Witch Hunt

Death Demon

I am sorry I am confusing you all. What makes sense in my head doesnt seem to be very clearn when I write. I promise I will sort things out and explain in the next few chapters.

 

The rabid crowd had surrounded the tower and it would take about 12 minutes for them to reach the top. Yifan stared at the figure in front of him. Suho’s robes were torn and blood smeared. His hair was wet and limp and his body trembled in fatigue. But in all this, the blindfold across his eyes stayed in place, mocking Yifan of secrets untold. The red sash tied firmly over silken black hair fluttered in the wind almost distracting Yifan’s eyes from Suho’s pale face.

Yifan took a step closer knowing very well that even without seeing, Suho will know exactly where Yifan is.  He took another and another until he stood in front of the man who had shared almost every breath of his life. With gentle hands, he pulled the smaller man into his arms and held him tight.

“Junmyeon, please, please, please let me see your eyes.”

Suho did not respond. YIfan took a step back and shook his friend by the shoulder.

“Junmyeon, listen, you are going to die and I will have to kill you. They are thirsting for your blood. Please don’t do this to me. Please don’t make me live with your blood on my hands.”

Suho smiled.

“You shouldn’t feel bad about staining your hands with a traitor’s blood.”

Yifan started at his friend. Sometimes Yifan wondered what their relationship was.  To him, Suho is something beyond description. His heart and soul always yearned for the younger’s company. He always had a burning desire to protect his friend so much so that he used to eat the first mouthful of every meal and every dish just so that Suho wouldn’t be poisoned. And yet in battle when Suho fought, he would want to go down on his knees in reverence. He still remembered the day he named his friend ‘The Red Thunder’. But things have changed. Something had happened the day he had brought Yuna to the capital. That night, there had been a fire and the palace had burned down. He had believed Suho to be dead until he emerged from the ashes a changed man with a blindfold. Strange things have been happening around Suho for a while now. He was able to fight better than before despite the blindfold, he healed faster and almost magically, but most of all, he never smiled. In the three years since that day, Suho had relinquished his throne to Yifan and had assigned himself the post of a soldier. He went to battle nonstop and scarcely made a public appearance. His reclusiveness only added fuel to the rumours that he was somehow touched by the devil and hence brought misfortune to the country. Suho’s refusal to a trial and desperation among the people to blame someone for the current state of the country had brought them where they are - at the tallest tower in the city with an angry mob at their heel. But despite all that, Yifan just cannot see his friend as a traitor.

“You are not a traitor!”

With a sad smile, Suho shook his head.

“I am Yifan. More than anyone will ever know. I wish I had time to explain, but believe me. Don’t be confused with what happens next. Just, when my time runs out no matter how much you hate me, just… just let me die in your arms as your Junmyeon.”

“Suho? What are you saying?”

“Stay back Yifan.”

Suho pulled out the only companion he had allowed himself the past 3 years, his trusted hourglass that he upturned and placed on top of the marble table in the center.

“Five minutes…you can come and get your friend now.” Suho shouted, then reached back and pulled down his blindfold.

Black smoke emerged from his eyes and coalesced into a vague humanoid form. It was grotesque and twisted and appeared to be in pain. A stunned Yifan pulled out his sword and advanced only to be stopped by someone who jumped over the wall and landed between him and the sick creature.

“Stay back you worm. You will lose your empty head if you take one more step.”

Yifan looked shocked as he stared at the silver haired demon. The fiery red robe that fluttered in the wind successfully hid the creature from his view. But he was soon distracted by Suho’s moans. Turning to his friend, he screamed because Suho, known for his honey eyes had no eyes. His sockets were empty pits that caved into his head marring the ethereal beauty of his being. His split lips were bleeding and he appeared to be in pain but he turned to kneel facing the demon.

“I am sorry I can’t protect him anymore. You have to…”

Just then the door Yifan had closed behind him at the stairwell splintered. The crowd seemed to have reached the top. Just as Yifan was about to rush to the door. Suho grabbed his robe and pulled him back.

“No Yifan, you must kill me now. Please…”

“What Suho no!”

“You must, Yifan, please... save yourself, live for me.” Suho pleaded holding on to Yifan. As if realizing his protectors distress, the creature that had cowered behind Sehun, crawled around him and with a moan extended its hand towards Suho.

“I am sorry Jongin, I am sorry, you must go with Sehun now.”

“Suho, what is…”

The door splintered open.

Sehun rolled his eyes.

“I am so done with this drama.”

In a swift move, with the hilt of his sword he hit Yifan on the spine. Even before Yifan fell unconscious, he grabbed Suho in one hand and Jongin in the other and leapt over the ledge.

With a gasp the crowd that had made it to the walls of the tower looked down, but in a flurry of grey wings, and a trail of red robe fluttering behind, Sehun flew away with only an echo of Suho’s scream for Yifan left behind.

In the hour glass on the ledge, the sand was still seeping down unmindful of the chaos around it.