VII. Knowledge is power

13 Boarding House
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
VII.             Knowledge is power

 

She was supposed to be taking her LP records and brush her cheek against the surface of them, taking in the smell of really good music and quality packaging, arranging them one after another and then carefully place them in her room so that she could enjoy the beauty of music and yet she was looking at Kyuhyun, actually looking forward to hearing exactly what did he understand. Even she did not know the full extent of what the House involved and how it worked so she was more than curious to know how he understood it. Kyuhyun did not feel intimidated by how she looked at him. If Hyukjae was right, then Sia was having a hard time dealing with him as well so he had to cut her some slack as well and hope for a moment when they could settle on a table and talk over coffee.

“I know that the House knows everything and can change rooms. The computers are an interface the House uses for quicker communication. It’s how it can track people with special abilities online. It has a lot of other abilities. Designing a room based on someone’s personality is called environment empathy.” Kyuhyun gave a few examples, remembering exactly what Leeteuk had told him when he went to his room for help with finding a job.

“Nice.” She congratulated him. “I guess he explained a bit more about angels as well.” she moved her head gently, rather surprised that he remembered such details about the House.

“Yup. I also understood that it might be hard for you to deal with me.” He adopted a more pleasant posture, even his gaze turning gentle.

“You don’t say.” She grinned, crossing her arms, leaning against the reception desk to listen even more attentively to him.

“I do.” He moved closer. “You never had to explain to anyone because everyone already knew. So you can’t help but interact with me as if I know, just like you interact with others, and it slightly frustrates you when you realize I don’t know things.” He shrugged.

“It is true.” She agreed, letting a soft sigh. “I don’t know what you might have read and what you think about things so I don’t know where to start with the explanation. Do I have to take things from scratch or only explain some things? It is frustrating.” She pursed her lips together, letting out a heavier sigh.

“I already figured that out when you explained your power as a negative mirror.” Kyuhyun chuckled, his hand reaching for her shoulder and slightly brushing against her so as to let her know it was no big deal.

“Yeah... “She didn’t look all that happy with herself as she talked. “To be honest, I don’t really understand my power all that well either. At least not enough to be able to explain it.” she puffed her cheeks, her expression turning sour and dissatisfied.

“I can relate to that.” Kyuhyun let out a heavy sigh as well. “I’m in the same pickle.” The corners of his mouth went down, moving closer to her and leaning against the counter next to her, looking just as sour.

“I know.” She shook her head, frustrated. “I am supposed to cancel powers and leave only the basic abilities. Like angels...” she moved her hand, starting to gesticulate. “They are winged creatures so they can still fly around me, showing their wings and everything. And they can always advise some people so what exactly am I cancelling? The vampire still blood around me. Even Hyukjae can still shift in his werewolf form when around me.” She slapped her hands against her knees, still shaking her head in disappointment.

“Well... an angel is supposed to have wings and be available at any given moment to give advice, right?” Kyuhyun moved his head towards her. “And the vampire needs blood to live but he probably can’t compel people, right?” he questioned.

“It’s banned anyway.” Sia let out a sigh. “What’s your explanation for the werewolf?” she sincerely asked him.

“Well... if I understood right what Hyukjae explained to me...” Kyuhyun his lips and gathered his thoughts together. “Both coexist. Hyukjae and Eunhyuk. Hyukjae is the human and Eunhyuk the wolf.  He won’t turn back into human when you are around because the wolf is an entity of itself.” He slowly spoke out, nodding at himself for thinking he came up with quite a good explanation.

“Then how do you explain shape shifters?” she pursed her lips. “When I get  within the 10 m radius of a shape shifter, the image they adopted disappears.”

“That’s why.” Kyuhyun spoke in excitement. “Hyukjae is real. Eunhyuk is real. But the shape shifter has its basic features and they simply trick others into thinking they look different. And their mind remains the same regardless of who they become. His or hers real looks are showing because the rest is appearances.”

He was now looking at her, trying to find an explanation and a way to help her understand herself even better. It looked like he was helping her figure herself out or at least how to explain about herself towards others and it was nice to be able to talk to her not just to find information. Usually, their conversations involved him asking and her explaining and that made him feel pretty useless and almost parasite like but now that they were working together towards building a conclusion, he actually felt useful, in some way contributing.

“Ah....” she smiled from one ear to the other. “So you do understand.” She tapped him on the chest, offering him a thumps up right after that.

It left Kyuhyun dumb struck and stoned to the ground as Sia returned her attention completely towards her package, not even glancing towards him as she got busy with removing the plastic bubble wrap to finally take out everything she had received. He had this really weird feel that she had just played him, pretending to be troubled and confused and needing his help to figure things out. If true, he was not just pretty useless but an easy target for her to pick on. Turning around, he hesitated a little before opening his mouth but eventually asked the important question.

“Did you just test me?” he went on with this particular choice of words since it made him feel better.

“Well...” she seemed confused. “You did claim you understood so I had to make sure.” she shrugged, continuing to undo the wrapping.

