.15.

Promise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sehun took a deep breath, enjoying the smell of Seoul’s air he had missed. He was home. After 5 long ing years away, he was finally home again. With a wide smile, he lifted his suitcase and continued to walk to the arrival door.

                “Uncle Sehun!!!” Sehun heard a small voice calling him, and he walked faster. His smile widened when he saw those figures waving at him.

                “Taeminnie~!!!!!” Sehun finally arrived in front of them, dropping his bag so he can lift the little boy and spun him. The little boy giggled and screamed happily, hugging the tall man’s neck tightly. “I missed you so much. Has Taeminnie been a good boy?” Sehun asked him as he stabled the boy on his hips, while his fingers found the boy’s tummy and tickled them.

              Taemin barked a loud laugh, struggling to stop his uncle’s naughty fingers from tickling his tummy. “Taeminnie good! I tied shoelace!” the kid told his uncle with his own language. Sehun laughed at the answer, biting gently at Taemin’s cheek because he couldn’t stand his nephew’s cuteness.

                “That’s great Taeminnie! You’re so cute oh my God!”

                “Hey, hey hey, am I invincible her? Aren’t you going to greet your pretty little Noona?” Dara sad sarcastically because Sehun didn’t greet her immediately. She had her hands on her waist in a bossy manner.   Sehun turned to look at her and laughed at the attitude. He approached his sister and kissed Dara’s cheek before hugging her petite figure. “Oh Sehunah, you have no idea how much I’ve missed you. I’m glad you decided to move back here.”

                “Yeah,” Sehun smiled as he buried his face in Dara’s hair, it has been like forever since the last time he’s seen Dara. The four years old boy in his hold didn’t want to be left out, so he joined them by hugging both his mother and uncle’s neck. “I can’t stand living so far away from you guys.”

                “From Baekhyun, you mean?” Dara teased his brother, and Sehun pulled back from the hug when he heard this.

                “Noona, it’s not funny,” he said while pouting his lips. He tried to find another topic, looking at his sister to find something to insult from her. Boy, was he surprised to find that he didn’t realized the change in his sister’s hair.

“You cut your hair,” Sehun ran his fingers through her sister’s short hair. They haven’t met for almost two years, since the last time both of them meet when Dara visited him at the States. She still had her long black hair back then, and suddenly she had this hair. Short and blonde. She never liked short hair before because she always thought it made her look like a boy.

                “Yeah, and I dyed them blonde,” Dara brought her own hands to her hair. “Your brother in law forced me to do it. He said I look more beautiful like this, but th—“

                “You do!” a man walked from behind Dara and joined the conversation. He approved what Dara was saying, making the three of them shifted their gaze to him.

                  Sehun’s breath hitched. Byun Baekhyun. Beautiful as ever, so beautiful it made Sehun’s heart clenches. He never fails to take Sehun’s breath away. His hair looked so freakin hot in its purplish-black color, but nevertheless suited him.

                    “She was always beautiful but with this hair she looked stunning, don’t you think, Sehunnie?” Baekhyun circled his arm around Dara’s waist as he stood beside her, making Sehun squint his eyes seeing this.

                Dara laughed at Sehun’s stare and pushed Baekhyun’s arm away from herself. “No public display of affection in front of the baby, darling. Especially in front of this baby.”

                “This baby?” Baekhyun pointed at Taemin who was still in Sehun’s hold, tickling the boy’s waist and made him squirm and giggle. “Or this baby?” Baekhyun jabbed at Sehun’s broad chest.

                “Hey!!” Sehun protested when Baekhyun jabbed his chest with his slim finger. “I’m not a baby!”

                “Oh, really?” Dara brother.

                Taemin laughed hard seeing his mother and uncle arguing like this. Eventually he wriggled in Sehun’s hold and reached her hand to Dara, who understands and took him from Sehun.

                “Next time, baby, Umma gets a kiss from Uncle Sehun first. He always kissed Umma first, you know.”

                Sehun laughed at how childish her sister was. She never wanted to lose in anything from anyone. Not from Sehun. Not even from her kid. She didn’t even want Taemin to defeat her in winning Sehun’s kiss.

                “Umma!” Taemin was upset at her mother’s scolding, but hee hugged her neck. “Uncle Sehun always ppoppo you first!. I only have his kiss kiss for 4 year. Not fair.”

