Chapter 11

The Art of Flirting

11

 

“Hannah, I broke my record.”

“Record for what?”

“Avoiding house arrest.”

“What was your previous record?”

“About four days.”

“Should I be proud of you?”

“Fine, be that way. Did you buy all the souvenirs I asked for?”

“Everything in France is so expensive. What am I? Made of money?”

“You pretty much are, but you didn’t answer my question.”

“Yes, you golddigger, I did buy everything.”

“In my defence, you never got me that ice cream you promised me, so think of this as compensation. Also, Jimin’s getting kind of anxious. I’m guessing you haven’t contacted him since the last time I called you?”

“That wasn’t too long ago.”

“That was a week ago. He seems pretty down about it.”

“I don’t know what to say to him. I just freeze up whenever he flashes me that smile. He’s too beautiful for me.”

“Well, don’t ask me for help. I’m just telling you that Jimin’s bummed right now.”

“You’re terrible.”

The phone’s screen turned blank and I and collapsed onto the mattress with a sigh, wincing when my back hit the cement floor.

“I really need to get a thicker mattress,” I mumbled. “And some furniture too.”

The dusty cabinets were cleared out, standing in as my makeshift closet and a few cardboard boxes were piled together to make a shoe rack. The grimy lightbulb continued to flicker, casting a sickening yellow light that failed to reach the corners of the basement.

“Michelle!” Ashley’s pitchy voice called from upstairs. “Get me some yogurt.”

I sighed, scrambling to my feet and wrenching open the basement door. “Oh, I’m sorry, should I get you some fried chicken too?” I said sarcastically, glaring at her, sprawled on the couch with her head in Alex’s lap.

“I can’t believe you!” she screeched, sitting up and slapping Alex’s grabby hands away. “I’m on a diet and you actually have the nerve to offer me fried food? You are so stupid!”

If you’re really on a diet, you should get your fat self off the couch and get the yogurt yourself.

Restraining my annoyance, I yanked open the refrigerator and grabbed a yogurt, the flavor she hated most, and held myself back from chucking it at her face. Plastering the fakest smile I could, I handed it to her. “Will that be all Your Highness?” I spat, my smile contradicting my tone.

“God, you are so useless,” she groaned, throwing the yogurt at me. I took a deep breath and tried to calm down when it hit my face and fell to the ground with a plop, staining the carpet and soaking into the expensive fibers. “You can’t even tell which flavors are good and which aren’t. And clean that up. Trash like you should even be able to look me in the eye.”

“Honey, are you okay?” Alex cooed, gently running his hands through Ashley’s hair, mumbling soothing things into her ear. “Did she hurt you at all?”

Boy, I didn’t even touch her. Has she got you drugged or something?

“Oh Alex, she hurt me in the worst possible way!” Ashley whined, a few convincing tears leaking out of her wide eyes. “She hurt my feelings.”

I scoffed, my hands clenched so tight that my nails were cutting into my palm. Alex heard my scoff and glared at me, his eyes filled with genuine anger. “Mr. and Mrs. Lee were kind enough to adopt you and this is how you treat Ashley?” he shouted, picking up the empty yogurt cup and throwing at at me. Catching it as it flew toward me, I raised an eyebrow at him.

“Are you kidding me?” I deadpanned. “Does it look like I’m happy to be here?”

“Go back to your dump like the trash that you are!” Alex said, wrapping a protective arm around Ashley, who looked like she was laughing so hard that she was crying. He probably thought that she was actually crying.

“What are you? My dad?” I scoffed, dropping the cup back into the puddle of yogurt. “Clean that up yourself. By the way, you really need to work on your insults.”

Dusting my hands off, I slammed the basement door as hard as I could, smiling when I heard the satisfying ‘bang.’ I closed my eyes and buried myself inside the thick blankets on the mattress.

I need to get out of here.

 

***

 

The faint sound of the doorbell ringing reached my ears as I trudged up the basement stairs.

“Oh, fancy seeing you here Hannah,” Ashley said in a sickly sweet voice. Immediately, my eyes widened and I ran to the door, breathing a sigh of relief when I saw Hannah at the doorstep, luggage still in her hand and glaring at Ashley.

