Chapter 13

The Art of Flirting

13

 

Jungkook looked furious, seeming larger than life as he towered over Taehyung, who was sitting on the ground with his hands clasped together in mercy.

“I’m not even bothered about the fact that you guys lied to me, but did you really have to go that far Taehyung-hyung?” Jungkook growled, cracking his knuckles menacingly.

“I didn’t go that far?” Taehyung said, instinctively shielding his body with his arms.

“How would you like it if one of your best friends started hitting on the girl you liked, knowing that you had a crush on her?” Jungkook asked, voice dropping lower and lower.

“I didn’t expect Kookie to be this possessive,” Seokjin whispered to Namjoon, who nodded in agreement.

Jungkook must have heard his hyungs whispering because he just scoffed and ushered me down the hall, away from the rest of the boys, staring at him in shock. Once we were far out of earshot, he finally stopped and turned around to face me.

“Are you actually mad at your hyungs?” I asked, taking notice of the small frown on his face.

“Not really, I was just playing around, but the way Taehyung-hyung was touching really bothered me,” he pouted holding my hands.

“Relax Jungkook, he doesn’t like me like that,” I laughed, bumping his shoulder gently. “I’m just a friend and before you ask, I would know because he told me who he liked.”

“Really?” Jungkook said, brightening up and ears perked for potential blackmail material. “Do tell because he hasn’t told any of us yet.”

“You’re really funny if you think I’m going to tell you,” I smile. “He specifically told me to keep it a secret too.”

“Then why’d you bring it up?” Jungkook whined, pinching my cheek, drawing back when I slapped his hand away.

“To stop your nagging,” I replied. “Relax Jungkook, I’m not going to go anywhere. By the way, where are we going, because your hyungs actually do have a recording that they need to go to. You’re free for the rest of the day.”

“Let’s go eat lamb skewers,” Jungkook cheered, dragging my along as he began to run through the lobby. “I’ll pay.” I was about to refuse, but my resolve wavered when I saw the wide smile on his face.

Why not? I’ll just consider this our first date then.

“Why lamb skewers?” I asked as we walked down the street together, Jungkook in sunglasses and a mask to hide his face.

“Because they’re my favorite,” Jungkook said, voice slightly muffled by the mask. “Extra spicy too. Do you eat spicy food?”

“A lot. I’m surprised I haven’t burned holes in my stomach yet,” I laughed, kicking the pebbles as I walked.

“Let’s make a bet,” Jungkook said, grabbing my hand and swinging it back and forth as we walked. “The place I go to as this super spicy mene, and if you get through the menu, you get all the food free. Who ever drinks water first loses. Deal?”

I already new my answer by I pretended to hesitate just to humor him.

“Sure,” I shrugged, already confident that there was no way he could beat me. “I haven't had spicy food in a while so this might be fun.”

“You are so going to lose,” he laughed, surprising me by pushing open the door of a small cozy restaurant that I completely missed. “Ahjumma, I’m back!”

“Oh, Jungkook, welcome,” a voice called, belonging to a small middle-aged woman with curly auburn hair and a striped pink apron. “The usual?”

“Not today,” Jungkook said, pulling off the mask. I glanced at the other customers, wondering if they would recognize Jungkook, but they waved and smiled, probably used to Jungkook dropping by at random times during the day. “I want two orders of everything on the Gochu Gochu Menu.”

“Gochu Gochu? Are you sure?” the lady asked in disbelief. “You nearly drank all my tea the first time you ate it.”

He is definitely going to lose.

“That was a year ago,” Jungkook scoffed cockily. “My taste buds have evolved since then.” I snickered, but straightened up when the lady’s eyes flitted over to land on my.

“And who is this Jungkook?” the lady asked, eyes curling into crescents when she flashed me a smile.

“This is my girlfriend, Michelle,” Jungkook said proudly, bumping his shoulder against mine.

I didn’t expect him to be so advertising about our relationship. It hasn’t even been a day yet.

Wow Jungkook, I was kind of getting worried about you, but it makes me relieved to see that you finally pulled yourself together,” the lady teased. “You two look good together. It’s nice to meet you Michelle. I’m Mrs. Kim, the owner of this restaurant. Just so you know, Jungkook probably owes me a couple hundred thousand won since he eats here so often and never pays.”

“Ahjumma, I said I would pay you back,” Jungkook pouted, glancing sheepishly at me. I laughed, and turned away to hold in my giggles.

“You said that three years ago and I’m still waiting for my payment,”  Ms. Kim scoffed, no real malice in her voice. “Be thankful that I don’t charge interest.”

