Taehyung At Soul's End

At Soul's End Prequel

A/N:  I'm admittedly unfamiliar with trigger warnings but feel that one may be called for in the very first paragraphs of this chapter in the form of remembered abuse. If it is a trigger for you, please skip to the first level of asterisks. After that you should be safe. If you have any questions, please let me know. I'll be happy to discuss anything with you. Thank you for reading and please enjoy this next installment <3


 

Taehyung slowly became conscious of the darkness wrapped around him. He tried to lift his arms to his face but they refused to move. Was he awake? Dreaming? He tried to think but flashes of memory invaded his senses, slowly taking over. He had been out, running the streets of Daegu but for some reason he had ended up going home. He couldn’t remember why, instead his father’s drunken, angry face filling his vision.

 

His muscles spasmed slightly as he remembered being thrown into the wall in the entryway of his shabby, broken down house, his skull bouncing off the cracked drywall. Fists pummeled his face, his ribs, his stomach. He was now aware of the pain wracking his body, the vision of his memory momentarily going hazey. Even as he lied on his back, unable to reach out to the waking world, he felt the worn scratchy carpet of his livingroom, scattered with cigarette burns and hardened spill stains that had never been cleaned up beneath his cheek and palms. The soles of his father’s boots kicked at him, making it hard to breathe.

 

Suddenly he was flipped onto his back and a heavy weight was settling across his stomach and chest. Hands wrapped around his throat, incoherent shouts echoing in his ears. His world was pain. He couldn’t breathe, couldn’t struggle against the hold of his father’s rage. Finally, the memories dimmed, his vision returning to black and he grasped ahold of it like a security blanket, covering himself in it’s welcoming warmth and letting go.

 

*******

 

When Taehyung next surfaced he was first aware of a steady ‘beep, beep, beep’ filling the air around him. It was still dark as he struggled to open his eyes however. He fought with his eyelids, his arms still feeling too heavy to aide him in this endeavor. Finally he got them to crack open, dull light blinding him. As his eyes adjusted, he noted the white tiled ceiling overhead. The odor of antiseptic bit at his nose as the beeping machinery soldiered on.

 

He slowly turned his head towards the sound. A machine tracking his vital signs was lit up, green numbers on the display screen along with the ever moving mountainous spikes of his heart beat. Next to this was an IV pole, fluids dripping slowly into the small reservoir before following the tubing down out of his line of sight. He tried moving his arm again, this time aware of the tightness of his skin where the IV tubing was taped to his skin. It felt stiff and uncomfortable and he didn’t like it at all.

 

Trying to distract himself from the discomfort, he slowly turned his head to the other side. Someone was in the chair next to his hospital bed. The figure was hunched forward, laying their head on the bed as they snored lightly. Taehyung would recognize his cousin anywhere and it warmed his heart to see that he wasn’t alone. His fingers flexed again, this time without thought, and the sleeping figure shot up, instantly sitting up in his chair.

 

“Tae?” Jin spoke in a sleepy voice. He looked at the boy in the hospital bed and an excited smile transformed his groggy features into a look of ecstatic disbelief. “Tae!” he exclaimed.

 

“Jin hyung. What are you doing here?” Taehyung asked in a voice made raspy from disuse. “What am I doing here?”

 

“Do you know where you are?” JIn asked carefully.

 

“In the hospital.” Taehyung answered without missing a beat.

 

“Yes. Do you remember anything from before you came here?” Jin continued his questions.

 

“Uh…” Taehyung had to stop and think. A memory was trying to surface but he was having trouble pulling it to the forefront of his mind. “I-I, I’m not quite sure.”

 

“You were hurt, Tae. You got beat up really badly.”

 

Taehyung’s face scrunched up as he tried to concentrate, tried to pull the memory forward in his head. “My… dad? Did he do this?” he asked, momentarily forgetting that he had never told anyone about his abuse at his father’s hands.

 

“Yeah, Tae. But you don’t have to worry about that ever again, okay?” Jin conceded, providing what assurances he could.

 

“What do you mean, hyung?” Taehyung asked. He was feeling very confused.

 

“Your neighbors heard the yelling and the commotion. They called the cops and ambulance. You were so hurt, Tae.” Jin starts to choke up, his voice cracking as he tries to get his explanation out. “We… we weren’t sure if you’d make it. Your dad was arrested for attempted murder. You were hurt that badly. I… I’m so glad you came back to us, Tae.” Jin finishes, tears silently streaming down his face as he gingerly wrapped the younger boy up in his arms.