“Michelle, let’s go,” Hannah said, still not breaking her staring contest with Ashley, who was still smiling, though annoyance flashed through her eyes.

“She can’t go. She’s on house arrest,” Ashley said gently, obviously kissing up to Hannah.

“You know, you’re awfully immature for a woman who’s almost thirty so I’ll let this one slide,” Hannah scoffed. “Be glad I didn’t tell your parents that you flunked your course again.”

Hannah clicked her tongue and gestured for me to follow after her as she swept out the door. I laughed and followed, feeling Ashley’s glare on my back until the car door slammed close.

“I don’t understand how you’re so patient with her,” Hannah sighed, starting the engine.”I would’ve smashed her face into something a long time ago.”

“I have incredible self-control,” I snickered. “I almost blew up this morning so I guess my willpower is weakening. But forget about that. How was your trip?”

“You will not believe how hot French guys are,” Hannah swooned. I leaned over to steady the steering wheel, fearing for my life.

“Hotter than Jimin?” I teased, wiggling my eyebrows suggestively at her.

“No one’s hotter than Jimin,” Hannah mumbled, cheeks reddening while I laughed. “Stop laughing. At least I’m brave enough to admit my feelings!”

“Oh, you did not just go there,” I said, stopping mid-laugh. “First of all, I’m not even entirely sure I like Jungkook. And second, he’s really annoying and uses way too many bad pickup lines.”

“Maybe you’re just into that then. Plus, I really think he likes you,” Hannah smiled, patting my head like I was a dog. “Jimin told me that he’s him never that comfortable around a girl that he met recently.”

“He might think I’m like a sister?” I offered, my heart clenching slightly at the thought.

Siblings are closer than friends so maybe that’s why he’s so comfortable around me.

“Whatever floats your boat, but the ship is still sailing and I refuse to let it sink,” Hannah said.

“There never was a ship in the first place,” I grumbled, hating the fact that she might be right. About my feelings, not her absurd notion that Jungkook might have feelings for me.

“How’s living with the Lees again?” Hannah asked, the playful atmosphere suddenly becoming darker. “I tried to convince Mom, but she wouldn’t listen.”

“It’s fine. I’ve been demoted from a bedroom to the basement and Ashley and Alex are still getting on my nerves as usual, but other than that it hasn’t been too bad. They aren’t home very often so they haven’t aggravated me yet.”

“You know you can get your own place right?” Hannah said, casting me a worried glance.

“I’m tight on money right now, between college payments and debt,” I shrugged, grimacing when an image of the negative numbers in my bank account flashed through my mind. “I’ll manage. Before you say it, no, I’m not going to borrow money from you.”

Hannah sighed and focused on driving, an awkward silence growing between us.

“Where are we going?” I asked, watching the buildings flash by in colorful blurs.

“I’m taking you shopping,” Hannah replied, laughing at my drawn-out groan. “It’s about time you upped your wardrobe game anyway. After all these years you still dress like you’re in middle school.”

“What’s wrong with a T-shirt and a pair of sweatpants?” I groaned, already imaging the long hours of suffering that were inevitable when shopping with Hannah, who practically buys everything she sees.

“I’m going to help you get your man, Jungkook, and to do that, the first thing we have to do is get rid of those nasty sweatpants,” Hannah said, pointing at my baggy gray pants. “You also need a haircut.”

“There’s nothing wrong with my pants and I’m going to get a haircut soon. They boys have a salon appointment next week so I’ll just get my hair done then,” I said, brushing the strands that went down to my lower back.

“Can I come with?” Hannah chirped excitedly, eyes shining at the chance to meet BTS again. “I want to dye my hair again. Maybe a soft blonde this time.”

“I’ll ask, but I’m pretty sure you can come,” I said. “If you keep dyeing your hair, it’s all going to fall out by the time you’re forty.”

“I’ll deal with that when it happens so stop worrying,” Hannah shrugged. “Look, we’re here, and saying that you have to go to the bathroom every five minutes won’t work this time.”

