Chapter 7

Stockholm Syndrome, Politics, and Everything in Between

Following Yunhyeong’s father’s death, his underlings quickly scatter, and hence, his coup d’état failed.

The cost is not small, however, as a major part of the city now needs to be repaired, and there are some fatalities as well.

After the battle, Chanwoo is sitting on the lawn in front of his house, staring at the house. Some parts of it are wrecked, including his room, but nothing that can’t be fixed in a day or two.

Hanbin and Junhoe approach him.

“So, you two survived?”, Chanwoo calmly asked.

“Why did you sound like you want us death?”, Junhoe retorded.

Chanwoo smirks at the comment, “Maybe… It might be better that way. Rather than having to choose.”

Hearing Chanwoo’s melancholic comment, Hanbin realizes, maybe it’s better if he just gives up. He knows he doesn’t have a chance, but it doesn’t stop him from trying anyway. But, he now knows that it’s hurting Chanwoo.

He sits down next to Chanwoo, “Don’t be like that… I give up.”.

“What? Did you just say…”, Junhoe asked in surprise.

“Yeah. I give up. I don’t have a chance to begin with. It’s better if I just leave you two to your own business.”, Hanbin said while standing up. He then stares at Chanwoo for a while, then at Junhoe, smiling at him that indicates his approval. When he’s ready, he turns around and walks away.

“Hey, Hanbin.”, Chanwoo stops him. “We’re still friend, right?”

Hanbin turns around, facing Chanwoo with a smile, “Yes, of course. That will never change.”. He then continues walking away.

Junhoe then approaches Chanwoo.

“You’re a lucky one, you know. Hanbin doesn’t usually give up that easily.”, Chanwoo said.

Junhoe giggles hearing Chanwoo’s words, “C’mon, get up. We need to fix our room.”.

Chanwoo puts his hands up, and says with a thin blush, “Help me. It still hurts… You need to learn how to be gentle next time!”.

“Why is it my mistake? You’re the one riding me last night!”, Junhoe said while helping Chanwoo stands up.

“Shut up!”, Chanwoo commented as he pushes Junhoe down. However, Junhoe is still holding his hand, and they fall together, Chanwoo on top of Junhoe.

They stay in position for a while, Chanwoo slowly grazing his fingers on Junhoe’s face, taking a moment to appreciate Junhoe’s look. Needless to say, they kiss.


Yunhyeong is sitting down on the ground, hugging himself. He’s still stunned by his father’s death. Donghyuk approaches him, putting a blanket around Yunhyeong’s shoulder.

“I’m sorry… You can… hate me, if you want to…”, Donghyuk apologized, still regretful for his action.

“No. I understand. I think it’s better this way… At least nobody else will get hurt.”

Donghyuk then sits quietly next to Yunhyeong, circling his arm around Yunhyeong’s shoulder.

“You know…”, Yunhyeong said. “My father approved our relationship.”

“Really? When?”

“Well, I asked him once. He didn’t actually ‘approve’. I bet he didn’t actually care.”, Yunhyeong sighed. Yunhyeong then rests his head on Donghyuk’s shoulder.

“What will happen to us now?”, Yunhyeong asked.

“I don’t know. But I’ll be by your side until the very end.”

“Thank you.”, Yunhyeong said as he clasps their hand together and kiss Donghyuk’s hand.


After leaving Junhoe and Chanwoo, Hanbin decides to visit his station, where the injured Jinhwan and Bobby rest. When he arrived there, he takes a seat and just stare blankly at his two friends.

“What?”, Bobby asked.

“Nothing. I’m just tired.”, Hanbin replied.

“Well, get us some food or something!”, Jinhwan demanded.

“Why me?”

“Because we’re the injured ones.”, Bobby said.

Hanbin smirks as he stands up and goes outside to grab some small snacks. When he returns, Bobby asks him, “So, how’s Chanwoo?”.

“I left him… with Junhoe.”

“Oh…! You’re giving up on him?”, Jinhwan commented.

“Well… yeah.”, Hanbin said while looking down on the floor.

The two injured men fall silent at Hanbin’s melancholy. But they decide to cheer him up. “C’mon, it can’t be that bad!”, Bobby said. “Besides, not having to chase him means that you have time for us.”

“And why should I spend time on you two!?”

“You’ll never appreciate what’s around if you don’t spend time with them.”, Bobby said while nudging Jinhwan and gives a small wink.

“You should talk for yourself.”, Jinhwan said, retaliating by giving Bobby a harder nudge.

Hanbin just looks back and forth between his two friends in confusion. “What are you talking about?”

“Nothing. You’ll understand when the time comes.”, they said in unison.