Secret Refuge by the Lake

Say Yes

Seohyun and Luhan took turns in kissing Kyungsan and bidding farewell to their fathers who were talking gaily with each other at Mr. Seo’s kitchen. “Appa, uncle we’ll be leaving now.” Seohyun said and she and Luhan waved to their fathers. “Take care and be back before dinner time.” Mr. Lu told them.

Luhan held Seohyun’s hand tightly as they walked the uneven and rocky road towards the lake. As they were walking, they met their childhood playmates and they happily greeted them. “Careful.” Luhan told Seohyun when they reached the muddy earth of the forest. It was three in the afternoon and the high trees sliced the rays of the sun. It was a bit windy that day. Good thing Seohyun wore a pair of cream colored pedal shorts. Soil made way to the sections of her toes as she stepped on the mushy earth. “Look! Oppa the boat is there!” She excitedly pointed to the new boat their fathers bought in replacement of the old musty one. They now reached the center of the forest where a small lake was located. By their side was the new boat and across the lake, they knew there was the tree house they found together with the mystical lake when they were once lost in the woods. It was there secret playhouse as it was located some meters away from the edge of the lake and was usually covered by fog and trees.

Luhan and Seohyun smiled at each other as he pedaled them toward the other side of the forest. “How long has it been since we last visited?” Seohyun inhaled air as she thought about it while rummaging through their basket full of snacks. “Five years? We’ve been quite busy in the city.” “Is it that long?” Seohyun nodded. “Well I’m glad we get to visit again. It’s our secret haven after all.” Seohyun nodded and remembered something funny. “What’s with that look?” Luhan asked still rowing. “Do you remember that time in high school when you thought I drowned?” Luhan groaned remembering the incident and Seohyun smiled in satisfaction.

Flashback

‘Oppa we’re almost there!!! Yahoo!!’ Seohyun stood up and danced on the boat shaking it sideways hardly. ‘Yah!!! Do you wanna die???!!!!’Luhan asked in panic as he tried to steady the boat and row at the same time. ‘Yeeessss!!!!’ Seohyun shouted and placed a leg with all her weight in one edge of the boat. ‘Seohyun no!!’ Luhan shouted but it was too late. Seohyun had slipped and went down straight into the cold water. ‘Hyun!!!’Luhan shouted while looking over the clear water. He searched for bubbles or ripples that can point him where she had gone but there was none. The water was still again like before. He abruptly stood up and removed his sneakers and shirt- things that can make him heavier under water- and dived into the cold water. When he rose back to get some air, he grew more panicked because there wasn’t any sign of her. He dived in again and rose back to get some air with the same result. ‘Where are you?’ His heart was beating really fast as his lips quivered and teeth clicked and clicked against each other because of the cold.

A sudden force pushed him down the water and quickly released him. He gasped for air and heard a loud laugh from his behind. He turned around and found Seohyun laughing hysterically at him and then turned around to face the smoky forest. He didn’t care whether he looked funny to her and swam to her back. He pulled her to him and inserted his arms under her armpits and locked it by gripping her shoulders. ‘Were you afraid?’ Seohyun asked then scoffed. Luhan lowered his face and placed it on the junction of her neck. He nodded silently as he locked her more. ‘You brat. I thought you died.’ He said in low voice. ‘Oh goodness!! Me? Gonna die? Please.’ Seohyun removed his hands while laughing and swam smoothly towards the edge. ‘Don’t be such a paranoid girlfriend. You’re reminding me of your crazy fangirl Park Minah!!’ She yelled continuing her pace. ‘Yaahh!!! I almost got a heart attack!!’ Luhan yelled in annoyance and swam faster to reach her. Seohyun laughed. ‘I’ll get you! I’ll get you!’ Luhan yelled and Seohyun was already standing by the edge waiting for him.

END OF FLASHBACK

“You’re not planning to scare me like that again are you?” Luhan eyed her suspiciously although he knew she wouldn’t. “Oppa do you think I’m still a reckless kid?” She scolded him and he just shrugged his shoulders as a response.

