Dragon’s Hate Winter

Death Demon

Okay, I am seriously running out of names for side characters and I need help. I just typed ‘Siwon’s colleagues’ and came up with Leeteuk and Heechul. I still have a few to go in that list but it somehow doesn’t feel right because they all sound out of character. If there is anyone out there who would like to help me with this, please let me know.

 

Winters in the demon land were harsh. Nights were prone to unexpected snow storms that could disorient even a native. Tao unfortunately was a dragon who was not used to the white blanket of snow that blinded him as well as muffled his sense of smell. He had taken off from what he believed was the North wing of the royal palace but with the sudden onset of a snow storm that hid the stars, he soon got lost. The capital city was vast and the royal palace took most of the space. He went round-and-round but could not recognize where he started from. Dragons don’t feel cold but Tao didn’t know that at the speed and height at which he was traveling, ice was slowly building up on his hunches weighing him down. Ideally, it wouldn’t have taken him a minute to consciously warm himself but Tao was a pampered child and never had such experiences. And so, he kept struggling to find his way. Eventually, with the weight on his wings and exhaustion built up from the arduous journey the past weeks, he came crashing down on what looked like a balcony.

 

“Jongin! What is it?”

“I don’t know, I heard a crash, let me check, you stay here.”

Jongin got off the bed and ran out the balcony closely followed by a fumbling Suho.

Tao was thrashing in his panic. His feet couldn’t find any purchase on the ice-covered ground and his wings were weighed down.

“It’s a dragon, hey stop, let me ….” Jongin never finished his sentence because the dragon’s tail caught him in his chest.

“Hey! Jun, stay away, it will hurt you!” But Suho didn’t listen. He can feel the panic in the whining of the dragon.

“Hey dragon, calm down please. We will help you okay….”

Tao could see two figures and hear two voices but the last one he heard really seemed to calm him down. It was soft and gentle but confident and no-nonsense at the same time.

“See, I cannot see. I have to touch you to help you okay… can you show me where you are?”

“No Jun, stop!” Jongin cried desperately trying to make his way back to his Jun. But Suho was not listening.

By now the commotion had attracted some guards and they were all making their way to the prince’s quarters but the door leading to the room was locked from the inside as normal in case of the royal quarters.

“See my hands, can you guide me by my hands. I can’t see.”

Tao was curious. This moron of a human was asking the dragon prince to guide him. Just to see what happens next, Tao brought the tip of his massive tail to gently place it around Suho’s waist and with too much force, pulled him close.

“No! JUN!!!”

Suho heard Jongin but before he felt the panic, the dragon brought him closer to itself. Suho stretched his hands and gently caressed the ridged hard skin by the nape of the dragon.

“You are safe now, you have to turn back prince. We will not harm you, can you please do that for us.”

Tao thought about it. He is vulnerable in his human form but the human sounded honest.

“Please my prince, the snow is scary isn’t it. The ice can hurt you, so please turn, I promise nothing or no one will hurt you.”

Tao changed back to his human form in the arms of the man he was holding against him.

“I have got you, you are okay now. See, the ice has fallen off. Let me take care of you okay.”

Tao sighed in relief and sat up.

“Thank you, you…. You really helped me.”

“And you could have killed him you moron. I guess you are the dumb dragon lizard here to marry me.”

Tao looked up with narrowed eyes at the figure he had swept away in his frenzy.

“Says the dumb demon prince who didn’t know the strength of a dragon’s tail.”

“Oh yeah lizard, next time I will chop your tail off…”

“Jongin, please go tell the guards we are fine.” Suho interrupted.

Jongin gave Tao a look. “If you hurt him, you are dead.”

“Why would I hurt him idiot? He just saved me.”

While Jongin jogged up to the room, Suho asked, “Are you okay prince Zitao?”

“How do you know it’s me?”

Suho laughed softly and the sound fascinated Tao.

“Who else could it be? You are a dragon. Now tell me, are you hurt?”

“Oh hum… I am fine, did I hurt you?”

“No you didn’t I am fine, Lets go inside, its cold out here.”

They stood up and for the first time Tao realized how frail the human was.

“Who are you by the way?”

“Just… just Jongin’s caretaker.”

“Thank you for helping me. I am not safe when I am in dragon form.”

Suho fumbled and found Tao’s hands and held them firm.

“We all have our demons prince, you are not alone in that. You didn’t hurt me and that proves you aren’t all demon, doesn’t it?”

Tao stared at the man in front of him. No one had said that to him before. People have always been in awe of him or repulsed by him. None had made him feel normal.

“Th-thanks, you are kind.”

Suho smiled at that and Tao wanted to bottle it and store it for a dark day.

“Not at all Prince Tao. I merely stated the truth.”

Jongin came back to see his Jun softly talking to the dragon and it did not sit well with him.

“Hey, get away from him, lizard.”

“Oh shut up dark matter. I know how you were last season. Enough stories have been said about your reappearance.”

“So what, are you…”

“Jongin! Be nice, he is your fiancé!”

“NO WAY!” Two voices shouted at the same time.

 

If it was anyone other than Sehun, they would have been intimidated by the décor of the underworld. But Sehun grew up playing among these dark tunnels. A lonely kid who got lost most of the time but found his way back on his own because there was no one to come looking for him. Now though, he can make any door he wanted within his realms. But the passages still reminded him of his lonely childhood which is why he preferred spending his time in the demon kingdom.

“Welcome home my son” A voice boomed.

“Okay, I have never heard a sentence with so many things wrong with it.”

The lord of the underworld looked pained.

“Must you be difficult even before you greet me.”

“It’s a worthy endeavor lord Leeteuk.”

“Call me father Sehun, just once.”

“Nope, that would be too easy. Anyway, I have things to do and places to be, what exactly do you want?”

“That can wait, let’s have lunch now.”

Sehun looked surprised. His father never stayed long enough to eat before.

“Why not? I am starving.”

The pair made their way to the dining table only to find it groaning under the weight of food.

“Looks like a feast, what’s the occasion?”

“Can’t a father have lunch with his son?”

“Did you practice, that didn’t sound as awkward as it should have coming from you.”

The lord of the underworld put the fork and knife down.

“Sehun…”

“Cut the crap, why are you here?”

After pausing for a moment Lord Leetuck simply asked, “a while ago, a new name came up in the record of deaths. But it actually replaced an older name of Kai. So I was just wondering….”

“What name?”

“Jongin…”

Sehun was startled. He had never expected his father to ask about Jongin.

“Why do you want to know?”

“It’s… it’s a lead…”

Sehun threw the fork he was holding and stood up.

“I should have known it would have something to do with your quest. I am not a dog you can summon and feed food to do tricks for you. I am leaving.”

“Sehun, its important, please…”

“No, as the lord of the underworld you can search the archives and find your answers. You have wasted 24 years on your effort, what’s a few more months?”

“Sehun, please…”

“I don’t know, I don’t know the name, now if you will excuse me.”

With that Sehun walked out briskly. He couldn’t stand another moment in front of his father least he blurt out something. He was confused and angry at the same time. Why was his father asking him about Jongin and what’s his relationship with his father?

He need to get back to the Demon land and he needs to find answers and soon.