I groaned and Hannah smiled at my displeasure, locking the car with a cheerful chirp as she dragged me through the glass doors. I almost passed out when I saw the 300,000 ₩ price tags but Hannah already had her card ready.

 

“No, I’m not wearing that. It barely covers my .”

“That’s backless Hannah. You’re crazy.”

“That’s practically only a couple of strings.”

“Why are clothes all so scandalous these days?”

Hannah groaned and she tossed the tank top into the growing mountain of rejected clothes. “That’s because you have the mindset of an old lady,” Hannah groaned. “That one was pretty cute too and it would’ve looked great on you!”

“Then you wear it,” I said, digging the tank top out and handing it to her. “I don’t have the figure to pull it off anyway. Which is why I like baggy clothes. It makes me look less fat and I love eating too much to diet.”

Hannah gave me an ‘are you serious’ look and shook her head. “You have no idea what you’re talking about. I would kill to have your body. You have a dancer’s body so show it off. You barely have any fat anyway, it’s all muscle. I would know because I punched you once and my fist hurt.”

I rolled my eyes and sifted through the racks, pulling out a black bomber jacket. I was about to show Hannah when I saw the price tag. Shoving it back onto the rack, I turned back around to face Hannah, only to be met with a glare.

“Why’d you put it back?” Hannah growled like an animal, pushing past me and grabbing the jacket. “This is cute.”

“Uh, they don’t fit me?” I said, more of a question than a statement. I grimaced when I saw the disbelieving look on her face.

“You didn’t even try them on yet, so tell me the real reason,” Hannah said, taking the jacket off the hanger and handing it to me.

“Fine. It’s too expensive,” I grumbled, shoving the jacket back at her. Hannah checked the price tag and furrowed her brows.

“It’s not that expensive,” she said showing me the price tag.

“Hannah, it’s 70,000 ₩ and that’s pretty expensive for a jacket,” I said, eyeing the zeros with distaste.

“If you want it, I’ll buy it for you,” Hannah said, forcing the jacket onto my shoulders. “Consider it a late birthday present.”

“Well, it’s almost four months late, which doesn’t make it a birthday present anymore, therefore, I can’t accept it,” I said, taking it off and putting it back on the hanger.

Hannah was just about to reply when screaming suddenly erupted outside the store, making us instinctively look towards the direction of the sound. My eyes widened when I saw who ran in and Hannah was already growing pale.

“O-Oh my god, it’s J-Jin and J-Hope,” Hannah squealed, Shoving her numerous shopping bags, leaving her hands free to fan herself.

“Hannah, for the last time, you’ve seen them plenty of times before, stop getting starstruck,” I groaned, hanging her bags back onto her arms. Seokjin must have heard Hannah’s squealing because he turned and immediately ran toward us, Hoseok in tow.

“Hide us,” Seokjin whispered, diving into the rack of clothes, arranging them so that they hid his and Hoseok’s figures. Snapping out of her daze, Hannah immediately pretending to be sifting through the clothes on the rack, effectively hiding them from view.

Well, at least she pulls through when it counts.

I whistled between my teeth when a mob of girls ran past the store, still screaming, shopping bags and hair in disarray. When they finally ran past, I nodded to Hannah and she parted the clothes, shooting Seokjin and Hoseok a hesitant smile.

“Thanks girls, you really saved us there,” Seokjin smiled, still trying to catch his breath from running.

“I remember the last time that happened,” Hoseok shuddered. “I lost my jacket in the crossfire and my shirt was nearly ripped to shreds.”

“Glad we’re not famous then,” I laughed helping them up. I cast a look over my shoulder and rolled my eyes. Hannah was, once again, gaping like a fish.

“So, what are you guys up to?” Hoseok asked casually, as if he didn’t just run away from a mob of screaming girls.

“I’m trying to get Michelle to dress better,” Hannah mumbled. “She keeps saying that everything’s too revealing.” Hannah pointed to the mountain of clothes on the counter.

“Oh, can we help?” Hoseok asked, cranking up his thousand watt smile, Seokjin nodding as well.

“Yes, please do, because she’s impossible to work with,” Hannah said, finally getting over her nervousness and raising her eyebrow at me, in silent conversation.