 

Taehyung was at a loss for words. He had dreamed of escaping his father’s clutches for so long but never had he truly entertained the idea of being free of the man. At least not before he had finally grown old enough to be on his own. The thought lead him to his next question. “If my dad’s gone, what happens to me?”

 

He had gotten good at shoplifting for food and other necessities, sometimes keeping what he had taken and other times selling the items. It was enough to keep him alive but nowhere near enough to keep a roof over his head. Then again, he had gotten good at finding shelter on the many nights he chose not to go home too. Maybe he could make this work after all. He had even gotten good at breaking into cars and hot wiring them, always able to get where ever he needed to go. Yes, he decided, he could make this new life work. It was liberating knowing that he’d no longer have to worry about his father’s rage attacking out of nowhere.

 

“My mom and dad packed up your things. You’ll be moving in with them once you’re discharged.” Jin answered Taehyung’s question.

 

“What?” To say Taehyung was surprised was an understatement. The idea of needing help didn’t set well with him. He never asked for their help, he never asked for a new home in a different town so far away from the only home he had ever known. “No.” he stated flatly.

 

“No? Tae, what are you talking about?” Jin was perplexed.

 

“I didn’t ask for your help hyung. I can look after myself. I’ve been doing just that ever since my mom died. I’m not just leaving my home.”

 

“You… you’ve been… Tae. Why didn’t you say anything?” Jin stutters out, aghast at this new information as well as hurt that his cousin never confided in him.

 

“Like what?” Taehyung challenges. “‘Oh poor me. My mommy didn’t love me enough to take me with her when she killed herself and now I have to take her beatings for her. Please, save me from this cruel world.’ Something like that, hyung? Life may be ty but I’m not ing weak and I don’t need saving.” He was getting pissed, the beeping of the heart monitor speeding up as he ranted.

 

Jin was speechless. He knew his cousin had had a hard time after his mom died but he never imagined it had been so bad. He had always attributed the change in the boy to be due to the loss of his mother and nothing more. Now his eyes had been opened, his recollections shifting as he re-examines them in this new light.  

 

“I’m not saying that telling me what was happening would magically turn your life into all rainbows and sunshine, Tae, but if you had talked to me you at least wouldn’t have had to hurt all alone.” Jin reasons, his voice almost pleading. “You should never have had to go through any of that. And we would have made sure that you didn’t. Don’t you know that? Can’t you see that all we care about is you?”

 

“Whatever, hyung. It’s too late now. Not even my dad going to prison can fix what’s already happened. You need to just let me go. Aren’t you supposed to be in college right now? What are you even doing here?”

 

Jin sighed. It was obvious his cousin’s stubborn streak was surfacing once again. Luckily, he had no choice. He wasn’t legally old enough to be on his own and it was already decided that he would move to Anyang with his parents instead of being taken into child services. Instead of arguing the inevitable, he did his best to placate his cousin and eventually the younger fell into a restful sleep.

 

*******

 

Ten days after waking up in the hospital, Taehyung was finally released into his aunt and uncle’s custody. He was still upset by this fact but wasn’t sure how to deal with it. He knew living with them would be a culture shock of sorts but as much as he wanted to fight against it, he didn’t want to be an to the only people who were so readily willing to open their home to him and take him in. It wouldn’t be fair to them but this move wasn’t fair to him either.

 

The first week was pretty touch and go. Jin had returned to his college courses in Seoul before Taehyung’s discharge but decided to make the hour long commute to and from school so he could spend the nights at home with Taehyung. He found it stifling to have others watching over him at all times. His dad beat him half to death and now he was the one in prison, even if the bars were built of good intentions.

 

After a week trying to settle in in his new home it was finally time for Taehyung to start at his new high school. He was thankful for the daily reprieve from his aunt and cousin’s watchful eyes. Of course, his uncle was a math teacher at the school so he still wouldn’t be completely free. Then again, with his low grades at his old school, there would have been no way for him to get into such a good school without his family ties. He still wasn’t sure if this was a good thing or a bad thing but he knew time would tell and left it at that.

 

“Taehyung-ah.” came his aunt’s sweet voice from the kitchen. “It’s time to get up for school.”

 

Taehyung groaned low in this throat, nowhere near ready to face his new reality. The aroma of fresh brewed coffee however motivated him to open his eyes and slowly sit upright. Begrudgingly, he climbed out of bed and trudged towards the bathroom to take a shower.

