VI. Follow the werewolf

13 Boarding House
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

an all active stories update today

because i love you all  more comments =faster updates

I.             Follow the werewolf

                                                   

Glancing at the small piece of paper Sia had given him, Kyuhyun still couldn’t believe he had reached the gym where the werewolf, Lee Hyukjae, was working. That gym looked amazing and even the subscription to it must have cost a small fortune but since it was the gym his house mate was running, it had to be the location he was looking for. Standing at the entrance, he hesitated a bit before entering and now he was starting to feel as if he was misplaced there because he was not the type to exercise and everyone else was properly dressed for training while he looked more like he went out for a walk. Making his way through the machines and people being all sweaty and huffing and puffing, he made sure not to touch anything. He was wearing his gloves but one could never be too safe. Spotting the man he was looking for, he stopped next to a pillar and watched as Hyukjae sparred.

In the middle of the ring, Hyukjae was wearing a sleeveless tee and loose training pants, wearing his boxing gloves, really focused on what he was doing. Kyuhyun had thought Hyukjae was thin but under those clothes well defined muscles and toned abs were hiding. When the red haired raised the tee to wipe some sweet off, Kyuhyun could swear he saw the perfect example of how a six pack was supposed to look like. Stopping the sparing, the red haired moved to pick up a water bottle and left the boxing ring. Kyuhyun searched for him since he had lost sight of the werewolf but before he could actually go and ask someone for Hyukjae, the man appeared behind him.

“Sorry I didn’t greet you sooner. I had to finish the training.” Hyukjae gave him a gummy smile, cleaning of some of his sweat with a towel.

“You knew I was here?” Kyuhyun asked him in surprise since he had not noticed the werewolf looking at him.

“Sure. From the moment you walked inside the gym.” The reply came with a grin. “I didn’t expect you here.” He stopped what he was doing to look at Kyuhyun straight in the eyes.

“Leeteuk said you might be able to help.” Kyuhyun spoke with some uncertainty.

Hyukjae showed Kyuhyun towards a hallway and then inside a room in the back that seemed to be his office and even took a seat as the other prepared him a drink. Was it just him or was everyone really quick and welcoming with him? Were they all that polite and at their best in hosting or was it an exception since they had just met them? Accepting the drink, he waited for Hyukjae to sit down as well before he could even open the topic.

“You can speak freely, Kyuhyun. I can tell you’re nervous.” Hyukjae chuckled, placing the towel around his neck as he settled calmly against the seat of his own chair.

“I do not know how to control my powers and Leeteuk suggested you could help.” Kyuhyun spoke as he placed his cup back on the desk.

“Sure thing. With what exactly?” Hyukjae now smiled even brighter, his gums showing yet again.

Kyuhyun was not sure how exactly he was supposed to explain his dilemma. He had flashes going in front of his eyes whenever he touched something with enough emotional charge or history and he could hear voices as if someone was saying two different things at the same time or two people talked at the same time to him but right inside his head. In the end, it looked like the only way he could actually prove that he had a problem was to touch something or have someone say a lie.

“Do you have anything you seriously value?” Kyuhyun questioned, with a rather awkward smile on his face  since he was not sure if the other would agree with the intrusion.

“Ah, yes.” Hyukjae searched for something inside of his drawer. “This was given to me by a close friend.” He took out an old style looking watch, stretching his hand towards Kyuhyun so that he could take it.

“Are you sure you don’t mind? I might see things. It’s the only way to show you how it looks for those watching me when it happens.” Kyuhyun explained, needing to properly let the other know that he might intrude on personal things.

Hyukjae nodded and then leaned closer, wanting to see exactly what could happen when Kyuhyun would touch the watch. It was not easy for the brown haired to just take off his gloves and then touch something he knew for sure that it carried sentimental value. He could see anything and about anything and the lack of knowledge about what could flash in front of his eyes, only for him to see was terrifying. Even more so since he had received the object from Hyukjae with the intention of reading it; now there were expectations about it. What if he did not see anything? It was weird how even that scared Kyuhyun a little when it should have been a relief not to see. Taking the watch in his hand, it took just two seconds for the flashes to kick in. He could see fire, people talking around the fire, then the full moon and, for the first time, he actually heard something as well. There was howling and then white lights in the dark, flashes of threes in the dark going by as if someone was running through them. And the feeling was good. Neither scary, nor panicked or with a sense of urgency; there was nothing negative about it. Once the flashes finished and Kyuhyun’s vision cleared, he couldn’t help but smile. There was a feeling of lightness, happiness even that took over and it reminded Kyuhyun of how he felt when he was younger and hanged out with friends, way before his ability kicked in and started making people avoid him.

“What did you see?” Hyukjae asked, looking extremely curious and excited.

“I think I saw one of your shifting moments. Do your eyes turn white during shifting or in the darkness?” Kyuhyun tried to put together everything that he had seen so that he could make some sense of it.

“Yup. It’s pretty scary for those walking in the forests at night.” the red haired laughed, remembering moments when people shouted and ran out of fear from the woods.

“There was a camp fire and running through the woods as well.” Kyuhyun mentioned that as well, wondering if it was of any significance to the other.

