promise.” Lisa was about to start whining and putting on her irresistible cute act when Jisoo’s phone started blaring. The older girl looked confused as she answered the call. “Rosé, hey. Did you get ready that fast? I’m not--”

“Jisoo, I know I promised you dinner but I’m gonna have to take a raincheck,” Rosé’s voice crackled through the phone. It took Jisoo less than a second to realize something was off.

“Did something happen? You sound like you’ve been crying.”

“I need you, Chichoo. Can you meet me?”

“I’ll be right there.”


I'm sorry if this chapter or seems a bit rushed. I hope it's still enjoyable enough to read.

Also, I'm really sorry it took so long T~T Thank you for waiting!

~unsungpoet <3