 

*******

 

“We’re here.” Taehyung’s uncle spoke as he drove into the teacher’s parking lot. “Come with me to the office and we’ll get you all settled in.”

 

Taehyung didn’t have the energy to do more than nod, silently grabbing his backpack and following his uncle into the school. The secretary greeted him with a smile but thankfully his uncle did all the talking for him. He tuned out the chit chat of the two adults, instead looking through the glassed in wall between the office and the bustling hallway. He watched the other students hurrying to their classes with a distant air.

 

The ringing of the school bell brings Taehyung out of his daze. “Oh,” his uncle exclaims. “We should get you to class. I don’t want you being late on your first day.” He’s then ushered out of the office and through the halls to his classroom. “Mr. Lee, this is Taehyung. Please take good care of him.” his uncle introduced before giving a brief goodbye and hurrying out of the room.  

 

“Taehyung-ssi. It’s good to have you.” Mr Lee kindly says as the second bell rings. The kids all hurriedly settle into their seats, looking at Taehyung with curiosity. The teacher turns to address the class. “Good morning. We have a new student starting today. Please introduce yourself.” the last of his words for Taehyung.

 

With a heavy sigh, Taehyung turns to face the class. “I’m Kim Taehyung. Please take care of me.” he mumbles, bowing slightly. He wishes the floor would open up and swallow him as 20 or so sets of eyes take his measure.

 

“You can take that empty chair there.” Mr. Lee instructs, pointing toward the only empty chair in the room. It’s situated next to a boy who could easily be mistaken for a cherub and Taehyung has to contain his scoff as he takes in the bright smile that graces the boy’s open face. He reluctantly shuffles over, collapsing into the seat and promptly ignoring the boy’s salutation as the teacher begins class.

 

It seems no matter how hard Taehyung tries to ignore the boy he can’t seem to get the hint and just go away. The first class of the day is biology and, as seatmates, they’re paired together for a project. Next is algebra and the kid seems to sense his struggles, explaining the examples without being asked. He leads Taehyung to the locker room for gym, setting up a locker and gym clothes with the teacher without Taehyung ever saying anything to him. Again they’re paired up for the weight lifting unit in gym. He would laugh at such a small statured kid spotting him but it soon becomes clear the muscles on this guy are no joke.

 

The day continues as such, Taehyung feeling a bit like a lost puppy following the other kid’s lead in silence. Or, at least silence on his part. He may not have bothered to listen to the kid’s name but by the end of the day he knew just about everything else about the guy; his favorite tv shows and books and movies and music, his family life, his hopes and dreams for his future.

 

“So, do you wanna? Or do you need to get home?” the boy asks. Taehyung just looks at him, brows furrowed in confusion. He just gets a light chuckle in return before the boy repeats himself. “I said, you can come with me to my vocal lesson after school if you want. Then I have dance. If you have to get home though I understand.”

 

For the first time that day Taehyung actually considers what the boy is saying. It’d be a couple hours before his uncle would be ready to leave the school so he did have some time to kill. He wasn’t ready to be making friends but having someone in the background wouldn’t be so bad, right?

 

“I guess.” he relents.

 

“Oh!” the boy exclaims, honestly surprised to have gotten any response at all. He wants to tease the new kid, saying something like ‘so you really can speak, I thought I had imagined your introduction’ but he restrains himself. “Then just grab your bag and let’s go to the music room.” he says instead, his smile blinding Taehyung.

 

Taehyung can feel the ice in his heart already thawing in the other boy’s presence. He knows he’s not ready. Not ready to let go of his anger or his pain. He’s not ready to let anyone new into his life nor into his heart. He can feel the inevitability in his classmate’s eyes however and, for the moment, he basks in the sensation. Maybe this life is livable after all. Maybe he can find his way back to the boy he was before his mom died. Maybe… For the first time in so long he could feel the niggling of hope in his heart and he grabbed ahold of it with both hands like a drowning man receiving a life preserver as he followed the boy through the school.


 

A/N:  Hello all!!! It feels so great to get another chapter up! I've started a new job so finding the time is a little hard but I'm persevering. I hope you liked this chapter even though it started on a difficult note. There's nothing like hope to get us through the struggles of life though. There's 3 more background stories to go before we get into the actual story of soulmates and zombies to come. Please leave comments, don't forget to subscribe, and even upvote. I'll be seeing you all again soon with Namjoon's story. <3