Chapter 5

Stockholm Syndrome, Politics, and Everything in Between

The following morning, the first thing that Chanwoo heard is that Junhoe is now his personal bodyguard. Almost choking on his breakfast, Chanwoo stares back and forth between his dad and Junhoe, which make Junhoe throws a wink at him.

“I see.”, Chanwoo said when he regained his composure. “I don’t see any problem with that.”

“Excellent!”, his dad exclaimed. “Now, I’ll have to leave early. I have some important matters to attend to. You two just eat your breakfast like usual, and when you’re done, Chanwoo, could you give Junhoe a city tour?”

Chanwoo stares at his dad, unable to comprehend how a smart man like him cannot see Junhoe’s evil plan. Regardless, a dutiful son like him cannot refuse his dad’s reasonable request. “Sure, dad.”

As soon as his dad leaves, Chanwoo starts interrogating Junhoe. “What did you do to him?”

“Nothing! He asked me first to become your bodyguard.”

Chanwoo sighs, “That’s not unthinkable of him… Come now. I’ll show you the city.”.

“You see, I’ve been lurking in this city for quite some time. I don’t actually need a city tour.”

“In that case, I’ll just show you around the house and introduce you to the other guards.”

“Ok, fair enough.”

They leave the dining room and start taking a walk around the house. In the middle of their tour, they are greeted by Hanbin.

“Oh, this is Hanbin, one of my dad’s guard, and also my childhood friend.”, Chanwoo introduced Hanbin to Junhoe.

“Ah, this must be the heroic Junhoe that everyone’s talking about.”, Hanbin responded sarcastically with a forced smile.

Junhoe stares at Hanbin’s face. Somehow, there is a sense of familiarity with him. Then, he realized Hanbin was the one that knocked him out before. “And you must be Hanbin. I’ve heard a lot about your skill.”, Junhoe replied in an equally sarcastic tone and equally forced smile.

“Oh, really? Did Chanwoo talk about me?”, Hanbin replied again, further intensifying the tension.

“Not really. I’m just being kind, don’t take it seriously.”, Junhoe threw another retort, throwing away all the nice façade.

“Ah… You sound like a nice person. I can probably knock you out with one spell.”, this time, Hanbin successfully stabbed Junhoe’s pride.

Meanwhile, Chanwoo just stands there, looking back and forth between the two bickering guys. He obviously senses the tension, but decides not to make a big deal out of it. Nonetheless, it’s still not a pleasant situation to be in. So, he decides to escape.

“Now that you’re here, I think you can take over my job. I’ll be off to practice my new composition.”, Chanwoo said to Hanbin. Before Hanbin can reply, Chanwoo already dashes off. Hence, Hanbin reluctantly takes the role.

“You know what. I don’t need a tour. I’ll just go with Chanwoo. I’m his personal bodyguard, after all.”, Junhoe said, heavily emphasizing the ‘personal’ part. However, Hanbin blocks Junhoe’s way just before he could leave. “Nope, can’t do. Don’t get cocky, ‘hero’.”

When he’s sure Chanwoo is far enough, Hanbin then pushes Junhoe to a wall, “I know you were the one that kidnap him! And I don’t know what you did to make him this nice to you, but I won’t let you get away with it!”.

“Oh, is that a threat?”

“No, it’s a warning.”

Gathering his energy, Junhoe pushes Hanbin back. “Let see… What if I say I kissed him last night?”

“You… You what!?”, Hanbin shouted, showing a half-shocked-half-angry expression.

“Hah, you’re so predictable! So, is all this just for that? You’re jealous and want to ‘protect’ him from me. Let me tell you, he’s mine already.”

“Can’t say that for sure. And, just for your note, I’ll protect him from people like you anytime.”, Hanbin said, ending their conversation as he furiously stomps away.

Seeing Hanbin walks away, Junhoe takes a deep breath and relaxes his tense muscle. He really wants to go to Chanwoo right now, but it’s probably better for him to just calm himself down. Hence, he decides to go to his room, before remembering that he needs to move his stuff to Chanwoo’s room. Oh, right! Chanwoo’s dad forgot to mention anything about him moving to Chanwoo’s room.


Hanbin takes a big sip out of his water bottle, trying to ignore the flaming jealousy that he feels. When he feels that he has calmed down, he decides to visit Chanwoo.

The concert hall is empty, just like it always is when there’s no concert. There is only Chanwoo and his graceful melody. When Chanwoo notices Hanbin, he stops performing and steps down the stage to approach Hanbin.

“Why are you here? Are you done with the tour?”, Chanwoo asked.

“Yeah. I reckon he has learnt enough.”

They fall silence for a while, prodding Chanwoo to take a seat at a random chair, and Hanbin to sit next to him.

Hanbin sighs, “Do you still remember?”, he asked. “Back when you’re 8, your mother would stands there trying to teach you how to do silly songs.”

Chanwoo quietly laughs at the comments, “You’re still calling my arrangement ‘silly songs’?”.

“Well, it’s not like there is a better name for it.”

Chanwoo takes a deep breath and closes his eyes, trying to remember. “And you would sit there, right in the front, and watched me crying because I just couldn’t get it right.”

Hanbin can’t help but laugh, “You’re such a cry-baby!”

“No, I’m not!”

“Yes, you are.”

“Whatever!”

Hanbin sighs again, “I know Junhoe is your kidnapper…”.

Chanwoo was taken aback by Hanbin’s abrupt comment. He stares at Hanbin for a while, before replying, “I… I see…”.

They fall silence again.

Chanwoo tries to break the silence, “Can you…”

“Keep it a secret?”, Hanbin asked, completing Chanwoo’s sentence before him.

Chanwoo nods.

“Why? For what? Why are you doing this?”

“I…”, Chanwoo found himself unable to answer. He knows what the answer is, but he doesn’t know how to tell him properly. Somehow, there is a fear. Fear that their friendship will never be the same again if Hanbin knows.

“Chanwoo, look at me.”, Hanbin said as he tilts Chanwoo head so that they’re facing each other, staring at each other’s eyes.

Then, without a warning, Hanbin kisses Chanwoo…

Chanwoo lets Hanbin’s lips linger on his lips for a while… But… It doesn’t… It doesn’t feel… right…

Hence, he backs away. “Sorry…”, Chanwoo said. He then quickly stands up and tries to leave, but Hanbin grabs his hand and holds him back.

“Hanbin… Please… Don’t.”, Chanwoo pleaded. But Hanbin still holds his hand in silence.

Finally, Chanwoo transforms into a bird and fly away, leaving Hanbin, and a trace of tear in the corner of his eyes.


Meanwhile, in a city a few miles away, a man in his late 40 is stamping furiously. He stomps around the room, scolding his underlings for their inability to capture Chanwoo.

In the corner of the room, Yunhyeong just stares at the event in front of me, with Donghyuk next to him, caressing his shoulder in an attempt to comfort him. Nobody dares interrupt Yunhyeong’s father when he’s angry.

After a while, Yunhyeong’s dad finally calms down. He takes a sit on the biggest chair in the middle of the room, and tells his underlings to scram off. Then, Yunhyeong gathers his courage and decides to confront his father.

“Father, why do we have to do all this? Can’t we just live normally like any other family?”

“This again!? How many times do I have to tell you this? I’m a man with ambition. My old friend has failed me, but I won’t let that stop me.”

“But, father…”

“Enough! Leave!”

Yunhyeong stares viciously at his father, unable to believe his father’s stubbornness. Alas, he cannot do anything about it, so he turns around and furiously bolts away. Donghyuk calmly follows him.

Yunhyeong heads straight to his room and jumps on his bed, while Donghyuk tries to catch up with him. Yunhyeong then buries his head on his pillow, and Donghyuk sits on the floor in front of him.

“You know your dad is just that kind of person.”, Donhyuk tried to comfort Yunhyeong. But Yunhyeong doesn’t reply.

Donghyuk sighs. He tries again, “Do you want to eat anything? Or maybe something to drink?”.

“Help me.”, Yunhyeong finally said.

“Hmm? Help you what?”

Yunhyeong then looks up to face Donghyuk, “Help me find this Chanwoo boy. We need to warn him.”


That night, Chanwoo is just relaxing in his room when Junhoe suddenly barges in.

“What do you want?”, Chanwoo casually asked.

“I’m sleeping here from tonight.”

Chanwoo blinks a few times, making sure that he heard that right… “What!?”

“You heard that right. I’m sleeping here from tonight. Your dad forgot to mention it this morning.”, Junhoe explained, already taking his bed out from his multidimensional bag.

Chanwoo sighs. “You kissed me last night and today we sleep in the same room… Fine, whatever… You take care of your stuff. I’ll go down stair and make a cup of tea for myself.”, he said as he leaves.

When he comes back with a cup of tea on his hand, the room arrangement has changed. Previously, there is a nightstand next to his bed. Now, Junhoe’s bed lies right next to his bed, and the nightstand is now next to Junhoe’s bed.

“What did you…?”, Chanwoo asked Junhoe. Junhoe, who is reading a book on his bed, says nothing. Instead, he pats the empty spot next to him A.K.A Chanwoo’s bed, and gives Chanwoo a wink.

“We are not having on the first day.”, Chanwoo declared with a thin blush.

“Why not?”, Junhoe innocently asked.

“Why not!? Because, no! Just no!”

“And why is that?”

Chanwoo sighs again. “Urgh… I’ll just… I’ll take some fresh air.”, he said, putting his cup of tea on the nightstand and leaves the room.

“You’re just shy!”, Junhoe proclaimed as Chanwoo leaves. When he’s sure Chanwoo is far enough, he takes his bag and produces a bottle of pink vial. Turns out he was reading a book about magical potions! Specifically, he was reading the page about aphrodisiac.

“Let see. It says here, three drops for a normal sized cup. Well, I’m sure more won’t hurt.”, he said to himself as he put way more than three drops into Chanwoo’s cup; he’s not even counting.

“Voila. Now let’s wait for the magic.”

Oh, Junhoe, did I mention that you’re a genius?