Jungkook just grinned, making Ms. Kim shake her head and smile, putting her hands on her hips. “Two orders of Gochu Gochu right?”

“Yes please,” Jungkook called, pulling me over to a booth in the corner.

“So,” I began, staring at him as I rested my chin in my palm. “Your taste buds have evolved?” Jungkook blushed and looked down at his hands, which were clasped together. I just laughed and reached over to flick his forehead. “I was just kidding. Don’t take everything so seriously.”

“What’s your favorite thing to do?” he asked suddenly, his blush fading back into his pale skin.

“Why all of a sudden?” I asked, cocking my head in confusion at his abruptness.

“I figured we might as well talk now since we’ll be too busy drinking water later,” Jungkook grinned, top lip disappearing into his teeth.

“Reading,” I said. “Yes, I know I’m a boring person.” Jungkook just laughed and shook his head, gesturing for me to ask him a question. “What are you bad at.”

“Math,” he replied immediately, making me snicker at his lack of hesitation or thought in his answer. His smile faded and he groaned slumping onto the table. “That remind me, I have to take the college entrance exams soon.”

“You’re not in college yet?” I asked, my eyes widening in surprise. “You went to school though. Weren’t you supposed to take it with everyone else last year?”

“Yeah but my schedule clashed with the times and I missed the deadline so I have to take it this year,” he mumbled, forehead still pressed against the cool wood of the table.

“Are the exams that bad?” I asked, taking a sip of water as I watched him suffer.

“I didn’t really have time to go to school. I was technically a student, but most of the time, I didn’t actually go. I tried to get Namjoon-hyung to tutor me, but I don’t really understand his teaching methods.”

“Sure then, I’ll tutor you. Anything for Jungkookie,” I smiled and leaned forwards, ruffling his hair.

“Alright kids, you can have your fun later because the food is here,” Ms. Kim announced, pushing her way between us, arms laden with plates and bowls of bright red chili-infused food. A shudder ran down my spine and I was pleased to see that a shudder ran down Jungkook’s too. “We also give free unlimited drinks with this menu, but if you fail, everything on the menu adds up to 150,000 ₩. Enjoy.”

“Are you sure you want to do this?” I asked, swirling my straw around the bubble tea that Ms. Kim dropped off.

“Of course,” Jungkook scoffed, getting his chopsticks ready. “I’ll have you know, I can handle this no problem.” He immediately began to scarf the food down, grabbing a tiny piece and burying it in rice before shoving it into his mouth.

“Jungkook, that’s cheating,” I laughed, dragging his rice bowl away from him, making him look at me with wide eyes and bulging cheeks. After a moment of furious chewing, he swallowed and grabbed the rice back.

“I never said that we can’t eat rice,” he protest, gulping down about half of his bubble tea. “I just said that first person to finish everything wins.” I rolled my eyes and continued to eat, the spice burning  trail down my throat as I swallowed. Sweat was beginning to bead on my forehead, but the full effects weren’t hitting me yet. Jungkook, on the other hand, was flushed a bright red, gulping down water at the speed of light, and starting on his fifth bowl of rice.

“Jungkook, are you sure you’re okay?” I asked, biting my tongue to distract myself from the spice. “I don’t think it’s good to be eating this much and this fast.”

‘Done,” he gasped, slamming down his chopstick and scooping a piece of ice from his water into his mouth. He gestured at his plates and my eyes widened when I saw that they were indeed empty. I looked down at my plates. Two were empty with two more to go.

“Okay you win,” I grumbled and pushed one of plates towards him. “Here, eat this so we can tell Ms. Kim that we finished everything.” Jungkook grinned and began to eat leisurely this time, still drowning the vegetables in rice. Shaking my head, I finished the last few bites and watched him eat.

“Am I beautiful when I’m eating?” Jungkook asked, raising an eyebrow as he finished the last of the food.

“Very,” I deadpanned, using a napkin to wipe the specks of sauce on his face.

“Give me a kiss then,” he smiled, opening his arms wide. “I won the bet so it’s only right that I get a reward.” I leaned in closer and Jungkook closed his eyes in anticipation. Turning my head, I planted one on his cheek, his eyes snapping open in surprise.

“What was that?” he whined as I leaned back. Lips pushed into a pout, he looked more like a bunny than ever.

“A kiss on the cheek is still a kiss,” I smiled. “Plus, you’re going to have to work harder than that if you want that kind of kiss.”

