Full Circle

Death Demon

Okay, final chapter folks. I am so sorry for taking so long to finish this story. I started this story with great enthusiasm but some how the flow I had with 'Bonded by Defintion' did not come through in Death Demon. In a lot ways I am unsatisfied with the shaky style of writing and the lack of character build but never the less I loved writing it. Thank you all for your encouragement with delightful comments despite me being such a sporodic writer. Here to you all, the conclusion of death demon. Unedited and raw, I will copy edit later this week. Sorry for all the mistakes. But for today, I just want to get the story out.

 

We are a lot of what we are remembered as, and Suho is forgotten. His Jongin, his Yifan, his country, his enemies and friends have all forgotten him. He did not know how to feel about that. He did not know how to feel about suddenly gaining a father and a brother either.

Sehun had saved what was left of him after the curse. He was grateful to him for that. He had no problem thinking of Sehun as his brother as they had already been friends before.

“Why did you save me?” He had asked Sehun

“Stop asking stupid questions.” Was all Sehun had said on the subject.

His newly acquainted father was a completely different thing. The man according to Sehun was obsessed with finding Suho. But now that he was in front him, the lord of death had no idea how to deal with his eldest son.

Then there was the thing about being a death demon. The job was tough and depressing. Not that Suho’s life otherwise was very rosy.

Suho often wondered why Sehun and Sehun alone remembered him while everyone else just forgot about him. Apparently, Death Demons are record keepers and above mundane things like curses. Suho was grateful for that. He had no idea what he would do if not for Sehun.

He missed Jongin fiercely. Jongin was something all-encompassing for Suho. Someone to protect and someone to be protected by. They share a soul and that doesn’t go away easily. But with no memory of Suho, Jongin or Yifan or any of the people he had cared about in life were as good as strangers to him now.

 

Suho was still a fledgling according to death demon standards and hence was not in any shape ready to visit the land of the living, demon or human. But that didn’t stop him from pestering Sehun.

“I told you I will take you once you are stronger. Stop harassing me.”

Suho hanging on to his taller younger brother and pouting as Sehun ignored him was a common sight in the palace of the Lord of Death. But when the palace settled down and all was quiet, when Suho felt that ache of missing pieces of his soul he folded himself into a bundle of hurt and cried himself to sleep, Sehun is there on those nights, softly brushing away wisps of red hair from a pale forehead.

 

 

After almost a year of Suho's death, Sehun finally went up to the demon kingdom to meet his friend after a long time. It had not been easy to leave behind a clingy Suho, but then promised rewards in the form of news on both Jongin and Yifan had worked.

“Sehun! Where have you been?” Kai rarely hugged people unless they were Suho. The fact that he saw fit to hug Sehun spontaneously said something about his friend’s mental state.

They talked like old times but the spark in the demon lord was missing. He sounded wane and lost and every time they spoke about anything in the period when Suho was with Kai, the demon lord just paused and confusedly admitted that he couldn’t recollect the actual events. For Sehun who knew why, it was painful to watch his friend struggling to remember that missing link in his life.

“I am going crazy Sehun… I can feel myself going mad slowly but surely day after day.”

“You are not my friend. Believe me in time you will feel better and happy.”

“I don’t know why, but I, can’t seem to be happy. In fact it feels like I never will be happy. I feel stupid that sometimes I turn to smile at someone beside me, my hands reach out as if to take somebody’s hands, I almost feel phantom fingers brushing through my hair and worst of all there is a whisper of a name, constant and always. I do not know who Jongin is, but I keep hearing that name. I feel like I am missing part of me that makes me who I am and without these parts, I am afraid I am disappearing.”

Sehun had consoled his friend the best he could and had then met Siwon.

“Lay is weaving a fantastic tale about a king of Asegi. I am not so sure.” The former demon king said.

“My notes are protected by a special seal that cannot be tampered with. That’s how medical records are. My notes talk about a king called Suho and the bond he shared with Kai. If it’s in my notes, it has to be real.” Lay explained.

