Chapter 5

Vacation to Paradise

Chapter 5

 

Once practice was over, Kibum was packing his things and was ready to leave. His arms seemed to tremble with the amount of heavy items that he had. Jonghyun walked over and took his bag from the younger boy

 

“Let me help you carry this.” He suggested. Kibum blushed slightly and thanked the older for his help and the two left the studio.

 

“So, um, Jonghyun what do you think?” Kibum asked as they left the hotel. Kibum leading the way to his house. The older was a tad confused. He wasn’t sure what Kibum was referring to

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Do you think that if I win I can start a fashion line?” Kibum asked and Jonghyun understood. It seemed obvious that what Jessica said on the beach was still bothering Kibum. He almost looked embarrassed for not knowing who Jonghyun was and what sort of field he’s in.

 

“Key, don’t worry so much. I know you’ll do great, honest. And forget what Jessica said, ok? I know it's been bothering you. Don’t worry about it ok? This year will be your year so cheer up.” Jonghyun reassured the younger boy who seemed to be encouraged by Jonghyun’s advice. They continued walking in a comfortable silence. They passed many small shops and parks. Everyone offered a gentle smile and greeted them as they passed by.

 

Jonghyun’s mind was drifting on two thoughts, the first was figuring out how to get to the hotel from Key’s house. The second, oddly enough, was just about Kibum. Jonghyun found his insecurity intriguing, Taemin and Minho seem to think highly of his designs, but it’s as though what happened during the previous contest forced Kibum to shut down and his self confidence plummeted.

 

Without his realizing, Jonghyun and Kibum came upon a set of apartments. Kibum started to climb the steps to the second floor to reach his home. Jonghyun followed and helped Kibum carry in his things. The apartment was spacious for seeming so small. There was a sewing machine with a bunch of fabrics and a mannequin in the living room. There was a kitchen and one bedroom.

 

“I know it is probably not what you’re used to, but please sit down and I’ll get us something to drink.” Kibum said shyly. Jonghyun could tell that he was slightly embarrassed about having him there.

 

“Thank you.”

 

The place, even though was messy, felt very quaint and he released a big sigh. He was able to feel at home here, strangely enough for him. As he took in his surroundings he heard Kibum in the kitchen opening and closing the cupboard and preparing a refreshing drink to cool them from the summer heat. Kibum entered the living room and handed Jonghyun his glass while he scurried to pick up his things off the floor so that the older could sit down and use the table that was being used as a desk.

 

“Kibum, there’s no need, its ok.” Jonghyun said trying to stop him, but the younger shook his head and muttered something about how it was unacceptable to not have a guest sit down. Jonghyun finally sat down and took a gulp of his drink, which was nice and cool against his palate. The two sat in comfortable silence sparingly exchanging some small talk before Kibum sighed,

 

“Thank you for all of your help Jonghyun, I appreciate it.” He smiled at the older who thought that he had never seen a more beautiful, genuine, smile on anyone. Gulping visible he uttered a quick ‘you’re welcome’ and brought his gaze to the cup trying to hide a slightly blushing face.

 

“Listen Jonghyun, I know that you are going to help me and it is out of your own free will, but I must ask you for something.” Kibum looked at Jonghyun with a completely serious face. Jonghyun saw something else in his eyes, worry, commitment, and there was something else, something that he couldn’t put his finger on.

 

“Please, don’t let me down. I know I may have been naive with not knowing who you are and all, but since you and your friends are willing to help me, then I need you to promise me that you won’t let me down.” Jonghyun now knew what that something else was. What he saw in his eyes that he couldn’t name before was hope. Jonghyun had realized that just by agreeing to help, he gave Kibum some sort of hope that he could win. Jonghyun gave Kibum a soft smile he placed his hand on top of Kibum’s forearm.

 

“I won’t let you down, I promise.” Jonghyun eased the younger and then he said something that he couldn’t help, but say,

 

“You know, you say that you don’t know who I am, but I am in no better position. I practically, just met you and I am already doing you a favor, perhaps you should tell me about yourself too.” Kibum blushed profoundly at Jonghyun’s words, he was embarrassed that Jonghyun was now flirting with him and he had a point. Kibum didn’t tell him much about himself, but at the same time, he never asked.

 

“W-well, that’s because you never asked. I’m not one to go telling my life story to people.” Kibum retorted, trying to regain some composure. Jonghyun arched a brow, curiously,

 

“But, you’re willing to ask for favors?” Kibum was slightly hurt, but he tried to hide it. He got up and to his and Jonghyun’s glasses to the sink in the kitchen. Leaving Jonghyun to himself.

 

When Kibum came back into the living room, Jonghyun watched the boy as he sat down placing his sketchbook on to the table and began to make some sketches. Jonghyun watched him; he could physically see the gears turning in the boy’s head and transferring to his hand, making the pencil move with quick across the paper of the sketchbook.

 

“I want to get to know you.” Jonghyun said as he watched Kibum work. His pencil stopped immediately and his attention went to Jonghyun. He was shocked; his face looked like it was unbelieveable that Jonghyun would say something like that.

 

“I-I’m not that interesting.” Kibum retorted as he continued to bring his attention back to his sketches.

 

“That’s not what I see.” Kibum looked at Jonghyun once more, his work halted. Jonghyun didn’t seem like he was playing around.

 

“We are meeting up here for measurements tomorrow, right?” Jonghyun asked, making Kibum nod with a bit of nervousness.

 

“Well, since I’m new here, maybe you could show me around.” Kibum gulped, was this Jonghyun’s attempt at asking him out on a date?

 

“Taemin can do that better than me, he is a tour guide you know.” The designer retorted back now fully absorbed in the conversation. Jonghyun smiled and leaned in, the two were locked eye-to-eye.

 

“I want you to give me a tour, besides; Taemin gives tour for the people of the hotel. I don’t want to know about the tourist attractions.” Jonghyun replied giving Kibum a soft smirk. Kibum flushed a little before biting his lower lip.

 

“After we finish with measurements tomorrow, I’ll show you around.” Kibum said blushing madly, avoiding eye contact with Jonghyun. The older smiled, happily. There was something about Kibum that made Jonghyun want to spend more time with him. He seemed to be fragile on the outside, but there was something strong within him, he could tell and it made him want to explore this boy named Kibum.

 

It was around ten o’clock at night when Jonghyun collapsed onto his bed in the hotel. Kibum wanted to walk him back to the hotel, but Jonghyun insisted on taking a taxi. Onew and Changmin were at a restaurant in the hotel enjoying themselves. Jonghyun released a content sigh. He began to think to himself that this vacation would be enjoyable after all.

At his house, Kibum was pacing back and forth in his bedroom. He had a mental checklist of things that needed to be prepared for tomorrow before everyone came over. However, his heart was racing, wildly. This wasn’t the first time that he had these kinds of gatherings at his house so, this is nothing new, but he was nervous. Was for the measuring? Or was it for the event afterwards? Blushing, Kibum sat down onto his bed. He remembered Jonghyun’s face and how happy he looked, that smirk that he gave him. He didn’t want to fall for anyone again after his last boyfriend left him to work with Jessica and her brand. He didn’t want to fall for anyone, but with Jonghyun around it maybe harder to do than he thought.