Chapter 1

Stockholm Syndrome, Politics, and Everything in Between

Music. Even wizards love music.

That’s what always run in Chanwoo’s head when he swings his wand in the air, forming a magical symphony that always bring a delight to everyone’s ears.

Their bright expression, their shining eyes, the way their faces become mesmerized. But, ultimately, he is doing this for himself.


“Your show is always as good as usual! I’m so proud of you! That is such a magnificent way to finish your tour.”, Chanwoo’s dad said, standing proud with a huge smile in front of his son. Chanwoo stops sipping his water, and looks up from his chair to meet his dad’s eyes. “Thanks, dad.”, he said.

“I can’t wait to prepare your next concert!”, his dad continued. Meanwhile, Chanwoo can only reply with a smile. Chanwoo can only keep his desire for a break to himself.

“Umm… Dad? Could you leave me alone for a while? I need some time for myself.”

“Yes, yes. Of course, my son.”, his dad said, quickly making way to the door. Just before he leaves, his dad said, “Once again, I’m so proud of you.”

After his dad left, Chanwoo sighs. He stands up and walks slowly around the backstage, circling around the chairs and make-up stalls, then he sighs again. He isn’t so sure what makes him do this. As far as he can remember, he was taught how to do this magical-symphony-thing by his late mother, which was a composer. And before he knows it, he already stood on stages performing for all eyes to see.

When he finishes his contemplation, and returns to reality, he walks toward his bag and picks it up, ready to leave. However, as he picks up his bag, a few notes sheets fell to the floor. He stares at the sheets, before bending down to pick them up. But, as he bends down, he heard a loud explosion from the wall across him.

Someone just busted the wall open. And it’s not a good sign, isn’t it?

Chanwoo quickly picks up the sheets and starts running away. Whoever that busted that wall is after him, judging from how he bombards Chanwoo with offensive spells.

Fortunately, Chanwoo is quite good at dodging. And he is a fast-runner too.

He runs to the exit as quick as he can, and when he outside, he starts shouting for help.

From a distance, his father sees Chanwoo being chased by an unknown man. “What are you guys doing? Help him!”, he shouted towards his two guards, Hanbin and Jinhwan. Immediately, they run towards Chanwoo, while taking out their own wands and start throwing spells at the chaser.

Seeing his dad’s guards, Chanwoo tries running towards them, but his chaser is a skilful man. He uses a spell to blasts Chanwoo to a wall, and then another spell to drag him towards him.

Luckily, Chanwoo knows how to transform into a bird. Just before his chaser could catch him, Chanwoo turns into a bird and flies toward an alley.

Seeing that, his chaser dashes toward the same alley, but, just before he can enter, Hanbin blasts him, impelling him into the alley.

The chaser violently drops down to the ground, unconscious. Seeing his chaser went down, Chanwoo transforms back into human and stares at him. His chaser is wearing all-black, and his mask makes him impossible to identify.

“He’s inside!”, Jinhwan shouted from outside the alley. Hearing the shout, Chanwoo stares at the alley’s entrance.


“Where is he?”, Jinhwan asked as soon as he sees Chanwoo.

“He gets away…”, Chanwoo replied, out of breath, hands holding his knees while looking on the ground.

“But… That’s impossible. I’m sure my spell hit him.”, Hanbin protested.

“Well, he is not here. Maybe he teleports away or something.”, Chanwoo replied, this time looking up to see the two perplexed guards.

Soon, his dad catches up with them. “Chanwoo, are you ok!?”, he asked.

“Yes, dad. I’m fine.”

“Where is the man?”, Chanwoo’s dad asked his two guards. They can only look at their boss silently, with a look that somewhat resembles regret. Finally, Chanwoo breaks the silent, “He got away.”.

“Well, it doesn’t matter. The most important thing is you’re safe.”, his dad said while approaching Chanwoo. He then turns around to face his guards, “Increase the security around the house. Make sure nothing suspicious is happening.”. Hearing his command, the two guards leave to carry the order.

“Let’s go home, shall we?”