Sehun sighed. He had expected that the problem will be solved with saving Suho, but it seems none of them are happy with the fallout.

 

Days went by and Suho became stronger. He learnt how to be a death demon and he poured over books and records to know more about his new world. But his eyes grew dull and his smile forced. He wandered around like a ghost seeking something he cannot grasp.

“Something has to be done. I can’t see him like this” Leetuk sighed

“I agree. And I have an idea” Sehun said

For the first time in their lives, Lord Leetuk and his son Sehun agreed on something.

Meanwhile madness was driving Kai crazy. There was an itch inside him that simply refused to die down and he was at a loss to understand why.

When he had gone to Lay, the doctor has simply smiled a sad smile.

It looked like everyone but he knew what was wrong. He needed Sehun but Sehun had not been seen near the Demon land for months now.

He had received a cryptic message from King Yifan a week ago. And they both met alone and in secret near their border. They both felt the same way. The king showed him an empty box, an hour glass and a red sash. While neither of them could piece together what it meant, they knew it was significant. One thing they both concluded was that they were not missing a thing but a person.

 

They were once again sitting on top of a tower and observing the quiet night in Asegi. Death demons go wherever death calls them and even in the most peaceful of times, death is always busy. Suho had watched Yifan working at his desk all alone. He looked like a tragic hero from long lost tales. In a way he was, given that his wife betrayed him and he lost his best friend too. But Yifan had purpose. Suho could tell with the determination Yifan showed in his work that one day Asegi will rise to great heights under Yifan.

After a while, Sehun and Suho had made their way to the tower where they rested watching the quiet city. In the bright moonlight Suho’s red hair shone like silk. His eyes were cool amber just like Sehun’s but there was a faraway blankness in his eyes.

“Suho hyung, are you sad.” Sehun asked.

“No, why would I when I have my brother with me.” Suho fake smiled and said.

Sehun did not say anything for a while. He then with a sigh stood up from where he was perched and turned to face Suho. With a hard stare and resolve he lifted his right hand and slapped Suho hard.

“WHO ARE YOU SUHO HYUNG?”

Suho was stunned. His left cheek burnt and his eyes watered. Sehun looked so angry with him.

“ANSWER ME, WHO ARE YOU?” Sehun shouted in frustration.

“I, I am Suho, your brother… and … and a death demon?”

“NO, WHO ARE YOU?”

“I am Suho?”

Sehun growled in anger and pulled his hand again as if for another hit.

Suho’s face hardened and he warned, “Se-hun…”

But Sehun, didn’t stop, another punch landed on Suho’s shoulder this time. But the next time Sehun raised his fist, Suho snarled and lunged at Sehun. They grappled for a few minutes but Suho came on top.

Sehun looked up and Suho and smiled widely, “there you are. The king of Asegi, red thunder who stands undefeated in battle till date.”

Suho sat down confused.

“Tell me red thunder, what will you do? I am not asking the death demon Suho, I am asking the warrior king who destroyed hordes and hordes of demons.”

 Finally, Suho understood what Sehun was trying to say. He is Jongin’s Suho, but he is also the red thunder, the former king who along with Yifan built Asegi from the ground. He was never one to make do, instead he found ways to get what he wanted. Once upon a time long ago, Jongin had dropped into his life uninvited. Now he will do the same.

 

 

“Kai, meet my brother Suho.”

They did not hit it off like soul mates or Kai’s memories did not come back like a miracle when Sehun had introduced them. But slowly and cautiously Kai and Suho became friends. They sparred like warriors that they were, reckless and with intent. They debated and disagreed on politics and on days when Sehun and Suho were expected in the demon palace, Kai commanded dinner to be prepared and then personally waited for his friends to join him for the meal.

Siwon seethed that his son was again getting distracted with notions of friendship and such sentiments but when Lay pointed out that the Demon lord was slowly getting out of his anxiety and depression, he backed off.

Neither realized when, but at some point they started to meet even when Sehun was not around. They also did not realize when it became alright for Kai to spontaneously take Suho’s smaller hands between his large ones and warm them as they sat watching the snow fall.

It took almost 5 year after Sehun introduced them for Kai to hesitantly press his dry lips to Suho’s cheeks. He did not understand why Suho hugged him close and wept at that. For a moment he thought he was getting rejected but then Suho smiled amidst the tears and reached up to place a peck on his lips.

On quiet evenings, Kai would sit at his desk and work on diplomacy and politics. His advisors would come and go and he would take decisions on whether a dam has to be built or an additional hospital made a priority. Suho would sit quietly for hours and watch his Jongin grow stronger than ever in body and mind. Then late into the evening, they would have a meal together. Sometimes Sehun will join them and the trio would talk late into the night, sometimes Sehun and Suho would bid farewell to Kai and go do death demon business. But sometimes Kai will manhandle his tiny suho into his arms and with forehead kisses and light touches lull them both to sleep. His last thoughts would be of wonder as to how Suho fit so perfectly in his arms and filled every crevice and gap in his soul.

Their marriage was a given. No one was surprised but everyone was curious as to how a demon prince met and fell in love with a death demon. The kingdoms came together and the empire celebrated. One the second day of the wedding late into the night, Yifan who had arrived for the event sent a cryptic note to Suho asking him to meet in the west wing tower.

Yifan had aged but he had aged so well. There was a dignity and nobleness to him that truly made him larger than life.

“I wanted to give you something for your wedding that you will value beyond your husband and his home.” Yifan had said and handed him a velvet box

Suho knew the box well. It had housed his most precious object for a long time. Inside the box was his hourglass and the red sash he tied around his eyes during his years of blindness. With shaking hands, Suho set the box down and picked up the sash and looked at Yifan with barely contained hope.

“I remember Suho, I remember you and I remember what you mean to me.”

With a cry, Suho flew into his friends arms. It was like coming home.

“I missed you. I missed you so much. Every time I saw you, I ached that I couldn’t go to you.”

Yifan held him tight and they both cried.

“How? How did you remember me?”

Yifan laughed. The vibrations of which went through the whole of Suho’s body.

“How can I not remember? Once I saw this box, I started noticing you everywhere. The books you read, the weapons you used, the places we used to go, your place in the throne, your favorite food that over the years became mine too, the battles you won, your ideas of justice, your advice, your sacrifice… I can say you are my best friend, but that would be an understatement. You are half my life and I was stupid I didn’t see that earlier. What I did to you listening to that snake of a women…” Suho placed a finger ion Yifan’s lips.

“I was also stupid then Yifan. I should have trusted you and spoken to you, but I ran. Let’s not talk about the past. I am so happy I got you back. This is the best wedding gift I could have asked for.”

Yifan tightened his hold on Suho. After years of searching and piecing scraps and bits of the puzzle, he finally got the best reward he could have hoped for.

“Know this Suho. No matter what happens, you will always and always be my best friend. You will always have a home in Asegi and I will wipe out the entire demon land if Kai or anyone else hurts a single hair on your head.”

Suho giggled at that but then defended his husband saying, “that will never happen as long as I have Jongin.”

 

 

“What is he doing? Why is he hugging him like that?” Jongin was seething seeing his husband hugging the king of Asegi on top of the western tower.

“I think he changed his mind about you. I think Suho realized Yifan is a better choice than you after all.”

“WHAAATTT!!!” Jongin screeched

“I am kidding, calm down. My brother is an idiot but he is an innocent idiot. I am not sure if you knew but in the past, Yifan and Suho’s friendship was legendry. They had known each other almost all their life.” Sehun pointed out.

“But Suho never mentioned anything.”

“With good reason. Oh did you see that? Was that a forehead kiss? Oh my God, Suho is practically in his lap!”

“THAT BASTARD, I AM GOING TO KILL THAT YIFAN.” Jongin jumped off the balcony and made his way to his wayward husband closely followed by a laughing Sehun.

“Let him go! How dare you touch my husband?” Jongin shouted even as he made his way toward the two friends.

