Roses and a Note

Say Yes

“What?!” Mr. Seo exclaimed after almost spitting his milk drink out when Hyoyeon whispered to him about Seohyun’s distress after Luhan had confessed. “Clam down uncle. Don’t tell her I told you.” He nodded and drew her closer to hear more of the story. “So he confessed and Joohyun is now caught between two lovers? Wow!” Mr. Seo stared at the spotless table of his kitchen as Hyoyeon nodded. Seohyun was at the time, at the living room teaching her son some reading. “Man I got to tell Lu about this. My daughter’s been so secretive that she might burn her house down and I won’t even know it unless one of her friends tells me.” Mr. Lu shook his head sideways and released a series of “tsk” sounds. “I’m sure she doesn’t mean it like she’s ignoring you for not telling uncle. I think she’s finding the right timing.” Tiffany who was sitting on the other side of Mr. Seo commented and smiled at him. Mr. Seo nodded and thought about his only daughter, Seohyun and the man who’s been with her all her life, Luhan. Starting as enemies and then turning to an inseparable pair of close friends, Mr. Seo had imagined Seohyun and Luhan living together and not marrying. The two just seemed to not be interested in marriage and commitment with Luhan being a playboy and Seohyun very ambitious and unromantic. Then out of nowhere, his daughter came to him one day crying. ‘Appa I’m so sorry.’ Seohyun said in between her choking sobs. ‘Joohyun what happened?’ Mr. Seo alarmingly caressed her wet cheeks. ‘I’m pregnant.’ His eyes widened and he was so shocked he nearly stumbled and fell. But her next words shook him more. ‘With Luhan oppa’s child.’ Mr. Seo stood dazed for a few minutes as Seohyun apologized over and over again. Being a father and seeing that his daughter so broken and desperate, Mr. Seo dashed out of his serene home and drove in high-speed to the Lu’s. When he saw the face of Luhan, his vision darkened. He punched and cursed at him and swore to protect Seohyun from him. ‘I never thought you’ll do this to my daughter!!!’ He yelled at him and Luhan just stood in the middle of the street surrounded by gossipers crying and begging for forgiveness. For three months or so, he and Seohyun never spoke and met up with the Lu’s. Although he was disheartened with their families’ turmoil, Mr. Seo had decided to cut ties and never talk to them anymore even though it meant ending his friendship with Luhan’s father. But who is he to stop Seohyun and Luhan if they really can’t stand not being with each other, the next thing he knew, Seohyun and Luhan stood outside of his house crying while hugging each other so tightly under the pouring rain one cold night. And then now Luhan confessed to her. Mr. Seo didn’t know what to feel about it.
“Is that why Luhan’s not here? Is she avoiding him?” he asked. “Oh no. I mean sure Luhan and Joohyuk had been pestering her for weeks now and she just needs to breathe but everything’s fine between them.” Tiffany replied and excused herself when she realized that her son had fallen asleep while sitting on her lap. When Tiffany left the kitchen, Hyoyeon tugged on Mr. Seo’s shirt. “Uncle if you were to choose, who do you like better? Joohyuk or Luhan?” Hyoyeon asked in a whisper and eagerly waited for his reply like a kid. “Well, I don’t think I can say for myself since I don’t know a thing about Joohyuk. But if it’s only Luhan who’s courting her, I’d give him my blessing since they already have a child and I’m sure he’ll be a good husband to Joohyun.” Hyoyeon nodded. “I also like Luhan for her.” She told him honestly. “I’ll go phone Lu. Have fun Hyoyeon.” Mr. Lu exited the kitchen and Hyoyeon was left stirring her bowl of milk and cornflakes and then she decided to join Seohyun and their kids at the living room.
