Chapter 4

Stockholm Syndrome, Politics, and Everything in Between

They arrive back at Chanwoo’s house after about two days. However, they don’t need to actually get inside Chanwoo’s house to meet his dad; Chanwoo’s dad already run to meet him as soon as he heard from one of his guard about Chanwoo.

“Chanwoo! I’m so glad you’re safe!”, Chanwoo’s dad said as he run to hug Chanwoo. “Oh, Chanwoo. Don’t ever do this to me again. You’re the only that I have after your mom passed away. From now on, I insist on having a guard protect you!”

“Calm down, dad. It’s all thanks to this man. He saved me from my kidnappers.”, Chanwoo said, trying to introduce Junhoe to his dad.

Chanwoo’s dad shift his attention toward Junhoe, “Thank you! Thank you so much! Tell me what do you want as a return. I shall grant you anything!”

Junhoe gets flustered a bit, “Well, I’m a simple man. I came from a poor background… So, you know…”.

“Ah, that’s easy to arrange! But first, come with me. Let us have a meal together! You need to tell me your heroic story!”, Chanwoo’s dad said as he drags Junhoe into the house.

From a distance, all the guards, including Hanbin, are looking at the joyful event. However, he can’t help but feel a bit of suspicion… Well, a lot of suspicion, toward this Junhoe guy.


“It’s just a coincidence, really! I was there for a business when I saw Chanwoo getting dragged away by some mysterious men.”, Junhoe said, trying to keep his lies as realistic as possible. Well, the part where he saved Chanwoo is mostly truth, but the part that came before that needs to be… manipulated.

“Anyway, do you know who tries to kidnap my precious Chanwoo?”, Chanwoo’s dad asked Junhoe.

“Umm… Not really. I don’t really know who they are.”, Junhoe truthfully replied.

“Oh, but I found this insignia on one of their clothing.”, Chanwoo interrupted and show his dad an insignia. Junhoe was surprised; when did he get the chance to grab that off them, he asked himself. But Chanwoo’s dad is even more surprised by what his kid just shown him. He takes the insignia and stares at it.

“Dad? What’s wrong?”

Chanwoo’s voice bring his dad back to reality. “No... Nothing. Let us continue. Where were we?”


When they finished their meal, Chanwoo’s dad insisted that Junhoe stay with them for a night, saying that Junhoe must be tired with all the travelling. Unable to refuse, Junhoe decided to accept the proposal. Hence, Chanwoo goes to the guest room with Junhoe, tidying up the room for him.

After they left, Chanwoo’s dad goes into his own room, and slowly walks to his bookshelf. His finger goes through all the different books, before stopping at a photobook. He picks it up and opens it, looking at the photo from his childhood with a best friend of his. He then pulls out the insignia that Chanwoo’s gave him, and compares it to the one in the photo.

There’s no mistaking it. He’s the one that tried to kidnap Chanwoo.


Chanwoo is just quietly preparing the guest room for Junhoe, when Junhoe suddenly asks, “You lied, right?”

“Eh? What?”, Chanwoo was taken aback by the sudden question.

“When you said you can’t teleport. You lied, right?”, Junhoe continued.

Chanwoo smirks, “And what make you think so?”.

Junhoe then pulls Chanwoo and push him towards the closed door, sandwiching Chanwoo between the door and himself. “I don’t think… I feel.”, Junhoe said.

Their eyes meet each other in a stare. “And why? Why should I lie?”, Chanwoo asked, although he himself knows the answer.

“Because… Because you want to spend time with me.”, Junhoe answered correctly while keeping their stare; if anything, their stare is getting more intense. Finally, Junhoe pulls the bravery to kiss Chanwoo. And Chanwoo doesn’t fight back.

They stand there just like that for a while, lips softly touching, before they hear a knock on the door. Chanwoo quickly pushes Junhoe away and opens the door.

“Did I interrupt anything?”, it’s Chanwoo’s dad.

“No, dad. Do you want to talk with Junhoe?”

“Not if I’m interrupting.”

“I’m about to leave myself. Please, just do what you wanted to do.”, Chanwoo said as he excuses himself. Junhoe can only stares at Chanwoo’s back, feeling a bit salty that Chanwoo’s dad needs to interrupt his first kiss. But, Chanwoo’s dad quickly takes a seat next to Junhoe and starts talking.

“How’s the room? It’s a bit shabby, but I hope you like it.”

“Oh, yes. Of course, It’s much better than my room.”

“Umm… Here’s the prize money that I promised you.”, Chanwoo’s dad said as he hands over a bag to Junhoe.

“Ok. Thanks, I guess.”

“Umm… Can I… I have a favour to ask.”, Chanwoo’s dad continued.

“Yes, what is it?”

“You seems skilled. The men that tried to kidnap Chanwoo, they’re not just any ordinary men. The fact that you could beat them means that you’re capable to protect Chanwoo.”

“So… Are you saying…?”

“I want to hire you… as Chanwoo’s personal bodyguard.”

Junhoe is surprised by the sudden proposal; he doesn’t even know how to feel about it.

“Money is not a problem; just tell me your prize! I need you, because I know my guards won’t be enough to handle what’s coming next.”

Talking about guards, Junhoe is reminded by that guard that knocked him unconscious with one spell. If anything, there should be enough guards here. But, he won’t miss this opportunity.

“I will be glad to take that position.”, Junhoe finally replied.

Chanwoo’s dad visibly brightens up hearing Junhoe’s acceptance. “I know you will agree! Great, I’ll tell you the detail tomorrow! For now, just take a good rest.”, Chanwoo’s dad said happily as he tries to leave the room.

“Oh… One thing!”, Junhoe halts Chanwoo’s dad. “I think… it might be better if I sleep in the same room as Chanwoo.”, Junhoe shyly said.

“Wait… What?”, Chanwoo’s dad is obviously surprised.

“I mean, think about it. What if they come at night to kidnap Chanwoo. Someone needs to be there to protect him, right?”, Junhoe continued.

“Well, that’s… I need to ask Chanwoo about that first.”

“You don’t have to. Chanwoo’s safety is the priority, right? Besides, you told him that you will assign him a guard, right? I’m sure he’ll understand!”, Junhoe insisted.

“But this is a little bit…”

Junhoe sighs. “Alright, I understand… I just don’t want to make you risk losing him again.”, Junhoe said while looking down at the floor, pretending to be dejected.

Chanwoo’s dad finally gives in, “You know what. I’ll let you sleep in his room… from tomorrow. I’ll tell Chanwoo tomorrow morning. I’m sure he’ll understand.”

Junhoe looks up and beams a big smile. “I know you’ll understand! Don’t worry, I’ll let no harm befall your child!”, Junhoe said passionately.

Oh, Junhoe, you’re a genius.