Chapter 11

Vacation to Paradise

Chapter 11

The day of the contest had crept up on them without much warning. Kibum was so entranced with his work that he hardly payed attention to the calendar or the time for that matter. It was thanks to Taemin who came running into his house at 8 o’clock in the morning asking if he was ready to get to the contest hall.

After a quick breakfast, and an even quicker get ready routine, Kibum found himself at the all too familiar contest hall. It hadn’t changed in all of his years competing. He found himself in the dressing room making final adjustments to the clothing pieces. “You guys look great.” He finally said looking the boys up and down acknowledging his work.

After more final preparations the models all went to their places for the show to begin. Kibum took a deep breath and watched as each competing designer showed their designs. Kibum was watching intently taking mental notes of things that he could use in his own work. He watched as his friends, his models walked down the runway, just like Taemin taught them. He had to admit, he did a better job than the previous time he entered. He watched as his models left the runway and come back to the dressing room where he waited, he smiled when he saw them come in. “How did we do hyung?” Taemin asked. Kibum gave them two thumbs up, “great!”

“Ladies and gentlemen, models and participating designers, please be ready to come up on stage for your scores and the announcing of this year’s winner.” Kibum took a deep breath and went on stage with his models. Jonghyun looked at the designer and squeezed his hand for reassurance. Kibum squeezed back and leaned in to whisper in the older boy’s ear, “No matter the result, thank you for everything.” Jonghyun felt heat rush up in his face. Kibum has never sounded more sincere and happy. Jonghyun nodded and the many groups awaited the results.

The head judge adjusted his glasses and picked up a piece of paper, then he leaned into the microphone and began to speak, “Before we announce the winner, we just want to say that this year was probably the most impressive year we have ever seen for this competition. The designers all did a fabulous job with the theme and did very unique but at the same time created well suited items for this years theme. The models brought all of these wonderful designs to life and they all looked happy to be modeling these fantastic outfits. However there can only be one winner as is true every year. So I will announce the third place winner now.” Kibum took a deep breath, he had to have done better than third, at least that’s what he hoped.

The judge continued, “Now time to announce our second place winner. The second place winner for this years competition is Jessica, congratulations.” The girl smiled and took the medal, she made sure to wave in front of Kibum’s face a little bit as she passed to get back with her models. Then the judge continued, “And now our first place goes to, Kim Kibum, congratulations.” Kibum’s eyes widened as a smile spread from ear to ear on his face. He could hardly contain his excitement. He walked up to the judges and took the first place medal. The judge continued to speak, “as always, the first place winner gets to decide what to do with his designs, in addition to having them sell in stores, Kibum what would you like to do with these designs?” Kibum took the mic and said, “I would like to give these suits to the businessman and company CEO Kim Jonghyun for him and all of his staff to wear. He was so kind in helping me model these outfits that I want him to take them with him, as a thank you gift.” Jonghyun couldn’t believe his ears, Kibum was giving him his designs for his company to wear? He had to thank the younger for this and he knew exactly how.

As the contest hall was emptying out for the night, Jonghyun were walking back to the hotel together for a celebration of the win in one of the restaurants. “Kibum, as a businessman I have to take as many opportunities as I can get, and so I want to thank you for giving me the opportunity to work with you. I also, want to ask if you would like to comeback with me, to Seoul. I know a lot of designers who are looking for aspiring talent like you in opening their own stores with exclusive designs.” Kibum stopped mid step, “A-are you serious?” Jonghyun turned to him and smiled, “dead serious.” “I would love to thank you Jonghyun.” The older smiled and turned to him, “but, there is something I want you to do for me, since you’re doing this and all.” Kibum was listening intently, “go on a date with me, stay with me, be with me?” Kibum smiled like he never smiled before. He hugged Jonghyun tightly and muttered, “yes.” The older returned the embrace just as tightly, spinning the younger around before the continued to the hotel.

Onew was right, sometimes all one needs is a little vacation to paradise to relax from stress and overwork and a little something extra.