Understood

Unwanted Benefits

 

When Rosé woke up, she almost cried out at the intense pain shooting through her temples. The bright sunlight didn’t help at all and made it quite difficult for the girl to even open her eyes. But she didn’t have to open her eyes to finally realize that she was in someone’s arms. Someone’s unfamiliar arms.

What the hell? Rosé thought. She groggily shielded her eyes so that she could open them without being completely blinded. What she saw both shocked her and confused her. She was curled up between Jisoo and the back of a couch she didn’t recognize, the older girl still asleep. The exhaustion was clear on Jisoo’s face and Rosé allowed herself to admire the red-haired girl’s features for a moment. Her heart was fluttering at their close proximity and it confused her that she couldn’t remember how they’d ended up in this position. Rosé cautiously pushed herself up slightly, careful not to wake the girl by her side. She quickly regretted the decision to sit up, however, when her vision started to swim. She braced herself on the back of the couch, forcing herself to take deep breaths until her world stopped spinning. Then she looked around at the scenery, trying to discern where she was but not recognizing what seemed to be a rooftop garden.

“Where the hell are we?” Rosé muttered to herself.

“Arts building roof,” a sleepy voice answered her. She looked over to see Jisoo rubbing her eyes and sitting up.

“Oh, you’re awake,” Rosé noted. “Please tell me your memory is working better than mine.”

“What do you remember about last night?”

“Honestly? Nothing. I remember being in the dance studio practicing. And then I know I wanted to go somewhere to be alone for the night, but everything after that is pretty blank.”

“Wow, you either drank way more than I thought, or you don’t handle your alcohol very well.”

“I don’t drink much or very often. But, if this killer hangover is anything to judge by, I definitely drank way past my limit.” Rosé grimaced, rubbing her temple and trying to massage the pain away. “So, what about you? Do you know what happened?”

“Well, yeah. I only had a few sips. Unlike you.” Jisoo smirked, shaking her head at the younger girl. She reached over the armrest of the couch, picking a purse and a water bottle up from the floor. She rummaged through the purse for a moment before holding her hand out to Rosé. “Here, take this.”

“What is it?” Rosé asked, tentatively holding her hand out.

“It’s tylenol, you idiot,” Jisoo chuckled. She placed the two tablets in Rosé’s extended palm and held out the water bottle for the younger girl to take. Rosé smiled sheepishly and accepted the items, throwing her head back as she swallowed the pills.

“Thanks.” Rosé chuckled nervously, suddenly very aware that she was still pressed between Jisoo and the couch. “So, um… mind telling me how I ended up here?”

“Honestly, I can’t fill you in on all of your endeavors. I don’t know how long you were in the practice room, but I found you there after my classes. I wanted some time to myself, and I always come up here to think. But on my way up, I heard music coming from one of the dance studios and got curious. When I saw it was you, I went in to say hi. But you were already tipsy. I guess you’d been drinking before and during your dance session, which is really dumb by the way. You were on the verge of passing out so I told you to stay put so I could go get you some water. But, of course, you didn’t listen. When I came back, you and your stuff were gone.

“I literally looked through every room in the building trying to find you. I wanted to call you, but I’d left my phone in my dorm room. After about a half hour of searching, I decided to just go up to the roof and take a breather, hoping you’d gone back to your apartment. But then I found you up here, more intoxicated than before, crying angrily and on the virge of teetering over the edge.”

“Oh God, that’s so embarrassing. This is why I don’t drink. I’m an emotional drunk and it’s awful. Please tell me I didn’t say or do anything stupid.”

“You really don’t remember anything that happened?” Rosé was about to reply that no, she really didn’t remember anything, when a series of foggy memories resurfaced in her mind.

Rosé looked up at the starlit sky before dropping her gaze to the sidewalk illuminated by streetlights several stories below. She found herself wondering what it would be like to fly, and then pondering what it would be like to just drop. She figured it would be fun until it ended, and that it would likely end too soon. Still, her hazy mind found the idea tempting and she realized she was leaning forward, though she couldn’t tell if she was physically doing so or if the alcohol in her system was making her feel as if she were tipping forward. All of a sudden, she felt herself get yanked back and she slammed into someone’s body, arms wrapping securely around her.