Jungkook just pouted and raised his hand for the check. Ms. Kim looked at hour empty plates in surprise but waved it off.

“You finished it, you don’t have to pay,” she said, clearing the plates away.

“It’s okay Ms. Kim, we’ll pay,” Jungkook said and I nodded in agreement. “It wouldn’t be fair to you if we ate all this food and just left.”

“I’ll go get the check then,” she said and tottered away, apron stuffed with napkins and hands filled with dirty dishes.

“I’ll pay half since we both ate,” I said, taking out my wallet when I felt his hand grab my arm, stopping me.

“I invited you out, I’ll pay for it,” Jungkook said, dragging my hand away from my pocket and onto the table.

“You didn’t invite me, I just went along with you,” I said, reaching back into my pocket. The check was placed on our table and before I could grab it, it was snatched away by Jungkook who was already handing his card to the waitress. I glared at him and he smiled back, fiddling with his napkin and folding it into a crane. An unconscious smile found its way to my face and I mirrored his actions, folding my own crane.

“Mine is better than yours,” Jungkook declared, standing our napkin crane next to each other. “Look at how neat my folds are.”

“My folds are neat too. I have less creases than you do,” I argued, making my crane peck his crane’s neck. Jungkook scoffed haughtily and made his crane strut away, across the table and into his pocket.

Cute.

The waitress came back with Jungkook’s card. Standing up, Jungkook and I headed out of the restaurant. A gust of wind blew past, making me shiver tuck my hands into my pockets. Something warm touched my hand and I looked down. Jungkook slipped my hands into his pocket and began to walk. I followed dumbly next to him, not noticing the small smile on his face.

“Let’s go back to your dorm,” I said as we walked down the street. “It’s getting dark.” Jungkook grimaced and hung his head.

“I should go apologize to Taehyung-hyung right?” Jungkook asked. I nodded and he sighed gloomily. “Alright. They’re all going to tease me.”

“You’ll survive,” I laughed and pulled him along, heading towards the large apartment building that the dorm was in. After another torturous flight of stairs that Jungkook at to talk me through, we finally entered the dorm, the was of warmth make me relax.

“How was your date?” Seokjin immediately asked as he popped out of the kitchen with a pot of stew in his hands.

“Hyung,” Jungkook protested, flushing a bright red.

“Alright, alright,” Seokjin sniffed, wiping a fake tear with his wrist. “I’m just so proud that our little maknae got himself a girlfriend even before we did.”

“Hyung!” Jungkook protested again, voice rising in embarrassment.

“Come on, everyone’s waiting,” Seokjin said and lead us to the living room. Five very excited faces turned to greet us, and one slightly less excited one just stared. Yoongi would always be Yoongi.

“So,” Hoseok prodded as he sidled up to Jungkook. “How’d it go?” Jungkook walked straight passed him and sat down, pulling me next to him as a shield.

“Sorry, Jungkook is a bit moody right now,” I smiled, patting his hair. “Right Kookie?”

“I’m not moody,” he grumbled, crossing his arms. “It’s just that you guys didn’t react this way when Seokjin-hyung starting dating his ex-girlfriend back then.”

“But Jungkook, you’re the maknae. Seeing you get a girlfriend makes us feel like proud parents,” Seokjin said, flashing me a smile. Jungkook just huffed and hugged me a little closer.

“Jungkook, relax, you’re going to cut off my circulation if you hug any tighter,” I mumbled, prying his arms until they were wrapped loosely around my waist.

“Hurry, get the polaroid,” Jimin whispered furiously flapping his hands at Seokjin. “We can’t miss this. Shooting Jimin a glare, I gently shook Jungkook’s arms, Jungkook rolling his eyes and pouting.

“Oh, I almost forgot,” Namjoon suddenly blurts. “Our salon appointment is tomorrow. Are you going to come, Michelle?”

I was about to nod when I suddenly remembered Ashley’s text message.

Mom and Dad are throwing a party tomorrow to celebrate Ms. Park’s company expansion. At least try to look presentable. It’s all day. Be there.

-Ashley

Sighing, I shook my head. “My parents are throwing a party tomorrow and I have to be there. Sorry, maybe next time.” Resentment rose in me, but I smashed it down, telling myself that others out there had it worse. Shrugging apologetically, I smiled, ruffling Taehyung’s hair as he slumped in disappointment.

“Don’t be so down Tae, I’ll come with you guys next time,” I said. Taehyung made a drawn out petulant whine while hugging my arm like a koala. Laughing, I tried to push him away but he didn’t budge and hugged tighter.

“Taehyung-hyung, please release her,” Jungkook said, face expressionless, but tone dark and threatening.

“Okay, okay,” Taehyung sighed, dropping my arm. “I can’t even hang out with Michelle with you dragging her away all the time.” Jungkook narrowed his eyes at Taehyung and I sighed, flicking him on the forehead.

“Jungkook, calm down. Tae’s not that type of person,” I said, easing him back into a relaxed position. “Right Tae?” Taehyung nodded frantically, hiding behind me, which wasn’t helping his case.

“I didn’t know Jungkook had this side of him,” Jimin whispered loudly to Hoseok who giggled and passed on to Namjoon and Seokjin, both cracking a smile. Yoongi, who overheard, just sighed and shook his head. Jungkook huffed and glared at his hyungs, who gave him sickly sweet smiles in return.

“Let’s go to my room,” Jungkook muttered and stood up, grasping my hand and tugging me gently away from the others.

“Use protection,” Yoongi called as Jungkook was about to close the door. I giggled when Jungkook flushed and slammed the door shut.

“Sorry,” Jungkook said as he plopped down next to me, making the mattress bounce with his weight.

“It’s cute,” I laughed, falling back onto the bed with a relaxed sigh.

“I love them, but they can be really annoying,” Jungkook smiled, lying down and lacing our fingers together. “I still can’t believe I actually worked up the guts to ask you out.”

“I can’t believe someone like you would actually ask me out,” I said, smiling at his confused expression.

“Someone like me?” he asked, furrowing his eyebrows.

“Someone like you,” I said, poking his cheek. “Someone way out of my league.” Jungkook laughed and poked my cheek in retaliation.

“What are you talking about?” he laughed. “If anything, you’re way out of my league.”

“We’re both not good enough for each other,” I grinned, tearing my eyes away from his face and towards the ceiling.

“Which makes us perfect for each other,” Jungkook retorted, holding our hands up.

“I’m trying to decide whether to cringe or laugh,” I said, unraveling his fingers. “Your hand is really big.”

“Because I’m a man,” Jungkook said pompously. Scoffing, I smacked his hand away and pushed his bottom lip back in before it could jut out in a pout.

“When did you start liking me?” I asked, glancing at him out of the corner of my eye.

“I don’t know. Probably at the pastry shop,” Jungkook laughed, recalling the memory. “I thought is was cute how you couldn’t take your eyes off the cream puffs, even when I was talking to you.”

“I just have my priorities set straight,” I mumbled, a far too late apology about to leave my lips.

“How about you?” Jungkook asked, filling in the momentary lapse of silence.

“Most likely when we were at Lotte World,” I said, an image of Jungkook’s silly grin filling my mind. “You were just really nice to me for no apparent reason. Also, the fact that you are really good looking didn’t help.”

“You think I’m really good looking?” Jungkook mumbled, blushing anywhere but at me.

“I’m not even going to deny it.” I sighed ruffling his hair. “I’ll boost your ego just this once.”

My phone suddenly buzzed in my pocket and my eyebrow twitched in annoyance. Swiping it out of my pocket, I groaned once I saw the text message notification.

Mom wants you home right now to set up the decorations and cook. The guests are coming over tomorrow at eight o’clock and staying the whole day. I’m sure you’ll be able to get it done before they come.

-Ashley

“Is something wrong?” Jungkook asked, sitting up, eyebrows drawn together in concern.

“Nothing, I just have to go,” I said. “I can’t see you tomorrow either because I have to me at a party.”

“Oh, okay,” Jungkook said, clearly curious, but he didn’t pry, which I was thankful for. Opening the door, we headed out to find the rest of the boys all piled around the couch watching Taehyung and Jimin play video games.

“I’m leaving now, see you guys later,” I announced as I walked past, just in time to see Jimin lose and Taehyung punch the air in victory. “I won't be coming tomorrow so don’t be too disappointed.”

“Wait why?” Jimin asked, dropping his controller and turned around to face me, swiveling Taehyung around as well.

“Party,” I said crisply, my tone inviting no questions. “My parents need me to be there.” Putting on my shoes, I waved to them and stepped outside, their voices leaking into the silent hallway.

Namjoon’s frowning face was the last thing I saw before the door slammed shut.

 

~

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm so very sorry for not updating. Also because of my major writer's block. I am very unsatisfied with this chapter, but I just don't have it in me to rewrite it. Maybe later. The good new is, my break is starting so I'll be able to update faster. The story is moving along quite well so now I just have to find a way to put it in words. Good luck to me. Enjoy.