Chapter 2

Stockholm Syndrome, Politics, and Everything in Between

“That’s just so weird. How can that man disappear just like that?”, Hanbin complained in his shared station with Jinhwan as Jinhwan reads the newspaper.

“Look, it’s already over. We need to focus on what we have to do now.”, Jinhwan casually replied.

“But, it’s just… It doesn’t make sense. I’m 110% sure I hit him.”, Hanbin continued complaining.

Jinhwan sighs, “Alright, fine. Why don’t you investigate, Sherlock?”.

Hearing Jinhwan being unsupportive, Hanbin goes outside in annoyance. He walks around Chanwoo’s house, before he notices something unusual. Chanwoo always opens the curtain of his room’s window every morning, but today he doesn’t.


Junhoe wakes up due to the bright sunlight entering his eyes. As soon as he opens his eyes, he vehemently springs up from the bed.

“You’re awake, finally.”, Chanwoo calmly commented.

“What? You!? Why… What happened?”, Junhoe asked, reasonably confused.

Chanwoo sighs. “I saved you. Otherwise, who knows what’ll my dad do to you if the guards caught you.”

“But… But why? I’m your enemy.”

Hearing that, Chanwoo stares into Junhoe’s eyes, and fiercely answers, “I don’t have enemies. I don’t want to have enemies.”. Surprised by the sudden fierceness, Junhoe finds himself unable to answer. Chanwoo then continues, “Anyway, eat this.”, and gives Junhoe a bowl of porridge. “Once you’re done eating, you’ll leave.”

Junhoe only stares curiously at the bowl. “What? You don’t trust me?”, Chanwoo asked. He then grabs the spoon and take a mouthful himself, “See. This isn’t poisoned.”.

Seeing that, Junhoe seizes the spoon from Chanwoo’s hand, and starts eating. While eating, he asks, “How am I supposed to leave this place?”.

“Can’t you just, teleport away or something?”, Chanwoo replied. Junhoe just stares at Chanwoo for a while, prodding Chanwoo to ask another question, “Do you know how to teleport?”.

“Well, I did it once. But I don’t… really have a license.”

“Oh! You failed your teleportation class.”

Junhoe almost spits his porridge out hearing Chanwoo’s bluntness. “What?”, Chanwoo asked, “Failure is just a normal part of life.”. He then walks toward the window, opens the curtain a little, and stares outside. When he looks outside, he sees Hanbin staring at his room. When Hanbin notices Chanwoo is looking at him, he dashes off.

“Thanks to you, my father is increasing security here. You’re not going to get out just like that.”

“But they didn’t see my face, right?”, Junhoe asked.

“Well, a stranger suddenly walking inside the house is suspicious enough.”

“How did you get me here?”, Junhoe continued asking. Hearing the question, Chanwoo takes out a pouch bag. “My bag is charmed. I can fit you inside this.”

He continues, “But I did that because you’re unconscious. Being inside multidimensional pocket while awake is not a pleasant experience.”.

Before Junhoe can replies, however, a knock can be heard from the door. “Chanwoo, are you there?”. It’s Hanbin!


After a while, Chanwoo finally opens the door, “Umm… Yes? How can I help you, Hanbin?”. When the door opens, Hanbin takes a careful look at Chanwoo’s bedroom. There is no one there, except Chanwoo, but he does notices an empty bowl.

“Are you ok? Is there something… unusual?”, Hanbin asked.

“No… Why?”

“You usually open your curtain in the morning. But I noticed you didn’t do it this morning.”

Chanwoo stays silent for a while, taken aback by Hanbin’s scarily precise observation. He then collects his mind, and answers, “Oh, yeah. I’m not feeling so good this morning. Probably from too much running yesterday.”

“What? Are you still sick now?”, Hanbin asked worriedly as he presses his palm on Chanwoo’s forehead.

“Yeah, I’m ok now.”

Obviously, Hanbin does not detect any trace of sickness on Chanwoo’s face, so he continues his investigation. “Did you… eat your breakfast in your room?”, Hanbin asked again, pointing at the empty bowl. “You don’t usually do that.”

“Oh, that… Well, I wasn’t feeling well, right? So, I asked the maid to bring me my breakfast.”

“I see…”, Hanbin replied, trying to hide his suspicion. “Alright, take care. I’ll return to my post.”, Hanbin said, much to Chanwoo’s relief.

But, of course, he doesn’t return to his post. Instead, he goes to the kitchen. “Did Chanwoo asked you to bring him food this morning?”, he asked the maid.

“Eh? No. Master Chanwoo went down like usual and make his breakfast himself. He then brought it to his room.”

“I see. Thanks.”

That confirmed it. Chanwoo is hiding something. And Hanbin’s pretty sure he knows what it is.


Chanwoo hurriedly leaves his room, dashing off towards the main gate of his big house. “Wait, wait! Where are you going?”, Chanwoo’s dad asked.

Chanwoo is shocked by his dad sudden appearances, but he turns around and calmly replies, “To practice. In the concert hall.”

“But someone just blasted the wall open yesterday. Besides, you haven’t eaten your breakfast yet, have you?”

“I had my breakfast, dad.”

“Still, why the rush? Come here and accompany my breakfast. You know this is the only time we get to talk in the weekdays.”

“Dad, we had breakfast together every day. Besides, I can’t wait to test my new arrangement. You said you want to prepare another concert, right?”

“Ah, that… But can’t you wait? After all, 30 minutes of your practice time isn’t much.”

Seeing his dad insistence, Chanwoo finally walks toward his dad, and gives his dad a hug. “Look, dad. I know you really care about me, and I also really care about you. But I’m doing this for mom too. I know that she will be happy looking at me joyfully practicing her arts.”

Hearing that, his dad smiles and finally gives up. He gives a pat on Chanwoo’s shoulder, “Alright, alright. Go ahead and practice. But… don’t you think some guard should accompany you? You know, after yesterday?”

“No need, dad. I know how to protect myself.”

“But…”

“Look, dad. Just have your breakfast, and go to work like usual. I’m a capable man, no need to worry over me.”

His dad sighs, “Ok, if you say so. Be careful, ok?”

Chanwoo nods and turns around to leave, secretly relieved that his dad finally lets him go. As soon as he gets outside, he dashes toward the general direction of the concert hall, but changes direction midway and enter an alley. When he’s deep enough inside the alley, he takes out his pouch bag, and pulls Junhoe out.

“Finally! Multidimensional pocket sure feels weird!”

Ignoring Junhoe’s comment, Chanwoo turns around, ready to leave, “You need to get away as quick as you can. And we shall never meet again.”

“Hey, hey. Wait a minute. Please!”

Although annoyed, Chanwoo still gives Junhoe time. “What?”, he turns around. But, as soon as he turns around, Junhoe shoots a spell right at Chanwoo’s face.