                Sehun shook his head, realizing how he missed his sister iness even to her own son. He smiled seeing the mother and child fight while the two walked away to the exit door. He then turned around to found Baekhyun standing with his arms folded in front of his chest and an eyebrow raised. The now black haired male dragged his suitcase as he walked closer to the other who was giving him a sly smirk.

               “Nice to see you again, my little Pup.”

Flashback

                “This will never work, will it?” Dara asked Baekhyun in a cracking voice. The both of them now were sitting side by side on Sehun’s bed, not forgetting to lock the door to avoid the confused stare everybody was giving them.

                “What won’t work?”

                “Us? This wedding? You’re... you’re going to call off this marriage, right?”

                “No, I’m still marrying you.”

                “Baekhyun..” Dara touched Baekhyun’s arm, until the younger man finally looked up from his lap and stared straight into her eyes. The young women’s heart hurts a lot when he saw Baekhyun’s tears. It was the same feeling when he saw her baby brother cried, when she saw the pain in Sehun’s eyes. Why did she feel like she was the one causing pain for everybody?

                “I’m not... going to disappoint our parents, Noona. I’m not... I don’t want you sad.”

                What Baekhyun said made Dara smiled. This guy was such an angel. She knew why Sehun was so in love with him. She felt the same, she knows how it’s like to love Baekhyun, and she was so happy that she had the chance to marry this amazing guy, but Dara knows this won’t work out. She knows that if this marriage is still happening, she’s just going to hurt Baekhyun, Sehun, herself.

                “Baekhyun-ah, listen,” she turned her body to face Baekhyun. “I know you think I want this to stop because I don’t want you to get hurt, but please, don’t flatter yourself, okay?”

                “Excuse me?” Baekhyun furrowed his brows, not understanding what she just said.

                “I... yes, I did said once that I love you,” it was hard to confess, but Dara had to do this. “Yes, I did love you. I still do. But the thing is… as much as I love you, Baekhyun-ah.. I love my baby brother more.”

                Baekhyun frown deepened. He didn’t get what Sandara was trying to say.

“Sehunnie was… he was always my knight in shining armour,” when Baekhyun stifled a laugh (then apologized) at this, Dara shook her head. “I know it sounds silly, but it’s true.”

                “But I thought… I thought that  you were his angel? His guardian angel?”

                “I… When we were small, yes, I was the one who was always protecting him from the bullies, the one who pay for the apartment rent, the one who defended him in front of my parents when he came out on his uality. I bet… I bet he told you all that, didn’t he?”

                Baekhyun nodded. That was exactly what Sehun told him.

                “That was… how it used to be, yes. But as the both of us grew up… he was... he was like paying back everything I did for him, even though I didn’t feel like it was something that needs to be paid. Do you know how fast he lost his 30 pounds back then?” Baekhyun shook his head. “40 days.”

                “40 days??” it was impossible!

                “I know, right? I wouldn’t believe it either if I didn’t witness it with my own two eyes,” Dara said while letting out a sad smile. Her eyes were glassy, and she seemed like she was having flashbacks of her childhood memories with Sehun. “He said he did that because he didn’t want me to be embarrassed having a brother like him. I love him the way he was, Baekhyun-ah, but society is very cruel. They kept insulting him, even in front of me. I cried a lot because as a grown up, I couldn’t just hit anybody who insult my baby brother like that again. As we grew up, I realized I didn’t have the physical trait suitable to protect him. I was so angry at myself. But he told me that it’s going to be okay. The next thing I knew, he was straining himself with so much workout and extreme diet to lose his weight. So I wouldn't cry when I saw him being bullied. So they won’t bully him anymore. So I didn’t feel the need to protect him anymore. So I wouldn’t feel like I failed in protecting him.”

            Baekhyun felt like his heart was being stabbed by a million pieces of needles because it pained him to hear this story.

            “When he came out to our parents about his uality, I did defend him at first. But he was that strong to stand strong to his choices, and eventually our parents softened. They finally accepted him for who he is now. I didn't fight for him, he fought for himself. And the apartment rent? I paid half a rent, because our Dad helped us at first. It wasn’t even our first year here, and Sehun suddenly showed me this receipt paper.”

                “He paid the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter