Chapter 3

Stockholm Syndrome, Politics, and Everything in Between

Chanwoo wakes up when he hears the sound of carriage’s wheel. However, when he opens his eyes, everything is black. Someone put a blindfold over his eyes.

“You’re awake, huh?”, he can still recognize Junhoe’s voice.

“Do you actually have to do this?”, Chanwoo asked, referring to the blindfold and the knot tying his hand.

“I’m not as naive as you.”, Junhoe replied. “And don’t try to teleport. This carriage is charmed.”

Chanwoo sighs, “Where are we going?”.

“Somewhere. Some people want to pay good money for you. Alive.”

“I see. Do you know who they are?”, Chanwoo tried to probe.

“Nope, and I don’t care.”

“Well, I don’t really have any enemies. So… is it my dad’s enemies?”

“Look. I don’t care. Can you just shut up?”, Junhoe tried to silence Chanwoo, but Chanwoo just ignores him. “I mean, my dad’s a politician. And politician always have someone that tries to get them.”

Finally, Junhoe gets enough of Chanwoo’s babbling. He points his wand on Chanwoo’s forehead, “Either you shut up, or I’ll blast your head open.”

Hearing the threat, Chanwoo calmly responds, “You need me alive, right? But, sure. I’ll shut up.”

The driverless carriage continues its journey, while Chanwoo and Junhoe just spend their time in silence.  Not having to deal with Chanwoo’s amazingly fearless attitude, Junhoe gets to actually observe Chanwoo’s face features. This boy is… handsome? Cute? Good-looking is probably a better word. But for some reason, his good-lookingness is not apparent until you can get a good look on him; he doesn’t really stand out.


Meanwhile, Chanwoo’s dad is absolutely panicking. Chanwoo is nowhere to be found, and, while he has sent his guards all over the city, no good news has arrived.

Correspondingly, Hanbin, Jinhwan, and another guard, Bobby, are running around the city trying to find Chanwoo, to no avail. When they return to their station, Hanbin says, “Chanwoo was hiding his kidnapper.”.

Jinhwan and Bobby are obviously surprised. “What!?”

“I said, Chanwoo was hiding his kidnapper. Remember how he just disappeared yesterday? That’s because Chanwoo hid him. He must be trying to secretly let him go, and got kidnapped as the result.”

“But, why would he…?”, Jinhwan asked.

“It makes sense, don’t you think? We’ve known Chanwoo since he’s young. Isn’t he’s the type of way-too-kind person that will do something like this?”

“Ah… That’s…”, Jinhwan found himself unable to counter Hanbin’s argument. “Anyway, I’ll talk to boss.”, Hanbin said as he dashes off to meet Chanwoo’s dad.

“No, wait!”, Bobby said. Hanbin turns around to face Bobby. “We shouldn’t tell him this. He’ll be shocked to death! Let keep this a secret and investigate quietly.”, Bobby suggested.


It took them a few hours to arrive at the meeting place, but they’re finally there. As soon as they arrive, Junhoe quickly open the carriage’s door and forcefully drags Chanwoo with him. “Come quietly.”, he said.

“You finally arrive! I thought you got killed or something!”. It’s a voice that Chanwoo cannot recognize.

“Well, here I am. Now give me the money!”, Junhoe demanded.

“So hasty.”, the mysterious voice said. “We’ll be taking your carriage with us.”

“Wait, what!?”

The mysterious man then pull of a sack and throw it to Junhoe. “There is enough money in there to buy 10 more of that carriage. Now go away!”

Junhoe inspect the inside of the sack, and confirms the money he’s supposed to receive. “Well, he’s yours now.”, he said as he pushes Chanwoo toward the mysterious man.

“Oh!”, the mysterious man stopped Junhoe. “If you tell anyone about this, we’ll make you regret it.”

“Yeah, yeah. Whatever. I’m not interested in whatever you want to do with this kid.”, Junhoe carelessly replied as he walks away, satisfied with the money that he got. As he gets further and further from them, he can hear how the men forcefully pulls Chanwoo and violently throw him inside the carriage.

He stops for a while to think, is this the right thing to do? Nah, who cares? He got what he wanted.


Chanwoo stays silent while the carriage is bringing him to who-knows-where. He can count from the noise they make, there are 3 men. Quite big, definitely not the kind of men he can beat by force. He thinks to himself, is this how he’s going to die? Or worse, are they going to use him to threaten his dad or something?

But, as he is contemplating, he can feel the carriage suddenly turns upside down and break open. When he falls to the ground, he can hear someone from the distance throwing spells at his general direction, but not at him. Whoever that is, he’s trying to safe him… right?

When things have calmed down, Chanwoo looks up from his spot on the ground, although he still can’t see anything thanks to the blindfold.

Chanwoo can hears Junhoe sarcastic comment, “You’re safe now. Yay!”.

“You safe me?”, Chanwoo asked.

“Duh.”

“Why?”

“I already got the money.”

“Yeah. But why?”

“Look, do you want to be saved or not?”

Chanwoo nods.

“Good.”, Junhoe said as he takes off Chanwoo’s blindfold and untie his hands; the sudden brightness blind Chanwoo’s eyes.

“But I’m not letting you go that easy.”, Junhoe said.

Chanwoo looks up to Junhoe’s general direction, eyes still closed.

“I’ll kidnap you and ask your dad for ransom.”

“Then why did you untie me?”

“Because I trust you. Or would you rather have me tie them again?”

Chanwoo shakes his head.

“Good, now come with me. And don’t try anything stupid.”, Junhoe said as he starts walking.

Chanwoo stands up and tries to catch up with Junhoe.

“Can I ask you something?”, Chanwoo asked.

“What?”

“You lied to me, right? When you said you don’t know how to teleport.”

“Hmm? What make you think so?”, Junhoe asked back.

“There is no way you can catch up with the carriage by feet. So, you must’ve teleported here.”

“Very perceptive.”, Junhoe replied nonchalantly while still walking.

“You know, you don’t have to do this.”, Chanwoo said.

“What do you mean? I’m kidnapping you. No amount of talking will change my mind.”

“I mean, if you just return me to my dad, you’ll be seen as a hero. And my dad wouldn’t mind paying you as much as money as you want.”

Junhoe stops and turns around, “And why should I trust you?”

“Have I ever tried to betray you so far?”, Chanwoo argued.

Junhoe thinks for a while, then sighs, “Ok. I’ll trust you… Let’s teleport you back home.”

“No, we’ll walk.”, Chanwoo simply replied. “It’ll look more realistic if we come there walking. Besides…”, Chanwoo stops in the middle, before continuing with a smirk, “I failed my teleportation class.”

Junhoe tries to hide it, but he can’t help but smile. “Alright, we’ll walk.”. However, before they continue their walk home, Junhoe approaches Chanwoo and offers his hand, “My name’s Junhoe.”

Seeing Junhoe offering his hand, Chanwoo gladly takes it, “I’m sure you already know my name. But it’s Chanwoo.”