“Suho, get off that oaf!” Jongin commanded at Suho but Suho giggled and shook his head.

“But I am comfortable here. Yifan is warm.”

Jongin almost flew to the pair before he nabbed Suho and hid him in his arms.

“Stay away from him Yifan. I will kill you if you touch him.”

Yifan calmly rose up and came nose to nose against the demon lord. They both towered over Suho who was now stuck between them. While Jongin was slim and sinewy in build, Yifan was broad chested and simply muscular. They both sized each other for a moment and then Yifan stepped back.

“He is my best friend and I will do anything for him. Remember, if you hurt him, I will tear you limb to limb and wipe out your entire kingdom if that’s the last thing I do. This is a promise from Yifan the King of Asegi.”

They both stared at each other until Sehun broke the impase, “Ma ma, now that all threats have been made and protocols established, let’s all go and get drunk.”

 

 

On the last night of the wedding, Sehun took the newly wedded pair to a quiet secluded place in the forest. There, the dragon prince Tao and his two familiars, Chen and Chanyeol were waiting.

“Sehun? Whats going on?” Jongin asked curiously.

“I am yet to give you your wedding gift right? I have something special for you both.” Sehun replied.

“Tao?” Suho for a moment wondered if the dragon prince remembered him.

Tao turned to him and then shook his head sadly.

“No, I don’t remember you. But I know our story from Sehun. Let’s go. Trust me and trust Sehun. No harm will come to you both.”

They mounted the dragons Tao had brought along and as they flew across the cold night sky, Suho couldn’t help but lean a bit against Jongin for warmth.

They descended at a lake on top of a mountain.

The lake simmered with magic and there was something ancient and ethereal about it that set Suho’s heart to beat faster.

“Hold your hands tight and get into the water now.”

Sehun took their swords and coats.

“Se… Sehun, is this to…” Suho couldn’t help asking his brother with barely contained hope.

Sehun smiled and hugged his brother.

“We do not know for sure. This lake is wicked and it does what it pleases. But it’s magic. Let’s try?”

Suho had tears in his eyes, but then he nodded.

As if sensing his husband's fear, Jongin lifted him bridal style and walked into the water. Somewhere midway where the water go deeper Jongin stopped.

“Hold on to me and breathe in okay.” Jongin murmured gently into Suho ears. Suho took a deep breath and tucked his head under Jongin’s chin just as his husband pulled them under water.

For a moment nothing happened and then the lake simmered. Silver light rose from the water and surrounded the pair. Jongin felt like he was being dragged under by the current, but he held on to Suho tightly. Wisps of barbed silver threads tied him arms and tried to pry Suho away from but he held on despite the sharp pain of the barbs digging into his skin all over his body. He struggled to free himself but his mind was assaulted by strange images. His lungs ached and his brain felt like it was about to explode but he still held on to his beloved husband. Even in the last moments of his consciousness, he was sure not to let go of his dear husband.

 

 

When Jongin opened his eyes, again, it was to the sight of Tao for some strange reason, hugging his husband and patting his head. They were at the banks of the lake but beyond that everything was fuzzy for Kai.

“Why is everyone hugging my husband every time I close my eyes for a moment?” he mumbled. And then his mind assaulted him with pictures of Suho. No not Suho but his Jun. Jun who kept him inside his eyes, Jun who took care of him as a child. Jun who basically fed Jongin his own soul to keep him alive.

“JUN?” Jongin called out.

“JONGIN?” Suho tentatively asked.

Jongin stared at his husband who knelt beside him.

“Yes Jun, your Jongin. I remember.” He grinned.

Suho shrieked and fell on his Jongin before he could open his arms fully. They both fell back on the muddy wet ground unmindful of the pouting dragon prince or the brother who simply rolled his eyes. Jongin could see the millions of stars above in the night sky just past his husband’s head, which for some reason was firmly hidden away into his chest. He felt complete, he felt overflowing with happiness in fact.

“Let’s go home Jun, let’s go home.”