The fog was so thick that they almost can’t make out anything except silhouettes of trees and rocks. “Oppa we can’t be lost.” Seohyun said warily. Luhan pulled her closer to his side with his left hand while his right was carrying the food basket. After a few minutes they finally found the thick and tall tree where their tree house was attached. Luhan tugged the rope ladder and smiled when it was strong enough. “We should renovate this house next time to make sure.” Seohyun nodded as they looked up and saw the wooden platform that served as the floor of their house with a square hole as their entrance from under. Luhan let Seohyun climb first and patiently waited below her ready to catch her in case she falls.  Then he climbed once she securely reached the top. “Wow.” He gaped as he watched the familiar place and Seohyun smiled to him. “Things are still the same. Almost like we just left for a few days.” Seohyun said and sat down the wooden sofa. “Yeah.” He seconded and rolled on the cold floor. Seohyun laughed and asked him what he was doing. “I want to camp here tonight.” He said as he turned up and sat down. “Sorry oppa but we can’t. Kyungsan will cry.” Luhan nodded understanding what she said. “Oh look!” he pointed to the small lidded box at the side just below the open window. They scooted to the box and sat with their backs on the wall made out of logs. Luhan placed the box on his lap as Seohyun rested her head on his shoulder and outstretched her legs beside his. Random things were placed inside: Pebbles, photographs they took together, a hairpin, movie tickets, a straw and some coins. These were things from their younger days. They busied each other by recalling the stories behind these random things. “I don’t seem to remember the story behind this straw Hyunie.” Luhan picked the black straw from the box and showed it to Seohyun. “This was the straw of that chocolate flavored milk tea Sehun bought me back in high school oppa.” Luhan furrowed his eyebrows. “Why would you keep such a thing?” he asked annoyed and gestured to throw it outside through the open window when Seohyun stopped him. “There’s no such reason why I kept it. I just happened to place it in the box. It’s full of random things anyway. But you can’t throw it because it has turned into something that has sentimental value to me.” Luhan rolled his eyes and placed the straw back to the box and closed it with the lid.

They shared the sandwiches Seohyun made back in her father’s house and a fruit punch from a tall and big tumbler. They ate and told stories to each other just like how they did before. Luhan had found a huge blanket from the drawer and placed it over Seohyun’s cold legs. They continued to talk about things they did the past few days because they weren’t able to meet. Seohyun was overjoyed when Luhan admitted that he had somehow formed a bond with EXO and played soccer with them once. “And by the way Minah has returned.” He said and continued when Seohyun pried him more. Seohyun smiled hearing how Minah changed for good. “How ‘bout you? Something new?” Luhan asked. “Oh no. Just the usual. Write then go to the orphanage.” Seohyun replied. “Really?” Seohyun nodded but stopped when she remembered a certain someone. Luhan sensed something and furrowed his eyebrows when he saw Seohyun trying to stop herself from smiling not to mention she was blushing. “Are you hiding something from me?” Seohyun flinched and cleared when she was almost busted. “No-no  oppa.” She lied. She didn’t want to but she was hesitant knowing how Luhan’s so protective of her. Luhan knew she was lying but he decided to let it go.

They still had an hour and a half so they decided to take a nap. Seohyun curled towards Luhan as he wrapped them with the cold blanket and placed her head on his bicep. The afternoon was cold enough that made the two fall asleep almost immediately. They were both in their deep slumbers when Luhan was awoken by his phone. He groaned and realized it was the alarm he set before they slept. He glanced to Seohyun’s sleeping face and broke down to a smile. He straightened her lank hair before poking the big cushion under her right eye. Seohyun stirred before slowly opening her eyes. “Wakey wakey Hyunie.” Luhan said and gave her a soft kiss on the forehead. “We need to go now.”

“Omma!!! Appa!!” Kyungsan exclaimed from the kitchen when he saw his parents. He was eating a bowl of cereals and Mr. Seo was washing the dishes while singing off tuned. Luhan carried Kyungsan and gave the child a throw upwards and caught him giggling. “More appa. I want superman!!” Kyungsan exclaimed and Luhan threw him upwards and caught him on his way down again. “Are you staying for dinner?” Mr. Seo asked turning around from the sink. “Sorry appa but oppa and I have something to do early tomorrow.” Mr. Seo nodded and told them that Mr. Lu had decided to stay for the night. “Where’s aboji by the way?” Luhan asked. “Outside t the plants.”

Luhan and Seohyun went out to bid farewell to Mr. Lu. “Oh okay. Slow down when driving Luhan.” He reminded as Seohyun gave her son a light push between the shoulder blades to kiss his grandpa. Mr. Lu smiled and kissed the boy back. “Bye now.” They waved to each other and the three started their journey back to Seoul.