“You know...” he took a deep breath and his upper teeth, glaring at her again. “I already feel like an idiot for not knowing the things that I am supposed to know so I don’t really need to feel completely dumb.” He finally placed his hands against the counter, tilting his head to the side and looking at her.

“There is no need to feel stupid.” She stopped her hands and looked at him again. “I am fully aware that normal people can’t possibly know these things.”

Now she was starting to feel apologetic. He was not exactly calling her out but it was pretty obvious that what she did could classify as being rude. Actually, she was rude. She had grown up while being taught about the things that were happening, about the House and the creatures and people that existed out there that could do amazing things. Her mother had been a Negative as well so she grew up learning how to walk, talk, went to school with her extracurricular classes being about the supernatural. She was not angry at Kyuhyun and she was not frustrated that he did not know.

“You are right.” She turned her body towards him. “I was rude and I apologize. I have nothing against you ... I... I guess I am frustrated that there are so many myths and a lot of information out there that misguides people. One thing is to enter the House without knowing nothing about anything supernatural related and another thing is you knowing something, already believing what you heard or read and then I have to clarify everything and not just explain but even convince you to give up on what you know...” she started to feel agitated.

“It’s alright. I know.” Kyuhyun suddenly grinned, looking extremely smug.

“You...” Sia’s mouth opened wide in surprise. “You played me.” She slapped him over the shoulder.

“You started it.” Kyuhyun defended himself, gently poking her and pushing her back.

“Hey... I was just keeping the conversation going so that you wouldn’t feel weird talking for a long time as if you’re having a monologue.” She defended herself, pushing him back although with a bit more strength.

“Your kindness is much appreciated.” Kyuhyun joked, poking her in the cheek before flashing his trademark smirk.

“That’s it.” she gritted her teeth. “Give me the book back.” She reached to get it, hitting him with little strength as he tried to stop her.

It turned into a very silly fight where Sia tried to snatch the book back and Kyuhyun joggled with it, holding it above his head, then behind his back, then moving it towards the ground and to the side, making sure it was out of the way each time she reached to get it. It was making her angry and it was amusing Kyuhyun to the core and just because of that, he was not going to stop unless she did. He was not just amused; he was honestly enjoying the moment and actually being happy.

“Aren’t you two having fun.”

Both Kyuhyun and Sia stopped what they were doing when they felt a hand being placed on their shoulders. The hand was pretty big and with quite a grip and there were only a few in the house capable of such a feat and when combined with the voice, it was obvious that the creature that had seen them was none other than Kangin. Both Kyuhyun and Sia flinched and then turned around, hands untangling themselves as they returned to their own place, still glaring at each other. But Kangin was not alone. The buff man was giving them knowing looks, wiggling his eyebrows at him but there was another man, much thinner next to him, just waiting for the conversation to be over.

“What were you two doing?” Kangin asked, leaning closer to them and actually sniffing them although he did not exactly explain why.

“Let them be.” Leeteuk let out a sigh, moving past Kangin and towards the door.

“But they were having fun, Teukkie.” Kangin complained because of the nagging that had been directed at him. “I want to know.” He then smirked again and turned back to look at the two humans.

“Fine.” Leeteuk conceded. “Then we’ll leave the outing for another time.” he shrugged as he started moving back towards the staircase.

“No, no, no.” Kangin was quick to move, stopping Leeteuk before he could take another step towards the staircase.

“I guess someone else needs to story tell about what they are doing.” Sia not joked, making a clicking sound and then pressing her teeth against the middle of her tongue as she looked towards Kangin.

Kangin did not reply to that. He just glared at the two humans and then placed his hands on Leeteuk’s back and began moving the angel towards the door so that they can leave. Kyuhyun was a bit confused to see the angel and demon going together anywhere since they did not seem to be on the friendliest terms. It also looked like Sia knew another thing that he did not know and he was starting to have just about enough with being left in the dark about it. After a few seconds of feeling as if someone was looking at her, Sia finally turned to look back at Kyuhyun and noticed the big question mark written on his forehead.

“Seriously?” she questioned, finding it hard to believe he wasn’t aware of what was going on.

“I do not know a thing. Treat me like a four year old.” Kyuhyun crossed his arms, starting to look more like a mother that needed to hear an explanation from the kids otherwise a punishment would have to be decided.

“I don’t know....” Sia hesitated, crossing her arms as well, mirroring his posture.

“Seriously?” he let out a sigh as his cheeks puffed, reluctantly putting his hand over the book about ESP she had given him so that he could study more about his abilities.

“If I tell you....” she quickly moved her hand to take hold of his wrist. “You can never reveal it was me who told you.” She warned him.

“Seriously?” he chuckled this time, thinking she was exaggerating a bit.

“You....” Sia pulled him by the collar and then looked him straight in the eyes from a very close distance. “Knowledge is power.” She pointed out as her eyes narrowed. “If I am to share my precious information with you, you must never reveal the informant.”

She looked so serious about and yet what she was saying was rather funny and that left Kyuhyun uncertain as to whether she was pulling his leg yet again or being serious about him never mentioning how he got t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter