.12.

Promise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

               Baekhyun was just heading out the post office when Jaehun jumped off his bike and greeted him.

                “Oh, Ahjusshi,” Baekhyun bowed to the old man. “How are you?”

                “I’m fine, boy,” Jaehun supported his bike a couple step and leaned it to the wall in front of the door to the post office. Baekhyun followed him back inside the building. “It’s been a while since you came here, what happened?”

                Baekhyun smiled to the old man. He didn’t say anything, instead handing the other a card. Jaehun’s grinned when he saw what it was. “An invitation? Finally? Did you finally meet him?”

                Baekhyun, who had his black hair back for the wedding, only shook his head while chuckling. “No. It’s a she.”

                Jaehun’s eyebrow furrowed when he heard this. He was hoping Baekhyun at least was too busy to come to visit him because he finally met his pen-pal and was in a romantic relationship with the guy and was too busy dating or something. He didn’t expect this, “A she? Oh.. Oh Sandara?”

                The young man nodded weakly with a smile plastered in his face. Somehow, Jaehun did not like this smile. This isn’t the smile he usually get from Baekhyun. Jaehun sat down on a bench and put the invitation on his lap. He then patted the spot next to him, signaling Baekhyun to sit there.

                “What happen to this.. Pokey?”

                “Poker Face, Ahjussi,” Baekhyun corrected him. “He wanted us to respect his nickname,”  Baekhyun told him, prentending to laugh but inside he was trying hard to suppress the nausea he felt when he remembered the phone call with the guy. Jaehun couldn’t help but laughed along at this. “He.. actually I came here to tell you that..,” Baekhyun hesitated. He wasn’t really sure he really wanted to do this. “I wanted to.. close my PO Box.”

                He had sent Pokey so many letters after their last phone call. But he never received any reply. He waited and waited. He waited for more than a month, but no reply ever came. Baekhyun was tempted to call the number Pokey used to call him with, but he was not ready for the rejection. Baekhyun had been so down and gloomy since that day, and no one knows why, nor are they able to cheer him up. And to make it worse was the disappearance of Sehun. Since the family meeting, the younger male avoided him at all cost. That night, he was sure that he wanted Sehun. He realized that it was impossible to love two person at once, and he decided then that his feelings for Pokey was only admiration. After Pokey ‘dumped’ him, he knew he couldn’t fall in love with a person he never met. He did felt embarrased when he recalled what happened that day. He was crying and screaming like a crazy person in the middle of the street and made a lot of crowd there. But after what happened, he decided, he choose not to fall in love with Poker Face. That guy couldn’t even hold his words, he left Baekhyun waiting for 3 ing hours and did not show up, only saying goodbye through a phonecall. Baekhyun didn’t even know why he ever thought Pokey and Sehun was the same person. They were totally different. He almost confessed to Sehun that night, even though he knows they couldn’t be more than in-laws. Seeing Sehun leaving like that hurts a lot. He was so sure that he finally fell in love with Sehun. At least Sehun didn’t left him like that. At least Sehun was always there for him.

                Or so Baekhyun thought. Because he wasn’t.

                Baekhyun met Sehun again a week after the family dinner at his botique, where Sehun accompanied Dara to fit her wedding dress. His personality changed 100%. He wasn’t the playful silly Sehun who like to throw jokes and insults at him. It was painful for Baekhyun to have Sehun there but not saying a word to him. He even avoided eye contact with him. Baekhyun pretend to be happy for Dara, she didn’t deserves Baekhyun’s gloomy mood. Neither of this was her fault. Her face was beaming with joy, even though later she asked Sehun if he’s sick, because he really didn’t say a word that day. He just sat at the sofa across the small podium where his Noona was standing, and he only nodded whenever Dara asked him if it looks good on her. Baekhyun watched Sehun all the time, that day. He couldn’t fathom why Sehun was so sad, and why the younger man put that kind of expression on his face, but Baekhyun didn’t like seeing him sad. When Dara turned to him for his opinion, he told her she looked stunning. He wasn’t lying, she does look very pretty. But why doesn’t it feel right? Why does it hurt Baekhyun that Sehun was not the one planning this wedding with him?

                “Pardon me, Baekhyun-ah?” Jaehun’s voiced pulled him back to reality. The old man was sure he misheard the boy. “You want to what?”

                “I.. stopped writing to Pokerface a while ago, and I think.. I will never will write to him again.”

                “Just because you’re going to marry soon?” Jaehun waved the invitation card in front of him. “You can’t do that. You don’t lose a friend because of a marriage. I..” Jaehun didn’t know what to say. He was really hoping a very happy ending for Baekhyun and this Pokey, but this ending? He wasn’t expecting.

                Baekhyun gave him another sad smile. “I .. everything in life is a choice, Ahjussi. But when it’s life who choose for us, when life choose us a different path than the path we wanted, what can you do?”

                Hearing this, Jaehun can only smile and give Baekhyun a hug. He can only wish the best for the young boy and promised him he’ll be there at his wedding.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

“Why so gloomy, dear cousin?”

                Yifan who already came back from his honeymoon sat down beside Baekhyun at the sofa in the recording room. Yifan was free today, and when Baekhyun called to say that he missed his cousin and wanted to see him, Yifan invited Baekhyun to visit him at the studio.

                “Not happy that you’re going to marry soon?” 

                Baekhyun did not answer. He was just staring blankly at nothing in front of him. He hadn’t met Sehun for 2 months. He called his office but they always had a reason to not connect him to Sehun. And he was afraid to ask for his number, because what kind of fiancé are you asking for your fiancée’s brother’s cellphone number? For the same reason he refused to ask Luhan or Yifan for Sehun’s number. From what Dara told him, Sehun didn’t came home the night they had dinner together, and he was very busy lately she barely see him at home. What was wrong with Sehun? What happened that night? What did Baekhyun do? Why was he avoiding him since?

                “Hey,” Baekhyun was a littlle startled when somebody patted his knee. It was then that he realized Yifan has come back with two bottles of Cider, offering one to Baekhyun.

“Oh, Yifan Ge,” he answered weakly, taking the bottle Yifan offered, only to put it away on the table beside the sofa he was sitting on. Yifan tilted his head and frowned at Baekhyun’s reaction. Never did he expect Baekhyun to appear gloomy and down like he is now. Baekhyun usually was so bubbly and cute. He never saw Baekhyun so sad except when he came to his house one night, crying his eyes out and telling him he was never going to talk to Yoona again for making their parents leaving him alone in Seoul.

                “What’s wrong, man?” Yifan leaned forward and clasped his hands to rest his chin on top of them. “You seemed so.. lost.”

                “I am, Hyung,” Baekhyun said honestly. “Hyung.. did you.. have you heard anything.. about Sehun lately?”

                Yifan’s ears perked up at this. He raised his eyebrows and smiled. “Sehun?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter