An Unremarkable Goodbye

Death Demon

There might be people who want to kill me for the delay. But I am sorry, the number of things I am trying to do now is messed up and its so hard to take time to write. I miss writing so much that I took the day off to write and post this chapter. A lot of you will be annoyed at the end of this. All, I am going to say is, don't be, life is full of surprises. Unedited, raw and as written...

 

Wars are often the product of frustrated men who didn’t know what else to do. Or so Sehun believed. He sat atop the tallest window sill in the last fort of the demon land overlooking the battle field. Currently, a lot of posturing was going on. Yifan and his vast army stood facing him and the demon princes, Jongin and Tao followed by their not so vast but equally mighty army stood with their backs to the fort.

Neither the king of Asegi nor the demon princes were loud enough to make their demands. So messengers were sent back and forth between the leaders. They had been at it all morning and it was comical if not boring to watch. If Suho had not met Jongin and had been there on the side of Asegi, Sehun was sure that the red thunder would have by now decimated half the demon hordes and Jongin would be burning down an equal number of humans. Unfortunately, this battle was not for any great aspirations such as world supremacy. It was stupid posturing for the custody of a cursed dying man. Sehun sighed and turned back to jump into the room where the said dying man lay almost unconscious

 

“Return the former king of Asegi and we will go back!”

“We will parley with anything other than the former king of Asegi. We are not giving you Suho”

The gist of the 4 hour engagement can be boiled down to just these two lines and Jongin was getting massively frustrated. He bore the armor and head gear of the demon lords for the first time since his resurrection and it was annoying him no end. He knew Yifan was not making the first move because of Suho being in the demon lord's custody.  But one way or the other, neither of them are going to back down. When the messenger came back with the same message demanding Suho’s custody, Jongin sent back his final message.

Tao smirked at the message and signaled for his familiars to step back.

 

“Who are you?” Lay barked at Baekhyun

Baekhyun backed off with arms raised, “just a seer, helpless at that. I just came with the death demon.”

“What are you doing here? These are the healing halls, where is Suho?”

Baekhyun cursed the death demon for the hundredth time for locking him in the healing chamber and escaping with Suho in his arms.

“You should ask the death demon, he is the one who took him.”

“Where?”

“I don’t know?”

“I don’t feel good about this. Get up, let’s go, we need to find them.”

 

At the battle field, Kai and Yifan circled each other panting hard. Kai had though he could overcome the king of Asegi easily with his new found powers, but he had been wrong. He had heard that Junmyeon and Yifan were a perfect pair in battle complementing each other’s every move. He can understand why, now that he fighting Yifan one to one.

Both have decided that there was only one way to break the deadlock. They decided to fight one to one. They have been at it for over an hour and both were getting tired. But neither wanted to loose.

 

“Se…hun” Suho’s voice was just a whisper.

Sehun turned around only to see Suho desperately trying to get off the bed. But there was no doubt the man was dying. His pale pallor, bony frame that had wasted away and trembling form spoke of his soul just about waiting to fly.

“Kai…”

Sehun sighed. He carefully lifted the man’s head and laid it on his lap.

“Do you know who I am Suho?”

Suho looked at him confused.

“Se… hun”

“Do you know who you are to me?”

Sehun grip tightened on the frail body in his arms.

“You are the wretched half breed brother of mine who ruined my life.”

“I… I don’t understand…” Suho’s mind was in disarray and whatever Sehun was saying made no sense.

“I told you about my father spawning a half breed before me didn’t I? The same half breed he has been searching for till date. Well, that’s you.”

Suho looked at Sehun’s angry visage and trembled. But then he calmed himself. He had no right to feel afraid. Sehun had suffered so much because of him and Suho didn’t even know it all this while. He lifted his bony hands to Sehun’s cheeks and with true regret said, “I am so …. Sorry, Sehun, so sorry, I wish…. I had known you earlier. I wish you didn’t have to… suffer because of me…. “

Sehun gave a maniacal grin.

“Don’t worry, you don’t have to feel bad about it. You! Are going to make it all better.”

Sehun pulled Suho for a sinister hug and held him against his chest.

“Close your eyes brother. We are going to set everything right.”

Sehun pulled out a dagger and Suho blanched. But a moment latter he calmed down. This was better than wasting away and Jongin spending every moment trying to save him. He nodded his head and closed his eyes dutifully.

“Can I give you a hug before I go, Sehun?”

Sehun, did not respond but with great care, he brought the frail man close enough for Suho to wind his arms around his brother.

“Tell Jongin I love him.”

Sehun knew that was not going to happen. Jongin will forget Suho and everything about him and so will all the people who had known Suho. Thats the nature of the curse and there was nothing more to it.

“Yes, I will brother.”

Sehun eased the knife into Suho’s heart. Suho's body jerked for a moment and then calmed.

With a sigh, Suho mumbled “It’s nice… when you call me brother.”

With a final shudder, Suho stilled in Sehun’s arms.

A single tear slid down Sehun’s pale cheek.

 

 

In the battle field, Kai suddenly felt his heart pull. He lurched and dropped the sword in pain just a Yifan too crumbled to the ground clutching his heart.

“What just …. happened?”

“Don’t know …..”

“I…. I can’t breathe”

Tao ran up to them and knelt before the demon prince.

“Oye, Kai, what happened?”

“Jong....in, call me.... Jongin” and the world went dark for the demon prince.