One man speaking

Monster Radio

 

 

“It´s been a while since I had the morning show. Did you miss me, guys?”

Because I had a shift both on Christmas day and New Year´s Eve, I could skip the morning one. And so it happened that in about two weeks I haven´t had the morning show once. Good thing was, that out of all the DJs taking turns for the show in Sungmin´s absence, today I got matched with Kim Ryeowook. He was the youngest DJ but I felt comfortable around him. Sometimes I even spoiled him, everyone has a co-worker like that.

“You didn´t want to wake up for the show, Eunhyuk?” Ryeowook joked.

“The opposite! I was so eager to greet our listeners that I woke up really early but none of you guys were here,” I chuckled and the young DJ couldn´t contain his amusement.

“Is that so? What kind of song should we play for our precious listeners then?” He asked me. Usually songs were predetermined by the popular chart, staff or listeners but I was famous for disturbing such predeterminations and Ryeowook knew.

“You are listening to Shim Shim Ta Pa, Eun and Ryeonggu are the DJs for today, I hope you start your day happily. The next song is Kim Jaejong´s ´Good morning night´.”

The song began playing and I put down the headphones to chat with Ryeowook. We used to meet out of work a lot in the past but nowadays there was no time. To be honest, most of my free time ended up consumed by Lee Donghae.

“I heard you became friends with Lee Donghae,” I jumped in my seat when Ryeowook mentioned the person I was just thinking about.

“Ah, yeah. We´re the same age so it naturally happened that way,” I struggled to answer.

“You know, I did notice your name on the front page of tabloids,” the younger of us glanced at me bemused.

“Alright, it was a little complicated at the beginning but now we are really friends. We meet quite often!” I flashed Ryeowook a wide smile.

“You don´t have to prove me anything,” he then sighed, “I was just worried.”

“Aw, so cute!” I cooed and ruffled his hair. I really liked this boy, he was very kind.

When we finished at the radio, Ryeowook excused himself for he had another schedule. He was actually a singer and a celebrity as the rest of the DJs. I was the only one who wasn´t an athlete, announcer or a singer. I didn´t really wish to be famous, music was the reason I was in the business. But it was slowly becoming apparent that my name would pop up if you wrote it into a search engine. And the reason?

“Hyukjae? You just finished the morning show, right?” I picked up the phone and the caller didn´t even let me utter a single word. “I was listening, I like JYJ songs too,” I learnt to quietly wait until the man finishes talking. He usually gets to the point at the end of his monologue. “I´m on my way from a drama shoot, have you had breakfast already? I´m sure you only had snacks. I could pick you up in fifteen minutes, wait in front of the station!”

“Sure, Donghae,” I answered and the line went deaf. Perhaps, Donghae didn´t even wait for my answer. Sometimes when he had a long monologue like that, he would forget that the other side didn´t yet have a chance to respond. He would then assume that the other party agrees and the whole matter is settled. At first these conversations were pissing me off but then I realised that Donghae wasn´t doing this on purpose, that the famous star was also an airhead at times. Now I was used to it and didn´t mind to be left out of our dialogue at all.

I obediently waited in the radio station for a while before coming out in front of the building. A black suspicious van stopped next to the pavement and I fearlessly climbed on the front seat next to the driver. The man behind the steering wheel, Donghae´s handsome manager, smiled at me with a tired face. I guess the drama shoot went overnight, I turned to look at the actor, who sure was napping on the backseat.

“I knew that Napoleon would be asleep,” I snorted and Donghae´s manager chuckled.

We stopped by a small restaurant and woke up the actor. Donghae was a little confused and blindly followed us inside. We ordered soup for him and watched how the currently most famous celebrity kept swaying and trying not to settle under the table for a long sleep.

“Is the drama going well? You´re shooting the first episode now, right?” I asked in hope to wake up Donghae at least enough, so he would be able to bring a spoon to his mouth.

“Uh, yeah,” he blinked a few times and suddenly magically woke up, “it´s fun, I´m sure it will be a hit. It has a lot of outdoor scenes but I look good in natural lighting. And staff is really kind to me too.”

“I´m glad to hear that,” I said a little uninterested because the lady just brought our meals on the table. It´s not like I was any less tired than the others, only I was always awake for food.

“I will be quite busy now that there´s the drama,” Donghae kept talking even with his mouth full, “but I can make time for you, don´t worry.”

“It´s okay,” I snorted and Donghae´s manager couched.

I didn´t know what Donghae´s feelings toward me were, he has never actually told me. He asked me out but then he said he wasn´t in love. I didn´t know if he felt ually attracted to me or if I was in the friend zone now. I didn´t want to ask him, only hoped he wouldn´t make another pass on me.

“Fuuuu, fuuuu!” I frowned and looked next to me. Drop-Face was squatting next to me and blowing cold air at every spoonful I was about to eat. It was incredibly annoying because I wanted my breakfast to be warm. Not even talking about the fact that his face was this time on his forehand, it was insulting.

“Fuuuu, fuuuu!” A little bit of soup splattered on the table and I gritted my teeth. I quickly dipped the spoon into the soup again and tried to quickly eat it but it was cold again.

“Stop it,” I quietly hissed at Drop-Face who only grinned.

“Is something wrong, Hyukjae?” My remark didn´t get unnoticed by Donghae. I shook my head and continued eating, the cold soup was slowly getting on my nerves. Tiredness was making me more short-tempered than I actually was.

“Fuuuuuuuuuu!” A hard blow and even the rice dripped on the table, I´ve had enough.

“Would you ing let me have at least one peaceful meal? Disgusting creep,” I barked. It wasn´t loud, possibly people in the restaurant didn´t even hear it, but Donghae and his manager stopped eating.

“You didn´t have to come with us, you know,” Donghae muttered. I felt guilty all of a sudden.

“No, no,” I gestured with my hands, “I was talking to myself.” I gulped dryly when it was obvious that Donghae didn´t eat it.

“Talking to yourself about whom? Hyukjae, you have some nasty habits,” Donghae put down his chopsticks, he lost his appetite.

“Calm down,” I sighed, “it´s not about you.” I watched the trust between us evaporate slowly, I was scared that things would become ugly all over again. I didn´t want to cry over the phone again. “Donghae, you should eat, it´s delicious,” I tried to change the topic and ignore the fact that I was unable to deliver anything into my mouth.

“Either you tell me the truth or you visit a doctor, Hyukjae,” Donghae announced and stood up. The manager seemed very disappointed that he couldn´t finish his meal.

“Wait!” I stood up too and grabbed his sleeve. “You wouldn´t believe me, even if I told you. Let it go.”

“I see,” Donghae suddenly sat down again and continued eating as if nothing, “we will have to have a talk then.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hello! Finally, guys, you kept asking me about Hyukjae´s monsters and it´s here. Hyukjae is about to reveal something. :P Also, you might have noticed that i don´t update on Monday anymore. I had to change it to a ´random day of the week´ because I´m quite busy lately. I keep updating both My Monster guide and Stories to Fall for, in case you were bored. Thank you for reading and your interesting comments! - PandaHero