_________________
Lying on his bed with his bedroom look, Luhan was playing a game on his phone as Kyungsoo, Xiumin and Suho sat at the edge spacing out. “Why are we here again?” Suho asked but Luhan was so drawn to the game he didn’t hear him. “Luhan!!Why the hell did you make us come over when you’re not even welcoming us???!!!” Xiumin yelled and slapped Luhan’s thigh. “Ouuchhh!!!” Luhan, who basically hasn’t got up out of the bed and brushed his teeth yet jerked and sat down caressing his stinging thigh. “Okay. I’m thinking of playing soccer since I’ve got nothing to do and you three have nothing to do.” He told them as he nodded to himself. “You’re right I’ve got nothing to do hyung so get ready now before I change my mind.” Kyungsoo said in a passive tone as he stood up and went to a collection of rubics cubes on the vertical divider by the window. Luhan jumped off the bed and took some random clothes before heading to his shower. “God that man is like a child.” Suho shook his head. “What made you say that?” Xiumin asked even though he already knew what the younger guy had meant. “Did you know that he disguised last Saturday and followed Seohyun and Joohyuk on their date?! Not to mention he dragged Hyoyeon, Lay and Kai. And poor Krystal who happened to pass by as well!!” Even though Xiumin wanted to disagree with Suho about Luhan’s behavior, what he just heard made him reconsider. What the hell??!! He sighed and faced Suho. “Remember when I told you he isn’t acting so childishly back in that bar? Scratch that.” He told her and fell on his face on the soft bed.
As the four was about to head out of his room, the door had been knocked and a maid’s voice was heard from the other side of the door. “Sir, someone had sent this to you.” Luhan , Kyungsoo, Suho and Xiumin stared suspiciously at the bouquet of red roses that the maid carefully handed to Luhan. “Who sent it?” Luhan asked and the maid told him that it was just delivered without a returning address and the delivery boy just went away the second she took the flowers from him. They sat at the side of the bed as Luhan took the note attached to the bouquet and read it. “I love you too Luhan. I miss you.” The handwriting seemed off as if the one who wrote it purposely changed way of writing so as not to be found out of his or her identity hence the awkward attempt of an ornate calligraphy. “Hyung it says I love you too!!” Suho exclaimed and stared at Luhan wide-eyed. “But who sent it?” Kyungsoo asked. “Well duhhh!!!! Who else did Luhan say I love you to? Of course it’s Seohyunie!!” Suho excitedly jumped and Luhan was starting to feel excited and nervous. “Well, it’s hyung we’re talking about. Who knows he might have said those three words to every woman in this town.” Kyungsoo retorted back and Luhan glared at him. “I’ll call her!!!” Luhan giddily fished his phone and totally forgot that he promised her that he won’t pester her for that day. But surely she’d hate him if he doesn’t call when she just sent him her reply.
“This better be serious oppa. I thought you promised to give me a break.” From the other line, Seohyun was talking in a tired voice and Kyungsan’s voice together with Hyoyeon’s and Tiffany’s kids were heard. “Aye, stop pretending honey. I already received it.” Luhan cooed and flirtingly hinted the flowers. The three men with him had to turn away to stop themselves from puking. “Received what?” Seohyun’s curios and lost tone made Luhan giggle. “Pretending huh? I received the roses along with the reply. You said I love you too and you miss me.” He heard a “What?!” from the other line and followed by an “I did not send anything oppa.” from Seohyun. From the sound of her voice, Luhan knew she wasn’t lying and that it wasn’t really her who sent the flowers. “You didn’t? Are you serious?” he asked disappointed but more nervous. Then who sent these? “I’m serious oppa. Doesn’t it have a returning address?” she asked. “No it doesn’t have that’s why I assumed it was you. Anyways, maybe it wasn’t really meant for me.” Luhan apologized for disturbing and bid goodbye to Seohyun and Kyungsan. “But it’s not a mistake Luhan, you’re name is clearly written here.” Xiumin told the vexed Luhan as he read the words on the card over and over again. “I know that. But if it isn’t Seohyun, then who?” Luhan asked and furrowed his eyebrows. “Luhan, you didn’t go out with a random girl again did you?” Suho asked and placed a hand on Luhan’s shoulder. “No!! Why would I?” Luhan thought hard but no one had crossed his mind. I know for sure that I never said I love you to anyone else other than Hyunie so who? He asked himself. A mysterious note was just sent to him telling him he or she loves him too but it was definitely not Seohyun and there was no possibility for another girl to send him that unless----
“You!!! Are you pulling a prank on me??!!”
“What??!! Why us??!!”
