Chapter 6

Stockholm Syndrome, Politics, and Everything in Between

One weekend, Chanwoo’s house gets a visit from mysterious guests.

“Excuse me, this is Chanwoo’s lodging, am I correct?”

“Yes. But Chanwoo is currently away. I am his dad. How can I help you?”

“Ah! You’re his father. Then you must be familiar with this.”, the man shows Chanwoo’s dad his insignia.

“You! What do you want here!?”, Chanwoo’s dad exclaimed as he quickly takes his wand out.

“Whoa! Calm down! I’m Yunhyeong, your old friend’s son.”

“You are… his son!?”

“Yes. And I’m here to warn you about his plan. This is Donghyuk, by the way.”, Yunhyeong said as he introduced Donghyuk, who just smiles at Chanwoo’s dad.

“And why should I trust you?”

Yunhyeong sighs. He then takes his wand out and offers it to Chanwoo’s dad. “Here. We’re weaponless now.”

Chanwoo’s dad just stares at the wands, before deciding to take it. “Fine. Go inside, we’ll talk in private.”

 

“Your father… He is a strong man.”, Chanwoo’s dad explained as he sips his glass of wine. “He has a strong ambition… to change the whole system.”

“Yeah, we’re familiar with that.”, Yunhyeong commented.

“Unfortunately, or fortunately, I can say, he failed to become a politician. But he won’t stop there. He asked me to takes a part in his plan; he tried to arrange a hostile takeover. Initially, due to our longstanding friendship, I agreed. Thankfully, I realized how absurd his plan was and betrayed him halfway through. I think he still cannot get over my betrayal.”

“And, surprise, surprise, he is still trying to create another hostile takeover.”

“That sounds just like him.”, Chanwoo’s dad agreed.

“And now you’re a successful governor, his first target is you, and your city.”

“And he targeted Chanwoo so he can threaten me?”

“No, as far as I know, no. You may remember, I lost my mother just after your betrayal.”

“Ah… That’s…”, Chanwoo’s dad looks down in regret.

“He is still blaming you for that, and try to revenge her death. However, your wife already passed away, so he wants to take away your next most precious thing: Chanwoo.”

Chanwoo’s dad sighs. He then continues, “Fortunately, he failed at kidnapping my son. Thanks to that young lad.”

“Hmm? To my knowledge, my dad hired someone else to kidnapped Chanwoo. I recalled his underling said that the man handed Chanwoo over, but betrayed them midway and retrieved Chanwoo back.”

“That’s… not what Junhoe told me.”, Chanwoo’s dad stares at Yunhyeong in shock.

“I’m smelling something fishy here…”, Donghyuk commented quietly.

Chanwoo’s dad then stands up and leaves. He decides to confront Junhoe directly.


Junhoe is just sitting there in the front row, watching Chanwoo’s practice, enjoying the beautiful melody that comes out of his wand. When Chanwoo finished his practice, he approaches Junhoe. “That should be it for today. We can leave now.”

Junhoe smirks at Chanwoo. “Why the hurry? Why not sit down first and take a break?”, he teased, knowing what’s the state of Chanwoo’s behind.

“I can’t. It’s hurt…”

Junhoe tries to hold it back, but can’t help but laugh his heart out at Chanwoo’s words.

“You…”, Chanwoo said with a full-blown blush. “It’s because of you, you know!”

Junhoe ignores Chanwoo’s protest and continues laughing. However, his fun is cut short when Chanwoo’s dad comes barging in the concert hall with his guards and two unfamiliar man.

“Junhoe, we need to talk!”, he shouted.

Uh oh… Junhoe already gets a feeling what’s going to happen next.

“You! You lied to me, didn’t you! You were the one that tried to kidnap Chanwoo that night! And you were the one that kidnapped him that day too!”

“Whoa… Calm down…”, Junhoe tried to appease Chanwoo’s dad’s anger, to no avail.

However, before Chanwoo’s dad can say anything else, a firebolt suddenly appears from the corner. “Look out!”, Jinhwan shouted as he casts a protection spell just in time.

“They’re already here!?”, Yunhyeong shouted in surprise.

Chanwoo’s dad panics. He then grabs Junhoe’s shoulders and says to him, “Look, I don’t care what you did. Just keep Chanwoo safe.”

“That goes without saying.”, Junhoe exclaimed as he grabs Chanwoo’s hand and dashes off to safety. Seeing them went together, Hanbin decides to follow them.

When they got outside, they realize that the enemies are a lot more than they expected. To be fair, you can’t have a hostile takeover with just a handful of men.

“This way.”, Junhoe pointed out, still dragging Chanwoo with him. They dodge all the spells that come to them, up until they reach an intersection. The enemies are cornering them from all direction!

Hanbin finally catches up with them. As they see all the men coming to get them, Chanwoo panics, “What should we do?”.

Junhoe, while still trying to calm his breath, offers his hands and says, “Come with me.”.

However, Hanbin next to him also do the same; he offers his hands and says, “No. Come with me.”.

Such a difficult choice, so little time. Chanwoo observes his surrounding before deciding that… There’s no time for a love affair. He transforms into a bird and flies upward, gracefully dodging all the spells that try to strike him down.

“No, wait!”, Junhoe and Hanbin said simultaneously. Now that Chanwoo has escaped, the men’s attentions are fully focused on Junhoe and Hanbin.

“What’re we gonna do now?”, Hanbin asked Junhoe.


Meanwhile, in the backstage of the concert hall, Yunhyeong’s father has successfully cornered and disarmed Chanwoo’s dad.

“Hello, old friend.”, Yunhyeong’s father addressed Chanwoo’s dad.

“You don’t have to do this! Can’t you see! This is wrong!”

“Oh, look. Now the prey is begging for clemency. No! You took everything away from me, and now I’ll take everything away from you!”, Yunhyeong’s father declared, pointing his wand at Chanwoo’s dad, ready to finish him.

“No, father!”, Yunhyeong interrupted, throwing a spell that make his father lose his balance and falls. But, his father just laughs and calmly stands up.

“You foolish son! Can’t you see what we could achieve together. But no matter. You’ve betrayed me. And now, you’ll not be a part of the new world that I’ll create.”

His father quickly rises his wand, aiming at Yunhyeong. Yunhyeong wants to fight back, but he still doesn’t have the heart to attack his father. In the end, he just closes his eyes, ready for whatever that will come next.

But that thing never come. Instead, his father drops to the floor, lifeless. Behind him, Donghyuk can be seen, breathing heavy breath as his wand emits a thin mist, remnant of the spell that just killed Yunhyeong’s father.

“I’m sorry… I… I have to do it…”, Donghyuk said with regret, looking down, not having the courage to meet Yunhyeong in the eye.

Seeing the event that just unfolded in front of him, Yunhyeong’s legs suddenly feel weak. He falls to the ground and starts sobbing.