“Yeah... I remember that. We are thought how to shift within the family and once we nail the transition, the group is taken to the woods. We have a campfire and wait for the full moon and then shift ... we run through the forests and we enjoy the wind and the rush of speed and how everything changes....” Hyukjae hummed, closing his eyes and recollecting that specific moment.

“How does everything change?” Kyuhyun questioned, intrigued to know more about werewolves.

“Everything is more alive. The leaves make sounds but once you are a werewolf, it sounds as loud as a voice speaking right into your ear. The sound of the river, the warmth or coldness of the water, how the wind feels, how the grass under your feet feels, everything changes.” Hyukjae explained with his eyes still closed.

“Isn’t it confusing?” Kyuhyun shook his head a little, needing to know that.

Everything changed for him as well when he touched things or when people lied to him. Even if the flashes only lasted a few seconds, it changed everything about how he felt or saw the person in front of him. Whether it was flashes or actually hearing the lie, the vibe he got from those things even changed how he would interact with that person. He wasn’t sure which of the two made more of a difference. Yes, people perhaps lied at any given moment and they could get caught with the lie at any given moment but he knew that. He could find that out without asking, without catching them in the middle of the lie and he even got to see things related to their pasts and maybe that helped make his opinion on the matter even stronger. Those people lied without hesitating once and maybe that was why he felt the need to stay away from them.

“It’s helpful. It’s real. I think your biggest problem is in dealing with the differences. Between what seems to be real and what is. What you saw... was not my memory but my friends. Since he was still wearing the watch then. What did you feel?” Hyukjae shrugged, making eye contact with the brown haired.

“Happiness. Mischievousness.” Kyuhyun thought of proper words to explain what he felt.

“Yeah... well, he had a lot of pressure since he was leading us. He was careful, looking rather confused from time to time but just like you felt now, I felt he was happy as well. Excited. Waiting for us to enjoy and to feel the world as it was.” Hyukjae moved from the chair in front of Kyuhyun to the one next to the brown haired so that he could reach the other and help him.

“I don’t get it.” Kyuhyun turned to look at the other, the confusion written all over his face.

“People show a side to themselves maybe because they are not aware of what lies deep down. Or maybe because they need to look strong. Maybe they are afraid others will spot vulnerability. Maybe because they simply need to survive. It’s their right to choose what they should show.” Hyukjae spoke in a gentle voice, is hand reaching for Kyuhyun, slightly tapping him on the hand, over the shirt.

“So what am I supposed to do when I know it’s different?” Kyuhyun bit into his lower lip, a frown curling on his forehead, his expression turning into a sad one.

“Maybe nothing. Maybe everything. You don’t have to decide when it happens. When you see those flashes, you do blank out for 2 seconds. Close your eyes or nod your head as if you are approving in the conversation. Let time pass and if you feel something is wrong, then act upon it.” Hyukjae tilted his head to the side, pursing his lips together and letting out a soft smile, not really liking the disappointed, sad look on the brown haired’s face.

“It’s right in front of me.” Kyuhyun took air in his lungs. “Some flashes are short, some are long...” he began to look distraught, even fidgeting in his chair.

“You try to make sense of them as you see them. Let them just happen.” Hyukjae leaned into the chair, shrugging his shoulder. “You can think about them later.” He tapped Kyuhyun’s hand again.

“I don’t know if I can....” Kyuhyun bit in the corner of his lips, leaning against the seat of his chair, sigh after sigh escaping his mind. “How do I deal with the voices then?”

“You know...” Hyukjae chuckled a bit. “I am Hyukjae, the wolf is Eunhyuk but both are me. We rely on different things to function: logic and instinct; but we are always in contact. That’s how I get to sense you the moment you enter the room without actually seeing you. Eunhyuk is telling me you came. I can either lose focus on what I am doing or look, or wait and stop before I look. When I am in wolf form, if I sense danger, I am supposed to attack. But the logic still gets through and has the wolf stop and wait for a bit, assessing if there is real danger or not.”

“So it’s about timing and flow?” Kyuhyun turned is head towards Hyukjae, wondering how he was supposed to achieve that.

“Yes. There are tools that can help you. Pick a pen and a paper and write what you hear while still looking at the person. It would look as if you are taking note, right?” Hyukjae gave it a thought, scratching the back of his nape.

“I never thought about that.” The younger one moved further towards the edge of the chair, seriously consider the suggestion. “I could work on letting things just happen and the paper could help.” He then looked towards the ground, trying to figure out where and how he could test that.

“You need to just let things happen. If you see something, let it happen and then with the first opportunity, put the words down and remember it. If you hear something, write it down and go over it after that. There is no need to deal with it as it happens.” Hyukjae began smiling again, sensing how the other began relaxing.

“Is that how you deal with it?” Kyuhyun chuckled as well, still amazed that people he had just met were so eager to help him out.

“I can sense a lot of things, Kyuhyun.  How tense someone is, if they relax or not, how fast their heartbeat is, if a certain muscle contracts so that he or she can make a run for it. When the smell changes or even the slightest change in body temperature. If I were to deal with everything at the same time, I would shift and then hide in the forest and never leave my comfort area. So yeah....” he la

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter