A Blindman's Night

Death Demon

Sehun was not the least bit happy. He was hungry, tired and so not in the mood for pesky humans. The annoying disgusting creatures that had a tendency to swarm any fertile piece of land it dry and then move on. But then death demons feed on human despair, so sticking around this sick place would get his stomach full. So bored out of his mind, he perched on the slanting roof of the temple tower. His blood red robes fluttered in the wind but what stood out was his silver hair that framed his pale face. Unlike his comrade, he stood out from the shadows, an ethereal being of a world beyond. Over the ages, he had often been mistaken for a god. He finds the notion amusing, he? A God? Humans are so stupid.

The capital city of Asegi is sure seeing a lot of festivities in recent times. Sehun found it peculiar because things were very bleak outside the city walls of the city. The moon bathed the busy street below in silver light and Sehun couldn’t help admire the grandly dressed royalties and nobles milling about enjoying the festivities. Wine flowed freely and women swayed towards drunken men. A thousand years and something never change in the human world.  And yet among all the finery, Sehun smelt blood. He looked closer and there in the shadows was a lone figure dragging itself along the backyards of quiet houses leaving a continuous blood smear along the walls where the figure rested his hands for support. The other hand though dragged a heavy sword behind leaving another trail of blood.

Sehun sighed. Thinking his friend owed him big time Sehun swooped down and landed in a smooth crouch. With a sigh he cast a spell on himself that made him look like a commoner and then he followed the blood trail the lone figure was leaving behind.

 

“You are not just a general anymore, you are king and you must do what you must to save your country.” Yuna whispered into Yifan’s ears. Her eyes had an unearthly glint that Yifan didn’t notice.

“But he is my friend. If for one moment you think I am going to do what you suggest, you are wrong.” Yifan grumbled.

“Oh please, don’t you have loyalty to your people. The lands outside are dying and soon the sickness and death will invade inside the capital. You know it’s because of him.”

“I know no such thing…”

“Here darling, drink some wine first.”

Yuna bent towards her husband to feed him some exotic wine. To say that she was frustrated was an understatement.

 

Suho fumbled his way up the stairs and into his tiny room. Gone were the days when he lived in the palace. Now he just lived in a soldier’s quarters. But he didn’t resent it. It was better this way. The farther he stayed from the others, the less rumours he heard of himself. Even so, he could still hear the loud music and people’s laughter from below. He idly wondered why he liked parties once upon a time. Now they just grated on his nerves. He had a long gash that ran down his right side but he was too far gone to even try and fix it. Once he fumbled his way into his room, he locked the door behind him and slowly slipped down the wall. He knew he must clean his wounds and find some food, but his thoughts disappeared like smoke and soon he slipped into unconsciousness.

The next day, Yifan came by to check on his friend only to see him soundly sleeping on his narrow bed. The room stank of blood and in panic Yifan checked Suho for injuries. But as always, there was not a single blemish on Suho’s pale skin. Yifan sat by the bed and carefully tocuhed the pale cheeks of Suho. His hand halted when it reached the blindfold.

"Why wont you take it off?"