Jungkook At Soul's End

At Soul's End Prequel

A/N:  I dare you not to love this precious child. lol

This is really short but I think I got most of what I wanted to figure out included. The rest of his story will be unveiled in the chaptered fic I'll be working on in Nov. I hope you enjoy this snippet into his life and inner workings.


 

Jungkook walked into the tall building of glass and steal, his mother just a step behind him. He addressed the receptionist who smiled warmly at him before instructing him where to go. His mom pat him on the back once, her way of giving support, before they parted. She was led to a family waiting room while he took the elevator up to where he’d be auditioning to be in a boy group at Big Hit Entertainment.

 

When the doors to the elevator opened it was easy to see where to go next. A man with a clipboard was standing outside an open door, numerous voices bleeding into the hallway from behind him.

 

“Name?” he asked curtly.

 

“Jeon Jungkook” Jungkook answered, his reply just as businesslike.

 

“Age?”

 

“Fourteen.”

 

“Specialty?”

 

“Dance and vocals.”

 

“Auditions will be starting shortly. You can go inside and warm up while you wait for your name to be called.”

 

Jungkook nodded once at the man and entered the room. Looking around, there were easily 50 other boys in various states. Most of them were in small groups of two, three or four. Some were stretching their muscles, others were singing or making weird sounds as they warmed up their vocal cords. A few seemed to be fighting off panic. One boy caught his eye in particular. He appeared to be about the same age while most of the other boys appeared to be older than them. The poor kid was sitting alone in a corner, breathing heavily. He looked like he was doing his best not to piss himself or throw up.

 

Jungkook avoided the kid in the corner, walking to the opposite corner where he began to stretch his muscles. As he bent forward, touching his fingertips to the floor a woman’s voice addressed him.

 

“Hello.” she said, a smile in her voice.

 

Jungkook, caught off guard, shot up to stand straight in front of the woman. “Hello?” he answered, voice raising at the end inadvertently turning it into a question.

 

The woman chuckled. “I’m Im Sooyoung. I’m interviewing the applicants here today. Mind if I ask you a few questions?” Jungkook wasn’t normally known for his chatting abilities. He was more the type to want to be left alone and only spoke when necessary. It seemed like this was one of those ‘necessary’ times however so he followed the woman’s lead as she sat in one of the chairs along the wall nearby, an air of expectancy in her gaze.  

 

“Um, Jeon Jungkook.” he introduced himself not wanting to appear rude.

 

“Jungkook-ssi, tell me a little about yourself.” she began. He had no idea how to reply. What did she want to know about him? He didn’t really feel like there was much to tell.

 

“Uh… what do you want to know?” he finally asked, feeling slightly dumb.

 

“Well, how old are you and what position are you auditioning for?” she began. ‘This isn’t so bad,’ Jungkook reasoned to himself as he answered the woman same as he had the man at the door. “Aigoo, so young.” the woman gushed. “How long have you been into dance and vocals?”

 

Jungkook hesitated again before answering. “I’ve always loved singing but have been taking vocal lessons for a year now. I’ve been dancing for two years through the dance club at my school.” Glancing around the room briefly, he wondered how long the rest of these boys had been working towards this dream. The surprised look on the woman’s face made him wonder if she thought his timeframe was short or long.

 

“Were you in any clubs before dance?” she asked, not giving her thoughts away.

 

“Mm.” he hummed in ascent. When the woman just looked at him as if she were waiting for the rest of his answer he decided to elaborate for her. “I was in martial arts before dance. I have black belts in Taekwondo, Hapkido, and Kendo.”

 

“Oh my.” she exclaimed. “So accomplished for such a young man. How did you transition from martial arts to dance?”

 

Jungkook thinks back, remembering how indifferent he had become to the martial arts as he neared the test out for his third black belt. While it’s true that there is always more to master in the arts, he was beginning to spend time teaching for his teacher than actually learning. While the physical effort had been pleasing, the mental effort had become non-existent. He could easily see through his opponents, anticipating their every move. It really took the fun out of it.

 

Meanwhile, at school, his teacher was head of the dance club. He wonders if the man could see the numb apathy he was slipping into at such a young age. Perhaps the man was just trying to help him make friends since he had none. Either way, he jumped at the suggestion of joining the club. Or, at least he had on the inside. He was ready for anything that would change the monotony of daily life and he already felt a soul deep connection with music. Turns out, he was a natural when it came to dance. Later he discovered he was a natural at singing too.

 

“I had a teacher that suggested it and I just stuck with it.” was Jungkook’s reply. He felt no need to go any deeper than that with a complete stranger. Behind him, names were starting to be called in to audition. He was glad to know things were starting to move along now.

 

“Must have been a good teacher.” the woman hedged.

 

“Yes.” was Jungkook’s only reply. He wanted to get warmed up.

 

“How does your family feel about you auditioning today?” she continued with her questions.

 

“You could ask my mom. She’s downstairs. I think I should get warmed up though.” When the woman nodded her ascent Jungkook stood up.

 

“Thanks for your time.” the woman replied before moving on to her next interviewee. Jungkook sighed in relief before working on warming up his muscles and voice once again.

 

*******

 

“Jeon Jungkook.” the man with the clipboard from when he had arrived called out. There were only about ten boys remaining in the waiting room now. The boy who had caught his attention upon his arrival had thrown up in the garbage can as soon as he had returned from his audition. Jungkook had noted a couple other guys looking rather green in the face as well.

 

Jungkook wasn’t one to get nervous however. He had never understood why people get nervous. You either know what you’re doing or you don’t he figured. There’s no reason to get all worked up about it. Besides, he had been through enough testing in his martial arts training that this wasn’t any different for him. Then again, it’s not like he had ever really failed at anything. Some may think having no friends makes him a failure at making them but he really considers having no friends as a choice. People his age were so immature and he found their antics rather annoying. He didn’t want them around.

 

“Jungkook-ssi.” a man addressed him. The man was sitting at a table with two others in front of the small stage Jungkook had stepped out on. He tossed his hoodie to the side before bowing 90 degrees towards the table. “We’ll have you start on vocals. Do you have a song prepared?”

 

“Yes sir.” he answered swiftly, handing a USB to the man with the clipboard. “Zion T’s ‘Two Melodies’” he instructed the man. Moments later the song began and he let his heart soar with the melody. He knew he came off as rather cold to the outside world. He was fine with that. But once the music started, all his emotions came to the surface. They seeped from his very pores and infected all those who could hear his voice. It was what he lived for and he felt confident the judges would be able to tell as well.

 

When his song ended he was instructed to begin his dance. Again he instructed the ‘clipboard man’ as he had so dubbed him to pull up the correct music. He took his beginning pose and again let the music fill him. He knew the moves so well he could do it even without the music. He was so attuned that he forgot  the judges were even there until the music ended. Panting slightly, he stood before the judges, waiting for their next instructions.

 

“Thank you, Jungkook-ssi. If you’ll follow Hobeom here,” the only man at the table who had addressed him now pointed towards ‘clipboard man’ “he’ll take you to the other waiting room.” This was a surprise to Jungkook. He had seen numerous boys return they way they had come and had just assumed that everyone had returned from their auditions in the same fashion.

 

Keeping his thoughts to himself, Jungkook thanked the judges, bowing low before grabbing his discarded hoodie and following the now named ‘Hobeom’ in the opposite direction he had arrived from. He was ushered into a much smaller waiting room where three other boys were dancing around in excitement. He eyed them warily before sitting in a chair across from them.

 

Ignoring the rowdy boys, he pulled his phone from his hoodie and opened up his ‘Piano Tiles’ app. He had been working to beat his high score on the newest song and almost had it when he was interrupted by a sweet voice saying ‘hi’ to him while nudging at his shoulder. He eyed him dubiously, unsure if the boy was older than him or not. The two boys standing behind him however did seem older so he decided to at least be cordial for the moment.

 

“Hi.” he replied, his hesitance obvious in his voice.

 

“I think we made it past the auditions. Aren’t you excited?” the boy asked, sitting in the empty chair next to him. He was smiling with his whole face, his eyes almost disappearing into crescents as his pouty lips pushed up his rounded cheeks. The other boys were grinning at him as well. One with the strangest box smile he had ever seen and the other with gentle, heart-shaped lips stretching wide. He thought he would be blinded by all the sunshine the three emitted.

 

“Um, you think that’s why we’re here?” he asked.

 

The boy with the box smile shrugged at him. “It makes sense, right?” His deep voice threw Jungkook off for a moment. ‘How on earth is that his voice?’ he wondered to himself in awe.

 

“I guess.” is all Jungkook could think to answer.

 

“You sure seem quiet.” the third boy observed. Jungkook couldn’t quite tell if it was an accusation or just a simple statement. He just shrugged in reply. He wasn’t trying to seem rude. He just wasn’t used to interacting with people if he didn’t have to.

 

“Boys.” Hobeom breezed into the room, easily getting all their attention. “Congratulations on making it to the trial period of training. Tomorrow morning at 6:30 am be at this address.” He began handing business cards to the four boys with an address as well as contact information on it. “We’ll begin by showing you where you’ll be training and introducing you to the staff. Every Thursday there is an evaluation that you will get to watch this first week. Starting on Friday you will have dance and voice lessons so you can start to prepare for the following week’s evaluation. If you pass the first two evaluations we’ll get you set up in the dorms.

 

“Many before you have made the mistake of assuming the audition was the only hurdle to pass to become an idol. Don’t follow their lead. This was the first and, quite frankly, easiest step. We need to see that you can grow and improve. If not, this isn’t the place for you and you will need to move on. Understood?”


The four boys nodded at the man, serious faces all around. “Good. You’re free to go now.” With that being said he left the room just as quickly and easily as he had entered it. Jungkook grabbed his hoodie, putting it on as he left the room without a word. He was so excited to tell his mom that he had made it, not that anyone he passed in the halls on the way to the elevator could tell by looking.


 

A/N:  Thank you so much for reading. Please take a moment to comment, subscribe and upvote!  <3