Progress and Promises

Catch A Falling Star

A few days later, the hallways were filled with the university flags and posters.

"Wah. What's with all the school spirit?" Moonbyul asked out loud, shocked by the appearance of the hallways. 

"You didn't hear?" Whee In voiced out. "Our girls' volleyball team won the league."

"And our guys' football team made it to quarter-finals after they won yesterday's match." Solar continued. 

"AND your boyfriend happened to score the winning goal." Hwasa added with a smirk. Moonbyul blinked at the three of them-

"How did you all know that?" She asked, confused. 

"Didn't you read the daily news on the university's website this morning?" Solar asked, pretending to look disappointed that Moonbyul wasn't up to date on school events. 

"Aniya." Moonbyul shook her head. "I was busy driving you ahjummas to university!" She said playfully before walking ahead.

"Yah! Take that back!" Solar exclaimed chasing after Moonbyul who sped up her pace after calling Solar an ahjumma. The other two maintaned their steady pace and watch as their older friends bicker. Whee In leant close to Hwasa as she walked. "Notice how she didn't mind the boyfriend term."

"I'm way ahead of you" Hwasa said as she smirked.

As usual, Moonbyul retreated to the library after lectures and studied for a few hours while waiting for Whee In and Hwasa's lecture to be finished at 6pm before going home. She glanced up at the wall clock of the library and decided to head off as it read half past five. She grabbed her belongings and headed out of the library. She was fiddling with her phone to see if she received any messages from anyone when a voice greeted her. 

"Anneyong Byulssi." A familiar voice called. She looked up from her phone and saw Minhyuk smiling at her. She stopped walking when she reached him.

"Oh Minhyukssi, anneyong" she said and gave a bow. "Are you heading in?" She asked as she pointed behind her. 

"Nae." He answered. The glanced at the library doors and back at her. "Are you heading back already?"

"Nae." She answered. They fell into a awkward silence. Moonbyul glanced at him who was looking around them- clearly finding something to distract him from the awkwardness. She then felt the need to say something.

"I heard your team won yesterday." Moonbyul stated. Minhyuk's eyes lit up as he faced her instantly. "Congratulations."

"Kamsahamnida." Minhyuk said bowing slightly. "It's looking really good for us this year. Hopefully we'll make it to the semi-finals."

"When's your next game?" Moonbyul asked sincerely wanting to know. 

"Next Monday." He answered instantly. 

"Ahh not long from now." She said nodding away, "Fighting!"

"Nae!" And then, there's that silence again. They looked around again, avoiding each other's eyes. Suddenly Minhyuk thought of an idea. Minhyuk rubbed the back of his neck and found that the ground was very interesting to look at. "Would you like to come watch?" He asked super fast and quietly. 

"Sorry? I didn't hear that" Moonbyul asked as she leant closer to him. 

"I uh, - Would you like to come watch me- us- I mean, the team play next Monday?" Minhyuk stuttered nervously. Moonbyul's eyes went slightly wider upon realisation to what he was saying. 

"Oh. Kamsahamnida. I would love to come watch you guys play.." she started as she met Minhyuk's eyes- not missing how it lit up. She quickly continued, "But the thing is, I have a group project to finish and the presentation's on Tuesday. So I don't think I can."

"Oh." Minhyuk replied quietly as his shoulders dropped in disappointment. For some reason, Moonbyul hated seeing that sight, she hated the thought that she might have possibly let him down. 

"But I'll be sure to go to the semi-finals match if you make it" she said brightly as she gave him a cute smile once he faced her again. "Which I'm sure you will."

"Really?" Minhyuk asked with hopeful eyes.

"Sure." She said while flicking her hand. "I'll even drag the girls along!" She chuckled. 

"That's great!" He exclaimed surprising Moonbyul with the volume of his voice. "I'll be sure to work hard in this match!"

"Good" She said nodding at him. 

"Good." He copied. Moonbyul looked around and to her wrist watch. She met his gaze again.

"I better get going." She said as she pointed her thumb to her back. "The others are probably waiting for me." 

"Ok. Drive safe!" Minhyuk bid her farewell. "I'll see you then."

"Bye" she said as she bowed before leaving his sight. 

Minhyuk pumped his fist and shouted YES in his head when she was out of sight. No matter what it takes, he'd make sure they win the quarter finals match.

"Hello cutiessss!" Moonbyul greeted Whee In, Solar and Hwasa as she arrived to her car. They were already there, waiting for her.

Solar looked at her skeptically- Moonbyul was too happy today. She decided to let it slide as it's not a horrible thing. She loved seeing Moonbyul's happy and excited side. So instead of acknowledging Moonbyul's actions- she smiled at the light coloured hair girl who has just arrived.

"Unnieee, what took you so long?" Hwasa whined walking up to her and staring her down. Moonbyul's eyes widened in shock and avoided Hwasa's intense gaze.

"What?" Moonbyul checked her wrist watch. "Yah! I'm on time! Do you want to walk home today?" She said as she smirked straight into Hwasa's face. 

"Aniya unnie!" Hwasa started, as she wrapped her arm around Moonbyul's shoulders. "Mianhe. Saranghe."

"Ok kids, that's enough." She said while chuckling and getting into the car. They strapped in and Moonbyul started the engine. "LEGGO!" Solar yelled. 

The three dongsaengs looked at her weirdly to which she blushed and said a very quiet sorry. They laughed together and headed on their way. 

"By the way-" Moonbyul voice out as they drove out of the University campus. "We're all going to watch the semi finals football match together." 

"What? Why?" Whee In asked as she furrowed her eyebrows. "Aren't they playing quarter finals now."

Moonbyul shrugged and said "I told Minhyukssi we'll go watch him play- if the make it." 

"What? Why?" Whee In repeated holding the same expression. 

"Because he asked me to." She said in a matter of fact tone as if it was no big deal. She then smirked, knowing very well their reactions were gonna be huge. 

"WHAT?!" the three passengers shouted, leaning closer to Moonbyul.

"Yah! Guys!" Moonbyul yelled back as her shoulders flinched due to the noise. "I'm driving!"

The three of them leant back on their respective seats- not ripping their eyes away from the engineering student. Solar leant slightly on her side door to get a better view of Moonbyul. Despite to have shouted at them, she was smiling and laughing to herself as she drove. Solar's eyes softened and smiled at the sight before her. Today was really something. 

"You like him." Solar stated calmly. "Don't you?"

"So what if I do?" Moonbyul replied as she fought hard not to smile or blush but failed miserably. There was silence in the car from all 4 of them. Moonbyul glanced quickly at Solar who held a soft expression on her face while staring at Moonbyul. Moonbyul shifted to look into her rearview mirror and saw Hwasa and Whee In with the same expressions. "Whaaaat?" She asked them shyly. 

"Nothing." Solar replied. "It's just nice to see you like this." Moonbyul glanced again into her rearview mirror and saw the other two nodded in agreement with Solar.

"You guys are being weird!" Moonbyul exclaimed playfully as she accelerated slightly- wishing to get home faster so the weirdness would dissolve. As if it was that easy.