“Can I tell them?” (eyebrow raise)

“I won’t like you anymore.” (lip twitch)

“You always say that.” (eye roll)

“I mean it this time.” (nostril flare)

“I’m telling them then. Speed up the process.” (slight smile)

“I’m telling Jimin, you like him.” (shallow inhale)

“I’m trying to help her impress Jungkook,” Hannah blurted, and I closed my eyes, resisting the urge to shake her by her shoulders in frustration.

That makes Namjoon, Seokjin, and Hoseok. Half the band already. I should’ve never told Hannah.

“Oh really?” Seokjin asked, closely resembling a gossiping mother. “Well let us help then. He’s always ranting about what he likes in a girl to us. His brother recently got a girlfriend so I guess he’s feeling a little jealous.”

“I don’t even know if I like him,” I whined, getting tired of repeating the excuse.

“You’ll find out soon enough,” Hoseok laughed. “Besides, what’s the harm in dolling yourself up once in awhile?”

“I’m not going to say anything. You guys do whatever you want,” I sighed, leaning against the rack and rubbing my temples.

“Let’s have a contest,” Hoseok proposed, an excited gleam in his eye. “Whoever can pick the best outfit wins.”

“Call!” Seokjin and Hannah chorused, shooting each other excited grins.

“May the best stylist win then,” Hoseok grinned, before dashing off, already flipping through the racks like a madman.

“I am going to regret this,” I sighed, sitting down cross-legged on the floor and taking out my phone.

Unread Message(s) from Ashley

Ignoring it, I watched in amusement as Seokjin picked out sweaters and cardigans while Hoseok picked out blouses and skirts. Hannah was so immersed that she almost forgot to apologize when she collided with a sales assistant. Only ten minutes had passed before everyone was back, arms full of clothes. Hoseok’s outfit consisted of a skirt, sweater, and scarf.

“Just a skirt, sweater and scarf?” I asked, holding up the articles of clothing.

Hoseok opened his mouth but Hannah cut in. “You really don’t know anything do you? It’s a black skater skirt, cropped off-white sweater, and a black knit infinity scarf.”

“I can see the clothing, you don’t have to be descriptive,” I deadpanned.

“I’m introducing it properly. Plus, you don’t know anything about clothes so I might as well explain the styles. Hoseok-sshi also looks confused.”

“I just picked what I thought looked good,” he said sheepishly. “Go try them on. We’ll take a picture for every outfit and judge at the end.”

“Wait, let me braid your hair or something so it doesn’t ruin the aesthetic,” Hannah said, forcing me to sit down so she could pull my hair into a braid. “Just so you know, I’m doing a French braid.”

“Yeah, yeah, it makes no difference to me,” I mumbled. Hannah tied the ends together and gave me a shove towards the fitting room, gesturing for me to change quickly.

Hesitantly, I wenting into the fitting room and pulled on the clothes. They felt unnaturally light and flowy, since I usually wore bulky sweatshirts and joggers. Taking a deep breath, I pulled the door open and stepped out, closing my eyes and preparing for the scathing comments.

“Woah,” I heard Seokjin gasp.

“I can be a stylist in the future,” Hoseok said, his smile showing in his voice.

“Not bad Hoseok-sshi, but I can do better,” Hannah said snootily.

I opened my eyes and saw a variety of expressions painted across their faces. Seokjin looked like a proud mother, Hoseok looked very satisfied with himself, and Hannah had gleeful smile.

“Pose, so I can take a picture,” Hannah commanded, holding up her cellphone. Not knowing what to do, I flashed a small smile and held up a peace sign, feeling incredibly awkward and exposed. Hannah seemed to think it was good enough because I heard the sound of camera clicking.

“Okay, my turn,” Seokjin said,  revealing his chosen outfit. Before he could hand them to me Hannah jumped in as ‘emcee’ again, introducing the ‘piece’ with a flourish.

“This outfit consists of a fuzzy oversized cream sweater with black stripes, white skinny jeans, and a cream knit beanie,” Hannah said. “Let me undo your braid so it doesn’t get in the way.”

“You’re really having fun with this, aren’t you?” I grumbled but nevertheless, complying with her demands.

“It’s like a fashion show!” Hannah giggled, undoing my braid at the speed of light. “Let me have my fun.” Shaking my head, I went back into the fitting room. The sweater went on without any problems, though the sleeves covered almost my entire hand. I tried to roll them up, but they kept falling back down so I left them alone. Staring disdainfully at the jeans, I held them up, flipping them back and forth, wondering if my legs would still circulate properly if I tried them on. The image of Hannah forcing the jeans on me flashed through my mind, making me shiver, deciding that it was worth a try. Legs hugged tightly by the fabric, I tugged lightly on the waistband.

How do they even know my size?

Pulling on the beanie, I stepped out again, feeling a little less exposed because Seokjin’s resembled my normal clothes more than Hoseok’s outfit did. Once again, there was statement from each of them.

“Not bad, not bad. I’m actually pretty good at this too,” Seokjin said, nodding in approval.

“You look really fluffy right now, totally huggable,” Hoseok said, flashing me a smile and a thumbs up.

“I’m sure I can still win, though this is definitely giving me a challenge,” Hannah said, looking at me critically like a piece of artwork.

“Just so we’re clear, I’m not buying any of this,” I said gesturing to the outfits. “I’m just humoring you guys right now.”

“Of course you’re not buying any of this,” Hannah scoffed, flicking her wrist at me.

She’s nailing the snooty brat act right now.

“We’re going to buy it for you,” Seokjin, Hoseok, and Hannah all chorused at the same time.

“Wait-” I said, but Hannah, interrupted again.

“Now for the last, and most likely winning, outfit,” Hannah giggled. “Here we have a white boxy tee, black skinny jeans, and a red and black flannel. Just so you know Michelle, you don’t wear the flannel. It goes around your waist.”

“Okay, even I know that,” I rolled my eyes, grabbing the clothes from her. “And we’re still not buying any of this.”

“Just thought that I’d tell you,” Hannah said. “And no complaints. We’re going to buy you the outfits. Right?”

Seokjin and Hoseok nodded in reply.

“I thought you guys were my friends,” I pleaded.

“Which is exactly why we’re going to buy you the clothes,” Seokjin said.

Giving up, I stomped back into the fitting room, pulling the clothes in a hurry, but still careful to not rip the jeans in the process. Stepping out, I turned to face them. This time, there were no comments. Only nods of approval and a proud-looking Hannah. She took the the last picture and I sighed.

“Okay, I’m done now,” I said, immediately going back into the fitting room. Changing into my sweatpants and shirt, I relaxed and went back out, the clothes all on their respective hangers, draped around my arm.

“So who won?” I asked, putting the clothes on my lap as I sat down next to them.

“I might have sent the pictures to Jungkook, so we’ll find out when he replies,” Hannah says, without an ounce of guilt, cackling at my mortified expression.

“I hate you,” I growled, hands balling into fists and my heart pounding out of my chest.

“I love you too,” she said making a kissy face at me, the boys laughing.

Suddenly, my phone rang, Jimin’s contact name flashing on the caller ID. Answering it, I put it on speaker, unable to ignore the curious expressions of the others.

“Michelle we have a problem. It’s Jungkookie.”

“What about him?”

“He has been staring at his phone unblinkingly for the past twenty minutes and just a few moments ago, he got a message from someone and he’s turning really red. I’m starting to get worried. What if he’s looking at inappropriate things?”

“W-Well, I don’t know how to help you with that, so good luck.”

Shakily, I hung up the phone and looked at Hannah, whose smile stretched across the the entirety of her face.

“Well, I guess we know who won,” she beamed, and skipped off, clothes in her arms. The boys followed, chattering happily about Jungkook’s reaction.

“I really need to consider going to Namjoon for therapy,” I muttered, trudging after them.

 

~

I'm almost on time for once and I managed to crank out a slightly longer chapter than usual. Anyway, if you guys can give me some feedback, that would be great. Other than that, I have the entire plot planned out know, but I procrastinate a lot so updates will most likely still be once a week. Enjoy.