Unknown number

Monster Radio

 

 

“Today is a good day, isn´t it? For me it is because I can meet everyone in the morning too. What do you think, Sungmin?”

“Ah, of course! Especially since today I´m working with you. I heard you got into a cat fight with a top rate celebrity.”

“This,” I snorted, “we´re not fighting. It´s just friendly bantering.”

“Oh, so Eunhyuk DJ and Lee Donghae are friends?” Sungmin, you…

“No, not really.”

“I see,” Sungmin grinned. “It´s half past six and you´re listening to Shim Shim Ta Pa.”

I jabbed Sungmin´s ribs gently but he didn´t waver and finished the talk. Then I played a song and stretched myself on the black rotating office chair. My bare stomach poked out and Sungmin tapped the skin with his cold hand. I slapped him and pretended to want to hit him but he only laughed. I liked doing morning shows, Sungmin was the permanent DJ from six to eight in the morning and from four to six in the afternoon. We called him an announcer because he was in charge of news during those times. I would be one of the four DJs that used to join him for his morning show to liven it up a little bit. But who would have thought that today it would be on my account.

“That was a good one,” I commented while rubbing my eyes. I came right from the club and wished I could wear sunglasses. My eyes were red already.

“So, how is it? I was so surprised when I saw your name on Naver,” Sungmin asked after sipping from his morning coffee.

“Trust me, I was too,” I snorted. “I don´t know, we met by chance a few days ago and chatted for a moment. Nothing special,” I told him lazily but he rolled his eyes. “And maybe I joked around too recklessly.”

“That must be it,” Sungmin tapped my thigh and glanced at the red digital clock on the wall. “It´s time.” At his signal, I stopped rubbing my eyes and straightened myself. Looking at the script, I prepared myself for another ´friendly bantering´ with Lee Sungmin.

The show ended at eight AM straight. I put down the headphones and collected my stuff. Then I bid goodbye to the staff and Sungmin who looked at me as always with those shining eyes. He always seemed to be pleased to see me, sometimes he would even invite me to eat his wife´s cooking. In the radio, I was the senior DJ but outside it was the older man that would guide me. Sungmin saw life through completely different eyes than me but that was given, since I was the only one that saw monsters.

For it being the end of October, the morning felt quite warm. Well, not warm but not as cold as I expected. I had almost tears in my eyes when I imagined going out into the freezing weather but it didn´t happen and I walked to the bus stop with relief. With hands in my pockets and eyes stuck to the pavement I tiredly leaned against the bus stop sign. A little bit longer and I will be at home.

“Lee Hyukjae?” I snapped my head when a foreign van stopped in front of me. The back window was opened slightly and someone´s hand was signalling me to come over. Is this the moment when I will get beaten by Lee Donghae´s fans? I shook my head, I´m not Lee Hyukjae. Definitely not.

“Hyukjae hop on,” the window opened more and I realised that it was Lee Donghae himself.

“In that case,” my tired mind calculated that this taxi wasn´t bad at all. I opened the sliding door and sat down before closing it again.

“Morning,” I greeted both Donghae and the driving manager. Poor thing this handsome guy, the manager I mean.

“Where are you going?” Donghae asked me. He was wearing a crumpled dress shirt and his hair was messy. He must have just woken up.

“My house, I just finished the morning show,” I told him, “are you going to drive me home or was I just forced to take a tour around Seoul?”

“I´m returning from shoot in Busan,” Donghae ignored my speech altogether. “I´m filming a drama nowadays.”

“And you made me crash at your car to tell me about it,” I interrupted him. I was getting nervous, the digression to my house was getting near.

“Right now I feel like slapping you,” Donghae frowned, “but I´m too tired for that.”

“Good, I´m too tired to get slapped,” I snorted at Donghae and then leaned forward. “Would you mind dropping me off here? I can still catch my bus behind the corner.”

“Hyukjae,” Donghae was going to say something but the van suddenly stopped and I opened the door harshly.

“Thank you for the ride, see you again, Donghae!” I chirped and jumped off. Drop-Face unstuck himself from the ceiling of the car where only one more monster was left. Cowered like a turtle it was surely the manager´s thing. Even in that small place, I couldn´t see Donghae´s monster.

“Hihihihihi,” Drop-Face sensed my mood. I was tired after two radio shows and the party and he knew it, I already expected what he would do.

The bus arrived quickly and from the place I was dropped off by Donghae´s van it was only one stop. When I got home, I slammed the door behind me. I would always try to hit Drop-Face but I think he just passes through as if nothing. I went to shower; he was suspiciously quiet. The hot water was perfect for me at the moment. My muscles relaxed and I sighed in sheer content. Cleaning off the smell of yesterday´s dinner before radio, cigarettes and sweat from the club and morning sleepiness, I felt much better right away. Putting on random pyjamas, I jumped into my bed and closed my tired eyes. That´s when it began.

“Kikikikikiki.”

“Huhuhuhuhuhu, kikikiki, huhuhuhuhuhu.”

Beep, beep.

The last sound didn´t belong to Drop-Face and also it was the only sound that made me open my eyes. I was used to him disturbing my sleep so when I heard the refreshing beeping of my phone, it made me get up from curiosity. I glanced at the blue display seeing the weird message from an unknown number: ´Manager got me your number from KTR staff so I could inform you that #obnoxiousEunDJ is currently trending the chart ^^´

I was looking at the message baffled. Even Drop-Face noticed my concentrated face when I began searching the internet. Very quickly I came across a post of Lee Donghae. A photo of bad quality was showing me as a small person in the crowd, walking towards the bus stop. Underneath was written: ´I only wanted to drive you home T_T´ The familiar hashtag was added too and I clenched my teeth. Drop-Face was watching me from the ceiling.

“Kikikikikiki!” Somehow this annoying laugh calmed me down. Anyway, I´m saving this unknown number.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Asa! Here you have the next chapter. I´m still wondering what kind of labelpaste on the story. HaeHyuk+HyukHae combination is leading currently but there are more HaeHyuk readers. Ah, so complicated. Still, I hope you are enjoying yourself. Take care, don´t catch a cold and happy Halloween? :D - PandaHero