“Rosé, what the hell are you doing up here?” a familiar voice demanded, shaky with worry. But Rosé didn’t answer. She was too busy trying not to throw up from the way the world spun from the sudden jarring she’d received. She felt herself being tugged again, gentler this time, and she came to her senses once she was seated on the lone couch on the rooftop. A familiar girl was holding a water bottle to Rosé’s lips. With enough focus, Rosé was able to clear her vision enough to see that it was in fact Jisoo, the older girl’s features etched with concern. Her lips were moving, and it took Rosé another moment of focus to be able to make out the words. “Please, you have to drink some water, Rosé.”

“Wha’re you doin’ h’re?” Rosé slurred after obediently taking a long sip of water.

“I should ask you the same thing. What were you doing by the edge like that? You could have fallen,” Jisoo chastised.

“It… looked… fun,” Rosé answered slowly, a giggle bubbling in .

“You didn’t look like you were having very much fun. You were crying.” Jisoo reached out, running the pad of her thumb over Rosé’s damp cheeks. The older girl gingerly wiped Rosé’s cheeks until all of the tears were gone, her touch feathery and caring. When she was done, she gave Rosé a curious look. “What happened?”

“Doesn’ matter anym’re.”

“Okay then. We don’t have to talk about it. But I am worried about you. How much did you drink?” Rosé shrugged.

“Clearly not en’gh.” She unsteadily got to her feet, trudged over to her duffel bag which had been carelessly tossed aside, rummaged through it for a moment, and came back with a half-empty bottle of vodka in her hand. She held it out to Jisoo. “Wan’ some?”

“Oh my God, did you drink all of this by yourself?” Jisoo demanded, snatching the bottle from Rosé. The younger girl thought for a moment, scrunching her nose in concentration. After a minute or two, she shook her head. Jisoo let out a sigh of relief.

“I ha’ mos’ of it, but not all of it,” Rosé clarified, looking rather proud of herself. Jisoo shook her head.

“Okay, I think I should get you home.” Jisoo carefully took Rosé’s hand, but Rosé yanked it back roughly.

“No! I don’ wanna go back!”

“Rosé, you’re drunk--”

“I don wanna see her!”

“See who? Jennie?” Rosé didn’t answer, her eyes blazing as she looked down at her clenched fists. “What happened with Jennie?”

“It’s stupid.”

“It’s not stupid if you’re this upset. You can tell me what happened. Did she… did she hurt you?” Jisoo’s voice trembled in such a way that Rosé was forced to look up, her gaze meeting the concerned one of the older girl. Rosé sighed, looking down again.

“No. Not exac’ly.”

“Wait, is this about her and Lisa getting together?” Jisoo asked, finally catching on. Rosé nodded mutely, still refusing to look up. “Oh.”

“You like her, don’ you? Lisa, I mean,” Rosé finally said, looking at Jisoo through her lashes. She saw Jisoo visibly swallow and almost laughed at how cute she looked.

“Is it that obvious?”

“No, I jus’ know what t’ look for.”

“If it makes you feel any better, I think you’re a really amazing girl and Jennie is stupid for looking elsewhere when she’s always had you by her side.”

“Uh, thanks,” Rosé giggled nervously. She felt her face grow warm but convinced herself it was just a result of the alcohol. “So, um, what ‘bout you ‘nd Lisa?”

“We have… a history,” Jisoo said slowly, cringing at her own words. But then she smiled warmly at Rosé. “Maybe I’ll tell you sometime, when you’re sober and will actually remember the conversation in the morning.”

Everything else was too blurry to make out, except for one last memory.

“Here, drink some more water,” Jisoo ordered, holding the bottle to Rosé’s lips again. The younger girl opened , letting the cool liquid glide down .

“Th’nks,” she muttered once Jisoo pulled the bottle away. She rested her head on the older girl’s shoulder, trying to calm her breathing.

“Hey, if you’re going to throw up again, could you give me a warning so I can get out of the way?” Jisoo asked quietly. Rosé laughed, weakly but still.

“Sure,” she answered. Jisoo pushed Rosé’s hair away from her sweat-slick forehead, using her sleeve to dry the younger girl’s skin. Rosé sighed, leaning into the soft touch and breathing in the scent of Jisoo’s strawberry shampoo. After a moment, Rosé realized she was getting lost in the feeling. She lifted her head slightly, looking up at Jisoo. “How do you do that?”

“Do what?” Jisoo questioned, tilting her head in confusion.

“Make everything else fade away. Make me feel better.” Rosé’s eyes drifted to Jisoo’s lips. “Make me want to kiss you.”

“Rosé, you’re sad and lonely and have had too much to drink.”

“What if that’s not it though?”

“Ask me again when you’re sober and we’ll see.”

“Why did you take care of me?” Rosé asked all of a sudden. Jisoo arched an eyebrow.

“You don’t honestly believe I would have just left you alone in your state, do you? Not even if we were strangers would I do that,” the older girl replied.

“But you didn’t have to. You could have taken me home.”

“You didn’t want to go home and I understood that. And, quite frankly, I enjoy your company, despite your drunk ramblings.” Jisoo smiled teasingly, poking Rosé’s cheek affectionately. The younger girl still looked dazed and she took a moment to respond.

“If I asked again now, would you let me?” Rosé blurted abruptly. Jisoo tilted her head to the side in confusion.

“Would I let you do what?” she questioned.

“Would you let me kiss you?”

“I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

“Why not?”

“Because I’m not sure I want to be your rebound.”

“You won’t be mine as long as I’m not yours,” Rosé said with a shrug. Jisoo bit her lip, looking down in uncertainty. Rosé gently cupped the older girl’s chin, coaxing her to look up. “I think there’s a reason you stayed with me last night and treated me with such care, and I don’t think friendship had anything to do with it. You feel that connection too, don’t you?”

“Even with your sad, drunken state, I felt like you understood me in a way no one else has,” Jisoo admitted, seemingly mesmerized by the look that Rosé was giving her.

“I may not remember everything that happened last night, but I do distinctly remember feeling that too.” Rosé paused, her eyes flicking down to Jisoo’s lips. They were so close that they could practically feel each other’s hearts racing. “Why didn’t you let me kiss you last night?”

“Because I was afraid I’d fall for something that isn’t real.”

“Well I’m real. I’m completely real and I’m sober now.”

“Somehow, that’s more terrifying.” Rosé chuckled softly at Jisoo’s lame joke. She moved her hand to cup the older girl’s cheek, a silent question in her eyes. Jisoo gulped but gave a slight nod, her eyes fluttering closed as Rosé leaned forward. When their lips met, it was soft and cautious. But some sort of unspoken consent seemed to pass between the two of them and suddenly their lips were moving furiously, clashing against each other in a mad dance. Jisoo suddenly didn’t seem so shy and uncertain. She shifted her weight so that Rosé was slightly below her, and she brought a hand up to cup the back of Rosé’s neck and hold her closer. They ignored the burning of their lungs and prolonged the kiss as long as they could, the taste of soft flesh and lipgloss mingling with the faint taste of alcohol and the saltiness of tears that were beginning to trickle down both of their cheeks. The moment they broke the kiss, Rosé buried her face in the crook of Jisoo’s neck and Jisoo reciprocated by burying her face in Rosé’s hair. They were both crying, their bodies shaking. And it was like a nonverbal language, a bittersweet kind of comfort you can only find in someone who shares a kindred kind of pain with you.

“I don’t want to go home,” Rosé sobbed. She hadn’t realized it before, but Jennie wasn’t the only thing holding her back from returning. She was afraid that if she went back then she would lose this, the unexpected comfort that she’d found in Jisoo’s arms. For the first time ever, she felt completely safe and cared for, even in her sorrow. She felt understood, something she hadn’t even felt when she was with Jennie, and it was a feeling she didn’t want to lose. But her fears were quickly washed away when Jisoo pressed a soft kiss to her temple, the older girl’s arms tightening their hold on her.

“You don’t have to go anywhere,” the red-haired girl whispered. “You’re already home.”


Yeah I just did that. I'm actually quite proud of the way this came out.

Hope you enjoy it! Until next time!

~unsungpoet <3