“You wanted to make fun of me!!!”
The trio gaped at Luhan who was all of a sudden accusing them of pulling a prank. “So let’s say you were pranked but I can confidently tell you that it is not me hyung because one, I’ve got no time to fool around and two, if I were to buy flowers for a prank, it wouldn’t be roses. I wouldn’t waste money for a useless matter you know.” The always thrifty Kyungsoo spat at Luhan as he judgingly eyed him. “As for me, I did reserve some flowers from a flower shop. About 50 sets of various flowers but they’re to be delivered to Chen’s house next month as a congratulatory gift for his debut.” Suho reasoned and took out a receipt from his wallet and showed it to Luhan. “And as you can see, I ordered white roses not red.” He added. “And you wouldn’t seriously think I would pull a prank on you right Luhan?” Luhan nodded as he never considered Xiumin to be doing that to him anyway. Even though he was still bothered by the flowers, Luhan dismissed it and they went out to play soccer leaving the flowers to a maids care.
_______________
Staring at the powder blue-colored pill, Minah thought of taking it or not. It had been months since she had taken medicine and visited her psychiatrist. “I’m not sick.” She told herself and decided to put the pill back to a small wooden chest where the other pills of the same kind had been placed. “Darling?” Minah immediately closed the lid and hid the chest back to her drawer and locked it in haste. “Ye-yes dad?” she stammered. “What are you still doing there honey? You need to go to Incheon. Mr. Lu has a meeting there remember?” She nodded and escorted her father away from her room. She had been hiding from her father the fact that she was again diagnosed with her mental illness after years of recovery. But I am not sick so there’s no need to worry him. The doctor misdiagnosed me. She thought.
_______________
Seohyun’s phone beeped and she immediately opened it and read a message from Joohyuk. “Seohyunie I’m sorry I haven’t visited you the last couple of days. I had been busy. Enjoy and send my regards to your father.” Seohyun smiled and typed a reply and sent it. “Thank you.” A clearing of one’s throat got her attention and she turned to see her father walking towards her and sat on her bed beside her. “Who was that? Joohyuk?” he asked and mentally told himself not to mention anything that would tell Seohyun that he knew about Luhan. “Aaah yeah. He just said hi and he’s sending his regards to you as well.” Mr. Seo smiled and caressed her smooth hair. “What a nice guy. I hope I can meet him.” Seohyun nodded and told him she’ll invite the man next time. “And you like him?” Seohyun puckered her lips and shyly gazed at her father. Nodding and muttering a soft “yes” to him. It was awkward talking to her father about falling in love because Seohyun never thought it would happen.
_______________
“Not only that, Kyungsan seems to be really fond of him!!” Luhan aggressively kicked the ball to the goal feeling irritated by Suho’s reminders. “I know that Suho!!!” he spat and ran to fetch the ball. When he returned back, the four of them settled on the bleachers and ate the snacks they bought from a convenient store. “This expensive-as-hell sandwich is so bland what the hell?!” Kyungsoo exclaimed as he tried to find a satisfying aftertaste of anything from the sandwich but none came. “If only we asked one of the girls to make us sandwiches, I wouldn’t have wasted my money for this piece of .” He added and wrapped the sandwich back with its wrapper and took his can of coke and drank from it. “Yeah, too bad they are all busy today.” Suho commented. After finishing their snacks, the four men talked about random things but Joohyuk had always been the topic Kyungsoo, Suho and Xiumin wanted to talk about. “So what do you feel about Joohyuk?” Xiumin asked and Luhan hissed at him. “Of course I don’t like that he touches Seohyun so much.” He answered. But don’t you think it’s too unfair that you wouldn’t want him to even hold her hand yet you go overboard as to give Hyunie a French kiss? His conscience, as what he assumed it was asked him. Well, I can’t help it if the moment wanted some hot action. He nonchalantly replied himself. “But I understand why he likes her.” Luhan admitted.
The day had ended and the four decided to part ways as they each had something to do that evening. Luhan drove by himself back home when suddenly his mind was again crowded by the thought of the mysterious flowers and note. Tired and confused, he shrugged but one suspicion kept him boggled.

-----------

Hey guys!!!!!!!