Going Nowhere

Catch A Falling Star

"You know, I was thinking a few days ago...” he looked to Moonbyul who sat opposite him at a small, cosy cafe. They were killing time as the movie they wanted to watch wasn't starting for a while. She looked to him and nodded her head slightly, letting him know that she was listening. "I only just realised that I'll be graduating soon."

"Seriously? Don't you anticipate it?" Moonbyul asked with a surprise expression before sighing. "I'm anticipating my graduation. I don't think I can take this whole studying thing anymore!"

She laughed and stared at her tea. She then realised that he hasn't spoken since. She lifted her head and saw that he was in deep thought over something. She reached her hand across the table and placed it on his, lacing their fingers together. Minhyuk's head snapped up at the sudden contact.

"Hey, what's wrong?" She asked softly.

"It's nothing. I just...” he struggled. Her then sighed and look to their hands before staring back up to her, "We won't be together."

"Oh." She said quietly, just realising that detail. She didn't know that he was already thinking that far ahead of their relationship.

"It'll be hard for us." He continued. He then turned nervous and hesitant. "Maybe it would be better if we..?"

Moonbyul's eyes turned from confusion to realisation as they went wide. She thought it over in her head carefully, to avoid any rash decisions. She smiled as she concluded that time and distance won't change the way she feels for the guy in front of her.

"I think we can make it. I have faith in us." She said as she gave his hand a gentle squeeze. His worried expression from before turned into a smile and her too squeezed her hand back. But she hasn't taken one thing into consideration... her smile faded and her eyes went wide with worry, "Unless you want to break up with me?"

"Aniya aniya. Let's not." He said, grabbing tightly to the hand she was trying to pull out of his grasp. "I... wasn't... I thought… Please stay."

She let a smile form again on her lips as she squeezed his hand gently, "Good."

"Because watching a movie with you after you dump me would have been awkward." She joked lightly before pulling him up and walking to the theatre. She decided that it wasn’t the time or place to get too caught up in what he said.

After the movie ended, they grabbed something to eat and afterwards, it was no surprise that they went for a walk as walks seemed to have become their thing now. They walked together in silence before Moonbyul glanced up at Minhyuk with a smirk and bumped her shoulders to his.

"I still can't believe you tried to break up with me." Moonbyul said as they were walking in the park. She had to admit that she did feel a bit awkward now after she had brought it up but they needed to talk about it sooner or later.

"I wasn't!" He said defensively before pouting. "Don't say it like that!"

"Then how should I say it?" Moonbyul asked in a light joking tone as she cocked her head to one side. A small smirk still played on her lips as she waited for his reply.

"That... I was trying to be kind, caring and considerate." He replied lightly as well although he did feel nervous and guilty for even having brought it up to her in the first place.

"By breaking up with me?" She challenged as she smirked up to him.

"Ani~" He groaned. Minhyuk wanted nothing more than to smash his head on something hard for that rash idea of his. Moonbyul on the other hand was enjoying herself a little more than she should have at his agony. "Mianhe. I wasn't thinking when I said it. I don't want to break up with you. It's the farthest thing from my mind."

"Hmm, your mind must have travelled far then." She smirked again and giggled slightly when she saw him hanging his head. She decided to put him out of his misery by pulling him to sit down on a bench by the side of the walking trail they were on.

"We should talk," she said calmly once they were seated. However before she could continue he cut in-

"You're not breaking up with me for real are you?" He said with a mix of worry and humour. Mostly worry. She laughed and hit his arm gently.

"Don't be silly." She grabbed one of his hand in hers and intertwined their fingers. She took a breath and tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear before continuing. "We only started dating not long ago, everything has been going great but now you want to break up and-"

Minhyuk opened his mouth to voice out something but she placed her finger on his lips before he could even get a word out. She chuckled and smiled cutely at him, subtly telling him to let her finish.

"You didn't mean it, I know. I understand." She said softly as she pulled her finger away. "But the idea of breaking up with me came to you for a reason. You wanna tell me exactly what you were thinking?"

"I was thinking..." he trailed off, trying to form the right words. "-that long distance relationships can be hard and it might be even harder for you considering I’m the one who left. So, since we haven't dated for long, I thought it would be safe to give you an out before things got too deep."

"Who says I want out?" She said looking him dead in the eyes making his heart soar at the intensity of sincerity in them. "I really like you. And I'm curious to see where this goes. I’m willing to go through the hard times because I feel like we have something worth fighting for right now. Sure, it isn’t set in stone that we’ll feel this way about each other forever but what if we do? If anything changes in these 3 months or even after, we'll deal with them when we get there. Ok?"

She watched as a small came creeping back to his face and felt him squeeze her hand gently before nodding. She was thankful that they could talk things out about their relationship and that they were honest with what they felt. She squeezed his hand back and she scooted closer to him.

"For now, eliminate all the negative thoughts from your mind." She said soothingly before smirking and getting all mischievous again, "And stop trying to break up with me!”

Minhyuk dropped his head to his hands and massaged his temple before looking back up to her in agony as she held her giggle. "You say it like I did it a million times. It was only once!"

"AHA! So you admit that you tried to break up with me?" She smirked smugly, raising her eyebrows to challenge him.

"Ah jinjja! You're driving me crazy!" He groaned.

"Well, get used to it because I'm not going anywhere." Moonbyul said softly and sincerely.

She looked back up to Minhyuk and saw him staring at her while smiling dreamily. She blushed and chuckled at his expression before pulling him off of the bench and resuming their walk

Their date eventually came to an end when Minhyuk drove up to her street. He switched off the engine and escorted her to the front door.

"Good night." Minhyuk whispered as they were standing infront of the girls' house.

"Good night." She wished back, smiling brightly. Minhyuk smiled back at her and realised that she wasn't going in yet. Her raised his eyebrows and chuckled at her innocent face.

"You should go in." He told her gently. "It's getting late."

"I would if I could." She answered with an amused smile. He raised his eyebrows at her while she looked down. He followed her gaze and realised that he has yet to release her hand.

"Oh sorry." He said releasing her hand immediately, a bit embarrassed. She felt a bit empty now that the cold has engulfed her hand- missing his warmth.

Moonbyul couldn't help but smile at how cute her boyfriend was being. Boyfriend. She will never get tired of calling him that. "Well, good night then."

"Byul ah" he called out softly just as she turned to the front door. She turned back around and raised her eyebrows. He was sporting a nervous look and she swears she saw his eyes dart to her lips for a split second before snapping out of his trance. "I uh... sweet dreams."

"Safe trip home." She wished him goodnight again as she entered the door, closed it and leant on it.

She bit her lip as she closed her eyes for a second before turning the door knob open again. Minhyuk was just about to head back to his car when he heard the door opening again, he turned around and was surprised to see Moonbyul standing before him- she tiptoed carefully and placed her lips onto his.

He was having a hard time processing what happened but all he knows is that she was in his arms, kissing him. He relaxed and kissed her back only for a second before she pulled away. Her face was flushed from either her actions or the cold, or both.

"Sweet dreams, oppa." She shyly whispered before pecking him once more on the lips and running back into the house in lightning speed.

Minhyuk was left wondering what had just happened. His face broke out into the goofiest smile ever known to man as he pumped his fist and jumped in victory. "Yes!"